•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

31mm Celestron Luminos eyepiece, one of worst I've used

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:29 AM

Regarding the difficulty in eye placement I expect all who have aphakic eyes experience it;which is probably a small number as the surgical procedures now are much different than 1960.

#52 MartinPond

MartinPond

Aurora

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:15 PM

Some people Just can't see certain problems with eyepieces, while others do. I think it is chalked up to experience and how many hundreds of eyepieces used in different telescopes with different focal lengths people have used to critically evaluate them in different observing conditions.

I don't think it is "sample variation" in the Luminos eyepieces. Many have seen the EOFB, and the excessive eye relief in the 31mm that makes it a not-so-good eyepiece.

I have witnessed it myself.

However, I have read that some of the shorter focal length ones are better.

Makes sense in that price range...the barlow/smyth up front makes the

upper  deck much happier with short barrels.

The Expanse line suddenly gets good at 9mm. 

#53 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:21 PM

Unfortunately it seems corporate issues forced Celestron into marketing the Luminous.   Having tried a few of them and currently owning a complete set of Axiom LXs I can tell you that the Luminos are no match for the older Axioms.

Yes, as was said earlier, the 1.25" Luminos are not as bad as the 2" models but they are certainly no where near as good as the Axioms.   The Axioms, being made by the same company that currently makes the ES82s, are extremely good especially in an EdgeHD OTA.

I actually find them superior to the ES82s from an ergonomic standpoint.

• Usquebae, Miranda2525 and 25585 like this

#54 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:23 PM

I have a 31 Luminos - optically it's fine as a wide field / low power ocular (my scope's fl is 1100mm so ~35x. It seems to handle f/7.3 without difficulty... however, the magnification is too low to really see weirdness.

On the other hand, the mechanical design is brain-dead. Someone really needed a good slap when this was proposed.

#55 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:22 AM

Unfortunately it seems corporate issues forced Celestron into marketing the Luminous.   Having tried a few of them and currently owning a complete set of Axiom LXs I can tell you that the Luminos are no match for the older Axioms.

Yes, as was said earlier, the 1.25" Luminos are not as bad as the 2" models but they are certainly no where near as good as the Axioms.   The Axioms, being made by the same company that currently makes the ES82s, are extremely good especially in an EdgeHD OTA.

I actually find them superior to the ES82s from an ergonomic standpoint.

I have a 23mm Axiom LX in transit. It should be here soon. 

#56 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:48 AM

What you described looks like normal and known effects of Narger type-5 family eyepiece daylight usage. 

I never test eyepieces during the day.  When I first get an eyepiece, I pick it up and do a quick look through to see if it has a sharp field stop, easy eye placement, comfortable eye relief, and look for dust and hairs.  But that's about it.  I use my eyepieces for astronomy.  I really don't care how they perform for terrestrial daytime use.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 13 August 2019 - 06:51 AM.

• havasman likes this

#57 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:23 AM

I have a 23mm Axiom LX in transit. It should be here soon. 

I hope he was talking about the Axiom LX.

Before there was the Axiom LX, there was a line of Celestron eyepieces called Axiom.

Big difference in appearance.

The Axioms did not have that large, round, bulbous look of the Axiom LX.

But, IIRC, the Axioms were also aimed at long f/ratio scopes--the Axiom LX was considered a more modern "upgrade".

#58 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:12 AM

Very heavy, which I could live with if it was a good performer.  Impossible to see the edge of the field and not induce kidney bean.  Using it was a trial.  Mediocre edge quality, relative to even simple, uncorrected designs like Plossls.  Uneven brightness across the field.  The one bright spot was the centre was very sharp and contrasty.  Very good build-quality.  Far better than the crude black anodizing seen on some other eyepieces.  But I wish they'd spent some of the money on the optics and optical design. 

I have an Axiom LX 31mm. It has a shorter advertised eye relief, shorter still in reality. But none to little kidney bean effect.

So I am interested in what the differences are optically, design and maker, to Luminos. Both it and "T-X" are made in China (original Axioms were Japanese made I believe).

Ditto between those 2 and the "Terminagler". 

#59 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:13 AM

I have an Axiom LX 31mm. It has a shorter advertised eye relief, shorter still in reality. But none to little kidney bean effect.

So I am interested in what the differences are optically, design and maker, to Luminos. Both it and "T-X" are made in China (original Axioms were Japanese made I believe).

Ditto between those 2 and the "Terminagler". 

What is "T-X" ?

• 25585 likes this

#60 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:29 AM

What is "T-X" ?

My nickname for the 31 Axiom LX. Shinier, curvier, heavier than "Terminagler". 

Attached Thumbnails

• Txmimeticcoating.jpg
  • 904429-1.jpg

Edited by 25585, 31 August 2019 - 11:33 AM.

• Miranda2525 likes this

#61 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

Posted 31 August 2019 - 01:49 PM

My nickname for the 31 Axiom LX. Shinier, curvier, heavier than "Terminagler". 

Gotcha.  These Axiom XL‘s are really underrated. I was using mine last night in my 10” f/5 Newt and they were showing as much star color if not a little bit more than my Ethos!   And every bit as sharp. The general thinking is that these, being made by JOC are the same as the current ES82s but I think they’re better. 

• 25585 likes this

#62 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:36 PM

Gotcha.  These Axiom XL‘s are really underrated. I was using mine last night in my 10” f/5 Newt and they were showing as much star color if not a little bit more than my Ethos!   And every bit as sharp. The general thinking is that these, being made by JOC are the same as the current ES82s but I think they’re better. 

Are they same as Meade UWAs? 

#63 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:42 PM

Are they same as Meade UWAs? 

I can’t  be sure. My understanding is that the earlier Meades, made prior to 2012 were made by JOC. 

#64 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:44 PM

I hope he was talking about the Axiom LX.

Before there was the Axiom LX, there was a line of Celestron eyepieces called Axiom.

Big difference in appearance.

The Axioms did not have that large, round, bulbous look of the Axiom LX.

But, IIRC, the Axioms were also aimed at long f/ratio scopes--the Axiom LX was considered a more modern "upgrade".

Yes it is the Axiom LX. I've just removed the bulbous outer shell. 

• 25585 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics