•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Free To A Good Home -The Giveaway Thread-

• Please log in to reply
679 replies to this topic

#651 badback

badback

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:07 AM

I have to say that the last couple of things that I have given away free to CN members here through this thread, I have not received a ‘thank you’ on receipt or even a notification of receipt. Nope, not so mush as “kiss my a#$”! Come on people, I realize that we are living in an age where we have ceased with most social graces and basic manners, but geeze! We are of an age where we were taught better! Even tho bad behavior is modeled for us on an almost daily basis by those in media and politics, we can be better than that. If we are going to keep the spirit of this thread up, lets do it in the spirit of Emily Post. That doesn’t mean a stamped and mailed, formal thank you card, a kindly PM would suffice.

Nouf said!

And if this doesn’t pertain to you, then give yourself a pat on the back from me! love.gif

COLOR ME EMBARRASSED

I'm one of those "ungrateful dogs" so...

RELEASE THE HOUNDS.

Ani colorme.gif          

Sometimes Life gets in the way.

I will thank you tomorrow

in the way I originally intended.

• Jon Isaacs, Martin, roscoe and 8 others like this

#652 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:21 AM

PS.... Tom, I have met you in person.... you worry too much!  I cannot for a moment think you would forget to thank someone for a good deed done! 

Thanks Russ . I don't know if it's that I " Worry Too Much " More so I , Think Too Much .  scratchhead2.gif Did I Forget Or Didn't I ? scratchhead2.gif Well just in case I DID , another Thank You flowerred.gif can't hurt ! After all if it wasn't for Terra this thread would not exist bow.gif waytogo.gif

Edited by TOM KIEHL, 23 March 2019 - 07:22 AM.

• roscoe, Kasmos, Thaeland and 1 other like this

#653 Earthbound1

Earthbound1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gordo, Alabama

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:45 AM

Many thanks again Chuck Hards!!! You are a truly giving, inspirational man, man... If not for you, I would not have been inspired to endeavor to try and improve the current state and technology of the ballscope. I hope my insights and contributions to it's design and my work on a GOTO mount for one will delight and inspire others long after my allotted time has run out. The 12" mirror and accompanying secondary you graciously allowed me to aquire for your desire to treat you and your wife to 2 of Baskin Robbins' 31 flavors will surely not be forgotten by me as long as I breathe! Kudos to YOU for ALL you've done for ALL of us and thank you ALL CN members for being a giving and inspiring community of like minded individuals whose pursuit and thirst for knowledge of the heavens above has made and is continuing to make this world a BETTER place!!! - Chip
  • DreamWeaver, Chuck Hards, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#654 Himal Bhandari

Himal Bhandari

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Itahari,Nepal

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:44 AM

I have a Meade telestar 114mm f/8 reflector on an az mount that is free to anyone who could use it, or who knows someone who could. I can't say much about the optics, but it seems to perform reasonably well (it's not a Bird-Jones design). The az mount is sturdy enough as far as these things go, and it has slow motion controls (although I'm missing the az cable). The straight through finder is maybe a slight improvement over sighting down the tube. I can also include 26mm, 9mm, and 6.3mm 1.25" modified achromat eyepieces and a 2x Barlow.

attachicon.gif Meade telestar.jpg

I had some really rewarding nights with this telescope as I was figuring out whether I liked observing with a scope, and for the price of a red-dot finder someone who's interested in the hobby but not in a position to spend much money could have a scope that could keep you engaged for quite a while. 

Available for pickup in Richmond, Virginia.

Can u send it to Nepal?

• Thaeland likes this

#655 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:10 PM

Can u send it to Nepal?

Only if you can pick it up in Virginia. ;)

• TOM KIEHL, Dynan and Thaeland like this

#656 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:38 PM

Used Moonlite CFL Large Format Draw Tube. This is the older style that DOES NOT have adapter threads at the camera/eyepiece end. Three #10-32 thumb screws not included.

I.D. = 2.5" O.D. = 2.75" Overall length is 7.125".

This guy has seen a lot of photons. Slight wear at the bearing contact points, and shaft contact area. A couple numbers are etched into it by previous owner, but affect nothing, unless you hate the number 777 or 5.6

Free to a good home. $12.00 USPS Priority shipping.

Paypal only. CONUS only.

Moonlite Drawtube (1).jpg

Moonlite Drawtube (2).jpg

Moonlite Drawtube (3).jpg

Edited by Dynan, 25 March 2019 - 02:44 PM.

• terraclarke and Earthbound1 like this

#657 Himal Bhandari

Himal Bhandari

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:47 AM

Only if you can pick it up in Virginia. wink.gif

Can u send to nepal if I pay the shipping expenses? please

#658 Himal Bhandari

Himal Bhandari

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:50 AM

Super cheapo Sears 60mm 700mm

Must go away, I have another scope on the way this week. Probably the only thing useful is the wooden legs and objective. If somebody doesn't want it I'll have to disassemble it for the legs and lens then pitch the rest.

There's a dent in the OTA under a finder foot, big old dent in the poor excuse for a finder, and the cheaply plated hardware is bubbling. Also the focuser friction fitting is kaput.

21660691340_faeb76498f_c.jpgUntitled by Kris Flory, on Flickr

21661867149_810344096e_c.jpgUntitled by Kris Flory, on Flickr

21225975384_3fce21caf9_c.jpgUntitled by Kris Flory, on Flickr

21661864799_bbd815db4a_c.jpgUntitled by Kris Flory, on Flickr

i would like to have that! Can u send it to Nepal if I pay the shipping Expenses? PLEASE

#659 Himal Bhandari

Himal Bhandari

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:05 AM

I have a Meade telestar 114mm f/8 reflector on an az mount that is free to anyone who could use it, or who knows someone who could. I can't say much about the optics, but it seems to perform reasonably well (it's not a Bird-Jones design). The az mount is sturdy enough as far as these things go, and it has slow motion controls (although I'm missing the az cable). The straight through finder is maybe a slight improvement over sighting down the tube. I can also include 26mm, 9mm, and 6.3mm 1.25" modified achromat eyepieces and a 2x Barlow.

attachicon.gif Meade telestar.jpg

I had some really rewarding nights with this telescope as I was figuring out whether I liked observing with a scope, and for the price of a red-dot finder someone who's interested in the hobby but not in a position to spend much money could have a scope that could keep you engaged for quite a while. 

Available for pickup in Richmond, Virginia.

Can you send it to Nepal please! I will pay the shipping expenses. PLEASE!!!

#660 Himal Bhandari

Himal Bhandari

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:12 AM

Happy Independence Day!

for only the cost of shipping I'm offering up this Halley's Comet era Jason 323 Comet Catcher. Although I doubt any comets were caught by it, the Pleiades, Double Cluster, and Lagoon look nice. Also good views of the moon. It looks cool sitting on your bookshelf and will certainly start a few conversations.

Included is the OTA, mount, 4mm eyepiece and a 3x Barlow. The finder scope is missing. Shipping is from 83703 so plan accordingly. I can probably have it out the door on Friday.

PLEASE PM ME IF YOUR INTER

Happy Independence Day!

for only the cost of shipping I'm offering up this Halley's Comet era Jason 323 Comet Catcher. Although I doubt any comets were caught by it, the Pleiades, Double Cluster, and Lagoon look nice. Also good views of the moon. It looks cool sitting on your bookshelf and will certainly start a few conversations.

Included is the OTA, mount, 4mm eyepiece and a 3x Barlow. The finder scope is missing. Shipping is from 83703 so plan accordingly. I can probably have it out the door on Friday.

PLEASE PM ME IF YOUR INTERESTED 

HI, can u send it to Nepal? I will pay the Shipping Expenses! please

#661 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:18 AM

Himal Bhandari, some of us are working behind-the-scenes on sending you a telescope.  Send me a Private Message using our PM system with your address.  Do not post it here in the discussion forums.

Thanks!

• roscoe, terraclarke, TOM KIEHL and 13 others like this

#662 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Viking 1

• Loc: 76707

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:37 AM

The Edmund Scientific reflector has a new home. Thanks to all that responded.
  • Vesper818, terraclarke, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#663 mark77

mark77

Messenger

• Loc: PA

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:25 PM

Used Moonlite CFL Large Format Draw Tube. This is the older style that DOES NOT have adapter threads at the camera/eyepiece end. Three #10-32 thumb screws not included.

This guy has seen a lot of photons. Slight wear at the bearing contact points, and shaft contact area. A couple numbers are etched into it by previous owner, but affect nothing, unless you hate the number 777 or 5.6

Paypal only. CONUS only.

If the moonlite draw tube is still available, I would like it.

Mark

#664 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 02 April 2019 - 03:32 PM

Monolux box in poor shape but..........

I gave away my sweet monolux to a newbee and I am grateful that he appreciated it  I admit i do miss the   monolux

but the box is still here  and the laminate was peeling off the box on top and bottom   no one wanted it  ...   so it might not be worth shipping to anyone  honestly  unless you had the monolux and needed a box  and bought the luan wood to relam it 

But NEAF handoff is easy peasy

EDIT    here is the 

pic of nice inside of box  after I get back from teaching Ethics tononight

gtg

Attached Thumbnails

• monobox2IMG_1758.jpg
  • monoluxboxIMG_1759.jpg
  • monoluxboxIMG_1753.jpg
  • box2IMG_1764.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 03 April 2019 - 12:45 PM.

• Bomber Bob, Augustus and Earthbound1 like this

#665 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:15 PM

The Monolux box is spoken for to be picked up at Neaf by someone who teaches astronomy and loans telescopes to students. Thanks for doing all you do encouraging young folks.......and it is just one more project to add to your long list of projects you are taking on for the cause.

Best regards

Barry

• roscoe, TOM KIEHL, Garyth64 and 6 others like this

#666 mark77

mark77

Messenger

• Loc: PA

Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:36 AM

Paypal only. CONUS only.

Arrved yesterday. Thank you very much

• Dynan and Earthbound1 like this

#667 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 06:56 PM

Got back from NEAF last night and want to offer some thanks. 

First of all to DMala, who donated his beautiful Monolux 4380 for my student loaner collection,

https://www.cloudyni...ew monolux 4380

and sold me a super nice Tasco 10TE-5 for a very generous price. 

https://www.cloudyni...rice-reduction/

On top of that, he fell ill Friday morning and then, while still sick, arranged for a friend to meet me at NEAF with the scopes. 

And also to DefenderSlideGuitar, for donating a delaminated box for another Monolux 4380 (see #664 above) that I'm going to convert to house a different scope. The top is actually not in bad condition, in that most of the veneer is there. I think I can strip off the bottom veneer and use it to fill in the missing pieces, then apply a full sheet to the bottom. I may even just replace the bottom, since that will allow me to build the new supports more easily. The nice coincidence here is that the box for DMala's 4380 is missing the handle and the label, so I will be able to transfer those over, and then the rebuilt box can get a replacement handle. 

I also want to say thanks to all of the volunteers at the Classic Telescopes display for putting together such a great booth, and being such enthusiastic and patient hosts to the many people who came through. They're great ambassadors for the forum and the hobby. In a show filled with stocky-looking short focal length, large aperture refractors and where most of the Newtonians are on Dobson mounts, it was a real contrast to see all those sleek f15 refractors and the equatorially mounted Newtonians. 

Chip W. 

• deepwoods1, Chuck Hards, KentTolley and 10 others like this

#668 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:52 PM

Got back from NEAF last night and want to offer some thanks.

(...)

Chip W.

It makes me so happy that my very first classic is in very good hands. I hope you and your students will enjoy it. And from my side a big thank you to my girlfriend and to my son, who filled in for me while I am in the hospital.
  • KentTolley, terraclarke, Kasmos and 5 others like this

#669 astrodon

astrodon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Portland, OR, USA

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:46 PM

Our chaslx200 posted this for pu in Tampa FL

https://www.cloudyni...-15-cave-mount/

• Garyth64 likes this

#670 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:50 AM

Our chaslx200 posted this for pu in Tampa FL

https://www.cloudyni...-15-cave-mount/

" If it was local I would jump , All the good deals are in Fla." lol.gif

• DreamWeaver, terraclarke, Dartguy and 3 others like this

#671 wrvond

wrvond

Apollo

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:09 AM

" If it was local I would jump , All the good deals are in Fla." lol.gif

All the good deals I find are on the west coast.

Even worse, they’re usually gone!  mad.gif  bawling.gif

Edited by wrvond, 23 April 2019 - 08:10 AM.

• Thaeland likes this

#672 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Albany, Mississippi, USA

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:23 AM

All the good deals I find are on the west coast.

Even worse, they’re usually gone!  mad.gif  bawling.gif

I feel your pain, brother!

#673 mountman

mountman

Sputnik

• Loc: Santa Barbara, CA area

Posted 28 April 2019 - 08:33 AM

Astroscan parts to make one scope.

I'm divesting myself of some of my projects.  I expect a move at some as yet undetermined date, and am feeling a bit cluttered.  And, truth be told, the fire that burned for this stuff is not as hot as it once was.   50 years of building and restoring scopes and I guess I'm looking for a break from a first love.

It'll roll back around but, for now, some stuff is going.

I bought a couple damaged/incomplete Astroscan's a while back with the intent of making one good one.  All of the bits and pieces that you need to complete this project are present.  Along with spares, of course.   One of the tubes (the bright red one) is in a bit better shape.  One of the tubes (the dull red one) has the primary mirror still installed.  The other stuff you can see in the pictures.  I am not parting this out.  There are a couple of bits here that were given to be by some folks with the understanding that I was going to restore and Astroscan.  I'd like their intent in giving me the parts to be honored.  Hence, I'd like it to go to someone who hopes to complete the project. 

Take it all for the cost of shipping in an 18 x 18 x 18" box that weights about 20lbs.   Shipping is from 93117.  If I can pack it up tighter, lighter and smaller, I will.  But right now, that is the box that I have.  Local pick up welcome.

Attached Thumbnails

• Astroscan_01.jpg
  • Astroscan_02.jpg

• Bomber Bob, Augustus, AstroKerr and 2 others like this

#674 mountman

mountman

Sputnik

Posted 28 April 2019 - 08:52 AM

Astroscan parts to make one scope.

I'm divesting myself of some of my projects.  I expect a move at some as yet undetermined date, and am feeling a bit cluttered.  And, truth be told, the fire that burned for this stuff is not as hot as it once was.   50 years of building and restoring scopes and I guess I'm looking for a break from a first love.

It'll roll back around but, for now, some stuff is going.

I bought a couple damaged/incomplete Astroscan's a while back with the intent of making one good one.  All of the bits and pieces that you need to complete this project are present.  Along with spares, of course.   One of the tubes (the bright red one) is in a bit better shape.  One of the tubes (the dull red one) has the primary mirror still installed.  The other stuff you can see in the pictures.  I am not parting this out.  There are a couple of bits here that were given to be by some folks with the understanding that I was going to restore and Astroscan.  I'd like their intent in giving me the parts to be honored.  Hence, I'd like it to go to someone who hopes to complete the project. 

Take it all for the cost of shipping in an 18 x 18 x 18" box that weights about 20lbs.   Shipping is from 93117.  If I can pack it up tighter, lighter and smaller, I will.  But right now, that is the box that I have.  Local pick up welcome.

The Astroscan parts are spoken for and are headed to a new home.

Thanks all.

Kurt

• Bomber Bob, Augustus, Earthbound1 and 1 other like this

#675 mountman

mountman

Sputnik

Posted 28 April 2019 - 05:49 PM

Celestron Cometron CO-60.

This mostly plastic scope is a bit rough around the edges.  The glass needs to be cleaned but is otherwise in good condition.  The plastic tube has scrapes and scars but is fully functional.  Comes with the original diagonal and a Celestron branded circle "V" 10mm Kellner.

The mount is an all plastic Alt-Az head that is in pretty good condition and works smoothly.  It has wooden legs.  It is missing the tripod tray.

This will, likely, never be a collectors piece but it will pass any utilitarian standard with minimal effort on your part.

I don't have a box for it yet and can't guess shipping costs for you but it will ship from 93117.  Local pickup welcome.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9525.JPG
  • IMG_9526.JPG
  • IMG_9527.JPG
  • IMG_9528.JPG
  • IMG_9529.JPG
  • IMG_9531.JPG

• CharlieB, Bomber Bob, TSSClay and 5 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics