•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Free To A Good Home -The Giveaway Thread-

• Please log in to reply
1229 replies to this topic

#1126 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 16 July 2021 - 10:50 AM

No Zane, I was talking about myself.  I got a pair of setting circles that a guy was giving away.  They were pretty beat up.  I was thinking if I cleaned them up, and made them like new, would it then be ethical for me to sell them.  So, in a similar way, if someone gives me a unfinished mirror, and I finish it and get it aluminized,  should I be able to sell it?  (and I'm not actually asking you.)

Sorry for making that assumption. I think that finishing a mirror or restoring a part in its entirety would make it reasonable enough to sell.

#1127 kansas skies

kansas skies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: The middle of nowhere, USA

Posted 16 July 2021 - 10:52 AM

No Zane, I was talking about myself.  I got a pair of setting circles that a guy was giving away.  They were pretty beat up.  I was thinking if I cleaned them up, and made them like new, would it then be ethical for me to sell them.  So, in a similar way, if someone gives me a unfinished mirror, and I finish it and get it aluminized,  should I be able to sell it?  (and I'm not actually asking you.)

Personally, I see this thread as a means for a person to eliminate clutter, while allowing others to profit from that member's generosity. I think the rules were created to prevent people from grabbing items solely with the intent to resell. Then again, if an item is offered that helps to complete a project, even if the receiver has the intention of moving that item along (as a seller), what would be the problem in that? Especially if the receiver is up-front with their intentions, and uses those profits to further enhance their own, or others, interests in this great hobby.

Bill

• Terra Nova, wcw, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#1128 norvegicus

norvegicus

Ranger 4

• Loc: en route

Posted 16 July 2021 - 11:22 AM

I've been the appreciative recipient of a few things here.  I didn't post to the thread to accept them and wouldn't expect anyone else to; the posted rules are pretty clear.  I know at least once I was successful because I was lucky enough to send the first PM.

I personally would never sell anything I received for free here and in fact I've already given some of it away, but I agree it would not be a breach of etiquette to do so, as long as the intent was not to just flip it.

I'll be posting a few things here soon I think, as my astronomy focus is changing and I'll have some extraneous hardware (not including Terra's pier legs, which I am anxious to get into service...).

Thanks to all who have given away equipment and provide such great advice and help, this culture is what keeps me coming back to CN.

-Sean

Edited by norvegicus, 16 July 2021 - 11:42 AM.

• mdowns, Terra Nova, wcw and 8 others like this

#1129 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 28 July 2021 - 10:47 PM

Anyone looking to replace the bulb from the old Japanese eyepiece tray lights with a RED one? Bulb is labeled NORELCO 222 HONG KONG A1I. I have 5 that I can offer up for shipping costs in bubble envelope. 

Attached Thumbnails

• RedBulb2.jpg
  • RedBulb1.jpg

• jim kuhns, mdowns, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#1130 godelescher

godelescher

Messenger

Posted 29 July 2021 - 03:06 PM

I have the wood legs of a short Takahashi tripod that I don't need. The hardware was used to build a new tripod. If anyone wants the wood parts, they're in decent condition.

Attached Thumbnails

• rsz_img_20210729_160349595.jpg

• jim kuhns, mdowns and Bomber Bob like this

#1131 godelescher

godelescher

Messenger

Posted 29 July 2021 - 03:42 PM

Tripod legs are now spoken for.

• jim kuhns, Bomber Bob and Chirp1 like this

#1132 norvegicus

norvegicus

Ranger 4

Posted 01 August 2021 - 04:40 PM

I have two Jason 313s that I bought on SGW that I am no longer using and would like to pass along.

The first: my first "real" telescope purchased as an adult.  It was shipped loose in a huge box without padding.  Rather than even collapse the tripod legs, much less remove them from the mount, and open the clamshell to dismount the OTA so it would fit in a smaller box, the brain trust at SGW unscrewed the objective cell and tossed it loose in the box with a few other smaller pieces and left everything else attached.  The dew shield has a dent but otherwise the objective seems fine and the views through this scope are great, but the threads on the OTA tube are stripped so it never tightens up all the way and the cell is prone to falling off if knocked.  I completely dismantled the mount and cleaned and relubed it and it works really well now.  I stripped and refinished the tripod legs, which had been painted a horrible orange color.  I stripped the paint off the tripod leg and accessory tray hardware and powder coated it black.  I replaced the tripod leg screws with brass ones (the originals were badly rusted) and the accessory tray screws with new stainless steel.  The light assembly on the accessory tray was fused into a single lump of rust and was discarded.  It comes with the original star diagonal, erecting prism, the Kellner 21mm eyepiece that I got with it, a Huygens 9mm I bought on eBay, a like new Celestron (Vixen) 18mm Kellner, a brand new Celestron (Vixen) 2X Barlow, a moon filter, a cheap adapter to use 1.25" eyepieces, and the solar projection screen and bracket that were given to me by Bomber Bob. 

I gave away the finder scope eyepiece to a friend that needed one.  This is the only thing missing that keeps it from being instantly fully usable.

I'll have to find or make a box for it.   Yours for the cost of shipping.

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

Edited by norvegicus, 01 August 2021 - 07:03 PM.

• jim kuhns, mdowns, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#1133 norvegicus

norvegicus

Ranger 4

Posted 01 August 2021 - 04:49 PM

I bought a second Jason 313 on SGW for a project that I've now abandoned.  It is in its original cardboard box.  The jerks at SGW sloppily taped up the original box and slapped a shipping label on it and shipped it like that and it got wet and the box is falling apart, which broke my heart.  The scope seems fine and the kit is fairly complete.  There are a couple empty spots in the styrofoam inserts but I don't know what they are for.  The eyepieces are a Kellner 21, an H12 and an SR4.  Everything is in pretty good condition.  I have not used this scope at all so can't comment on the view quality or functionality.

Yours for the cost of shipping.  I will make a shipping box for it.

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

Edited by norvegicus, 01 August 2021 - 07:00 PM.

• 4Texans, jim kuhns, godelescher and 6 others like this

#1134 norvegicus

norvegicus

Ranger 4

Posted 04 August 2021 - 12:07 PM

The second, boxed Jason 313 is going to the Northern Mariana Islands.  I need to make a box...

Edited by norvegicus, 04 August 2021 - 12:08 PM.

• jim kuhns, mdowns, badback and 3 others like this

#1135 norvegicus

norvegicus

Ranger 4

Posted 04 August 2021 - 04:50 PM

First Jason 313 is spoken for, going to Randy in SC.  I need make another box...

• jim kuhns, mdowns, badback and 3 others like this

#1136 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Viking 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:32 PM

I went through my collection of old Sky and Telescope issues and found four that I'd like to give away. Please note that each of these are partial issues. At some stage in their life, someone went through and clipped out whole pages.

Along with the front and back covers of each issue, here are the pages that remain:

May 1954:

• 215-218.
  • 221-236.
  • 243-246.

January 1955:

• 87-102.
  • 109-110.
  • 117-126.

May 1955:

• 263-280.
  • 285-288.
  • 293-310.

August 1956:

• 435-452.
  • 457-458.
  • 465-474.

If you want to page through what remains of these issues and/or want to clip out the ample number of ads that are in these issues, let me know via PM. First one to send me his/her name and mailing address gets them. I was moving toward simply throwing these into the recycling bin, but I ultimately didn't have the heart before posting here. I'm happy to pop them in the mail and send them to someone.

If interested, a small contribution to postage cost would be appreciated, but it's not mandatory.

Attached Thumbnails

• S&Ts 1.jpg
  • S&Ts 2.jpg

• John Rogers, mdowns, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#1137 norvegicus

norvegicus

Ranger 4

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:09 PM

The first Jason 313 has become available again.  I made a shipping box for it today.   It’s 39” x 12” x 10” and weighs 23 lbs if anyone wants to calculate shipping costs. Ships from Michigan.

#1138 gazpachosoup

gazpachosoup

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 August 2021 - 06:42 AM

The first Jason 313 has become available again. I made a shipping box for it today. It’s 39” x 12” x 10” and weighs 23 lbs if anyone wants to calculate shipping costs. Ships from Michigan.

As I read the original post this one comes with the solar projector, correct?

I’m in Canada and was wondering where in Michigan you’re located. Considering taking a vacation to drive down and get it. I’m near Toronto.

#1139 norvegicus

norvegicus

Ranger 4

Posted 06 August 2021 - 06:59 AM

As I read the original post this one comes with the solar projector, correct?

I’m in Canada and was wondering where in Michigan you’re located. Considering taking a vacation to drive down and get it. I’m near Toronto.

It does.  Bomber Bob gave me the solar screen and bracket.  There is one person possibly ahead of you, I'm awaiting his approval of the shipping cost.

I am in Marquette, in the Upper Peninsula, about a 10 hour drive from Toronto.

EDIT:  it is available.  I don't mind holding it for pickup if you want to drive that far.  Alternatively I could ship it somewhere in the US closer to you.

Edited by norvegicus, 06 August 2021 - 08:19 AM.

#1140 mdowns

mdowns

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW,FL

Posted 06 August 2021 - 09:43 AM

I have found a few more items that might have interest to some.Let me say that I wont be shipping anything within the next two weeks.Here's what I found. All free to whom wants them.Only shipping to the CONUS.

1 THIS BOOK IS NOW SPOKEN FOR 1903 edition of Astronomy with an Opera Glass,a timeless classic in fair condition

2 TIPS NOW SPOKEN FOR! Several replacement tips for the older edmund spanner wrenches,still in their original packaging though torn.I cant find that spanner(I know it's in a box of astro stuff somewhere) but if you've worked on binos you know how handy of a tool that was.

3 THESE BINOS ARE NOW SPOKEN FOR Yoshida + C0,Tokyo 7x50  bino(I suspect late 50s-early 60s) with Individual eye focus.No case and some mold,not near enough to spoil the view of these.Very nearly sharp edge to edge.Solid mechanics and original strap.Nice to use or display

4 Classic Sears wide angle 7x35mm binos,Single piece frame design in excellent working order plus case.Cosmetics are around a 7/8(out of ten).The spots seen on the body in the pic clean off.

bino pics in following post

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0333.JPG
  • IMG_0331.JPG

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and norvegicus like this

#1141 mdowns

mdowns

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 06 August 2021 - 09:46 AM

here's the binos

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0339.JPG
  • IMG_0338.JPG

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob, LU1AR and 1 other like this

#1142 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Viking 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 06 August 2021 - 11:28 AM

I went through my collection of old Sky and Telescope issues and found four that I'd like to give away...

Magazines are spoken for.

• mdowns likes this

#1143 mdowns

mdowns

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 06 August 2021 - 12:38 PM

The Edmund spanner tips are now spoken for as are the Yoshida binoculars!

#1144 mdowns

mdowns

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 06 August 2021 - 01:16 PM

Astronomy with Opera Glasses is now spoken for.

• Terra Nova likes this

#1145 DIYDarren

DIYDarren

Vostok 1

Posted 07 August 2021 - 08:53 PM

Hi Everyone,

First post in the giveaway thread, been lurking around the classics here for a bit.

I have what I believe is a Tasco 3TE-5 that came with a telescope lot that I purchased. 3" reflector with a rudimentary .965 focuser. Towa made. Obviously been around the block. Primary looks to be in pretty good shape, probably usable, with I believe one small chip at the very outside edge. I haven't taken it apart, this is just from looking down into it. Also has a finderscope and bracket.

Just seeing if anyone wants it-  free you pay shipping. Also willing to ship just the mirror cell assembly if you want that.

20210807 194435
20210807 194353

Thanks for looking! PM if interested to discuss in more detail.

• jim kuhns, mdowns, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#1146 norvegicus

norvegicus

Ranger 4

Posted 08 August 2021 - 07:33 AM

I have two Jason 313s that I bought on SGW that I am no longer using and would like to pass along.

The first: my first "real" telescope purchased as an adult.  It was shipped loose in a huge box without padding.  Rather than even collapse the tripod legs, much less remove them from the mount, and open the clamshell to dismount the OTA so it would fit in a smaller box, the brain trust at SGW unscrewed the objective cell and tossed it loose in the box with a few other smaller pieces and left everything else attached.  The dew shield has a dent but otherwise the objective seems fine and the views through this scope are great, but the threads on the OTA tube are stripped so it never tightens up all the way and the cell is prone to falling off if knocked.  I completely dismantled the mount and cleaned and relubed it and it works really well now.  I stripped and refinished the tripod legs, which had been painted a horrible orange color.  I stripped the paint off the tripod leg and accessory tray hardware and powder coated it black.  I replaced the tripod leg screws with brass ones (the originals were badly rusted) and the accessory tray screws with new stainless steel.  The light assembly on the accessory tray was fused into a single lump of rust and was discarded.  It comes with the original star diagonal, erecting prism, the Kellner 21mm eyepiece that I got with it, a Huygens 9mm I bought on eBay, a like new Celestron (Vixen) 18mm Kellner, a brand new Celestron (Vixen) 2X Barlow, a moon filter, a cheap adapter to use 1.25" eyepieces, and the solar projection screen and bracket that were given to me by Bomber Bob. 

I gave away the finder scope eyepiece to a friend that needed one.  This is the only thing missing that keeps it from being instantly fully usable.

I'll have to find or make a box for it.   Yours for the cost of shipping.

attachicon.gifIMG_1448.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1450.jpg

This is still available.  The box is 39” x 12” x 10” and weighs 23 lbs.

Edited by norvegicus, 08 August 2021 - 09:25 PM.

• jim kuhns likes this

#1147 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 08 August 2021 - 05:45 PM

I have a "compromised" Edmund 28mm RKE that I will ship in a small flat rate box for $8.45.

When I met a seller to buy an Astroscan he pulled out a small box and basically said that he also found an EP after we talked and would throw it in the sale for which I thanked him.  Later when I checked it out I was excited to see the marking "28mm".  That was short  lived.  The 1st lens element was inside the end by about a 1/2" and slightly tilted.  Evidently it was taken apart for cleaning and when the first element was returned to the barrel, it got stuck.  The element spacer and the 2nd lens element are missing, so the EP is incomplete.  Not fearing any loss, I used a plastic rod and hammer and tapped on the lens and released it.  No damage resulted on my part.  I put the lens in the barrel to the seat and have it secured with a piece of paper towel.  Perhaps someone has one in need of a clean barrel, or one lens element.

DSC04284.JPG

Edited by Marc-Andre, 08 August 2021 - 05:47 PM.

• jim kuhns, LU1AR and norvegicus like this

#1148 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 08 August 2021 - 06:07 PM

Marc,  I also have an incomplete 28mm RKE that I would send to you if it has the complimentary parts.  You could then have the eyepiece you expected.  I can check later today.

• mdowns likes this

#1149 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 08 August 2021 - 06:13 PM

Marc,  I also have an incomplete 28mm RKE that I would send to you if it has the complimentary parts.  You could then have the eyepiece you expected.  I can check later today.

Thank-you, but I have two others.  I thought I'd pass this on to another.

#1150 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 08 August 2021 - 08:38 PM

Just as well.  I have an empty shell with no glass, it used to have at least one lens, not now.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics