•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where are the Maksutov-Cassegain people?

• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

#26 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:15 PM

For me, though, a 127 Mak would probably be a lot easier to take out of the house and mount than my 120mm f/7.5 ED.

Mike

#27 Eric63

Eric63

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:25 PM

For me, though, a 127 Mak would probably be a lot easier to take out of the house and mount than my 120mm f/7.5 ED.

Mike

Something I learned early; ease of use and comfort = lots of viewing :)
  • Sarkikos, Astrojensen and jgroub like this

#28 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:34 PM

" Ironically enough with all the hoopla about CO size, I haven't heard too much from actual owners of MC's in the complaints department in regards to CO. Everyone seems to say sharp contrasty views."

All high end Maks produce sharp and contrasty views, but to be specific, compared to what?
Some are a little better than the standard general purpose F/10-F/12 models with large CO.

I have three Maks, 6”, 8” & 10”. The CO of the 6” model is about 29.6%, definitely not as contrasty as my 6” apo, but the two larger Maks both have 22% CO. and their planetary contrast is right up there with the apo, and even better than the apo at higher powers where the refractor simply runs out of light along with the contrast.

Vahe

• Richard Whalen and Hugh Peck like this

#29 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:35 PM

I really enjoy my 180mm mak.   I like to use it on planets, doubles, and the moon of course, but I also find it surprising on tighter DSOs.   I bring it to the club and it always draws looks by the other AAs, and they always seem to be very surprised by observing DSOs through it.   Why?  (make whining sounds here......its narrow.......it takes too long to cool down........its heavier...........waaaa ). :lol:

But I can see great detail while sitting down, like a SCT.  I don't need super powerful EPs.   Yeah, its somewhat narrow, but for me that's not important.  And I don't follow the herd.   I like it.   I PREPARE for observing and the variety is nice.  And living in a white zone the narrower fov is nicer and darker.   :waytogo:

Instead of having to put it on my EQ-G, I would love to mount it on a lighter alt/az, like the evolution.  If the evolution can handle a 18.4 lb 9.25", it should be able to handle 15.9 lbs which is about 2" shorter.  "....it should..."

Just some rambling thoughts.

Bob

Edited by spongebob@55, 21 August 2015 - 02:37 PM.

• Sarkikos, BLACKDRAGON and jgroub like this

#30 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:45 PM

I still have my TEC 6 Mak and I miss my old STF Mirage 8 inch Mak.  I have owned a few others over the years and they have all provided great views.

The only downside for me (aside from the longish cool down time) is the narrow FOV. It's great if you want to focus on a planet or small DSO, but it is challenging for me to estimate variable stars with a Mak. So my Maks don't get used as much as they should.

Cheers,

Ron

#31 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:47 PM

I have owned 2 6 inch maks, an Orion 150 mm F12 and an Intes Micro M 6 inch F10.  Both are quite good, with the Intes performing a bit better with respect to contrast and focus. I sold the Orion and kept the Intes, but would recommend either.   I love them on the Moon and planets, once they cool down.  The Intes, at thermal equilibrium, really is a treat to look through, even with a slightly larger CO at F10.   Fun little scope.

JMD

• Asbytec likes this

#32 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:01 PM

Mike

Something I learned early; ease of use and comfort = lots of viewing :)

The Mak is easier to take out of the house but for me, both qualify as easy. The 120mm ED is a one trip scope, plenty easy to use.  When it comes to choosing between the two, the quality of the refractor's views make it that small additional effort well worth it. In my situation, the ED-120 gets a lot of use in my backyard because it offers a lot of capability with a minimum of hassle.  The 120mm ED = ease of use and comfort = lots of viewing.. 

I am not knocking the 127mm Mak.  For what it is, for it can do, for how compact it is, for what it costs, there's definite place and value.. 

But the comment was made that the "everyone seems to say sharp contrasty views" and I wanted to add my two cents.

Jon  

#33 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:07 PM

I have an AT8M 8" and when she cools down the planetary views are excellent.

#34 Edd Weninger

Edd Weninger

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:14 PM

Here's my APM 406............

GOPR2985 crop.jpg

• Jon Isaacs, Scott99, R Botero and 4 others like this

#35 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:36 PM

Love to look at Saturn with your 16” Mak, is Encke easy with the big Mak?
I have seen Encke with my 10” Mak only once and even then it was borderline with the feature popping in and out of view for a few seconds and then it was gone, I do not expect to see the Encke with the 10” again.

Vahe

#36 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:38 PM

attachicon.gifGOPR2985 crop.jpg

Beautiful scope.  Not quite grab and go though.. :)  One of these days when I am up that way..  I have to think that is a remarkable planetary double star scope... 

Jon

#37 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:41 PM

I have two iOptron 150 maks. Ironically enough with all the hoopla about CO size, I haven't heard too much from actual owners of MC's in the complaints department in regards to CO. Everyone seems to say sharp contrasty views

I can only comment on the Starmax 127. Compared to the 120 mm Orion Eon F/7.5 ED doublet, the view are markedly less contrastly and doubles are not as sharp or bright.  It's not unexpected, a simulation using Aberrator shows something similar.

Jon

How about that EON compared to your 10" dob? Which one wins for sharp and contrasty?

#38 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:39 PM

A better question might be, "Which shows more planet or lunar surface detail?" Impressions of sharp and contrasty can be misleading.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 21 August 2015 - 08:50 PM.

#39 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 22 August 2015 - 12:06 AM

A better question might be, "Which shows more planet or lunar surface detail?" Impressions of sharp and contrasty can be misleading.

Mike

No, the question was asked that I wanted to know.

#40 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:32 AM

Then I should have said, "My question would be, 'Which shows more planet or lunar surface detail?'" For myself, I'd rather have finer detail actually seen than the appearance of "sharp and contrasty" with less detail. YMMV

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 22 August 2015 - 10:32 AM.

#41 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:08 AM

I have two iOptron 150 maks. Ironically enough with all the hoopla about CO size, I haven't heard too much from actual owners of MC's in the complaints department in regards to CO. Everyone seems to say sharp contrasty views

I can only comment on the Starmax 127. Compared to the 120 mm Orion Eon F/7.5 ED doublet, the view are markedly less contrastly and doubles are not as sharp or bright.  It's not unexpected, a simulation using Aberrator shows something similar.

Jon

How about that EON compared to your 10" dob? Which one wins for sharp and contrasty?

That depends on how one judges sharp and contrasty.  I was thinking about that exact comparison last night. My initial resolve for the evening was to compare the 127 Starmax with a  After  a Skywatcher 130mm F/5 Newotnian that has a JMI DX-1 two speed focuser, I had put the Eon in it's case and it was supposed to stay there.  But it was a frustrating evening, the thermal issues with the two scopes and maybe the seeing meant that I wasn't getting the good views I was hoping for. I never really got a good view of the Cassini in either scope, Antares was not split, even Izar was difficult.  Lambda Oph at 3.83+5.22 mag, Sep 1.43" was split in both scopes but they were difficult.  So, out came the Eon.. Right out the door, despite the poorer positioning of Antares and Saturn, I got a clean split of Antares and a good view of Saturn. Everything I looked at, I was getting good views.  

I started thinking about the 130mm F/5 and comparing it to the 10 inch F/5..  Out the door, the 10 inch F/5 is not the performer the 120mm Eon is, too many thermal issues.  When it is fully cooled, and that is not minutes but more than an hour with a fan cooling the mirror, if the seeing is reasonable, then it will split closer doubles than the Eon, it will provide good views of Saturn, brighter, somewhat more fine scale contrast, but not so perfect... 

As an aside, the other night up in the high desert, just after sunset, the views of Saturn and Antares in my 16 inch were unbelievable.  Saturn was clean and crisp at 414X with the Cassini black-black.. Antares was split so wide and cleanly.. I have never seen it like that.  

Jon

• Sarkikos and Magnus Ahrling like this

#42 Edd Weninger

Edd Weninger

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:14 AM

Love to look at Saturn with your 16” Mak, is Encke easy with the big Mak?
I have seen Encke with my 10” Mak only once and even then it was borderline with the feature popping in and out of view for a few seconds and then it was gone, I do not expect to see the Encke with the 10” again.

Vahe

After a nice Winter, Jupiter was great during Spring.  It was high and well-placed for the configuration of the observatory and scope.  I haven't seen Encke yet.  Saturn was low, and behind a tree at it's highest this year.  That, and coinciding with clouds at the other times-to-look meant no observations this year.  Jon's correct, not a grab-and-go.  When I removed my A-P 155 EDF from the observatory I mounted it on a CGE on a scope-buggy for that purpose.  I didn't use it enough so I sold it.

It's quite easy to plan enjoyable viewing sessions that match the limitations of the scope/observatory location, but some things do get missed. 

Cheers,

Beautiful scope.  Not quite grab and go though.. :)  One of these days when I am up that way..  I have to think that is a remarkable planetary double star scope... 

Jon

Grab-and-go not required.  Just open the roof at sunset, carry out the last of the dinner wine, tell the mount where to point and things are good.  I'm not into doubles much, but I'll see what's up this next week.

Cheers,

Blackdog Observatory 2014.jpg

Edited by Edd Weninger, 23 August 2015 - 11:46 AM.

• Hobby Astronomer likes this

#43 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:04 PM

Edd:

My grab and go comments totally in jest.  A big, beautiful scope like that on a mount robust enough to do it justice, it requires an observatory...

Jon

• Edd Weninger likes this

#44 Kayakmurf

Kayakmurf

Lift Off

• Loc: Chico, CA

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:09 PM

I owned the ETX-125 and traded up for the 7" LX200....which I had to sell, but when I purchased another scope I went big with the 14" LX200...my biggest issue with Maks are they're just too small. For most commercially available maks they're 7" and smaller. I really cant go less than 10" for a scope...that size really opens up the faint fuzzy list. I had an old orange tube C8 that just couldn't reach out to many of my favorites objects so got rid of it. 

I would love a 10" mak, but the cost is simply beyond my means. Amazing scopes for sure...

#45 Ptkacik

Ptkacik

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:26 PM

I got the Orion 180, (7") Mak and immediately did a planetary competition with my 8" SCT which it won hands down. I then modified it to have a blow in and a second blow (suck) out fan for temp acclimation. It is not that hard a job to add fans.

However, it is not all benefits as this 7" is bigger, longer, and heavier than my 8" Meade. Still, it is light years ahead of my 10", 11", and 16" scopes w.r.t. Weight. I'm getting old and tired and this 7" may be my upper limit on weight and hassle. OK, maybe not that old...

Go Maks,
Peter
  • jgroub likes this

#46 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:58 PM

I got the Orion 180, (7") Mak and immediately did a planetary competition with my 8" SCT which it won hands down. I then modified it to have a blow in and a second blow (suck) out fan for temp acclimation. It is not that hard a job to add fans.

However, it is not all benefits as this 7" is bigger, longer, and heavier than my 8" Meade. Still, it is light years ahead of my 10", 11", and 16" scopes w.r.t. Weight. I'm getting old and tired and this 7" may be my upper limit on weight and hassle. OK, maybe not that old...

Go Maks,
Peter

Hi Peter, 

could you give us some detail on how you installed the fans?

Thanks

Bob

#47 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Vostok 1

• Loc: Owensboro, KY

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:55 PM

I have an Orion 90mm Mak-Cass on a tabletop mount. Does these types of scope need to be collmination ? I used mine twice and I can't get it to focus on anything with the exception of a bush at 50 feet away. 

#48 BLACKDRAGON

BLACKDRAGON

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: WEST CHESHIRE, UNITED KINGDOM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:15 PM

I've been lucky enough to buy a heavily modded Skywatcher Mak 180 from the Webmaster of AstroShed a couple of weeks ago.  It's been flocked, had a power focuser added, had the finder modded etc.  Unfortunately, due to the army of clouds that's seems to be ever present in this British Summer of ours I've not really been able to get a clear night for viewing..........but they say patience is a virtue!!

#49 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:26 AM

I would like to see Orion bring back its 150mm Mak. I had one several years ago but
sold it and bought their 180mm Mak. Both were exceptional lunar/planetary scopes.

Oh, yes. My 150mm Orion is a keeper. In good seeing, are you kidding? Upwards of 70x per inch is common on Mars.

Cats' Paw and Sabine C, Jupiter (including albedo features on Ganymede), Mars (to include detail in the northern polar cap), Alpine Rille, and 7 tiny crater forms from the Plato Challenge. Love that 5.9" scope, cooled and collimated in good seeing and modest tropical temps.I have become a Mak aficionado. Best scope I've owned, coupled with the best seeing and modest climate.

Aperture and refractor fever are vanquished. I am having the observing time of my life with a Mak.

I guess it speaks to getting the right aperture (for seeing) and scope design for your (ambient) conditions. For me, the Mak is it. It's earned my affection. All one needs is a descent night and I'd trust the Mak design to deliver. The better ones more so, of course, but the lower cost models are nothing to sneeze at when it all comes together during an excellent evening. 

Attached Thumbnails

• cat paw.jpg
  • Jupiter 3 Feb 1300UT.png
  • 5171325-Mars 13 Apr 1130UT.jpg
  • Alpine Rille.jpg
  • Plato Craterlets (rev).jpg

Edited by Asbytec, 30 August 2015 - 02:01 AM.

• elwaine, Scott99, Jaimo! and 5 others like this

#50 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:34 AM

Here is my Intes Micro Alter 715

That's a dream scope, Dave. I can just gaze at it for hours...until the sun goes down. I am envious. Truly. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics