•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cloudy nights mentor recognition thread

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 starlight5

starlight5

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:09 AM

GIB 007 from Gibraltar.  Thanks for the helpful tutorials over the years.  You're a real credit to the hobby, Kayron.

#27 Bizzidy

Bizzidy

Viking 1

• Loc: Chico, CA

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:43 PM

I have to agree that those mentioned really have made a big difference helping imagers like myself. Even if not all mentioned assissted me personally I can say the names are recognizable as the top helpers here on BII. 

This forum really stands out as a civilized, friendly and knowledge filled resource for astronomers of all levels and interests. Not to knock social media but I sure feel a real sense of comraderie here quite unlike the sentiment elsewhere. 

This camraderie is directly related to good people like those mentioned and the many not mentioned. 

Thank you all very much!!!!!

• proteus5 likes this

#28 HomerPepsi

HomerPepsi

Mariner 2

• Loc: Canada

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:56 PM

• David Ault - Processing tips
  • Richard (rflinn68) - Equipment tips

Thank you fellas for you guidance!!

#29 APshooter

APshooter

Skylab

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:55 PM

CharlesW for sure.  We spoke on the phone in person on at least two occasions, and spent an hour or so the first night just getting my MYT setup and going.  I sent out a personal thank you to him in a previous thread, but would like to add his name now to this list as well.

• WesC likes this

#30 Faris

Faris

Vendor-Astronomical Solutions Co.

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:24 AM

I have been thinking lately that there are some people here who are under appreciated and have done a great job mentoring people. I am talking about those who have done lots of hand holding and helped beginners more than the usual one line nudge in the right direction. So I have started this thread in order to recognize their contributions. Please add to this list, try and follow the same format as in Name of person and how they add value to this community. 

• David Ault, constantly keeps on volunteering to help new imagers with image processing. Takes the time to work on their data and provide them feedback 
  • Hytham, same kind of support as David, processes data for others and shares knowledge 
  • Madratter: can't keep track of number of times I have seen people thanking him for his tutorials 
  • Jon Rista, new player in the field, but thoroughly shares everything he learned as and when he learns it.

Please add to this list all those you find worthy, then maybe we can crown the best mentor of the year

Hello All,

I join Hilmi in thanking and recognizing David Ault who has helped me personally on my short journey in AP! There were others who helped indirectly through either support or just posting their experiences.

I have only recently joined this community but I already feel the benefit and the joy of interaction with like minded individuals. I hope I can help others some day in these fourms, even if it was a simple idea or experience exchange.

Clear skies

Faris

#31 Faris

Faris

Vendor-Astronomical Solutions Co.

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:25 AM

I have been thinking lately that there are some people here who are under appreciated and have done a great job mentoring people. I am talking about those who have done lots of hand holding and helped beginners more than the usual one line nudge in the right direction. So I have started this thread in order to recognize their contributions. Please add to this list, try and follow the same format as in Name of person and how they add value to this community. 

• David Ault, constantly keeps on volunteering to help new imagers with image processing. Takes the time to work on their data and provide them feedback 
  • Hytham, same kind of support as David, processes data for others and shares knowledge 
  • Madratter: can't keep track of number of times I have seen people thanking him for his tutorials 
  • Jon Rista, new player in the field, but thoroughly shares everything he learned as and when he learns it.

Please add to this list all those you find worthy, then maybe we can crown the best mentor of the year

Hello All,

I join Hilmi in thanking and recognizing David Ault who has helped me personally on my short journey in AP! There were others who helped indirectly through either support or just posting their experiences.

I have only recently joined this community but I already feel the benefit and the joy of interaction with like minded individuals. I hope I can help others some day in these fourms, even if it was a simple idea or experience exchange.

Clear skies

Faris

Hello again,

David Ault: Data Processing and PI techniques

Regards,

Faris

#32 fknfstevo

fknfstevo

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:46 PM

Gary Curran +1

#33 WordUpJackson

WordUpJackson

Mariner 2

• Loc: Fullerton, CA

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:31 AM

I'm glad to see this thread.  :waytogo:

#34 kraegar

kraegar

Apollo

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:55 PM

Have to reiterate in this thread, the help I've gotten from these forums has been invaluable, but wanted to specifically note the following:

Goofi for his AVX & general process advice

Jon Rista for his advice, especially in processing, but also with "in the field" process tips

David Ault & Madratter for their processing advice

My images wouldn't be half as good as they are if not for these fine folks.

#35 coinboy1

coinboy1

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tulsa, OK

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:35 PM

+1 Jon Rista. Smart fellow with lots of experience! Super informative write ups, very tech savvy, and just a helpful guy! 

• dvalid and bmhjr like this

#36 jerry10137

jerry10137

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:29 AM

I would like to publicly thank David Ault. I was trying to track down some issues with guiding and he was able to assist privately. Without his suggestions and feedback, I'd likely be chasing the same issue. He took time out of his day to review logs and screenshots. Thanks David!

Edited by jerry10137, 07 January 2016 - 11:30 AM.

• kraegar likes this

#37 FirstC8

FirstC8

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:46 AM

Jon Rista gets my vote too.

#38 dapalmer

dapalmer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Jackson, MO

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:03 AM

A special thanks to the ones not mentioned here that are willing to answer the same simpleton questions that all of us newbies ask! Many times it seems like a lot of those folks were in our shoes just a short time ago and they are willing to pass along the advice that they got earlier, perhaps from those mentioned in this thread. You too are an important part of the site!

I haven't been around long enough to know who the true wizards are on here, but do appreciate the help from even someone who is merely a few months ahead of me in the learning curve. What a great site!

Most of all thank you to the originator, moderators and techies who created and maintain this forum!!!  You have created an environment for learning and sharing of knowledge with very little bickering. Kudos to you! 

#39 raging_scotsman

raging_scotsman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Alberta, Canada

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

Agreed. I'd also add Bobzeq25 to that list.

Bobzeq25 has been a big help to me as a newbie. I've listened to a lot of his advice and I'm feeling pretty confident that I'm headed in the right direction with an excellent mount and a nice light refractor. I spent twice as much on the mount as I did on the scope. He helped steer me away from the big SCT.

• Chunkles and RDBeck like this

#40 magsterone

magsterone

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mobile, AL

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:50 PM

I would to add two members of the Mobile (AL.) Astronomical Society;

Martin Fanning and Rod Mollise.

Both are very knowledgeable, patent and help with our members and me especially when I am wrapped around the axle. ;)

Joe in Mobile

#41 AhBok

AhBok

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:38 AM

Well--Jon Rista has been an indirect mentor. I do not believe we have ever exchanged comments on a post, but I make a point to read any post he makes and I have learned much from him.

Another mentor is Goofi. He has given me direct advice, but more than that, he is perhaps the most even-handed poster on this board and I see him as a mentor, peace maker and encourager. 

• NMCN, epdreher and bobzeq25 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics