•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tektite Skies - Weather Safety Device for Sequence Generator Pro

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:35 AM

http://www.mcdougall...age8/page8.html

Not affiliated with the company, I just think it needed to be put in its own thread since it came out of my request for data on a Cloud Watcher weather station. 

Bottom Line: Trent (developer) has software that detects clouds and stars and can provide an ASCOM 'weather safety' response based on what your sensor sees.  So, if it get's beyond your threshold for clouds, it will act as a kill switch for your observatory.

Link is at the top, it's cheap ($30 bucks or whatever you want to donate), and it works!

Only equipment required is some type of all sky camera.  This could be as simple as a web cam mounted outside your observatory or as complex as an SBIG All Sky camera.  

So, give it a look and see how it fits into your observatory.  

• PeteM, Wford and iwannabswiss like this

#2 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:00 AM

Good to know about.  Thanks for posting!

-Dan

#3 A VAN ZEGVELD

A VAN ZEGVELD

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:05 PM

You will need something else too, without this you'll need to watch the sky yourself.

"2. Pay $30 US via the PayPal button provided."

#4 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:36 PM

A van gled, I don't understand your comment. Yes, he charges for it... It's shareware.
  • budman1961 likes this

#5 AstroGabe

AstroGabe

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SE Wisconsin

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:01 PM

Has anyone else used this product?  Any other experiences and does it do a good job alerting you when the sky clouds up?

Gabe

#6 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:42 AM

Hey Gabe,

I started using it again. It's definitely functional and does what it's supposed to do.

Chris
  • AstroGabe likes this

#7 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:50 AM

Gave, if you go into my new obs thread I posted tektite pictures if you want to see it in action.

#8 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:48 PM

Here is a picture of it right now.

The 'red' lines on the picture is what the program is detecting for clouds.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 12.47.32 PM.jpg

Edited by Raginar, 28 August 2016 - 12:49 PM.

#9 retina boy

retina boy

Messenger

• Loc: Bryan, Texas

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:47 PM

How good a job does Tektite skies do at accurately determining if your sky is cloudy or clear?  I have had it running for a few days using the output from a Moonglow All Sky Cam and it is a bit sketchy in terms of accuracy.  Now granted, the conditions have been poor, moon and clouds but it is having a great deal of difficulty accurately determining if it is clear or cloudy. 

I see a couple of problems with my setup that are not really the fault of Tektite Skies.  1. My All Sky Cam is slightly blurry and therefore the star intensities are not really what they should be.  2. The auto iris causes constantly shifting image exposures.  Tektite Skies requires calibration to certain values and I think that needs to happen on a nice dark and clear night, something I have not yet been able to feed to it.  With proper calibration, my story may really change. 

I really look forward to seeing it run when it is really set up right.

• Wford likes this

#10 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:51 AM

All true.

#11 glend

glend

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:30 PM

Surely this is only useful for people with remote dark site observatories. If it is in your back yard you just need to look outside.

#12 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:43 PM

Nope. I like to sleep while my scope does all the work.
  • archer1960, Astrola72 and leemr like this

#13 leemr

leemr

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:50 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be looking for something like this in the nearish future.

#14 SPACEMAN

SPACEMAN

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: grömme,Belgium

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:06 PM

Dear,

Digging this story back up. I also am looking for a good All sky analyzing solution. 

Does anybody know if this software is still "in production"? Is there still some guaranteed supervision? 

Or is it a lost project. 

I have downloaded the demo version and tested it. And i do get an analysis of an image.

I want to continue with this software, but is this usefull? 

End of this year i will be having an own automated observatory with dome. 

I do not have AAG, Boltwoold or somethings else. I first want to see if tektite skies could do the trick .

Thanks for the response in advance. 

#15 SPACEMAN

SPACEMAN

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: grömme,Belgium

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:55 PM

Just now i got an answer from the producer of Tektite Skies himself!: It is still in production and i will soon be able to test it! Thank you all. 

• SteveInNZ likes this

#16 jonkjon

jonkjon

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Hartfield, VA

Posted 24 October 2020 - 11:24 PM

I know this is an older thread but is anyone still using this on Windows 10? I have some issues with getting it to work and it looks like the email contact for the dev is no longer valid.

--Jon

#17 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2020 - 03:26 PM

I know this is an older thread but is anyone still using this on Windows 10? I have some issues with getting it to work and it looks like the email contact for the dev is no longer valid.

--Jon

Jon,

I haven't used it in a few years.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's deprecated at this point.  I haven't seen anything like it since either.

Chris

• jonkjon likes this

#18 jonkjon

jonkjon

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 October 2020 - 11:30 AM

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. It's a shame this has gone away. Really hoping to find something simple, and affordable for monitoring the sky for clouds. This would have fit the bill nicely for my needs. May have to brush up on my GDI coding skills! Thanks again.

--Jon

• Raginar likes this

#19 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:30 PM

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. It's a shame this has gone away. Really hoping to find something simple, and affordable for monitoring the sky for clouds. This would have fit the bill nicely for my needs. May have to brush up on my GDI coding skills! Thanks again.

--Jon

The challenging part was the integration with a safety monitor.  That was a 'strap on' to his original program.  

• jonkjon likes this

#20 jonkjon

jonkjon

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 October 2020 - 04:56 PM

Yes, I saw that he had an ASCOM utility that set a flag depending on cloudy or clear conditions. That still seems to function with SGP if you can get something to properly set the flag. I tested it using a batch file to set the flag while parsing a METAR from my nearest airport to see if it would work. It did function. It just needs to be able to work with a local camera or local cloud sensor as the METAR data isn't local enough to me.

--Jon

#21 trent_julie

trent_julie

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:21 AM

Hi there,

Nice to see Tektite has use. V3.11 works well on w10, unfortunately the development environment stopped supporting native BMP and did not port over. I have been studying for a couple of years and combined with full time work I have had little free time add new features, although the ideas for improvement hasn't stopped. A stolen laptop has stopped me from updating the site.

Feel free to PM me.

Trent

#22 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:46 AM

I'm now using an AAG Cloudwatcher from Lunatico Astronomica.  Not cheap, but monitors clouds, rain, brightness, temperature, and wind.  

And it has ASCOM drivers so it can be used both an "Observing Conditions" device, and a "Safety" Device at the same time.  You can set the limits for what is considered unsafe, it can be wired up to an alarm, and you can have it control your observatory roof opening or closing, although that can also be handled by your primary software such as SGP when and unsafe condition is reported.

-Dan

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 9.44.50 AM.jpg

#23 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:44 AM

I'm now using an AAG Cloudwatcher from Lunatico Astronomica.  Not cheap, but monitors clouds, rain, brightness, temperature, and wind.  

And it has ASCOM drivers so it can be used both an "Observing Conditions" device, and a "Safety" Device at the same time.  You can set the limits for what is considered unsafe, it can be wired up to an alarm, and you can have it control your observatory roof opening or closing, although that can also be handled by your primary software such as SGP when and unsafe condition is reported.

-Dan

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2020-10-27 at 9.44.50 AM.jpg

Yea, it works sortof.  I found the 'visual' ID of clouds using an all sky camera was more predictive of high level clouds or haze than an IR measurement.  And, I also found I'd rather have a true rain sensor to ensure my equipment was safe from that.  

It was a neat tool.

#24 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:59 AM

Yea, it works sortof.  I found the 'visual' ID of clouds using an all sky camera was more predictive of high level clouds or haze than an IR measurement.  And, I also found I'd rather have a true rain sensor to ensure my equipment was safe from that.  

It was a neat tool.

Not sure what you're referring to as a "real rain sensor".  The Cloudwatcher has a moisture sensor that detects when droplets appear on it.  I also have a weather station with a rain measurement sensor.  In low moisture conditions, like a light mist or slight drizzle, the Cloudwatcher's sensor detects it long before the weather station does.  

-Dan

#25 archer1960

archer1960

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern New England

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:35 PM

Not sure what you're referring to as a "real rain sensor".  The Cloudwatcher has a moisture sensor that detects when droplets appear on it.  I also have a weather station with a rain measurement sensor.  In low moisture conditions, like a light mist or slight drizzle, the Cloudwatcher's sensor detects it long before the weather station does.  

-Dan

Does it react when the moisture is from dew formation? I wouldn't want that; only droplets falling on it...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics