•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Free To A Good Home -The Giveaway Thread-

• Please log in to reply
808 replies to this topic

#776 mountman

mountman

Explorer 1

• Loc: Santa Barbara, CA area

Posted 11 January 2020 - 09:37 AM

Whoops!  *7*x50's.

The bino's have a new home.  Thanks all!

Kurt

• Terra Nova and TSSClay like this

#777 mountman

mountman

Explorer 1

Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:53 PM

This is most of a Tasco 18E spotting scope and mount sans legs.  60mm.  It was given to me by a neighbor.  (People do that sort of thing when they know what I'm into.)  It has languished on a shelf collecting dust for a couple of years now.  I clearly need to pass it on.

Note that it lacks the focuser.  But the glass looks good with the exception that smears were left on it when someone cleaned it.  No damage to the coatings that I can detect.  Cosmetic damage overall, of course.

I  have packed it in a 9 x 9 x 18" box that weighs 10lbs.  All this can be yours for the cost of shipping from 93117.  If no one wants the whole shebang, I'll separate the OTA from the mount with the same spectacular deal.  FREE.

If no one wants any of the components......  well.....  we won't speak of that......01.jpg

• photiost, JoeVanGeaux and wcoastsands like this

#778 mountman

mountman

Explorer 1

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:40 PM

This is an Al-Az mount from a Celestron CO-60.  The bottom half is metal and the saddle is plastic.  The motion/action on it is surprisingly good when the load is appropriate and balanced.  I'm certain that it will fit in a medium flat rate box - especially if I disassemble it.  So, $12.80 for shipping and it is yours.

Attached Thumbnails

• 01.jpg
  • 02.jpg

• Augustus likes this

#779 mountman

mountman

Explorer 1

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:10 PM

This is most of a Tasco 18E spotting scope and mount sans legs.  60mm.  It was given to me by a neighbor.  (People do that sort of thing when they know what I'm into.)  It has languished on a shelf collecting dust for a couple of years now.  I clearly need to pass it on.

Note that it lacks the focuser.  But the glass looks good with the exception that smears were left on it when someone cleaned it.  No damage to the coatings that I can detect.  Cosmetic damage overall, of course.

I  have packed it in a 9 x 9 x 18" box that weighs 10lbs.  All this can be yours for the cost of shipping from 93117.  If no one wants the whole shebang, I'll separate the OTA from the mount with the same spectacular deal.  FREE.

If no one wants any of the components......  well.....  we won't speak of that......attachicon.gif01.jpg

The Tasco 18E has a new lease on life.  Thanks All!

#780 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 16 January 2020 - 02:49 PM

Here is a 12V DC drive corrector with a built-in AC Inverter. It was built and marketed in limited numbers for the C8 back in the 1970s. The C8’s AC power cord plugs into the unit, and the unit plugs into a standard 12Vport such as a car’s cigarette lighter or a battery jump-starter. It was given to me by a good friend and fellow CN’er. I haven’t used it but here’s what he had to say about it.

When I bought my C8 back in '77, I got it from a guy in San Jose CA who was just starting business as a telescope vendor, and had put an advertisement in Sky & Telescope. At that point, he hadn't yet opened up a storefront, and was still amassing inventory and storing it in his three-car garage.”

“So it turned out that he was also an electronics guy... and while talking with him on the phone about shipping and such for the C8 (in the end, my girlfriend and I drove up from Santa Barbara to San Jose, to pick it up), he reminded me that its drive motors were AC-only, and also that they only had a fixed sidereal rate. He then offered to make a little rheostat-controlled inverter/slow-motion control for it (Right Ascension only, of course) that could be plugged into a car's cigarette lighter... and of course I took him up on it. Here's what it looks like:”

“The black knob is the rheostat, which is used to adjust the tracking rate. The black and red buttons very slightly speed-up (red) and slow-down (black) the Right Ascension drive rate... so they can be used like RA slow-motion controls to help with centering an object, instead of using the manual RA Slo-Mo control, which as you know, is pretty course.”

The AC 120 output on the inverter is non-polarized (two identical blades) so it won’t work with what I have. New owner needs to pay for shipping. I figure the shipping to be ten or twelve bucks (USPS, CONUS only). Hoping there is a classic C8 owner who can make good use of this.

Attached Thumbnails

• D5C16CDA-3A57-4649-B14C-FC846061FF5B.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 16 January 2020 - 07:42 PM.

• Bomber Bob, Augustus, B 26354 and 1 other like this

#781 MitchK

MitchK

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Burbank, WA / Goldendale, WA

Posted 16 January 2020 - 04:25 PM

If your mount requires a 120vac grounded plug, just go to your local hardware store and buy a 2 blade to grounded plug adapter. Plug it all in and it will work fine. The motor windings should be isolated from the scope mount. The ground plug is just left floating. I have a Meade manufactured drive corrector with three conductor plug. When I inspected the unit recently, I discovered Meade had just clipped off the ground wire on the back of the plug. No problems with it. I also purchased it new when I bought the scope in 1985. 

• Terra Nova likes this

#782 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Explorer 1

• Loc: Cincinnati OH

Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:03 PM

Does anyone know if this would work with my Cave mount?  It seems to track a bit sluggishly.

#783 MitchK

MitchK

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Burbank, WA / Goldendale, WA

Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:23 PM

If your cave mount uses a ac clock motor, then it should work fine. It would work with my 1985 vintage Criterion RV-6, so should work with the Cave.

#784 mountman

mountman

Explorer 1

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:45 AM

I got these rings here from Bomber Bob a month or so ago.  They won't work for me on my Pacific Instruments tube.  So close and yet so far.....   mad.gif

So.  Here they are again.  9.25" I.D. - just like before.

Shipping from 93117 in a box that is 13" x 12" x 6" and is a bit shy of 4lbs.

Attached Thumbnails

• 01.jpg

• Thaeland likes this

#785 mountman

mountman

Explorer 1

Posted 18 January 2020 - 02:46 PM

I got these rings here from Bomber Bob a month or so ago.  They won't work for me on my Pacific Instruments tube.  So close and yet so far.....   mad.gif

So.  Here they are again.  9.25" I.D. - just like before.

Shipping from 93117 in a box that is 13" x 12" x 6" and is a bit shy of 4lbs.

The rings have a new home. 

• Thaeland likes this

#786 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:31 AM

Unitron 142 - Wood Legs & Spreader

I sold my Goto 106 EQ, and no longer need these:

Goto 106 EQ & Unitron 142 Tripod S01 (Edmund 4).jpg

I'd prefer these go to a Model 142 owner who wants to finish a kit.

• Marc-Andre, Terra Nova, Garyth64 and 4 others like this

#787 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:11 PM

The 142 legs are taken.

• Terra Nova and sunrag like this

#788 mountman

mountman

Explorer 1

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:11 PM

This is an Al-Az mount from a Celestron CO-60.  The bottom half is metal and the saddle is plastic.  The motion/action on it is surprisingly good when the load is appropriate and balanced.  I'm certain that it will fit in a medium flat rate box - especially if I disassemble it.  So, $12.80 for shipping and it is yours.

The mount head has a new home.

Thanks all.

#789 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:35 PM

it looks like the drive corrector will be going to a new home with the C8.

• deepwoods1, Defenderslideguitar and B 26354 like this

#790 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:09 PM

Scope scope   a  rescue  I should have left alone

it lanquished on craigs here for months

I call it the basket case    I thought i could learn how to paint an ota

I am happy to give it away as  a parts scope or practice painting scope

No box   an eyepiece  or two   plenty of scratches   there was that tray light  rusted bulb socket stuck inside 

pathetic scope scope available for neaf handoff  no charge not worth shipping

i'll try and take close up pics in the morning

Attached Thumbnails

• SCOPEFullSizeRender.jpg
  • Scope-Scopepic2FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 28 January 2020 - 01:52 PM.

• Kasmos and jcruse64 like this

#791 imgumby001

imgumby001

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:37 PM

I’m trying to message ya defender...:)

#792 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:59 AM

I will be providing some better  and close up pics   for this hand over scope

the pics above are deceiving

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 28 January 2020 - 09:00 AM.

#793 JoeVanGeaux

JoeVanGeaux

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SETX

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:08 AM

This one looks like a close relative of the Royal family, as I call it.  Royal Astro, that is!  The only thing puzzling to me from the images I enlarged is the way the tripod legs attached to the mount base.  They seem to attach to the inside of the mount inside of "wrapping" over it.  (Could be a home repair of fitted from another scope.  And the scope cradle has a slightly different profile (IMO).

Anyway, thanks for the rescue and may it find a good home!

-Joe.

• Thaeland likes this

#794 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:16 AM

That scope is definitely NOT Royal Astro.  It is a Towa.  The legs/tray appear on Tasco models of the same era.  I have them on a 66TE.  

• JoeVanGeaux, Garyth64 and Kasmos like this

#795 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:42 PM

Legs from a Tasco 14TE ...

Free, just cover shipping from Montreal Canada postal code: H3N2N7 

Attached Thumbnails

• Tasco 14TE.jpg

#796 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 08 February 2020 - 05:11 PM

I have an Edmund/Jaegers ‘L’- twin bore counterweight that is currently for sale in the classifieds but it’s free to any Classics folks who have either an Edmund or Jaegers 1” shaft GEM, or is in the process of restoring one and will use it. The I” bore holes are at right angles; the top bore goes clear thru the cw, the side bore goes to center bore. These counterweights are very hard to find and were used to mount an additional counterweight at a right angle to the dec axis, in line with OTA axis in order to balance longer optical tubes that are heavier at one end. Of course, it can also be used as a single counterweight on a 1” dec shaft. It comes with the original set screws, is textured and flat black in color, and isn’t rusted. Just send me your request via PM along with a picture of your Jaegers or Edmund mount. It’s yours for the cost of postage (USPS flat rate CONUS only).

Attached Thumbnails

• 6F398799-CDAE-4A5D-BEA5-23E983AC490C.jpeg

• mark77 likes this

#797 mark77

mark77

Viking 1

• Loc: PA

Posted 08 February 2020 - 05:25 PM

Hi Terra

I would like the counter weight.  I have an original Jaegers mount and a Jaegers 5 inch lens cell with original Jeagers tube still in the wooden crate that I am planning on building.  The mount has one weight but I know I am going to need more.

Thanks

Mark

#798 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 08 February 2020 - 05:51 PM

You needn’t say more Mark. It’s yours! I know you’ll use it. I’ll PM you and we’ll work out the details. waytogo.gif

#799 tikidollracer

tikidollracer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:33 PM

i have an older meade 8 inch Schmidt-Cassegrains telescope and tripod to give away.   great setup for someone starting out.    everything works, clean, has case and manual.  tripod alone is worth picking this up.   we are remodeling and no longer use it, and no-one we know wants it.    it either goes to a new home or the landfill.   please don't make me put it in the landfill.    located in south bay area, california.   thanks, 

-SM-

Attached Thumbnails

• meade2.jpg

• pbealo, photiost, John Rogers and 8 others like this

#800 JoeVanGeaux

JoeVanGeaux

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SETX

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:37 PM

PM sent to tikidollracer.  (Moderator: Please delete this post if its inappropriate, here.)

Regards,

Joe

Edited by JoeVanGeaux, 15 February 2020 - 09:37 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics