•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binoviewer Reviews, Specs and Collimation

• Please log in to reply
602 replies to this topic

#76 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:59 AM

Great update and news: new William Optics binoviewers, latest run, does not have at all polarisation effect, while there was obvious polarisation on all previous WO models!!!

Just got today latest model and have tested it!

I'm seriously thinking of getting a WO bino, I've never owned a pair of binoviewers and these look good value for the money. I would use two 19mm TV Panoptics with them. 

How does the WO compare to the Orion or Revelation bino's? Because it seems more expensive and doesn't have a carrying case included. 

Pretty much all the same Chinese units. I would get the Arcturus as you already have a pair of EP's to use and don't need the set that the WO comes with. BTW, the 19mm Pans will be great in them! I have one of them and it's one of my favorite all around EP.

#77 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Gemini

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:01 AM

Great update and news: new William Optics binoviewers, latest run, does not have at all polarisation effect, while there was obvious polarisation on all previous WO models!!!

Just got today latest model and have tested it!

I'm seriously thinking of getting a WO bino, I've never owned a pair of binoviewers and these look good value for the money. I would use two 19mm TV Panoptics with them. 

How does the WO compare to the Orion or Revelation bino's? Because it seems more expensive and doesn't have a carrying case included. 

Pretty much all the same Chinese units. I would get the Arcturus as you already have a pair of EP's to use and don't need the set that the WO comes with. BTW, the 19mm Pans will be great in them! I have one of them and it's one of my favorite all around EP.

OK thanks. I had a look at some Arcturus bino's online and they look pretty good. I'm not sure they're easily available where I live though. The Baader look good also. 

I'm planning to get a bigger SCT next year, I'll probably buy the bino's before Christmas, so they will get used on my 102mm Mak first most probably. I'm a bit concerned about the combined weight of the 19mm Pan's which is approximately 374 grammes (not far off a pound in Imperial) plus the bino on a small Mak. I'm partially paralysed in my right arm so this can be a factor I have to take into consideration.

So I may use these Sky-Watcher 10 and 25mm with the bino at first. 

gallery_249298_5348_81667.jpg

They were inexpensive give-aways with SW scopes I have and have never really been used. They are very light in weight and the optical quality isn't bad at all.

#78 REC

REC

Voyager 1

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:09 AM

10mm EP are going to be too powerful for the 102 Mak I would think? The 19 Pans are not that heavy and should be fine. I think the Arcturus comes with a 1.6x barlow that you could try for a higher power?

#79 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Gemini

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:33 AM

10mm EP are going to be too powerful for the 102 Mak I would think? The 19 Pans are not that heavy and should be fine. I think the Arcturus comes with a 1.6x barlow that you could try for a higher power?

The 10mm will give me 130x and with the 1.6x Barlow the WO comes with it will give me 208x. I get a similar magnification with a 16mm Nagler plus a Powermate for lunar/planetary observing. They may be too powerful for other objects but I aim to use the bino for lunar viewing mostly. I live in the greenbelt and a Full Moon can illuminate my entire back garden so much that it's almost twilight. 

The Pan's don't seem that heavy individually, but combined with the bino plus a 9x50 RACI/reflex sight mounted on a small Mak, the shift in centre of gravity would almost certainly be noticeable. I predominantly have to operate the EQ mount clutches inter alia with my left (non-dominant) hand as there is not enough range or dexterity yet in my right hand and arm. 

I think the Panoptics will really come into their own when I get the 235mm SCT. 

#80 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Umag, Croatia, Europe

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:01 PM

I can recommend you these eyepieces, especially 10mm

http://www.ebay.com/...u0AAOSwosFUWI86

I found 10mm China beats my Siebert 10mm monocentric in all terms, including FOV, brightness, sharpness and contrast.

23mm is excellent, but not so good as 10mm.

4mm I did not try so far, but I order it and will try it soon...

All are VERY LIGHT, and very cheap.

• sopticals, bsavoie and spaceclown like this

#81 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Gemini

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:11 PM

I found 10mm China beats my Siebert 10mm monocentric in all terms, including FOV, brightness, sharpness and contrast.

They look good. 

#82 sopticals

sopticals

Apollo

• Loc: New Zealand

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:09 PM

Took your recommendation Denis, and bought a pair each of the 10mm and 23mm focal lengths. Often cheaper oculars with really nice performance, can be missed when one is selecting sets for binoviewing. So thanks again Denis for pointing out the above affordable eyepieces. Should function well with the Arcturus binoviewer, which is also on its way. Intend to use this bino and sets of eyepieces with my Celestron 102C-HD f9.8 refractor (on CG4 mount). Should be a good simple combo to use with family and friends who have had absolutely no telescope viewing experience.

Stephen.(45deg.S.)

#83 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:17 AM

Took your recommendation Denis, and bought a pair each of the 10mm and 23mm focal lengths. Often cheaper oculars with really nice performance, can be missed when one is selecting sets for binoviewing. So thanks again Denis for pointing out the above affordable eyepieces. Should function well with the Arcturus binoviewer, which is also on its way. Intend to use this bino and sets of eyepieces with my Celestron 102C-HD f9.8 refractor (on CG4 mount). Should be a good simple combo to use with family and friends who have had absolutely no telescope viewing experience.

Stephen.(45deg.S.)

You are welocme Stephen.

I am sure you will enjoy in them, especially 10mm pair.

#84 Jeff B

Jeff B

Anachronistic

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:39 AM

Stephen:

The C102's are great little scopes and screaming deals for what you spend.

If I may suggest, cutting back the tube a few inches will allow you to use your new binos without the need of a barlow device in the nose of the viewer.  Low power views are a hoot this way and the 23mm Vites should work quite well at that slower focal ratio and provide a 1.3-1.4 true field of view.

Cutting the tube is really easy to do if you're the least bit skilled with tools.  I've attached some pictures of what I did for essentially the same scope.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• Tube Cut Back B.jpg
  • Tube Cut Back A.jpg

• sopticals, happylimpet and bsavoie like this

#85 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:27 PM

I agree with your recommendation Jeff!

That is and is what I did on all my scopes, newts and refractors!

#86 doug mc

doug mc

Viking 1

• Loc: Tamborine Mountain Australia

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:30 PM

What type of eyepiece are these cheap 23mm and 10 mm. They look like they may be five element erfles.

#87 MDRP

MDRP

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 October 2015 - 02:14 PM

How does the optical performance of the Baader/Zeiss Mark IV compare with that if the current Mark V and other currently available units?

#88 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2015 - 02:35 PM

How does the optical performance of the Baader/Zeiss Mark IV compare with that if the current Mark V and other currently available units?

Actually, Mark IV bino does NOT exists!

He was never produced. This is given name by people, but not by Baader or Zeiss company.

Mark V bino have just tad better light transmittion, due slightly improved coatings, barely visible, but existent. No other opticall differences, just obvious mechanicall difference where MkV have ClickLock system for 1.25" eyepiece holders.

#89 Prescott702

Prescott702

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sin City

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:43 PM

One thing i dont understand, normally people use mirrors instead prism because those degrades viewings above 100x or so ... how could you use bv at 200x?

#90 REC

REC

Voyager 1

Posted 31 October 2015 - 09:17 AM

One thing i dont understand, normally people use mirrors instead prism because those degrades viewings above 100x or so ... how could you use bv at 200x?

It depends on the size of the scope I would say. I use a Baader prism diagonal in my 8" SCT with a BV and use powers up to 150x a lot on the moon and planets.

#91 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Administrators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:05 AM

It depends on the size of the scope I would say. I use a Baader prism diagonal in my 8" SCT with a BV and use powers up to 150x a lot on the moon and planets.

Prisms have come a long way recently.  Also, the trick to help in high magnification viewing is to place the OCS/Barlow BEFORE the Prisms (BV Nose Piece).

Mike

• bbbriggs likes this

#92 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:38 PM

Ok, lets add Arcturus, AST Optics binoviewers, and others with different logos and same design!

They are of course China production. Interestingly, they do not have polarisation effect. 

Diameter of beamspliter is 26mm (bigger than TS, Omegon and simmilar), with Clear Aperture on scope side 23mm.

Diameter of correction glass is only 22mm (while TS, Omegon and simmilar have 25mm), with Clear Aperture on eyepeice side 20mm. Here, correction glass seems to completly uncoated every time!

Diameter of upper prism is 25mm (same as TS, Omegon and simmilar), with Clear Aperture on eyepeice side 20mm.

Eyepeice holders are self centring, and not so good and precise as n TS, Omegon and simillar models.

All in all, very good binoviewer, with high light transmittion, and very affordable price!

Attached Thumbnails

• 891999-1.jpg
  • 891999-2.jpg

Edited by denis0007dl, 19 November 2015 - 11:41 PM.

• Live_Steam_Mad and sopticals like this

#93 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:12 AM

By readers request, to be all in one thread, here you can find Denk Binotron 27 precise measurements of Clear Apertures of all sides, as well diameter of prism, beamsplitter and correcting glass.

So, here you go:

*****Clear Aperture on left eyepeice side, when is precisely measured, 25.1mm
*****Clear Aperture on right eyepeice side, when is precisely measured, 25.1mm
*****Clear Aperture on back side, when 2" adapter is attached is precisely measured, 26.1mm
*****all glass diameters, including correction glass, upper prism, and beamsplitter is precisely measured, painted, 26.67mm.

Here are some attached pictures....

Attached Thumbnails

• post-208407-0-72095800-1444145806.jpg

#94 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:13 AM

...diameter of beamsplitter...

Attached Thumbnails

• post-208407-0-96078700-1444145965.jpg

#95 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:15 AM

...and here is inner side where is correction glass....

All in all, Mark V bino have obvious advantage in Clear Aperture terms.
Mark V have:
***28mm CA on scope side (with diameter of beamsplitter 30mm)
***26mm CA on one eyepiece side (with diameter of correction glass 28mm)
***28mm CA on second eyepiece side (with diameter on upper prisms 30mm)

I must add, that both Binotron 27 and Mark V have strong polarisation effect!

Attached Thumbnails

• post-208407-0-51681200-1444150176.jpg

#96 sopticals

sopticals

Apollo

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:52 AM

Ok, lets add Arcturus, AST Optics binoviewers, and others with different logos and same design!

They are of course China production. Interestingly, they do not have polarisation effect. 

Diameter of beamspliter is 26mm (bigger than TS, Omegon and simmilar), with Clear Aperture on scope side 23mm.

Diameter of correction glass is only 22mm (while TS, Omegon and simmilar have 25mm), with Clear Aperture on eyepeice side 20mm. Here, correction glass seems to completly uncoated every time!

Diameter of upper prism is 25mm (same as TS, Omegon and simmilar), with Clear Aperture on eyepeice side 20mm.

Eyepeice holders are self centring, and not so good and precise as n TS, Omegon and simillar models.

All in all, very good binoviewer, with high light transmittion, and very affordable price!

Hi Dennis, my Arcturus binoviewer arrived a few days back. Tried them with my C102-HD f9.8 refractor. Used the supplied 1.85x barlow with the 30mm Plossl oculars (which also came with the package). Subject was the 3-4 day moon. Image was nice and merging of images perfect, but thought overall a bit dim even though only at about 62x. Unit nice to handle, and not at all too heavy for the wee fractor. Overall an inexpensive package, liked the self centering eyepiece holders-better than my WO's,(Williams Optics).

A point I thought peculiar: and maybe that explains the apparent dimness of the moons image (though must admit I am used to using binos in the 14" dob [naturally a lot more light coming through-over 12x at same mag].

Attaching some pics of the binoviewer, and the supplied 1.85x and 3.0x barlows together with a 2.0x barlow as available for the WO bino (extreme right). Lens of each shown are on the nearer to primary/objective. Notice how small the aperture of the 1.85x is compared to the 3.0x and 2.0x (for WO unit). To my mind, surely this must restrict/cut down the incoming light cone appreciably, or am I missing something here?

Another point of interest: if these units Arcturus/Williams Optics binoviewers are coming from the same factory, why are the barlow threads different. Can't fit the 2.0x (WO) barlow to the Arcturus nose.

Stephen.(45deg.S.) 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3635.JPG
  • IMG_3636.JPG

Edited by sopticals, 20 November 2015 - 03:00 AM.

#97 sopticals

sopticals

Apollo

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:59 AM

Eyepieces arrived yesterday. Yet to try. I am impressed by their build and appearance, but yet to try. Nice and light, should be a pleasure to use. Looking forward to putting them to the test. Certainly inexpensive for 62degFOV.

Stephen.(45deg.S.)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3629.JPG
  • IMG_3630.JPG

#98 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:32 AM

Hi Dennis, my Arcturus binoviewer arrived a few days back. Tried them with my C102-HD f9.8 refractor. Used the supplied 1.85x barlow with the 30mm Plossl oculars (which also came with the package). Subject was the 3-4 day moon. Image was nice and merging of images perfect, but thought overall a bit dim even though only at about 62x. Unit nice to handle, and not at all too heavy for the wee fractor. Overall an inexpensive package, liked the self centering eyepiece holders-better than my WO's,(Williams Optics).

A point I thought peculiar: and maybe that explains the apparent dimness of the moons image (though must admit I am used to using binos in the 14" dob [naturally a lot more light coming through-over 12x at same mag].

Attaching some pics of the binoviewer, and the supplied 1.85x and 3.0x barlows together with a 2.0x barlow as available for the WO bino (extreme right). Lens of each shown are on the nearer to primary/objective. Notice how small the aperture of the 1.85x is compared to the 3.0x and 2.0x (for WO unit). To my mind, surely this must restrict/cut down the incoming light cone appreciably, or am I missing something here?

Another point of interest: if these units Arcturus/Williams Optics binoviewers are coming from the same factory, why are the barlow threads different. Can't fit the 2.0x (WO) barlow to the Arcturus nose.

Stephen.(45deg.S.) 

Stephen,

I never tested Arcturus 1.85x and 3x GPCs. I know they can not fit to classic F28.5 thread, to be attached to standard filter connection on side of 1,25" adapters. Arcturus GPCs have smaller diameter of male thread than M25.5.

#99 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:48 AM

Eyepieces arrived yesterday. Yet to try. I am impressed by their build and appearance, but yet to try. Nice and light, should be a pleasure to use. Looking forward to putting them to the test. Certainly inexpensive for 62degFOV.

Stephen.(45deg.S.)

Here are my bino sets. 10mm pair are unexpected performers. I already write that 10mm beats my Siebert 10mm Monocentric in ALL regards.

23mms are very good, while 4mm are weakest of line.

Great is that they are light, and becasue top plastic lenses, they do not get fogged easily where all other eyepeices does when conditions are like this.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0307.JPG

#100 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:10 AM

I want share with you my experience with biggest Olympus binoviewer from microscope!

Here you can see comparasion with smaller Zeiss unit....

It is ROBUST, and very well made, with plastic sides, liek all China binos have like TS, WO, Denkmeier Binotron 27.....

Eye distance between eyes can be adjusted from 49mm to max 77mm.

Weight of bino is 820 grams.

It hakes 6mm more light path than TS binoviewer.

Polarisation effect is almost non present, but is is there very little.

Only negatve thing for me, is that it produce slightly yellowish image.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20151125_57483.jpg
  • IMG_20151125_9244.jpg

Edited by denis0007dl, 25 November 2015 - 08:20 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics