•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Takahashi FC-100DL

• Please log in to reply
906 replies to this topic

#1 StarDust1

StarDust1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:37 AM

It seems that Takahashi has released an FC-100DL refractor. The focal point seems to be f/9 (or 900mm). I assume it's an fluorite doublet, just like the FC100D (f/7.4). 

More information:

http://cz-telesco.bbs.coocan.jp

Attached Thumbnails

• 1022_1.jpg

Edited by StarDust1, 16 August 2015 - 02:22 PM.

• Scott Beith, jrbarnett, Sasa and 3 others like this

#2 dweller25

dweller25

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:55 AM

Hmmm - the tripod looks like a repainted Skywatcher and the black focuser looks very non Tak ???

• roadi likes this

#3 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:31 AM

The Japanese site says that 

1. It will be available next month.

2. TSA-102 may be discontinued.

3. Star image was as good as TOA 130.

PS: If you scroll down a little, you will see first light report of FSQ-130ED next to 10" f/9 :)

Tammy

• StarDust1, Sky Muse and Peter Besenbruch like this

#4 StarDust1

StarDust1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:42 AM

Thanks Tammy  :waytogo:

I heard the discontinuation of the TSA series as well. I'm not sure the reason behind that.

I hope that Tak comes with a 5" or 6" fluorite doublet. 

• waso29, zsb04 and Far Star like this

#5 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:54 AM

Interesting developments :)

• lionel likes this

#6 tomcody

tomcody

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:12 AM

And more interesting, notice the clam shell in the pic: five holes on the top mating surface! finally a way to attach guiders, RDF's etc and hold them in alignment on a Tak clam shell.

Rex

#7 StarDust1

StarDust1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:20 AM

And more interesting, notice the clam shell in the pic: five holes on the top mating surface! finally a way to attach guiders, RDF's etc and hold them in alignment on a Tak clam shell.

Rex

Rex,

There have been for some time the Tak clamshell with three holes on the top surface. They where available in Japan and at the Takahashi Dealer in France. I have one for my FSQ85, (same diameter as FC100D). The five holes is first for me as well. 

#8 tomcody

tomcody

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:48 AM

Hmmm - the tripod looks like a repainted Skywatcher and the black focuser looks very non Tak ???

Hard to tell from that small picture, but to me it looks like a Sky90 ( 2.6" focuser) in black. Tak made some focusers in black for their 70th anniversity  editions, perhaps all the negitive Tak  green remarks are causing them to rethink the color schemes?

Rex

• KJL likes this

#9 Markab

Markab

Viking 1

• Loc: Space Coast USA

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:18 AM

This is a wonderful development!  An f/9 fluorite Tak!  I already have an AP Traveler but would be VERY curious of this new scope. And, if Tak would build a 5 or 6" fluorite doublet again, I would not be able to resist.

• Far Star likes this

#10 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Basque Country

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:26 AM

I heard the discontinuation of the TSA series as well. I'm not sure the reason behind that.

TOA-110F? Please please  :bow:  :bow:

#11 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:05 PM

excellent news!  Just the other day I was carping about no f/8 or f/9 refractors around!  Let's hope this f/9 doublet line expands.  When is the last time an f/9 or longer refractor was introduced??   :jump:  :jump:

But why discontinue the TSA102?  I don't see the connection there unless there's a TOA102 or TOA110 coming out.  

So the DL looks like the DF tube at f/9.  Most interesting.  I would be all over this scope.  My only complaint about my new FC76 is that it's f/7.5 and not f/8 or f/9.  The difference between f/7.5 and f/9 on eyepieces like Brandons, Plossls, and orthos is huge.  

Also for a 2-element apo for visual use, going to f/7.5 instead of f/9 make no sense.   You're essentially handicapping the lens with extra false color just to make the tube 6 inches shorter; it's still going to be a long tube.

Edited by Scott99, 16 August 2015 - 12:19 PM.

#12 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:41 PM

Ah, my next purchase!  My preference is for an f/9 versus the f/7.4 of the FC-100DC.  Thanks for posting this!

• StarDust1 likes this

#13 Star_Shooter

Star_Shooter

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:06 PM

Another 4 inch Tak? Why not a FC-125 or FC-150 or TSA 150?

• StarDust1 and Far Star like this

#14 zsb04

zsb04

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:00 PM

agreed, need something new from them larger, i was soo close to buying 100-df, glad i put it off, perhaps a 100-dl is in order, but they really need to make a 5-6 inch doublet flourite or bigger tsa

• StarDust1 likes this

#15 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:16 PM

agreed, need something new from them larger, i was soo close to buying 100-df, glad i put it off, perhaps a 100-dl is in order, but they really need to make a 5-6 inch doublet flourite or bigger tsa

Or better still, why not get rid of the exclusive distributorship and go dealer-direct so the US market can enjoy home market pricing.  Tak scopes here are marked up by 30% or more compared to Japan retail.  Imagine the US mark-up over wholesale!

- Jim 

• rolo, Raginar, WesC and 2 others like this

#16 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:32 AM

Or better still, why not get rid of the exclusive distributorship and go dealer-direct so the US market can enjoy home market pricing.  Tak scopes here are marked up by 30% or more compared to Japan retail.  Imagine the US mark-up over wholesale!

- Jim 

We've been getting "shafted" by Takahashi for decades....now more than ever!

#17 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Skylab

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:12 AM

- Jim 

I come to the U.S. for work all the time and love filling my bags with gear to bring home. You are lucky to have the biggest and best astro market in the world. But the Tak prices are off the planet. I just ordered a TOA130 for $3600 AUD less than I could get it in the U.S.

• Raginar, Kunama and Sockrateez like this

#18 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:29 AM

- Jim 

I come to the U.S. for work all the time and love filling my bags with gear to bring home. You are lucky to have the biggest and best astro market in the world. But the Tak prices are off the planet. I just ordered a TOA130 for $3600 AUD less than I could get it in the U.S.

Remind me to give you a shopping list when you next fly Allan ................

Edited by Kunama, 17 August 2015 - 04:29 AM.

• BRCoz likes this

#19 StarDust1

StarDust1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:06 AM

I'm curious how much difference would be at the eyepiece between FC100D (f/7.4) and FC-100DL (f/9)?

And yes, we need a 5" - 6" Tak fluorite doublet. 

• Far Star and Sockrateez like this

#20 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Skylab

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:50 AM

- Jim 

Remind me to give you a shopping list when you next fly Allan ................

Absolutely. As long as it gets me a look through the Kunama Reflector.

#21 tomcody

tomcody

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:17 AM

- Jim 

Keeping the doors open with a LOW volume high end boutique business takes a high markup and even then profits are not that great, ( I know from personal experiance ). Anyone who has actually looked at the TNR shop can see it is not swimming in wealth ( or located in a fancy mall or high rent shopping location). Sure people could circumvent the distributorship process and save some money but the cost of not having a USA distributer would be : no in country repair or service or stock, everything would be a overseas order.

All in all, I think we are better off having a US distributer than not and that costs something!

Rex  

Edited by tomcody, 17 August 2015 - 08:18 AM.

• jimandlaura26, Scott in NC, Erik Bakker and 8 others like this

#22 Danny206

Danny206

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:26 AM

- Jim 

I have thought about this too. Tak scope and accessory prices are too high ! But on the other hand, there are import duties that contribute to the US prices (  I assume )  and Texas Nautical do a good job of service after purchase ( but also pricey )

#23 Danny206

Danny206

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:31 AM

- Jim 

Keeping the doors open with a LOW volume high end boutique business takes a high markup and even then profits are not that great, ( I know from personal experiance ). Anyone who has actually looked at the TNR shop can see it is not swimming in wealth ( or located in a fancy mall or high rent shopping location). Sure people could circumvent the distributorship process and save some money but the cost of not having a USA distributer would be : no in country repair or service or stock, everything would be a overseas order.

All in all, I think we are better off having a US distributer than not and that costs something!

Rex  

If there was no exclusivity of dealership with TNR and Tak I have no doubt prices would be much lower. ie, if some of the large retailers were allowed to import and sell. But Tak and TNR have had a business relationship for decades so its hard to see that changing. But there are ways around it- ie a grey market can come about with telescope trading sites like the one here and astromart. Some Japanese sellers are already selling used scopes and making a margin that way.

#24 Danny206

Danny206

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:38 AM

the new scope looks great! but its sad that the TS102 may be discontinued. I thought that one was a winner. perhaps the profit margin wasn't there?

#25 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Basque Country

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:00 AM

I Can't understand why only Takahashi's situation requires other solution that actually is working same way that other manufacturers are using. Not only that, even some manufacturer hasn't got an official distributor in Europe (not to say a repairing service or at least first level of it) and only are offering a selling service.

TEC is good example of this. Selling the TEC140ed in USA at 5900$ -taken it from TEC website- but at 7225$ in Europe -taken it from a European seller- . Wait... it's an increase of nearby 25%. ... :grin:

• tomcody and StarDust1 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics