•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Baader Planetarium Morpheus

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:45 AM

Morpheus, in Greek mythology known as the god of dreams, and now the new Baader Planetarium entry in the field of high-performance wide fields.  In field tests, Morpheus eyepieces proved themselves to be a very sizable step up in both performance and ergonomics compared to the older Hyperion line.

Click here to view the article
  • gilbertqf16 and Juan Rayo like this

#2 Mike G.

Mike G.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:31 AM

great review, Bill, thanks for all the hard work!

#3 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:05 PM

Bill said: "oddly lateral color in the 8" SCT seemed less than in the 10" Dob"

This is because the lateral color is induced by the wider light cone in the dob.  The rays hit the lenses more obliquely and, hence, "prism" more.

If you compared these eyepieces in 5 different focal ratios from f/5 to f/15, you would see a smoothly declining lateral color as the f/ratio became larger.

• Chassetter and Augustus like this

#4 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:19 PM

Bill,

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Clear Skies,

Phil

#5 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:52 PM

This is because the lateral color is induced by the wider light cone in the dob.  The rays hit the lenses more obliquely and, hence, "prism" more.

If you compared these eyepieces in 5 different focal ratios from f/5 to f/15, you would see a smoothly declining lateral color as the f/ratio became larger.

Excellent!  For some reason I had always thought the lateral color was a fixed attribute of an eyepiece.  Makes sense.  Thx!

Edited by BillP, 20 August 2015 - 03:52 PM.

#6 nkoiza

nkoiza

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:20 PM

I very much enjoyed reading your excellent review and thank you Bill for addressing my previous query regarding the suitability of the 12.5mm Morpheus without a coma corrector in fast Dobsonians, where it would appear that off-axis performance can be more or less acceptable.

Will you be extending your current line up to include one or two of these eyepieces, and if yes, which ones? I am thinking about the 12.5 to fit between my 14 Denk and 10 XW, and possibly adding the 9 despite this potentially rendering the 10 XW redundant.

#7 BGeoghegan

BGeoghegan

Ranger 4

• Loc: Eastern CT

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:32 PM

Many thanks to Bill for the in-depth report. I also find the eye stretch needed for 82°+ EPs takes some of the pleasure out of using them. My next EP selection may come down to a Morpheus vs Delos debate.

#8 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:44 PM

Will you be extending your current line up to include one or two of these eyepieces, and if yes, which ones? I am thinking about the 12.5 to fit between my 14 Denk and 10 XW, and possibly adding the 9 despite this potentially rendering the 10 XW redundant.

I have not tried the 17.5mm so want to try those.  I am thinking binoviewing.  So a pair of the 14mm or the 17.5s because the bino experience with these was so incredibly "transcendental" :grin:   When I bino with the 14's it's like this huge wide bino-field sits in front of your eyes and is just incredible!  If you need the small spacing between the 14 and 10, then would definitely do the 12.5mm.

#9 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:50 PM

Excellent!  For some reason I had always thought the lateral color was a fixed attribute of an eyepiece.  Makes sense.  Thx!

It can be due to constructive/destructive interference when light passes through the anti-reflection coatings at angles they weren't designed to handle.

It can be due to a simply prismatic effect when light passes obliquely through a lens which is wedge-shaped at the edge.

It can be due to different refractive indices of glass elements not interacting well when light doesn't pass through straight.

And it can be due to looking through the lens at the wrong angle, corrected by looking through at a different angle.

I guess all could be considered fixed attributes of the eyepiece, since the issue could be replicated at will.

But there are two forms of lateral chromatic aberration: prismatic smear (one color is offset from another) or simple inability to focus the relevant colors simultaneously (one color becomes a fringe to the other, as in normal CA like the purple haze in an achro refractor).  I've seen both in eyepieces.  Prismatic smear may be reduced by looking through the eyepiece at a different angle, while normal CA may not be mitigated even with a slight refocusing of the edge.

#10 Tom_m

Tom_m

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Slovenia, Europe

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:53 AM

Many thanks to Bill for the in-depth report. I also find the eye stretch needed for 82°+ EPs takes some of the pleasure out of using them. My next EP selection may come down to a Morpheus vs Delos debate.

I am in the same camp as you, and my next EP selection alredy is Morpheus vs Delos debate. :grin:

Really excellent review BillP! I love how you described the engaging views quality, I am totally hooked!

• BGeoghegan likes this

#11 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:59 AM

Here's another review of the 12.5mm.....

http://www.eastmidla...m-76°-eyepiece/

Bob

#12 esd726

esd726

Apollo

• Loc: Rochester, IN

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:26 PM

Great review Bill......like always :waytogo:

#13 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:56 PM

Nicely done, Bill! :waytogo:

#14 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Gemini

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:54 PM

If  Baader really got that "floating" effect down, these will be on my collection soon. I really enjoyed this article. Thanks for putting in so much effort

:waytogo:

#15 Andy Howie

Andy Howie

Ranger 4

• Loc: Paisley, Scotland

Posted 22 August 2015 - 05:10 AM

Nice review Bill, as always :smile: . Many thanks for the time & effort put in.

Andy.

#16 cwilson

cwilson

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Oklahoma

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:36 AM

Great review! Very informative as always!

#17 TH1

TH1

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Silicon Valley

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:41 PM

It's funny how all these eyepieces coming out look like the D21's and D14's I got from Denkmeier years ago from Russ.

But they sure don't perform like the Denk's - unbeatable contrast.

Russ, you're the best.

#18 RichA

RichA

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 23 August 2015 - 04:24 PM

Very good, thorough review, thank you.  I just wish eyepieces today weren't going for some kind of weird "look."  Clean designs are more attractive, IMO.  Also, the glow in the dark feature could be enhanced (longevity) if they used strontium aluminate as the active ingredient instead of the old sulfide glow in the dark-based paint. 

#19 john2233

john2233

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:40 AM

Thanks for the review ! These eyepieces are a very good alternative to televue and pentax here in Europe. I look forward on your review for the 17.5mm !

#20 DennisM

DennisM

Lift Off

• Loc: Marana, AZ

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:45 PM

Thank for the review.  Will have to check these out further.

#21 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:57 AM

Excellent review as always BillP.  I just wish I could read the good ones with out wanting to run out and buy them.  So far I'm still resisting on the Morphei.

#22 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Messenger

• Loc: Idaho, USA

Posted 09 October 2015 - 07:25 AM

Thank you for an engaging and excellent review! I'm in the "planning stage" in purchasing a binoviewer and your description of the Morpheus 14mm EPs has placed them at the top of my "A": list.

#23 norcaltakguy

norcaltakguy

Explorer 1

• Loc: Elk Grove CA / USA

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:30 AM

Bill, you are a god send to amateur astronomy, insightful reviews, brilliantly explained and above all else, you give astro enthusiast reasons to explore and look at various equipment options...

Well done, superb review!!! 

Keep looking up...

JE

#24 davidpitre

davidpitre

Skylab

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:17 PM

Anyone else get a hold of one on these? I'd like some more opinions.

#25 BinoGuy

BinoGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:07 PM

Truly an epic & awesome review.  Thank you.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics