•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Morpheus. Ugliest eyepieces I think I've ever seen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
108 replies to this topic

#101 RichA

RichA

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:43 PM

Tommy Cragg was one of the best visual observers in the world. He didn't give a rat's AXX how optics looked, only how they performed. I'm gonna buy a Morpheus. So stuff that in your pipe and smoke it!

No one did in the Stone Age because they had no choice.  Most of that home-made stuff looked like rubbish.  But, there was Unitron and Questar.

#102 RichA

RichA

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:45 PM

TomT, recently, after reading threads concerning the unique properties of the 28mm RKE, I purchased one & tried it in 3 refractors. I found this eyepiece quite unremarkable & will soon be putting it up for sale on CN. I do believe that all who claim this "floating in space"  effect are sincere & do see something that I do not, but obviously, my opinion is different from theirs in this instance & on other topics as well. My astronomy experience is relatively meager compared to some here & appreciate all who share whether I agree or not. But you are correct, TomT, we are all subjective to some degree. Hence, I don't take any single review as gospel..........Also, perhaps these new oculars are as good as Delos or Pentax for $100.00 less & perhaps the new 130mm refractors are as good as others for several hundred dollars less. I hope to get a chance to see for myself. I can't help but think of a couple old adages, "You usually get what you pay for." & "If something seems too good to be true, it probably is." Time will tell. Clear skies, Doug

Funny, whenever someone puts up a mundane eyepiece on CN, it's always "wonderful" and "beautiful."

#103 RichA

RichA

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:46 PM

Looking forward to seeing these appear on the used market... prices should be really good as visually-repulsed owners sell them in disgust...  :)

I'll file that with "If XXX was XXX, I'd but it in 2 seconds flat!!"  Then, nothing...

#104 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:19 PM

Tommy Cragg was one of the best visual observers in the world. He didn't give a rat's AXX how optics looked, only how they performed. I'm gonna buy a Morpheus. So stuff that in your pipe and smoke it!

No one did in the Stone Age because they had no choice.  Most of that home-made stuff looked like rubbish.  But, there was Unitron and Questar.

Stone Age....hmmm.  Please show some respect to your elders!  Like this: :bow:

#105 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:53 PM

TomT, recently, after reading threads concerning the unique properties of the 28mm RKE, I purchased one & tried it in 3 refractors. I found this eyepiece quite unremarkable & will soon be putting it up for sale on CN. I do believe that all who claim this "floating in space"  effect are sincere & do see something that I do not, but obviously, my opinion is different from theirs in this instance & on other topics as well. My astronomy experience is relatively meager compared to some here & appreciate all who share whether I agree or not. But you are correct, TomT, we are all subjective to some degree. Hence, I don't take any single review as gospel..........Also, perhaps these new oculars are as good as Delos or Pentax for $100.00 less & perhaps the new 130mm refractors are as good as others for several hundred dollars less. I hope to get a chance to see for myself. I can't help but think of a couple old adages, "You usually get what you pay for." & "If something seems too good to be true, it probably is." Time will tell. Clear skies, Doug

Funny, whenever someone puts up a mundane eyepiece on CN, it's always "wonderful" and "beautiful."

:lol: I've rarely seen a used scope for sale that had anything less than excellent optics either...

I dunno tho Rich.  I've seen plenty of dogs in my time.  I don't remember too many of them (try to block out those memories), but here's one scope (I know thisis an eyepiece thread, but...) that was absolutely horrid

http://www.cloudynig...on-optics-r1651

Look at protoduction unit #1.

:lol:

#106 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:58 PM

They are quite pretty compared to my Wollensack 51mm

Wondered when that one would come up! :lol:  Or how 'bout when ugly meets bizarre? Or then there's the Rodenstock. That one's ugly enough to make a freight train take a gravel road!

No, these Morpheus EPs are fairly pedestrian for looks, as i reckon.

I was poking around and bumped into a picture of the legendary Docter 12.5mm. If you think the Mopheus is ugly, try looking at that thing.

Too funny. I think the Doctor is a total fox of an EP, for looks. :bow:  Have heard it ain't so bad to look thru, either. ;)

#107 TheFacelessMen

TheFacelessMen

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 August 2015 - 12:15 AM

Finally ! .......  Robby The Robot Eyepieces  :rofl:

robby-robot-genuine-7-foot-life-size-1.jpg

#108 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 29 August 2015 - 12:24 AM

Heh- looks like the Michelin man & a Weber barbeque got in a serious tangle...

#109 EuropaWill

EuropaWill

Apollo

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:11 PM

Too funny with Robbie the Robot. I loved that robot as a kid! Classic, and awesome picture. And i got a laugh from the Michelin man & Weber barbeque comment.  :lol:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics