•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tektite Skies - Weather Safety Device for Sequence Generator Pro

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:24 PM

Does it react when the moisture is from dew formation? I wouldn't want that; only droplets falling on it...

No.  There is a heater in the sensor to avoid condensation. Plus there's a calibration procedure where you put tiny droplets on the sensor and adjust the sensitivity to where you want it. 

With normal calibration, a few misty specks of water will not be detected.  But if even a light mist continues, it will build up on the sensor and be detected.  Larger drops like you'd experience in a light drizzle are detected very quickly.  This is unlike most weather stations which use a teeter-toter collection bucket that needs to collect a fair amount of water before it tips and registers a count.

-Dan

#27 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:33 PM

No. There is a heater in the sensor to avoid condensation. Plus there's a calibration procedure where you put tiny droplets on the sensor and adjust the sensitivity to where you want it.

With normal calibration, a few misty specks of water will not be detected. But if even a light mist continues, it will build up on the sensor and be detected. Larger drops like you'd experience in a light drizzle are detected very quickly. This is unlike most weather stations which use a teeter-toter collection bucket that needs to collect a fair amount of water before it tips and registers a count.

-Dan

Yes. The same sensor I’m talking about. Rainsensor.com. It’s a pretty agnostic device that can tell you if it’s rain dew snow etc.

#28 jonkjon

jonkjon

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Hartfield, VA

Posted 03 November 2020 - 03:16 PM

After a bit of fiddling with Tektite Skies, it appears to be working for the most part. I didn't realize that when the button is flashing 'waiting', it takes a total of 10 'cloud' increments to set the cloud flag and remove the IsSafe flag. I do however have to run a calibration at the beginning of every session (i think I can just adjust the % cloud cover) before starting the monitor. The border sizing is still grayed out so I assume that is active with a full version?
I did my testing with some faux images to simulate cloudy/clear conditions as I am currently building my all sky camera. Once that is done and I can confirm proper operation of the app, I would like to purchase the license to remove the demo mode.

I conveyed this information to the dev and I wanted to correct it here so I wouldn't leave a bad impression of the software. I did take the developer up on the option to PM him about the license and a few other questions but I still haven't heard back.

--Jon

#29 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 08 November 2020 - 02:11 PM

Nice 🤗. Say hi for me. He’s a nice guy. Abs yes. The full version does allow full operation.
  • jonkjon likes this

#30 jonkjon

jonkjon

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Hartfield, VA

Posted 08 November 2020 - 09:18 PM

Nice . Say hi for me. He’s a nice guy. Abs yes. The full version does allow full operation.

I will, and thanks for letting me know about the full version operation. I still haven't heard back from him yet but he did say he was quite busy with work and school. Hopefully soon....

--Jon

• Raginar likes this

#31 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2020 - 01:30 PM

Yea, this was definitely a small time gig for him.  Back when I talked to him, he was more than willing to update things to help me out.  He really cares.

I think he's in AUS btw.

#32 trent_julie

trent_julie

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 November 2020 - 04:29 AM

Hi guys,

Right you are I am in AUS and I care and its nice to see some familiar names, ts just a problem of zero time.... I'm sorry I haven't got back to everyone. I feel v3.11 is pretty robust all the same. I have contacted Jon directly. 

Cheers,

Trent

Edited by trent_julie, 10 November 2020 - 04:29 AM.

• Raginar likes this

#33 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2020 - 10:13 AM

Hi guys,

Right you are I am in AUS and I care and its nice to see some familiar names, ts just a problem of zero time.... I'm sorry I haven't got back to everyone. I feel v3.11 is pretty robust all the same. I have contacted Jon directly. 

Cheers,

Trent

Trent! How you doing brother?  I'm glad you're working hard.  Thanks for checking back with us.

Chris

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics