•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Free To A Good Home -The Giveaway Thread-

• Please log in to reply
725 replies to this topic

#676 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:25 PM

RIP, DMala.

• Himal Bhandari likes this

#677 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Vanguard

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:41 PM

Free to a good home (or a bad one, or even a very bad one), but you have to pick it up. I’m not shipping it.

Celestron Super C8 tripod from around 1983. I’ve added bicycle seat clamps to the legs for extra security. Not shown here.

Located in Fort Pierce, FL.  Again, I am NOT shipping this.

gallery_211497_8907_108637.jpg

• terraclarke, Kasmos and Thaeland like this

#678 Thaeland

Thaeland

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cibolo, Texas

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:46 PM

Wish I was in Florida. I really need this....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

#679 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 19 June 2019 - 04:04 PM

Gil are you there?  I have the high hat visual back for the Dynamax 8 that you can have for shipping.  I sold both scopes and yes I completely finished rebuilding that mount with improvements galore.  If I had a link, I'd add all these pictures of it and maybe some description.  I finished the mount years ago when I did a thread and we emailed, I just never finished in the string.

Let me know about the long visual back, pm me on it.

Neil

#680 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:35 PM

Gil are you there?  I have the high hat visual back for the Dynamax 8 that you can have for shipping.  I sold both scopes and yes I completely finished rebuilding that mount with improvements galore.  If I had a link, I'd add all these pictures of it and maybe some description.  I finished the mount years ago when I did a thread and we emailed, I just never finished in the string.

Let me know about the long visual back, pm me on it.

Neil

done.

#681 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:06 PM

Free to a good home: TV 13mm Nagler type 6. Great condition, no box.

Lady Luck smiled upon me twice recently, winning TV eyepiece sets at Stellafane twice over the last 4 years. There is some overlap in the sets, and it seems wrong to sell all the overlaps. Bad karma.

A couple "rules", as unenforceable as they are:

1) Follow Chuck's rule #2: No flippers! And if you do resell, don't ever let me find out.
2) If you can afford to just cut a check for this whenever you wish: leave it for someone who can't
3) Use it for outreach

Price includes shipping. USA only please.

First PM I see takes it.

Clear Skies,

Peter B.

• roscoe, Chuck Hards, mdowns and 13 others like this

#682 fyrfytr310

fyrfytr310

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:20 PM

Free to a good home: TV 13mm Nagler type 6. Great condition, no box.

Lady Luck smiled upon me twice recently, winning TV eyepiece sets at Stellafane twice over the last 4 years. There is some overlap in the sets, and it seems wrong to sell all the overlaps. Bad karma.

A couple "rules", as unenforceable as they are:

1) Follow Chuck's rule #2: No flippers! And if you do resell, don't ever let me find out.
2) If you can afford to just cut a check for this whenever you wish: leave it for someone who can't
3) Use it for outreach

Price includes shipping. USA only please.

First PM I see takes it.

Clear Skies,

Peter B.

PM sent a few minutes ago.

• Russell Smith likes this

#683 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:22 PM

The TV is spoken for. Thanks for all the quick responses folks. 

Peter

• terraclarke, Defenderslideguitar, Russell Smith and 1 other like this

#684 ryanr256

ryanr256

Mariner 2

• Loc: Southwest Ohio

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:21 PM

Free to a good home:

Vintage Tasco 1603EF Electric Focuser. Never used, still in the plastic bags. It's a little thicker than a flat rate Priority Mail box. It will probably be between $9 and $10 for shipping.

-Bob

#685 ryanr256

ryanr256

Mariner 2

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:45 PM

The focuser has been taken.

-Bob
  • Russell Smith and Himal Bhandari like this

#686 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:57 PM

60mm OBJECTIVE LENSES

Free to a good home. Two 60mm Fraunhofer air-spaced achromatic doublet lens sets. Both have original spacers intact and registration marks. No pits, scratches, or dendrites.

On the left is a Royal Astro. It is 910mm f.l., has aluminum foil tab spacers, and a small (less than a quarter-inch diameter) clamchip on the inside edge of the flint element.

The one on the right is 700mm f.l., is Taiwanese with a spacer ring, and has no chips. Offered for experimentation, build, or replacement.

You can have either or both!

Ten bucks (each or both) to cover shipping via USPS Flat Rate small box and PayPal fees. CONUS and PayPal only.

If nobody takes them within a month, they go into the recycle bin with the beer bottles.

Attached Thumbnails

• BC197066-1F1C-403D-85E2-E832A42F4849.jpeg

• Bomber Bob and Kasmos like this

#687 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:38 PM

The objectives are spoken for.

• Marc-Andre, Defenderslideguitar and Earthbound1 like this

#688 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:08 PM

If anyone needs a white metal tube to use with one of those objectives, I have one in rough cosmetic condition from a 1950s Tasco Royal Astro Optical 60mm/910mm f/15 refractor. Has female threads on one end and male threads on the other for threading on lens cell and focuser. Has baffles inside. It's a really nice thick-walled aluminum tube. Lots of scratches in the paint, but no dents. Surely somebody would like a nice tube to make a 60mm refractor?

Free plus the cost of shipping. Since it's long, I am thinking about $16.50?

• Earthbound1 likes this

#689 2696

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:17 AM

If anyone needs a white metal tube to use with one of those objectives, I have one in rough cosmetic condition from a 1950s Tasco Royal Astro Optical 60mm/910mm f/15 refractor. Has female threads on one end and male threads on the other for threading on lens cell and focuser. Has baffles inside. It's a really nice thick-walled aluminum tube. Lots of scratches in the paint, but no dents. Surely somebody would like a nice tube to make a 60mm refractor?

Free plus the cost of shipping. Since it's long, I am thinking about $16.50?

I would love to take that off your hands! I can shoot you an email real quick.

#690 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:36 PM

The tube is spoken for, thanks!

#691 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:22 PM

A huge thank-you to Bob (ryanr256) for donating his Meade 300 (Towa 80/1200) to the loaner set for my students! It arrived today, very well packed, completely undamaged.

https://www.cloudyni...00a-long-story/

With a little research I learned that of the Towa 339 offerings (which included the Tasco 10K), this is an earlier model, offered from the time when Meade first began advertising in S&T (they began with a tiny ad that implied they could sell for less because they weren't wasting money on big ads) until they started taking out full spreads. The black dew shield version was in ads from July of '72 to August of '76. After that, they switched to a white dew shield. 

Here's how it arrived:

Meade 300 - 1.jpg

Meade 300 - 2.jpg

My wife even commented on how nice it looks! That's a rare endorsement from someone who has seen lot of scopes pass through my work space. It does look almost like new. I think the students will also be impressed!

Now I just need some clear weather to try it out. School starts in two weeks, so I'm hoping that it will be all ready to go by then. It needs a few eyepieces, which I can easily piece together from what I have. The one missing piece that I'll have to keep a watch out for is the sun screen and its mounting bracket/rod. It isn't necessary (especially since the sun is so quiet this year), but when I can, I like to have them available for the students to try out. 

On a side note, as I was looking through the early 70's S&T issues, I happened upon this ad from someone we know:

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 7.04.48 PM.png

Hard to believe that's over 40 years ago!

Chip W.

• zjc26138, Marc-Andre, terraclarke and 9 others like this

#692 ryanr256

ryanr256

Mariner 2

Posted 26 August 2019 - 04:28 PM

A huge thank-you to Bob (ryanr256) for donating his Meade 300 (Towa 80/1200) to the loaner set for my students! It arrived today, very well packed, completely undamaged.

https://www.cloudyni...00a-long-story/

With a little research I learned that of the Towa 339 offerings (which included the Tasco 10K), this is an earlier model, offered from the time when Meade first began advertising in S&T (they began with a tiny ad that implied they could sell for less because they weren't wasting money on big ads) until they started taking out full spreads. The black dew shield version was in ads from July of '72 to August of '76. After that, they switched to a white dew shield. 

Here's how it arrived:

attachicon.gif Meade 300 - 1.jpg

attachicon.gif Meade 300 - 2.jpg

My wife even commented on how nice it looks! That's a rare endorsement from someone who has seen lot of scopes pass through my work space. It does look almost like new. I think the students will also be impressed!

Now I just need some clear weather to try it out. School starts in two weeks, so I'm hoping that it will be all ready to go by then. It needs a few eyepieces, which I can easily piece together from what I have. The one missing piece that I'll have to keep a watch out for is the sun screen and its mounting bracket/rod. It isn't necessary (especially since the sun is so quiet this year), but when I can, I like to have them available for the students to try out. 

On a side note, as I was looking through the early 70's S&T issues, I happened upon this ad from someone we know:

attachicon.gif Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 7.04.48 PM.png

Hard to believe that's over 40 years ago!

Chip W.

I'm glad it will see some use. Hopefully someone will be inspired like I was when I was a young student.

-Bob

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#693 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:52 AM

I'll go ahead & start this post, and add pictures & other items as I dig through my shed.

-- 5.38" diameter (metal to metal) Tube Rings (No Idea where these came from!)

-- 9.50" diameter (metal to metal) Tube Rings (look like from an 8" Meade StarFinder)

-- Celestron / Vixen C4.5N Mirror Set  (Primary is mint, Secondary has a coating streak)

-- Celestron / Vixen C4.5N OTA hardware (cells, focuser, etc.)

-- Celestron / Vixen Polaris EQ Mount Head (this is the one I used on a short pedestal)

* I think an ATM could take all the C / V stuff, and build a 4.5" Newt + EQ mount.  The mirrors have been in a sealed Tupperware dish with desiccant packs.  Tried to give these away before, but no interest / takers.  If you are interested, I'll take a better look at the optics; and, see if there's more hardware available.

So, priority for the C/V stuff will go to a young / newer CN Member who wants to build a workable C4.5N.  

Edited by Bomber Bob, 07 September 2019 - 08:09 AM.

• Allanbarth1 and Defenderslideguitar like this

#694 skysoldier173abn

skysoldier173abn

Explorer 1

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:51 AM

I would like the focuser, secondary stalk and primary mirror pls for a project 114 Powerseeker I’m working on. Thanks

Edited by skysoldier173abn, 07 September 2019 - 10:10 AM.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#695 skysoldier173abn

skysoldier173abn

Explorer 1

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:31 AM

Having time to think about it, may I please tackle the challenge of building the scope with the C/V hardware? 

#696 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:25 PM

Shoot me a PM, and we'll discuss.

ALL  Y'ALL Please respond to my Post via PM (Private Message) so we don't clog the thread.

THANKS!!

Edited by Bomber Bob, 07 September 2019 - 12:25 PM.

#697 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:19 PM

BB is right, we ask that communication on items be via PM.  Thanks!

#698 skysoldier173abn

skysoldier173abn

Explorer 1

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:43 PM

Thanks. My mistake

#699 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Skylab

• Loc: The flatlands of Northwest Ohio 41.11N --Bloomdale

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:54 PM

Thanks. My mistake

welcome.gif Welcome to Cloudy Nights! It's good to see interested newcomers. Please note that forums and threads often have specific rules set by moderators and original posters. Chuck posted the rules for this thread on its first post here

#700 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:38 PM

I have a bunch of parts and pieces I would like to give away. Some are obvious as to what they are while others I have no clue about. Most are from vintage telescopes. At any rate, I'll stuff a medium flat rate box full of them, as many as will safely fit and I'll send it to someone for the cost of shipping (around $14+). Respond by way of private message if interested.

• Earthbound1 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics