•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cloudy nights mentor recognition thread

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Hilmi

Hilmi

Vendor-Astronomical Solutions Co.

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:47 AM

I have been thinking lately that there are some people here who are under appreciated and have done a great job mentoring people. I am talking about those who have done lots of hand holding and helped beginners more than the usual one line nudge in the right direction. So I have started this thread in order to recognize their contributions. Please add to this list, try and follow the same format as in Name of person and how they add value to this community. 

• David Ault, constantly keeps on volunteering to help new imagers with image processing. Takes the time to work on their data and provide them feedback 
  • Hytham, same kind of support as David, processes data for others and shares knowledge 
  • Madratter: can't keep track of number of times I have seen people thanking him for his tutorials 
  • Jon Rista, new player in the field, but thoroughly shares everything he learned as and when he learns it.

Please add to this list all those you find worthy, then maybe we can crown the best mentor of the year

• Footbag, proteus5, David Ault and 15 others like this

#2 Footbag

Footbag

Cosmos

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:00 AM

Great list!  I don't want to diminish the others on the list, but David Ault has really gone above and beyond.  I can't even describe my appreciation for all he's helped me out with.  Yet he's done the same for nearly everyone I know. 

He deserves a something of the year!

• shawnhar, David Ault, rflinn68 and 3 others like this

#3 qbool

qbool

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, TX

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:13 AM

In addition to those listed already, I'd like to recognize (and thank!):

* Anismo

* Goofi

Both of whom have been generous with their patience and time behind the scenes, and have handheld me through various issues with setup and workflow. Big thumbs up to these guys (I'd include you too, JonRistaâ„¢, but you're already on the list!). :waytogo:

• David Ault, WordUpJackson, anismo and 3 others like this

#4 ElGato

ElGato

Viking 1

• Loc: Orange County, Ca

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:35 AM

Agreed. I'd also add Bobzeq25 to that list.
  • Chunkles, David Ault, WordUpJackson and 6 others like this

#5 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Austin, TX, USA

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:38 AM

When I started out, MR, Adam, and Shawn were very helpful to get me moving in the right direction.  Josh has been very helpful (via direct mails and PMs as well) .

To be honest, almost everyone have been very supportive at some point or other. So I avoid cherry picking :)

• proteus5 and David Ault like this

#6 terry59

terry59

Voyager 1

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:56 AM

To be honest, almost everyone have been very supportive at some point or other. So I avoid cherry picking :)

+1

• proteus5, David Ault, rflinn68 and 2 others like this

#7 GaryCurran

GaryCurran

Vanguard

• Loc: Homeless in Washington (Transitional Housing for Vets, thankfully)

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:12 AM

+1 for BobZEQ25.  As far as image processing and stuff, not so much, but he most definitely helped me, was, and continues to be a great mentor, in the field of what direction a person should move in as far as gear and equipment to start out with.

I'd also like to add Jerry Lodriguss to the list.  His information concerning DSLRs is fantastic.

Edited by GaryCurran, 04 September 2015 - 03:21 PM.

• David Ault, WordUpJackson, Kate2015 and 1 other like this

#8 testpilotr44

testpilotr44

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toms River, NJ

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:52 AM

+1 to the people already named on the list.  I have been very grateful to them for not only answering my questions, but the general amount that they all post, share and help others.

• David Ault likes this

#9 David Ault

David Ault

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Georgetown, TX

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:59 AM

This is really the best forum I've participated in.  There are so many people that are willing to give up their time to help others.  Certainly everyone already mentioned is on my list of those that have contributed a lot.  This is the list of people I'v seen, not just posting a lot, but really being helpful (in no particular order):

Ken Sturrock
Gary Curran
Josh Smith
Adam (Footbag)
Alex McConahay
James (james7ca)
Frank (freestar8n)
Bob (bobzeq25)
Richard (rflinn68)
Shawn (shawnhar)
Hytham
Madratter
Jon Rista
Anis (Anismo)
Goofi

Unfortunately, by making any list we've instantly excluded people, which isn't fair either.  I'm sure there are many others that help a lot that I simply have missed because I didn't see their posts on or didn't have time to read a thread completely, etc.  That being said, I do think it is a great idea to recognize those that we find generous and helpful.   Honestly, I think it's great that my list is so long.  I can't think of another group where I can easily name so many people that help others so readily.  Thank you guys!  :applause:

I really appreciate others including me on their lists as well.  I feel honored and I think I'm turning a bit red  :blush:

Regards,
David

• nitegeezer, Footbag, anismo and 5 others like this

#10 WesC

WesC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:12 AM

I really appreciate others including me on their lists as well.  I feel honored and I think I'm turning a bit red  :blush:

Regards,
David

Must be all that exposure to Hydrogen Alpha! [:lol:]

Edited by WesC, 04 September 2015 - 11:13 AM.

• David Ault, AstroEthan, Bizzidy and 2 others like this

#11 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:30 PM

I also appreciate being named.....Now I will have to do something to earn that honor......

(I'm working on a tutorial for those who have just downloaded Pixinsight and want to produce a picture with it (rather than just gaze dumbfounded at all the buttons, switches, dials, and parameters).....It should be ready for The Astro Imaging Channel late September/early October)

Alex

• David Ault, tolgagumus, Obi-Wan Kenewbie and 2 others like this

#12 GaryCurran

GaryCurran

Vanguard

• Loc: Homeless in Washington (Transitional Housing for Vets, thankfully)

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:58 PM

I'd like to thank David for including me, although I'm not exactly sure why he did that.  Right now, I have very little to offer, although at some point, I hope I can do more.

• David Ault likes this

#13 David Ault

David Ault

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Georgetown, TX

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:03 PM

Too funny Wes!

Along with Bob, I see you jump in and help quite a few beginners with equipment questions Gary.  I don't think it's just about what you know, it's about being willing to help with the knowledge you have.

Regards,

David

• dapalmer likes this

#14 Hilmi

Hilmi

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:11 PM

David, I asked my friend to post here when stuck and I told him the first person to answer you will be David Ault, I was not mistaken, you were the first to respond. This is what inspired me to start this thread. 

• David Ault likes this

#15 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:12 PM

How did this list get this long without mention of Jerry Lodriguss?

Alex

#16 Hilmi

Hilmi

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:20 PM

Jerry is a champ, how many authors do you know who directly respond to questions from their readers?

• David Ault likes this

#17 ElGato

ElGato

Viking 1

• Loc: Orange County, Ca

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:44 PM

Jerry is in post #7 :waytogo:

#18 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:45 PM

Among those I particularly remember helping me out when I got started:

Terry

Shawn Harrison

Adam

I continue to get great feedback from many many people in this group, some already mentioned, others not, but all who have helped me are truly appreciated.

• David Ault likes this

#19 Goofi

Goofi

Cosmos

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: Coastal Southern California

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:16 PM

All of the above ... plus Richard (rflinn68)!  Sure, he's a moderator, but nothing but great support from him, and a real friend. 

It's easy to call out David and some of the others who are so visible - their contributions are obvious to everyone.  But I also think of people like Terry and Serge who just take great images and not always with the high-end gear.  They've both been a huge inspiration for me.

I'd add IVO's to this list of venders as well as Jerry -  his support is amazing.  

• WordUpJackson, anismo and bigeastro like this

#20 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:56 PM

What a thread, Hilmi! Like David, this is the best forum I've participated in on this site. I really love the atmosphere here. Always helpful, to everyone, by everyone. I'm honored to be mentioned. I would add my own list, but, it's really really long, and everyone is helpful at one time or another, and I don't want to leave anyone out. I do want to thank everyone who has helped me. I've made great progress because of the insights and assistance of those who were willing to take the time to answer my questions. I only hope I can contribute in kind in the future.

• David Ault, coinboy1 and bigeastro like this

#21 kraegar

kraegar

Apollo

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

I can agree most of the folks on this list have helped me in some form or other.

Goofi was especially patient with me when I started, with help figuring out my AVX.

• David Ault likes this

#22 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:38 PM

We try not to have too many threads pinned as it does make for a long list.  Having said that, I think this one deserves to get pinned, at least for a while, so that is what I am going to do.  I am also going to add it to the "Best Threads" so if we decide to unpin it at some point, there will be an easy access to it.

I would also like to add thanks to all the members of this forum.  In the year that I have been a mod here, I have learned a lot, and just the enthusiasm encourages me to get out more and enjoy this hobby.  Thank you all very much!

Chuck

• Hilmi, David Ault and bigeastro like this

#23 proteus5

proteus5

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:14 AM

In addition to everyone on the list, and others that have helped me, I'd like to thank Terry59, as it was he who guided me a few years ago with the selection of my first 80mm ed scope. Without that guidence I would have chosen wrong and probably given up long before now. Everyone on CN is great!!!! 

#24 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: NJ

Posted 05 September 2015 - 12:17 PM

Let's not forget Adam and Josh for hosting the TAIC. I don't know if he is on CN but I also would like to thank Eric Coles. He helped me a lot. David Ault. Most people at his level charge for lessons etc. I have learned from so many others regardless of how much they know. Jonathan at SB forums is always there to help. Alex is also a great mentor. 

Tolga

I just want to add one more thing. What about all the Admins and Moderators here on CN? They deserve a special thanks.

Edited by tolgagumus, 05 September 2015 - 12:18 PM.

• NuclearRoy likes this

#25 flyingcougar

flyingcougar

In altera parte erunt...

• Loc: SE Texas

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:38 AM

It's really a reflection of all of the members who frequent this forum that make it one of CN's best. :bow:

I agree 100% with all that have been mentioned and would add CharlesW to the list.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics