•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Playing with crystals

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:41 PM

I recently acquired a compound microscope from a fellow astronomy club member. I've been wanting one for a long time but never pulled the trigger, until now. It has been a blast playing with it looking at just about anything I can put on a slide. I read through some of the post here about growing crystals and decided to give it a go. Seems one of the more popular "recipes" is aspirin and alcohol. I did not have either ingredient on hand so I substituted tylenol and acetone! I had to let the tablet sit overnight in the solution but it finally melted down. I spread the solution onto a slide, with a cover slip in the middle, and put it under my reptile light to dry. Here is what I got:

tylenol_mound_resized.jpg

tylenol_sunrise_resized.jpg

tylenol_under_slip_resized.jpg

The first two pics were taken away from the cover slip. The third pic is through the cover slip. It was fascinating all of the varied structure when panning around the slide. Some of the crystals looked like snow covered mountain chains, others looked like steep cliffs! It is obvious by the third pic that the cover slip really stunted the crystal growth. 

FYI...I used my two piece polarizing lunar filter for the experiment. I put one half of the filter directly on the condenser and the other half on the eyepiece. Simply rotating the eyepiece filter created kaleidoscope of colors! 

Keith

#2 Otto Piechowski

Otto Piechowski

Vanguard

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:52 AM

Keith,

Those views are pretty and interesting.  Please continue to post your results (written or image) with various attempts to produce and view crystals.

Otto

#3 Silveradogold

Silveradogold

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:41 AM

Nice images,

Keith, try looking at gypsum crystals with two polarizer filters with the fields crossed.

I am sure you will be glad you did.

I haven't had a microscope for some years now but when I did I found beautiful images saturated with colors with this type of crystal.

BTW, gypsum is the white material in drywall or sheet rock.

And polarizer filters can be made up from a cheap pair of polarized sunglasses, although the filters that are sold for photography are a bit better.

Clear Skies ----- Silveradogold :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics