•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Free To A Good Home -The Giveaway Thread-

• Please log in to reply
885 replies to this topic

#876 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Gemini

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 25 July 2020 - 11:32 PM

Good Stuff Terra! I’m not surprised it’s going so fast!
  • Terra Nova likes this

#877 Kuklamu2

Kuklamu2

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:17 AM

I just bought a Lafayette F-342 scope on EBay. I am a novice stargazer and was reading about my scope on CN. I was lucky to come across a thread from Badback who had a PDF on my scope. I requested a copy which he sent me. Thank you Badback for the PDF on my Lafayette for free. Your knowledge and kindness is much appreciated.
  • Vesper818, deepwoods1 and Marc-Andre like this

#878 Kuklamu2

Kuklamu2

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:41 AM

I just bought a Lafayette F-342 scope on EBay. I am a novice stargazer and was reading about my scope on CN. I was lucky to come across a thread from Badback who had a PDF on my scope. I requested a copy which he sent me. Thank you Badback for the PDF on my Lafayette for free. Your knowledge and kindness is much appreciated.
  • badback, Defenderslideguitar and Tacosauce like this

#879 mountman

mountman

Explorer 1

• Loc: Denver, Colorado, USA area

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:48 PM

OK.  I won't lie.

I screwed this one up.  blush.gif

This barlow came to me years ago with a few other vintage oculars (Ortho-Star's).  But it had fungus on the lens terrible bad.  In my well intentioned but overly zealous efforts to clean it, I stripped off the coatings.  Once they started to come, I simply went ahead and took them all.   Mostly...... 

The glass still refracts light, however.  tongue2.gif

There remains a bit of the coating left on the outside edges of the lens and you can still see the ghosts of the fungus patterns under the bright lights.'

But it works.

The spring loaded lens cell is adjustable along length of the draw tube for a range of magnification increases.

If there are any takers, I can ship this in the CONUS for < $5 I would guess.  You'll pay actual costs.

Maybe for parts?.......

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0951.JPG
  • IMG_0954.JPG

#880 mountman

mountman

Explorer 1

• Loc: Denver, Colorado, USA area

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:54 PM

Forgot to confirm.  1.25" barrel size on the barlow.

k

#881 fjs

fjs

Cosmos

• Loc: Olympic Peninsula, les États-Unis

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:44 PM

Edit: Found new home.

Retired truck driver no longer needs travel mount/tripod. Not very classic, but it served me well.

1 Vixen Porta II that has seen it's share of abuse. It's functional, but azimuth gearing has significant backlash. I'm sure it can be adjusted out, but it's very fiddly.

Comes with ADM clamp and orginal Vixen clamp.

Resized_20200730_172655_6922.jpg

Edited by fjs, 30 July 2020 - 08:19 PM.

• Chuck Hards likes this

#882 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 76707

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:00 PM

Awhile back I was the lucky recipient of a nice set of Unitron 142 tripod legs and spreader.

I'm no Unitron expert but think my 60's-70's 142 should have a wood tray.

I would like to pass the legs and spreader along to someone that needs it.

Actual shipping on you.

PM me

Russ 

• Bomber Bob and Kasmos like this

#883 Starsareus

Starsareus

Vostok 1

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:09 PM

Russell, will take these for my personal use

#884 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:15 PM

Russ

i have pics of what the wooden 142 tray should look like     and I am going to try and duplicate it for my 1958 Tasco 10te  

Attached Thumbnails

• Unitron142trayandchainIMG_7496 (1).jpg

• Vesper818, deepwoods1, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#885 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 76707

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:46 AM

The 142 legs and spreader have a new home.
  • Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#886 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted Yesterday, 03:03 PM

I’m going to have to start some serious herd-culling soon, so let’s start with this:  I have one of those Meade Jones-bird gizmoids, complete with equatorial mount and tripod. I have the counterweight as well, but the counterweight shaft is missing. I got it with an s&t pocket sky atlas for $20. I’m going to keep the atlas, but anyone willing to come pick the scope up can have it. 

as I clean my shop more than it currently is, I’ll take pix and post them, though these things are common enough that I’m sure you know what it looks like. It’s in decent condition. I even riddled with the ota a couple times to see if I could make it useful. The big problem with the jones birds is t the concept, it’s that ridiculous plastic focuser. If someone could make a new metal focuser that holds collimation with the rest of the ota, it might be a decent scope. I was going to do that, but won’t have time with all the other projects I have 

so, come get it!  

• Augustus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics