•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Do I need a Tak Mewlon 210? Yes!

• Please log in to reply
540 replies to this topic

#26 pogobbler

pogobbler

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Indiana, USA

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:33 AM

Don't be silly, you don't need a Mewlon 210... you need a Mewlon 250!

• psandelle likes this

#27 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:41 AM

That you're even asking about it means you already know you need it.

#28 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:32 AM

Beautiful pics, Alvin, especially the lunar image! :waytogo:

#29 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:33 AM

Yeah, I thought about that, but it's just a wee bit outside my price range.

#30 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:33 AM

That you're even asking about it means you already know you need it.

:ubetcha:

#31 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:06 PM

I had a 180 and moved up to a 210.  It is a great scope that I have no plans on getting rid of.  It's really one of those "keep it a long time" scopes in my opinion.  Now if I was told that I absolutely had to get rid of that scope or my C8HD (or worse yet my C11HD), I would very possibly keep the C8HD because it is smaller and lighter, a little more versatile and wouldn't bring me as much money as the Mewlon.  The fact that I have a cat named Mewlon has nothing to do with it of course (I go the cat long before I new what a Mewlon scope was and she already had the name when I adopted her).  Here what I did for cooling.  A lot of work but it takes care of cooling.  There at least used to be something for the 250's that added fans to them.

TEMPest_Mewlon_180_t.JPG

• Scott in NC and Balok like this

#32 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:17 PM

Nice, Ed!  If I got a Mewlon I might add a FT to it one day as well.  Nice cat name, BTW. :waytogo:

#33 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:37 PM

I'm thinking of a 210 myself to compliment my TSA120. Interesting to hear that a C8 HD is comparable? I'm still not convinced it will be enough of a jump over the 120mm but it's as large as I can mount on the Nova Hitch.

#34 Lola Bruce

Lola Bruce

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:52 PM

I had a minty new C11 and bought the Mewlon 250 for a great price expecting not much difference. Well the C11 now belongs to a good friend and the Mewlon is a keeper. Mine has the corrector so it is also a F10 scope. The contrast and refactor like pin point stars of the Mewlon surprised me. Fred at Land, Sea and Sky instructed me on a simple method of daytime columnation  that works. Saturn is quite impressive with the Mewlon.

Bruce

#35 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:57 AM

Also to say something about its performance on planets. It gave me the best view I have seen of Jupiter. It was an immediate WOW and felt absolutely contented about my choice of telescope. I have once looked at Jupiter through a C11 and I didn't remember the WOW factor.

Jupiter is one of my least favorite planets. Never really got all that in to it. Until I saw it in my 210 with my BV's. In short... Amazing! Now I actually take time to spend with Jupiter instead of thinking about when Saturn comes back or looking at Mars, Neptune, or Uranus.

#36 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:58 AM

Is there any way to remove the straight through finder that comes with the M210 and replace it with a RACI 9x50, say a SV model?  This has been a big reason why I have very little interest in this scope as it seems the finder bracket is welded onto the OTA with no way to remove it and replace the finder.  I can't stand using a straight-through finder on an altaz mount.

The only way to do it is either to add rings to it and mount a finder on a dovetail on the rings or (better in my view) get the right angle polar scope adapter from Markus at Telescope Express and fit it on there. This is the route I will be going when I get around to it.

#37 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:00 AM

Actually I was facing this dilemma. Daniel M. from WHCT was kind enough to let me view through his 250. I actually didn't find it all that much better than the 210 for it's step up in price/weight/size.
  • bilgebay likes this

#38 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:02 AM

What about consideration of temperatures, climate, observing location and deltas. Does this influence the outcome folks?

#39 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Skylab

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:53 AM

Is there any way to remove the straight through finder that comes with the M210 and replace it with a RACI 9x50, say a SV model?  This has been a big reason why I have very little interest in this scope as it seems the finder bracket is welded onto the OTA with no way to remove it and replace the finder.  I can't stand using a straight-through finder on an altaz mount.

The only way to do it is either to add rings to it and mount a finder on a dovetail on the rings or (better in my view) get the right angle polar scope adapter from Markus at Telescope Express and fit it on there. This is the route I will be going when I get around to it.

Does this adapter from APM give correct image stars like you would see on a star atlas or is the field reversed like some polar scopes?  

Bill

#40 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:37 AM

Well...after a great deal of consideration, I've decided that I'm going to have to pass on buying a Mewlon right now.  I still may get one someday, but in order to add a new scope into the fold, I'd really need to sell something else.  And I can't think of any scope that I currently own that I'd want to get rid of.  I really don't want to become one of those guys who continually sells off scopes that he really likes in the hopes that he'll find something better, only to find that he preferred what he initially had.  I did that once and don't want to make the same mistake again.  In a world of unlimited money and time, I'd add the Mewlon to the scopes that I already own, but that's not really a sensible approach. 

I really want to thank everyone who helped me through the decision-making process.  Seriously...it really helped. :ubetcha:

• payner likes this

#41 Alvin See

Alvin See

Viking 1

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:56 AM

Stood firm despite all the poisonings. Scott, you have great immune system :)

#42 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:02 AM

It's been difficult standing firm, though.

What kept me strong was reviewing my current scope lineup and trying to decide which scope I'd want less than the Mewlon 210:

SV80S LOMO, SV80L LOMO, SV90TBV fluorite, FS-102, FS-128, LX90 8" SCT, XT12i dob.

Right now I can't bring myself to sell any of them. :(

#43 TheFacelessMen

TheFacelessMen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra, ACT

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:58 PM

It's been difficult standing firm, though.

What kept me strong was reviewing my current scope lineup and trying to decide which scope I'd want less than the Mewlon 210:

SV80S LOMO, SV80L LOMO, SV90TBV fluorite, FS-102, FS-128, LX90 8" SCT, XT12i dob.

Right now I can't bring myself to sell any of them. :(

having owned a LX90 8"SCT myself .....one of the older US made versions which was a nice scope........ I would have definitely swapped that out for the Mewlon 210

• bilgebay likes this

#44 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:27 PM

That would be reasonable, but my LX90 8" SCT (of 2002 vintage, when they were still assembled in Irvine, CA) has a 17% shorter focal length than the Mewlon 210, which translates to a slightly wider max TFOV.  Plus it also has an alt-az go-to mount which is really convenient to use. A scope with that long a FL really needs a tracking mount in order to be used optimally IMO.  The only other non-manual mount that I have is a CG5-ASGT, and I don't know if that's robust enough for the Mewlon 210.  

#45 Steve D.

Steve D.

Apollo

• Loc: Woodstock, GA

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:34 PM

I would have probably made the same choice unless it was the Mewlon 250.   By the way, have you seen the one just posted in the classifieds.....just kidding. :lol:

#46 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:37 PM

Alas, I can't afford (or perhaps more accurately, can't justify spending what one would cost) a Mewlon 250.  I guess I could have a talk with my son, who's currently in 7th grade: "You didn't really want to go to college 5 years from now, did you?" :lol:

• Anthony236J likes this

#47 TheFacelessMen

TheFacelessMen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra, ACT

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:44 PM

That would be reasonable, but my LX90 8" SCT (of 2002 vintage, when they were still assembled in Irvine, CA) has a 17% shorter focal length than the Mewlon 210, which translates to a slightly wider max TFOV.  Plus it also has an alt-az go-to mount which is really convenient to use. A scope with that long a FL really needs a tracking mount in order to be used optimally IMO.  The only other non-manual mount that I have is a CG5-ASGT, and I don't know if that's robust enough for the Mewlon 210.  

Mewlon's have never been wide field scopes.  For wide fields you already have a fantastic line up with your Dob and refractors.

So your "weak point" in your visual lineup is the LX90 and the Mewlon will provide much nicer views.

In terms of mount a Mewlon 210 is not overly large or heavy,  It will handle extremely well on and small push-to Alt/Az like a Half Hitch FTX, TREX or DM6

For GOTO Alt/Az a number of options are becoming available from Losmandy, IOPTRON or using the Avalon Alt/Az goto kit to upgrade mounts they are compatible with.

I guess though it comes down to how you like to use your scope but for me I would rather have Awesome views with a little bit of inconvenience of push to rather than have automated OK views.

Edited by TheFacelessMen, 19 September 2015 - 07:59 PM.

#48 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:03 PM

Good points.  :thanx:

#49 Alvin See

Alvin See

Viking 1

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:27 AM

The Mewlon 210 will do well for most DSOs. It will begin to be insufficient only for large and faint DSOs like the Veil. You can always add the 0.8x reducer, but I didn't find it necessary.
On mounting, I was assured by Tom at Discmount that the Mewlon 210 rides well on the DM4.

#50 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:47 AM

Scott... I didn't say a word... Everyone else told you how superior the Mewlon is to the LX90. ;) :whistle:

That said and in answer to your mount question but not saying anything about how much more you will enjoy the Mewlon over the LX90, it will work equally well on your DM6 (how I use mine) or on your CG5. 

I will say this. You could get it, try it, then flip it if you don't like it. You and I both know someone who would buy it. And at that price it would go quick... Not naming any names by the way. ;)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics