•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Free To A Good Home -The Giveaway Thread-

• Please log in to reply
1251 replies to this topic

#1076 mdowns

mdowns

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW,FL

Posted 18 June 2021 - 12:35 PM

I have the advanced astro master manual that I believe came with my cg11(its been awhile I cant recall for certain). Well used but still has a lot of life left.       Now spoken for

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0325.JPG
  • IMG_0326.JPG

• jim kuhns, Bomber Bob, Allanbarth1 and 1 other like this

#1077 mdowns

mdowns

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 18 June 2021 - 12:38 PM

I have a .965 lunar filter with a makers mark I dont recognize but was with all the other vixen stuff.I only have one half of its container(also marked with a vixen emblem).Like the other stuff free to those who can use them.  Now spoken for

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0321.JPG
  • IMG_0323.JPG

• jim kuhns, Katharine, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#1078 mdowns

mdowns

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 18 June 2021 - 12:49 PM

This last piece is the one most important to me.It's a piece of classic americana,a 1939 B&L 7x50,made in Rochester.The glasses are in fair-good condition cosmetically and good bit better,optically and mechanically. I can not find the case,probably in some of the other misplaced boxes of astro stuff.I use to have 25 or so american made binos as part of a collection and have now narrowed those that I'm keeping down to two,a 6x30 b&l and a 7x50,mark 32 anchor optical.These B&L  are very solid performers and of course, a great piece to display. Free to whomever wants,preferably to a collector of american optics,but I'm happy to share with anyone.Will probably need to charge shipping with these by the time I'm done packing.                       Now spoken for

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0330.JPG
  • IMG_0329.JPG

• jim kuhns, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 6 others like this

#1079 mdowns

mdowns

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 18 June 2021 - 12:53 PM

Kasmos was the first, by a second or two to ask for the vixen tub. That's now gone.

• Kasmos likes this

#1080 norvegicus

norvegicus

Messenger

• Loc: en route

Posted 18 June 2021 - 12:55 PM

I think Diamond Z is "Tanzutsu"?  A mediocre Japanese maker of the '70s.  Only a moon filter so not very demanding optically but also not a Vixen gem to complete a collection.

Nice binocular!  I have too many and might be giving some away here soon as well.

• mdowns likes this

#1081 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 18 June 2021 - 01:14 PM

Build your own pier. Here’s three heavy steel Edmund legs. They will fit a pipe from three to five inches in diameter. I had them on a 3” o.d. 1/4” wall aluminum pipe 3’ high and they worked great. Anyway, I got them for free so they are free to the next person to use them. I spray-painted them with satin black Rustoleum a few years ago but the pier sat on my deck (under cover) for several years so they could stand a re-coat.

FEET ONLY (includes mounting hardware- three bolts, three washers, three stainless wingnuts). Buyer pays shipping (which won’t be cheap). Shipping by USPS (CONUS ONLY!). I’m in Cincinnati so you can estimate from there. They will ship in a box approximately 6”x8”x22” (it’s what I got). The shipping weight will be around ten or twelve pounds.

PS- I cut my hand pretty bad two days ago while working on a home project (not telescope related) that required six stitches and so I might not get to packing and shipping for a week or so.

Attached Thumbnails

• 9F46C20C-258C-4732-ADDB-B8181BF13D16.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 18 June 2021 - 01:26 PM.

• jim kuhns, mdowns, Bomber Bob and 5 others like this

#1082 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 18 June 2021 - 02:22 PM

The legs will be going to Sean up north.

• jim kuhns, mdowns, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#1083 mdowns

mdowns

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 18 June 2021 - 03:46 PM

The  1939 7x50 B&L glasses are now spoken for.

• jim kuhns and Bomber Bob like this

#1084 semlin

semlin

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 June 2021 - 04:37 PM

Another item in that box was this 50 year old Bushnell monocular,6x44. I have several of these over the years and if I recall ,originally they came with a camera adapter. Very interesting piece with the focus ring around the objective A narrow but very sharp,bright fov. Large prism assembly. Comes with the original leather pouch.Significant ding along the outer edge of the beauty ring but performance is unaffected.

that is a bushnell televar.  i have two of them with slightly different magnifications and they have really nice optics.  they were sold as a camera lens, not as a monocular, which is why no eyecup or eye relief and the focus is at the objective since the eyepiece was intended to be inside an adapter in use. bushnell made a whole bunch of camera model specific sliding tube adapters for them, some of which are normal adapters and some were intended to screw onto filter threads of fixed lens cameras of the day.

they are not great camera lenses although they do offer a lot of magnification so there is a novelty factor.  if you wanted to take photos with them, they are compatible with the bushnell spacemaster slide tube camera adapter that is widely available on ebay.  the magnification lines will not be correct but the slide tube will work perfectly.

• mdowns and LU1AR like this

#1085 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 18 June 2021 - 08:29 PM

Parts pile has found a home.

• jim kuhns, mdowns and Terra Nova like this

#1086 mdowns

mdowns

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 19 June 2021 - 11:06 AM

The old lunar filter is now spoken for.

• jim kuhns, Katharine and Terra Nova like this

#1087 jkmccarthy

jkmccarthy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

Posted 20 June 2021 - 01:01 PM

Disclaimer up front that what I'm offering does *NOT* merit the "Classic" label !  But nevertheless maybe someone out there could make good use of this lightweight, light-duty, made-in-China equatorial mount head plus tripod canopy ... possibly as an interim mount or temporary test-bed for a small classic OTA or other grab-n-go application.

Size-wise, I was told it is comparable to a CG3.   It seems to move smoothly enough, but with a moderate amount of friction (and/or viscosity from thick grease internally), so the axes don't coast freely after given a push.  It has clamps and slow-motion gears (and short, 8-inch long flex cables -- not shown in the photos) on both axes without too much backlash, a 12mm (0.47 inch) diameter counterweight rod that's 10-inches long, and a single 2kg (4.4 lb.) counterweight.   At the scope end of the declination axis there are two small "ears" that stick out having tapped holes for what I believe are M6 bolts (two such bolts are included), with a center-to-center spacing of 60mm.

Since the time I picked up this mount locally, I've acquired several beefier EQ mounts, so it's time to give this one away for just the cost of shipping.   Don't feel obligated to accept the counterweight, if you don't need it and/or wish to minimize the shipping cost.  Minus the counterweight, the mount head itself weighs about 6.5 pounds.

Let me know by PM if you're interested.

Clear skies,

-- Jim

- - - - - -

The previous owner used this mount with a 6-inch f/5 Newtonian, and I've seen identical looking mounts supporting 4", 5", and 6" short reflectors for sale on eBay by sellers in China --- here's a photo off the web (from a BBC Sky At Night magazine article aimed at beginners ... but ignore "Polarscope" as there is none, nor is it possible to add one ... and this giveaway does not include the tripod legs ....):

Equatorial-mount-parts-26d2580.jpg

FWIW, there is also a clock drive motor kit available on eBay from China (although the BIN price is likely more than this EQ mount itself is worth) -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/264984423361   

Edited by jkmccarthy, 20 June 2021 - 01:32 PM.

• mdowns, Bomber Bob, LU1AR and 2 others like this

#1088 jkmccarthy

jkmccarthy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

Posted 20 June 2021 - 01:53 PM

The EQ mount head has been claimed.

• jim kuhns, mdowns and Bomber Bob like this

#1089 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 20 June 2021 - 09:38 PM

This is probably really niche, but I have an extra Dynamax 8 secondary holder and DEC setting circle I don't need if anyone wants them.

#1090 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Viking 1

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 28 June 2021 - 11:24 PM

Tasco 17TR to a budding astronomer or someone who knows such a person with a real interest. I'm getting too much gear for the room I have and this one just got upstaged by a better scope. Still works great and gives pretty good views, I had a lot of fun with it and the mount is pretty good. Uses .965 ep's still, could throw in a couple microscope ep's if needed. Local pick up Seattle area, shipping would be too much. 

pm me if interested.

I'm going to give this a week or so, if nobody claims it I'm going to put it up for sale locally. It's part of the deal I made with the warden to get my last telescope that this one had to go to make room. I'm eating up too much space in our small house.  

Edited by DouglasPaul, 29 June 2021 - 04:30 PM.

• pbealo, jim kuhns, mdowns and 1 other like this

#1091 mdowns

mdowns

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 29 June 2021 - 04:26 PM

The astromaster manual is now spoken for!
  • jim kuhns and Terra Nova like this

#1092 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 07 July 2021 - 12:05 PM

The Megastar and Dynamax stuff is still available.

I also have a couple other items. A Sears 40mm finderscope with no eyepiece, a Criterion 8-21mm zoom, an Edmund prism, and  all these lens caps, which I'd prefer to keep as a lot. As usual, all yours if you cover shipping. 

IMG_1197.JPEG

IMG_1198.JPEG

Not Classics, but I also have bases for a Sky-Watcher 6" Dob, Zhumell/Apertura/GSO 8" Dob and most of the base for an Orion XT10 Classic if anyone needs one.

• jim kuhns, mdowns, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#1093 badback

badback

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 07 July 2021 - 07:01 PM

Meade 10" LX6 mount, I think it has an encoder shaft in place of one of the DEC circles. Drive works. Free if you pay postage.

attachicon.gifIMG_9899.JPEG

Many thanks for the LX-6 base.

Actually I recognized it as an LX-5

model.which is the one I needed

a few electric parts for. Oh yeah!

• jim kuhns, Bomber Bob and Augustus like this

#1094 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Viking 1

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 08 July 2021 - 07:22 AM

Tasco 17TR to a budding astronomer or someone who knows such a person with a real interest. I'm getting too much gear for the room I have and this one just got upstaged by a better scope. Still works great and gives pretty good views, I had a lot of fun with it and the mount is pretty good. Uses .965 ep's still, could throw in a couple microscope ep's if needed. Local pick up Seattle area, shipping would be too much. 

pm me if interested.

I'm going to give this a week or so, if nobody claims it I'm going to put it up for sale locally. It's part of the deal I made with the warden to get my last telescope that this one had to go to make room. I'm eating up too much space in our small house.  

Since I can no longer edit this post I will quote it. The 17TR is headed up to my kids place. 

#1095 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 08 July 2021 - 09:51 AM

Prism and caps have found a home. Finder and eyepiece are pending

#1096 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 08 July 2021 - 08:21 PM

All of the above posted items except the Dob bases have found a home

• DouglasPaul likes this

#1097 LU1AR

LU1AR

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 July 2021 - 08:32 PM

This last piece is the one most important to me.It's a piece of classic americana,a 1939 B&L 7x50,made in Rochester.The glasses are in fair-good condition cosmetically and good bit better,optically and mechanically. I can not find the case,probably in some of the other misplaced boxes of astro stuff.I use to have 25 or so american made binos as part of a collection and have now narrowed those that I'm keeping down to two,a 6x30 b&l and a 7x50,mark 32 anchor optical.These B&L  are very solid performers and of course, a great piece to display. Free to whomever wants,preferably to a collector of american optics,but I'm happy to share with anyone.Will probably need to charge shipping with these by the time I'm done packing.                       Now spoken for

This Baushc & Lomb binocular model; was used by the US Navy for their ships, in World War II.
Faced with the Peral Harbor emergency, the government asked citizens to donate their Baushc & Lomb and Carl Zeiss binoculars. After the war, they were turned over to their owners, recalibrated and with a serial number added.
Perhaps your binocular, is part of the history of your great country.
Regards.
Edgardo

• jim kuhns, Terra Nova and Augustus like this

#1098 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 09 July 2021 - 09:40 PM

This Powerstar mount works, but the RA lock knob broke off. If you want just the fork arms or drive base, let me know.

IMG_1240.JPEG

Edited by Augustus, 09 July 2021 - 09:41 PM.

• jim kuhns, mdowns, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#1099 mfoose

mfoose

Viking 1

• Loc: Concord, NH

Posted 12 July 2021 - 11:52 AM

6x30 Tani straight thru finder and bracket, without the lens objective which shattered. Finder EP has cross hairs. Came off a Meade 826. It is dirty, but no major dents. Free, just pay shipping. PM me.

Attached Thumbnails

• image_67180033-min.JPG
  • image_67155457-min.JPG

Edited by mfoose, 12 July 2021 - 03:34 PM.

• jim kuhns, mdowns, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#1100 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 12 July 2021 - 05:27 PM

Powerstar fork has found a home.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics