•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Free To A Good Home -The Giveaway Thread-

• Please log in to reply
863 replies to this topic

#851 ScoobyNarita

ScoobyNarita

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Narita, Japan

Posted 15 May 2020 - 08:45 PM

Chip W - regarding your cradle repair, I think (in my mind) you have a couple options for repair. I do not think a butt weld is a viable solution. Both of my suggested solutions involve installing a thin external strap made from aluminum formed to match the cradle outer diameter. You could attach this strap using multiple countersunk fasteners with the head installed toward the tube. This would be a relatively cheap solution as well. Alternatively, you could weld the periphery of the strap to the fractured cradle but this is the less preferred solution and would be problematic due to the risk of warpage and burn-through. I hope this helps you.

#852 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 16 May 2020 - 03:25 AM

Chip W - regarding your cradle repair, I think (in my mind) you have a couple options for repair. I do not think a butt weld is a viable solution. Both of my suggested solutions involve installing a thin external strap made from aluminum formed to match the cradle outer diameter. You could attach this strap using multiple countersunk fasteners with the head installed toward the tube. This would be a relatively cheap solution as well. Alternatively, you could weld the periphery of the strap to the fractured cradle but this is the less preferred solution and would be problematic due to the risk of warpage and burn-through. I hope this helps you.

Perhaps, in addition to using fasteners, you could bond the strap with JB Weld. I would assemble first and then take it apart and reassemble with a thin layer of JB Weld.

• jtsenghas likes this

#853 JoeVanGeaux

JoeVanGeaux

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SETX

Posted 16 May 2020 - 02:30 PM

Chip W,  Before reading the last two posts suggesting a repair (ScoobyNarita and Marc-Andre), I envisioned a "dog bone" strap inserted into the remaining "meaty" sections of the strap.  As mentioned, I wouldn't trust any butted joint.  I have three Taco 7TE scopes and have had made various repairs on two of them (I never had to do anything but admire only one of those scopes).  I suggest something that is close to a combination of the two previous suggestions.

What you may consider is:  Remove the broken bits as far as practical. Drill two holes (about 3/8" in diameter) along a common line on opposite sides of the break and about 3/8" (or more?) away from edges of the break.  Temporarily re-mount the broken ends to match (maybe using just a small bit of JB Weld at the outside edges of the broken parts?).  Consider mounting the two parts on a tube of similar diameter to the scope (or use the scope with a swath of felt to protect the tube?).

Remove from scope tube if that's what you used after aligning and fixing them (temporarily) together, then Dremel a slot between the two holes connecting them so as to form a dog-bone cutout shape, but one that has rounded ends (formed by the holes you already drilled).  (Note: Once you marked your lines, it may be okay if the parts break away since you now have your cut lines established.).  Next, on a small section of heavy aluminum bar, cut and shape (file, sandpaper, Dremel, etc.) a dog bone shape insert to match the one cut out in the strap. (You may need a round section of heavy pipe to beat it into submitting to the curvature of the original strap before-hand.) 

Re-assemble the two pieces on your pipe or tube to help orient the pieces, insert the dog bone link strap with a generous filling of JB Weld (the kind used for metal mending), do some visual aligning and allow to cure for longer than recommended time.  After cured, file and sand to a smooth finish, re-paint with you favorite semi-gloss black paint.  Finally, glue a section of fresh felt and you're done!

This may be over-kill for many but that scope looks too nice!

Good luck!
Joe

#854 marcyc

marcyc

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern VA, USA

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:48 PM

I sadly realize, two months after buying my Hy-Score 457 refractor, that I likely will never use it as I live in a heavily treed neighborhood and if I take a scope anywhere else to observe I will never choose a 50mm. So I have decided to part with it. And since I want it to go to someone who will really appreciate it, I would rather give it away to one of you here who might actually use it.

If you are interested in owning (no flipping!) this scope with mount, tripod, box and I believe all original accessories, PM me. It would have to be local pickup in or near Northern Virginia as I don't want to mess with (and don't have the supplies for) shipping. I would be willing to drop off at UPS or FedEx, though, if you want to arrange and pay for packing/shipping.

The scope does have a few issues, so feel free to ask questions. Box is intact but veneer is in rough shape. One deep scratch on the OTA. And the objective has one or two very, very tiny chips or flaws on the edge (almost can't see them). One or two missing setscrews. Otherwise, the set seems to be pretty complete and in good shape for being 60 or more years old.

I want this to go to someone who has really wanted one of these gems. Bonus points if you will be restoring it (and willing to share your journey on a thread here). This would be a fantastic project while you are stuck at home. I just don't have time or the room to store it.

Marcy

Hey all,

Going to try one more time to see if someone local to me is interested in this scope. When I posted this "free to a good home" ad initially, I got several responses from people who would need to have it shipped, but no one near me. I originally said I had a very decided preference for it to go to someone local as I hoped not to have to deal with shipping, but that has become even more important in the meantime since I have had several health issues, including a broken foot. As I am on crutches for the foreseeable future, there's absolutely no way for me to get it to a shipper now.

So, I am putting out another call to see if anyone in the Washington DC metro area would like this little gem to call their own. As no money would need to change hands, it would be easy to complete a proper socially distanced transfer.

If I don't get a response from someone who doesn't need it shipped now, I will wait until I am back on my feet before taking on the challenge of getting it to someone who lives farther afield.

Once again, please PM me if interested.

Thanks,

Marcy

Edited by marcyc, 24 May 2020 - 05:51 PM.

• Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#855 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 28 May 2020 - 09:05 AM

Chip,

Sorry I am late to the conversation    but I have been busy and in the thick of it here in South West Connecticut

are you still looking to repair that Tasco 7te2 ?

would you be able to use one from this    7te5  I have ?

I bought it from DMala's estate  along with the Tower 50mm  and the great Sans and Steiffe 60mm to help Al help his family     and I thought I might eventually  be able to eventually restore it,  but it is also according to Al     a good parts scope    

For the student loaner set I would be happy to donate it......not sure it you want me to mail just the part you need   or  perhaps you could use it all for parts   or restore one you have ..... if so let me know  and I can arrange to mail it or  get it to you   at no cost......

..and if you could benefit from having the whole kit in the box  I could arrange to drop it off to you off an exit off I-91 near you in Mass.... safely per the new safe protocols I worked out with Al      ...  you know    I leave it in my trunk for several days   I park near you but not that close.....   I open my trunk  walk away    you pick it up with gloves and put it in your trunk  wave good bye from 12 -15 feet away.......... you can leave it in your trunk or garage  for a few days    I have not touched it in months  and I have never taken it out of the box     but Al said it is all there...     just a thought     .., and of course there is no rush

It is still in my office at the Stamford courthouse which is still closed but I do have access for files etc

Be smart 

Be safe 

Be well

Barry

see    Al's ad below...

.https://www.cloudyni...1000mm-classic/

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 28 May 2020 - 09:38 AM.

• Peter B, JoeVanGeaux, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#856 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 29 May 2020 - 01:44 PM

pm sent     all good

#857 Tacosauce

Tacosauce

Explorer 1

• Loc: OC, CA

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:41 PM

Telrad basket case. Glass intact, base attached, dirty, rusty screws, not working, missing battery cover. I don't know anything about these, but it looks like the glass is vulnerable as designed, and could be used by someone with broken glass. There's also a base which could be used on a second scope for someone.

Let's try local pickup in Orange County, CA. 

#858 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 13 June 2020 - 09:26 PM

One small refractor trunion plate.

Mounting holes are 46mm apart, +/- 2mm

Total length 58mm with that +/- again (I gotta get some calipers!) (Metal ones...)

Width  38mm.

If anyone recognizes what scope this came from, or brand, etc.

I could use one of these... fingertap.gif

https://www.amazon.c...1e2e3baea335de0

[Comments about my lousy calipers are real. Any hint I could end up with one by whining about it here is...just... humor. Or tragic.

]IMG_6042.JPG IMG_6043.JPG

Edited by Littlegreenman, 13 June 2020 - 09:28 PM.

#859 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 14 June 2020 - 01:22 AM

Comments about my lousy calipers are real.

As far as calipers go, I've been using one of these for several years:

https://www.amazon.c...uct/B0019O6OCO/

Not nearly as expensive as the ones you wished for.  grin.gif

• Littlegreenman and Terra Nova like this

#860 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 16 June 2020 - 01:11 PM

CN-F2GH-S01.jpg CN-F2GH-S02.jpg

Free for the cost of shipping:  Orion 9x60 Finder (probably Towa), lots of coating scratches, but no clams, good performance & crosshairs;  Towa 6x24 "Jewel" Finder, dirty!  No crosshairs, but glass looks good;  University Optics 1.25 8-24mm Zoom Eyepiece, "Mercedes" maker's mark, good glass, w/ caps; and, finally, that green Vixen AZ mount with slo-mo cables.  I will give preference to a current Green Vixen scope owner.

As usual, no Flipping!  And, it'll probably take a while finding a box for the Vixen.

-----  STATUS  UPDATES  -----

UO Zoom Eyepiece:  Gone in 60 seconds!

ALL GONE -- that was faster than last time!!

Edited by Bomber Bob, 17 June 2020 - 11:40 AM.

• photiost, Terra Nova, Allanbarth1 and 1 other like this

#861 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:26 PM

If that Vixen Custom was the Vixen Custom-D with the counterweight, I'd be down there banging on your door! I used to have a mint green Custom-D and absaputootly luved it!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1D3B4E6F-A246-4616-9ABC-7778B9CC90E7.jpeg

• Bomber Bob and 65&Counting like this

#862 65&Counting

65&Counting

Explorer 1

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:32 PM

I could use the two finders if still around and I never flip :-)

I have a Vixen  70mm/900mm with rings and dovetail new that's been gathering dust (not really) - was the mount for something like this or is the scope too small?

I'd planned on using it as a guidescope but it's been superseded by a better one. Happy to pay all costs including labor shipping.

Thanks!

#863 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 76707

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:29 PM

If that Vixen Custom was the Vixen Custom-D with the counterweight, I'd be down there banging on your door! I used to have a mint green Custom-D and absaputootly luved it!

Are we shopping Terra?

• Bomber Bob likes this

#864 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:58 PM

Are we shopping Terra?

Nope. :blush:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics