•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where are the Maksutov-Cassegain people?

• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

#51 Edd Weninger

Edd Weninger

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:43 AM

Nice renderings.   Kudos for the skill and patience. 

• Asbytec likes this

#52 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:06 AM

Nice renderings.   Kudos for the skill and patience. 

Edd, thank you. You hit it - patients. You simply have to be there at the eyepiece when the ambient conditions permit the best views. When they do...wow. You have to duct tape your jaw to your face. 

One night viewing Mars, I was struck with unbelievable detail in the polar cap, to include glimpsing a dark fissure and, more frequently, brighter albedo features on the cap itself. (4 Jan 2012 2000UT)

...in a cheapo 6" Mak. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Mars 3 Jan 2000UT Outline.jpg

Edited by Asbytec, 30 August 2015 - 02:12 AM.

• Bomber Bob and BLACKDRAGON like this

#53 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:38 AM

Okay, one more...a pretty tight double easily elongated. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 72 Pegasi.jpg

• Magnus Ahrling likes this

#54 dweller25

dweller25

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:19 AM

Here is my Intes Micro Alter 715

That's a dream scope, Dave. I can just gaze at it for hours...until the sun goes down. I am envious. Truly. 

Thanks Norme, but I am limited by my very poor seeing conditions. When I go to France on vacation the seeing is MUCH better. You have the ideal location with your outstandinmg seeing and high planet elevation :bow:

#55 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:01 AM

Yea, David, forgot to mention that. The planets do cross pretty much overhead, Mars did back in 2012 and Jupiter still does. That's important. Got lucky, I guess. 

The whole point of my posts are to reflect my affection for the Mak. If anyone is, I am one of the Mak people. 

Edited by Asbytec, 30 August 2015 - 06:19 PM.

#56 Laika

Laika

Soyuz

• Loc: Former Member

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:36 PM

I have an Orion 90mm Mak-Cass on a tabletop mount. Does these types of scope need to be collmination ? I used mine twice and I can't get it to focus on anything with the exception of a bush at 50 feet away.

Your focusing problem could be that you are focused on the bush. It takes MANY turns to get to infinity and if not careful you can quickly pass your objects focal point.

I have yet to see a Mak need collimating, so don't fret about it. I've seen these things get dropped several times on concrete and still work.

They were used on Russian Tanks and built like them too ;)
  • jgroub likes this

#57 Ptkacik

Ptkacik

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:30 PM

FYI, I took the rear cell off my Orion 180mm Mak to install two fans and then collimated it. After collimation, it showed textbook Airey disks on stars. I was straightforward to collimate and not scary at all.

Clear skies,
Peter

#58 gmartin02

gmartin02

Apollo

• Loc: Santa Clarita, CA

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:14 AM

I haven't forgotten mine.

Telescope w altaz mount.jpg

This is my primary (sort of) airline portable travel scope - an Intes MK-67 Deluxe.

I disassemble the tripod legs from the central tripod hub and put them in my large suitcase, and carry on the scope in its Pelican 1510 case.

Took this baby to Chile in 2006, Hawaii in 2014, and taking it again to Hawaii in 2016.

I've had it for 13 years, and will never sell it. Wonderful little scope.

Edited by gmartin02, 31 August 2015 - 11:15 AM.

• Asbytec, Jaimo!, Astrojensen and 8 others like this

#59 smokey688i

smokey688i

Lift Off

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:00 PM

Newbie here, but I had to pipe up on this.  I am thoroughly enjoying my Orion 150mm mak.  While it is according to many best used as a planetary and moon scope, I have found it to be a solid deep sky photography tool when combined with a focal reducer.  I've been using a vintage Celestron Deluxe Telecompressor with it for awhile with nice results.

Attached Thumbnails

• lagoon nebula t1_filtered compressed.jpg
  • tweak2 filtered2.jpg

• rnabholz, elwaine, Asbytec and 12 others like this

#60 Laika

Laika

Soyuz

• Loc: Former Member

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:08 PM

Awesome shots, I've used my 127 for dso, the key for me is a telrad and a good finder. Or goto lol
  • Ian Robinson likes this

#61 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:35 PM

I also use mine for DSO's. Focal reducer, narrowband Ha filter, and Image Intensifier Eyepiece. Really brings in the magnification even with reducer.

#62 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:53 AM

Where are the Mak/Cass people?   I'll bet some of them gone over to drool at this: http://www.cloudynig...etup-with-case/

Dave

• Asbytec likes this

#63 Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:40 PM

I have the 7" Meade Mak, ex-LX50, I bought just the OTA in 2006 second hand, for 100 GBP, it has a cloudy blue secondary mirror coating, had an ugly dent that I got out, tatty decals, and I had to remove the 3.5Kg cast iron weight from behind the primary mirror, but it's an excellent performer, cools quite quickly, built in fan (I reversed it's direction to suck in cold air), and it has the most perfect optics that I have ever seen on a Cassegrain that I have used.

It's maybe 1/6 wave or better, the amount of detail that I could see on Mars in 2014 when Mars was low down was very suprising, lots visible and plenty of real color, and the contrast was much better than a friend's F10 8" ACF was on Mars in 2012 when Mars was higher in the sky. All of these OTA's had been cooled thoroughly at the time, and collimation was always done in focus at very high powers (500x for the 8", 666x for the Mak, 700x for the C11) by myself. 7" Meade Mak has 39 per cent obstruction from the secondary conical baffle, primary is elliptical.

In comparison though, my second hand year 2000 C11 SCT (StarBright, NON-XLT, non Edge, non Fastar) has more scattered light, but is much brighter, has more real colors on Jupiter, and after multiple tests on Jupiter comparing the two, the C11 easily beat the 7" Mak, with quite a bit more detail visible in the C11 on Jupiter.

I would love to get a 9" MK91 Mak which should easily equal (most likely well exceed) my C11, but there are 2 sets of collimation screws to deal with (6) instead of 3 like on my SCT or even the 3 push-lock ones on my Meade 7" Mak, the primary is fixed so potential problems with back focus and binoviewers etc, the weight is 1.5Kg heavier than even my C11 and I am only on a CG5 ASGT mount, and the tube is longer than the C11 I think, so I think I would definitely need the next mount up (NEQ6).

But I adore the CG5's NexStar controller and don't want to change "operating system" so I would have to get CGEM (come on Celestron, give us a medium weight mount with NexStar, my Eq. head on the CG5 is 5Kg / 11 pounds, the Eq. head on the CGEM is 19Kg / 41 pounds !, can't we have a "CG6" at say 12Kg for the eq. head ?) CGEM is very heavy, and cool down of the OTA might be a problem, but with my home made Lymax style cooler and cheap Ebay medical gel ice pack in simultaneous use, that should be enough to cool nearly anything of this size OTA within an hour.

The MK91 is no longer made by Santel or Intes or anyone else (so I know of) and I don't think an 8" Mak would be enough for me compared to my C11. Indeed, I am thinking of trying a Meade 12" SCT, but it weighs 18 Kg compared to 12 Kg for my C11 ! And then I would be stuck with the same problem (new mount needed). Also the cost of the MK91 was 3395 USD, which was probably the same in GBP by the time it was imported to the UK or got from a UK dealer, so even if it was still available it would be way beyond my means at the moment.

The review of the Intes MK91 here sounds just perfect for what I am looking for from a 'scope though ;-

https://web.archive....te/report13.htm

Maybe they didn't sell well, which is a great pity as they are wonderful from what I read.

Regards,

Alistair G.

Edited by Live_Steam_Mad, 01 September 2015 - 04:48 PM.

• A6Q6 and BLACKDRAGON like this

#64 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:07 PM

Here is a photo of my Intes MK-67.  I LOVE this scope!  It is my grab and go scope and I can have it outside and setup in a moments notice, as I live in the glow of the NYC Nebula my main targets are planets and I have not been disappointed.  I usually will set it out on the deck when I return from work and it is usually thermally equilibrated by the time it is dark.  I had started with a 90mm, then a 125mm...  The 90mm was just not enough aperture to make me happy and have a meaningful evening; the 125, was the Meade ETX and the setup was just a PIA when I just wanted to observe planets.  The Intes is a pleasure to use, but the mount may be my next upgrade...

IMG_1205 - Small.jpg

• gmartin02, Asbytec, dotnet and 2 others like this

#65 dotnet

dotnet

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:02 PM

Hi Jaimo,

what is that focuser you've got on your MK-67?

#66 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:30 PM

It's a JMI crayford from the previous owner, it looks to be on a well crafted "homemade" adapter.

IMG_1202 - Small.jpg

Enjoy,

Jaimo!

Edited by Jaimo!, 11 November 2017 - 10:27 AM.

• Bomber Bob and BLACKDRAGON like this

#67 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:56 AM

Here is my DOD Mak. CA is 5.5" Mirror is 6" and is quartz. Somewhere between F9.5 and F10. Finest optics of any scope that I own. Hard for me to want to take out a vintage refractor when this scope is so portable. Guess I should strip the bad paint job and make it look nice. Plan was to machine the flange on the cell down, get the primary recoated and a nice paint job.

Attached Thumbnails

• mak.jpg
  • mak2.jpg

• Asbytec, Jaimo!, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#68 JohnH

JohnH

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:10 AM

Here is my DOD Mak. CA is 5.5" Mirror is 6" and is quartz. Somewhere between F9.5 and F10. Finest optics of any scope that I own. Hard for me to want to take out a vintage refractor when this scope is so portable. Guess I should strip the bad paint job and make it look nice. Plan was to machine the flange on the cell down, get the primary recoated and a nice paint job.

If the optics are great, the cosmetics are of only passing interest.

• bremms and BLACKDRAGON like this

#69 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:29 PM

Newbie here, but I had to pipe up on this.  I am thoroughly enjoying my Orion 150mm mak.  While it is according to many best used as a planetary and moon scope, I have found it to be a solid deep sky photography tool when combined with a focal reducer.  I've been using a vintage Celestron Deluxe Telecompressor with it for awhile with nice results.

I have found that many people get hung up on compartmentalizing scopes into certain "bins", maksutovs are only planetary scopes, refactors only for imaging, dobs are only for deep sky (same goes for eyepieces)...  granted there is some truth behind this, but they are not rules to bind the observer but rather general guidelines.  There also are times I have seen these "rules" passed on by observers who have not even used the type of scope they are compartmentalizing.  Any scope can be used for observing or imaging any object, some may be "better" at some things than others...  Your images are lovely and you have greatly demonstrated my point.  Enjoy and use the scope you have and don't worry what it is supposed to be used for...

You images are great,

Jaimo!

Edited by Jaimo!, 08 September 2015 - 05:33 PM.

• Asbytec, Sarkikos, A6Q6 and 2 others like this

#70 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:33 AM

If the optics are great, the cosmetics are of only passing interest.

Exactly why it's been like that for two years.

#71 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:54 AM

The best planetary scope I had was 10" F6 homemade Dob with a mirror that tested better than 1/13 wave PV wavefront in green light ( did not make the mirror). Modified Novak Mounts. It was always a hit. We had a nice star party at the university and my scope was set up between an AP 6" superplanetary and a 7" Questar. The owner of the AP came over to look at Jupiter... and was ****! that's a great mirror. The AP 6" and the Q7 had nothing between them, very similar images. My 10" plastic sewer pipe and plywood Dob was noticeably better than both. Did do a careful alignment and it was well cooled. Sold the scope when I finished school and moved. Looking back, I should have kept the mirror. C'est la Vie

All about the optics, alignment and cooling. Mak, Refractor, Newt all can show a fine image. There are even a few good SCT's out there, but it took me five C8's to find one.

• Sarkikos and A6Q6 like this

#72 Edwin

Edwin

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:01 AM

A lot of MK-67's over here  :waytogo: I love mine too: very good, sharp optics in a compact and light OTA. If only the focusser was a little better, but that's what you get if you buy Russian. Had some marvellous nights in the Swiss alps with it this summer. I saw a lot of the lower globular clusters with it.

Edited by Edwin, 09 September 2015 - 11:05 AM.

#73 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:38 AM

A lot of MK-67's over here  :waytogo: I love mine too: very good, sharp optics in a compact and light OTA. If only the focusser was a little better, but that's what you get if you buy Russian. Had some marvellous nights in the Swiss alps with it this summer. I saw a lot of the lower globular clusters with it.

We demand pictures...    :poke:

Jaimo!

#74 dotnet

dotnet

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:48 AM

A lot of MK-67's over here  :waytogo: I love mine too: very good, sharp optics in a compact and light OTA. If only the focusser was a little better, but that's what you get if you buy Russian.

What's wrong with the focuser, apart from it being single-speed and having not all that much travel?

I put a Moonlite focuser on my MK-67 but reverted back to the stock focuser after a few months. The Moonlite's draw tube would sag (radially) under the weight of a diagonal plus a Delos, the stock focuser doesn't flinch.

#75 Edwin

Edwin

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:03 PM

Question: 

What's wrong with the focuser

Answer:

single-speed and having not all that much travel

5646126-CN MK67 RDF 002.JPG

...and it is the same with my other Russian telescope (at the right). Especcially if you compare it to the focusser on my Megrez (on the left).

4995325-CN Telescopen 009.jpg

...did I say I love short-tubed OTA's ?

Edited by Edwin, 09 September 2015 - 12:59 PM.

• mimas, Jaimo!, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics