I finally (almost) finished building my pier using the Edmund legs that Terra gave me through this thread.
I sandblasted and repainted the legs. I discovered that one of them had been broken and welded in the past. It is strong and straight.
The column is 3.5" OD schedule 40 aluminum pipe.
The mount adapter is from eBay. It is epoxied to a 3.5" ID set screw aluminum shaft collar. I tried bolting it together but all the tolerances were too tight for my skills and tools and I had to buy another collar. I considered TIG welding it but I am a beginner welder and would probably ruin the adapter, which was the most expensive part.
I can remove or attach the mount/adapter assembly off the pier in a few seconds using the set screw.
The top of the adapter is 37.5" off the ground. The leg diameter is about 38".
The paint is Rustoleum Matte Hammered Black. I also tried two silver and grey colors and they just looked like bare metal. I like this color and finish, it's very Vixen-like, but it's not very durable; the legs already have chips down to the primer. It's been baking in my boiler room at 80-90° F for a few months, so it's fully cured.
The last thing to do is figure out an azimuth pin. I'm going to try square nuts on a bolt first, but I'm worried they will be too big (the hole in the adapter for the pin is M8 and the nuts will be 13mm). If so I'll try grinding an M8 bolt flat on two sides, but I'm worried that will be too small for the mount's adjustment bolts to reach.
My total cost was about $170 for materials. I won't count the tools I bought.
It seems very solid so far, but I haven't tried it with a scope yet.
Edited by norvegicus, 05 January 2022 - 05:29 PM.