•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Takahashi FC-100DL

• Please log in to reply
906 replies to this topic

#51 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:52 AM

The cost of living is higher in Japan.  The total size of the market is smaller.

I'm not sure this is the case. Astronomy is a popular hobby in Japan, compared to the US and Europe. Every university and high school has an observatory, almost without fail. I'm following a blog from a japanese amateur and he often reports from different astronomy shops in his area and boy, there's a lot of them! And lots and lots of well-visited, popular public observatories as well. 

And since their apartments are often small, small to medium aperture apochromats seem to be the scope of choice. Especially since photography is immensely popular. 

My gut feeling is that the market for apochromatic refractors is considerably larger in Japan, than it is in the US. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• edif300, tomcody and Bomber Bob like this

#52 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:55 AM

Yes, the original FS128 is long, very long tube

As a long time user of 80mm f/15 and 85mm f/19 refractors, I laugh at such statements. An FS 128 is a short, portable rich-field telescope. 

Really, it is.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Scott in NC, Erik Bakker, Scott99 and 3 others like this

#53 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:20 AM

Matt, at least you are speaking from a position of experience having owned a number of beautiful Tak scopes. But maybe you are turning into a Dob convert. Time will tell. I wonder if there is a place for both types in your life.

I still have a few refractors here Allan.  The dob build is just to see if I could do a decent job of making one.  I am including space on the dob for an X-Y mount for the FC76DC.

As for bigger refractors, depending on a few relocation plans over the next couple of years ......... there could be a DIY build of 204mm in the pipeline .... maybe!

• Allan Wade likes this

#54 tomcody

tomcody

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:30 AM

Another 4 inch Tak? Why not a FC-125 or FC-150 or TSA 150?

agreed, need something new from them larger, i was soo close to buying 100-df, glad i put it off, perhaps a 100-dl is in order, but they really need to make a 5-6 inch doublet flourite or bigger tsa

Or better still, why not get rid of the exclusive distributorship and go dealer-direct so the US market can enjoy home market pricing.  Tak scopes here are marked up by 30% or more compared to Japan retail.  Imagine the US mark-up over wholesale!

- Jim 

We've been getting "shafted" by Takahashi for decades....now more than ever!

Keeping the doors open with a LOW volume high end boutique business takes a high markup and even then profits are not that great, ( I know from personal experiance ). Anyone who has actually looked at the TNR shop can see it is not swimming in wealth ( or located in a fancy mall or high rent shopping location). Sure people could circumvent the distributorship process and save some money but the cost of not having a USA distributer would be : no in country repair or service or stock, everything would be a overseas order.

All in all, I think we are better off having a US distributer than not and that costs something!

Rex  

Implausible.  

The cost of living is higher in Japan.  The total size of the market is smaller.  And yet the dealers there manage to make ample profits on Takahashi goods selling 30% below the US MSRP as set by the exclusive distributor here.

If anything the opposite is true - the greater volume here should allow LOWER pricing than in the smaller Japan market.  There would be plenty to pay dealers and distributor lower overhead too.

It's a greed thing.  Trust me.   :grin:

Regards,

Jim

I won't argue about things like market size for which I have no data ( although I think the market in Japan is greater and the US market is very small-judging from CN user postings ) but one thing I will give you regarding US pricing is that the US MSRP has stayed the same for  two years even though the Yen-dollar exchange has dropped by 20-25% , which makes US prices look artifically high.

Rex

• mblack and Sockrateez like this

#55 Markab

Markab

Viking 1

• Loc: Space Coast USA

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:59 AM

Actually, I don't believe there are any import duties/taxes for refractor telescopes into the USA from Japan. Somebody needs to check me on that, but a while back I was looking at the register (which is incredibly complicated and detailed), but seem to remember specifically that refractor telescopes were exempt.

#56 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:21 AM

Actually, I don't believe there are any import duties/taxes for refractor telescopes into the USA from Japan. Somebody needs to check me on that, but a while back I was looking at the register (which is incredibly complicated and detailed), but seem to remember specifically that refractor telescopes were exempt.

Some time back, I Googled around and I posted some information about Harmonized Tariff Schedule for telescopes/binoculars.  I have no idea how it applies to dealer, though :)

http://www.cloudynig...-2#entry3710361

Here is document, bit old but look for telescope in the document below.

http://www.usitc.gov...ter/0911c90.pdf

Tammy

#57 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:59 PM

I would be happy with a fresh FS152NSV from the Tak factory, with the original coating and glass, that's going to be a keeper and then I'm done with reading all these equipment sites :p   :lol:

I have one but I still read these threads all the time!!! :fingertap:

• mblack, doctordub, Astrojensen and 3 others like this

#58 Far Star

Far Star

Ranger 4

• Loc: Germany

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:42 AM

Another 4 inch Tak? Why not a FC-125 or FC-150 or TSA 150?

A Tak FC-125 would be my dream telescope!

#59 StarDust1

StarDust1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:36 AM

There is more information on the FC-100DL:

http://astro365.exbl...8718_011369.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• FC100DF-1.jpg

• Scott Beith, Sasa, Stellarfire and 3 others like this

#60 StarDust1

StarDust1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:37 AM

And one more...

image from vendor website

• Sasa, Stellarfire and Sky Muse like this

#61 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:51 PM

wow, if I could possibly convince myself that I need a 4 inch refractor this would be great!!   Only 8 pounds.   thanks for posting the photos.

Looks like the FC-125 turned out to be a Goto 125mm prototype, we may never seen it unfortunately. 

What happened to the Tak green focuser?  Black?  no way!

Edited by Scott99, 02 September 2015 - 04:52 PM.

#62 Danny206

Danny206

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:11 PM

perhaps there is a weight savings on the new focuser ? I wonder what material it is.

#63 LewisM

LewisM

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Somewhere in the cosmos...

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:29 AM

Black eh.... at least Jim can't complain about toothpaste paint :p

I like it... definitely on the visual list.

BUT.... just look at that FSQ-130ED in the background...drool...

I hope Tak goes back to fluorite for the astrographs eventually. And reintroduce the FCT series now the TSA-102 is defunct.

• Sky Muse, WesC and mikeDnight like this

#64 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:35 AM

Looks like the FC-125 turned out to be a Goto 125mm prototype, we may never seen it unfortunately.

I'll keep my eyes open. It should not be impossible to order one from abroad. Kokusai Kohki may be able to help. The owner, Barry Gooley, is extremely helpful and speaks english. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• Stellarfire, Sky Muse and Bomber Bob like this

#65 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:39 AM

BTW, it may be entirely possible that Goto Tokyo is "testing the water" with these prototypes, to maybe judge whether a reentry in the amateur telescope market is worthwhile. The 100mm f/10 sold out extremely quickly, from what I understand, so the brand Goto Tokyo is apparently still very strong.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#66 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:56 AM

BTW, it may be entirely possible that Goto Tokyo is "testing the water" with these prototypes, to maybe judge whether a reentry in the amateur telescope market is worthwhile. The 100mm f/10 sold out extremely quickly, from what I understand, so the brand Goto Tokyo is apparently still very strong.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark 

Thomas - I suspect the brand affinity is still strong in the US too.  Like of the stuff of dreams and fantasy.  Refractor people over here would go crazy!   I remember seeing brochures of their observatory-sized refractors back in the 1980's.   

These two longer-focus doublets are very similar to my old AP Star 12 at 120mm f/8.5.  Very versatile and powerful for a small scope.  Ideal for non-imaging users.  The f-ratio is great with high-contrast orthos and plossls (Brandons!) and you don't need a barlow lens either.  Tube is long but very light and works on small mounts.  Unlike f/12 or f/15 scope you can still get very wide fields with a typical 2-inch eyepiece.

Edited by Scott99, 03 September 2015 - 11:58 AM.

• ThomasWos likes this

#67 doctordub

doctordub

Vanguard

• Loc: New Rochelle, New York

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:16 PM

I would be happy with a fresh FS152NSV from the Tak factory, with the original coating and glass, that's going to be a keeper and then I'm done with reading all these equipment sites :p   :lol:

I have one but I still read these threads all the time!!! :fingertap:

Ditto!

CS

Jonathan

• Freakshow likes this

#68 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:29 PM

Just found out that the 125mm f/9.6 Goto Tokyo is going to be very limited production only (at least for now). Only 25 samples are planned! Anyone wanting to get one should act immediately. 

http://gototelesco.co.jp/index.html

http://gototelesco.c...essrelease.html

If you don't speak Japanese, and still want it very, very badly, contacting Barry Gooley at Kokusai Kohki might be your best bet. 

http://www.kkohki.co...kohkiparts.html

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

Edited by Astrojensen, 03 September 2015 - 02:32 PM.

• Sasa, Stellarfire and Bomber Bob like this

#69 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:09 AM

Thomas, thanks, I've got a feeling these 25 scopes will remain within Japan.  The price to extract one is probably going to sting!    We'll have to hope Goto makes these 100mm and 125mm amateur scopes into a permanent offering.

The press release is most interesting.  So it's built like a tank - 9 kg.  I like they way they've included modern innovations like 2-speed focuser and sliding dewshield.  This would be an amazing scope.

Bing translator somewhat mangled the text but I love this paragraph - as we surmised, this scope is basically dedicated exclusively to visual observers - long f-ratio, faster cool-down, etc.  Glad to see part of the astro community in Japan still values this type of quality scope:

>>AIT GTM100/1000 APO as well as Visual emphasis on design 2 ball F9.6ED apochromatic lens adopted, from the low magnification

It is better balance covering the high magnification focal length refracting telescope. Amid the recent short-focus and photo Visual of
Is has become a priceless Speck. Also 2 piece ball that is objective, optics temperature adaptation easily, practical
Aim the telescope considering.

#70 Alvin See

Alvin See

Viking 1

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:45 PM

In case you guys have not seen this:

http://www.kyoei-osa...hi-fc100dl.html

• Stellarfire likes this

#71 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:59 PM

In case you guys have not seen this:

http://www.kyoei-osa...hi-fc100dl.html

!!!!!!!!!!!   :bow:  :bow:

Attached Thumbnails

• takahashi-fc100dl_03.jpg

Edited by Scott99, 04 September 2015 - 02:00 PM.

• Scott Beith, StarDust1, Sky Muse and 2 others like this

#72 StarDust1

StarDust1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

Now it's official, it's on the Takahashijapan website as well  :grin:

http://www.takahashi...s_fc-100dl.html

#73 StarDust1

StarDust1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:34 PM

So what do you think of the spot diagram of the FC-100DL ?

http://www.takahashi..._aberration.jpg

Edited by StarDust1, 05 September 2015 - 10:32 AM.

#74 Markab

Markab

Viking 1

• Loc: Space Coast USA

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:00 PM

Looks like the spot diagrams suggest a much cleaner image than the current FC. It kind of is surprising that a f/1.5 difference in focal ratio could be so profound.

If/when this goes on sale in the States, I am mighty tempted. Of course, if they would come up with an equivalent FC-125 or FC-150, I would have put my order in yesterday.

I am so glad that Tak is actually putting forth effort for the visual-only crowd, as almost all new telescope designs offered in the past decade or 15 years have catered to the astrophoto community. And current exchange rates would suggest an OTA price of $1,977. Of course, given the distributor costs and current price of the FC-100, I would expect the actual US price to probably be $2,500-$2,700.

Edited by Markab, 04 September 2015 - 04:08 PM.

• StarDust1 likes this

#75 StarDust1

StarDust1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:05 PM

And chromatic correction between TSA-102 and FS-102 for comparison...

Can't find one for the FC-100D.

http://www.takahashi...-102.optics.php

Edited by StarDust1, 05 September 2015 - 10:33 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics