•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Prism - new software

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Bob D

Bob D

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas, USA

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:41 PM

I just saw an add in Sky & Telescope for new software called Prism.  It is supposed to be released on Oct. 16 with a 60-day free trial.  The web site is:  http://prism-america.com/

The "Pro" version is supposed to do just about everything related to astrophotography in one program: planetarium, scope/mount control, camera control, guiding, filter-wheel control, focuser control, plate solving, image processing, etc., etc.

They also say that it "won't be expensive" or require annual license fees for bug fixes/minor upgrades.

It is Windows-only for now.  :(

OK -- which one of you guys wrote this program?   :grin:

Edited by Bob D, 19 September 2015 - 04:47 PM.

#2 Goofi

Goofi

Cosmos

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: Coastal Southern California

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:14 PM

$599 for the Pro version seems pretty steep to me ... 

#3 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:21 PM

The "PRO" is only $599. Maybe I should buy 2.   Maybe not.

Grey

#4 Bob D

Bob D

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas, USA

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:53 PM

On first glance I didn't see the price quotes!  So, the Pro version up-front cost will be comparable to the high-end of Maxim DL or the Sky X plus Camera add-on.  It is advertised to include more functionality than either of these "veterans," but will obviously have a lot of "convincing to do" on many fronts.  It might need a 6-month free trial rather than 60 days to generate much early positive feedback!  Of course, the "lighter" versions may help to build momentum if their features are well implemented.  Anyway, I find it interesting to see someone bring out such a comprehensive package right out of the gate rather than starting with something basic, like a planetarium or planner, and then add to it over the course of a few years.

#5 xiando

xiando

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:15 PM

Time will tell. Hard to say until there's product to evaluate. Thanks for the heads up.

#6 CHAPSKINS

CHAPSKINS

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 September 2015 - 02:21 AM

Oh great, yet ANOTHER Windows - eew - based application...sheesh...

#7 xiando

xiando

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 20 September 2015 - 07:02 AM

No surprise. Most of the technologies and advances you use on alt OSes is a direct result of Windows programming.

In fact, neither APple nor linux would exist today were it not for the infrastructure that the "wintel" model has produced. Linux because it has no native hardware platform, Apple because it's insular practices led to a collapse in its in house PC hardware design.

Edited by xiando, 20 September 2015 - 07:02 AM.

• core likes this

#8 Goofi

Goofi

Cosmos

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: Coastal Southern California

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:28 AM

Okay - I'm not going to get sucked into the OS debate, I don't feel like it and it isn't really part of the OP's thrust here.

The price for the "Pro" version is a problem for me; I'm guessing the higher end version will be even steeper.  Right now, I'm using the following software to image:

Cartes du Ciel  (Free)

PhD2 (Free)

EQMOD (Free)

SGP w/ Frame & Mosaic add-on  (~$125)

AstroTortilla (Free)

PI (~$250)

So I have all the functionality already, for 1/3 less money. I'm not sure what upgrading will really get me, other than all the software in one app (I'm not sure that's a selling point or not with me) ... let alone why I should pay a premium for the functionality.

I do agree with the comment about a 6 month trial in order to see its worth - that's a major issue I have with the software programs ... trials aren't long enough to really see if they're worth it.  If this were priced at $300 .. maybe; if there was a discount for switching ;) , probably. But this price-point seems based on other high-end software, not what's out there and people are using.

• sparkyht, chboss, rflinn68 and 5 others like this

#9 Iver

Iver

Mariner 2

• Loc: Monterey County,Ca.

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:52 PM

Prism has been around for many years I think this is just the latest version.

BTW: I use AstroArt and it has been doing for years now everything the new version of Prism says it does, at a much better price.

Edited by Iver, 20 September 2015 - 01:02 PM.

#10 CHAPSKINS

CHAPSKINS

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:56 PM

No surprise. Most of the technologies and advances you use on alt OSes is a direct result of Windows programming.

In fact, neither APple nor linux would exist today were it not for the infrastructure that the "wintel" model has produced. Linux because it has no native hardware platform, Apple because it's insular practices led to a collapse in its in house PC hardware design.

I couldn't give a hoot about OS's; I've got 8.1 on my Mac Mini. All I was implying was that it would be good to have another full fledged Mac application. Yeah there's planitarium software out there on the Mac, unfortunately there is only one company that has full control of focusers, cameras, guiders etc all in one application. It would good to have some alternatives to the one application - The Sky X.

Edited by CHAPSKINS, 20 September 2015 - 01:58 PM.

#11 GJJim

GJJim

Skylab

• Loc: más y menos

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:39 AM

One of the great unsolved mysteries of the universe: People spend $5K-$25K for their imaging hardware, then complain about a $600 program to animate it?

• Tonk, Bob Denny, Ken Sturrock and 7 others like this

#12 starlight5

starlight5

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:05 PM

I'm looking forward to the release after AIC.  When you consider the costs of Maxim, Pinpoint, what? $700?  and  there have been the bugs.  Tsx with cao...........$500-600 and is very buggy.  If Prism is a one size fits all solution, then I would welcome it to the field.  Competition helps get things done and makes the customer the winner in the end.  As Jim points out, you have a lot of money invested in hardware, so why cut corners? 

I don't want this to turn into a bashing session, but we all know of problems and shortcomings that exist with the freeware as well as the costly stuff.  Personally, I hate the trend of subscription fees for various software products, including the so called free Windows 10 that is on the scene.  I'll bet there will be a subscription hook at the end of that bait line.  Prism is promising no maintenance fees.  We shall see.  If freeware or the mentioned products work for you, that's great.  I just don't see the harm in having more choices.

Prism probably won't work for me since I'm maxed out on software, but I do want to at least try the trial version for 60 days.

• Hobby Astronomer likes this

#13 AstroEthan

AstroEthan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: San Antonio area, TX, U.S.

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:32 PM

I think this has potential and I wish the best of luck to the developers. Reading the about page gives me inspiration as a budding programmer.

Did you forget the /s tag? It seems harsh to judge the quality of the program by the operating system it runs on.

Edited by AstroEthan, 02 October 2015 - 08:32 PM.

• Hobby Astronomer and jackofalltrades like this

#14 Nodinute

Nodinute

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: 49°21'N / 6°10′E

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:39 AM

Hello,

Prism is not a new software but is developped for nearly 20 years and used by many astronomers to control their whole setup ( telescope and ccd, observatory, imaging sessions including pre-processing and final processing, even in remote..). Many softwares capabilities including into one package... Very useful even if not very userfriendly at first sight... The release 10 should be available soon (may be the one you can have in the US)

http://www.prism-ast...om/us/index.php

#15 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

• Loc: US

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:13 PM

Clicking on the links on your web age gets me a big old 404. Not encouraging. ;)

#16 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:17 PM

Clicking on the links on your web age gets me a big old 404. Not encouraging. ;)

Rod, it works fine here just 4 minutes later.

#17 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Vanguard

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:11 PM

Jim... the "Main" page (from their link) works fine.

But if you try to see any of the support pages from the left "links"... they are all "404".

#18 photonhunter

photonhunter

Vostok 1

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:24 PM

I don't think that is the right website: http://prism-america.com/ seems to be the English version.

#19 RandallK

RandallK

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:35 PM

Okay - I'm not going to get sucked into the OS debate, I don't feel like it and it isn't really part of the OP's thrust here.

The price for the "Pro" version is a problem for me; I'm guessing the higher end version will be even steeper.  Right now, I'm using the following software to image:

Cartes du Ciel  (Free)

PhD2 (Free)

EQMOD (Free)

SGP w/ Frame & Mosaic add-on  (~$125)

AstroTortilla (Free)

PI (~$250)

So I have all the functionality already, for 1/3 less money. I'm not sure what upgrading will really get me, other than all the software in one app (I'm not sure that's a selling point or not with me) ... let alone why I should pay a premium for the functionality.

I do agree with the comment about a 6 month trial in order to see its worth - that's a major issue I have with the software programs ... trials aren't long enough to really see if they're worth it.  If this were priced at $300 .. maybe; if there was a discount for switching ;) , probably. But this price-point seems based on other high-end software, not what's out there and people are using.

I agree with you Goofi...I am really in love with SGP, especially with my new Framing & Mosaic Wizard add-on.

#20 knro

knro

StellarMate

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Kuwait

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:15 PM

Another reason why I am glad I'm on Linux. I've got all of this in one package for $0

• Planetarium: KStars with 100+ million stars, all DSO, solar system, satellites...etc. Plus lots of tools like Observation Planner, Altitude vs. Time, What's up Tonight...etc
  • Image sequencing & capture: Ekos
  • Astrometry? Ekos
  • Guiding? Ekos
  • Auto focusing? Ekos
  • Scheduler? Ekos
  • Support for EQMod, most mounts/CCDs/DSLRs/Focusers/Filter wheels...etc: INDI

And all of this from within one place: KStars. And you don't even necessarily need Linux on your machine, you can download the Ekos Virtual Machine that comes already prebuilt with KStars and open it up in VirtualBox under Windows. There is also no need for a Desktop/Laptop near your equipment, just get a $35 Raspberry PI and install INDI on it and control it remotely from Ekos and you're set!

Edited by knro, 08 October 2015 - 05:17 PM.

• brave_ulysses, bsavoie, dsidote and 1 other like this

#21 Hamzakt

Hamzakt

Prism v10 - Hyperion Astronomy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:55 PM

I have to say that i have played with AstroArt 5 and Observations manager and it does everything you need. Plate solving is some of the quickest out there with a built in star pattern in AA5. I captures, guides, plate solves, plans observing and even offers pre-processing.

After i discovered Kstars and Ekos, I have installed Ubuntu on my MacBook pro and are awaiting to go back home and try to automate my whole rig with it. I tell ya, this software is complete, and like Jasem said, can remotely control your observatory from a $35 Rasberry Pi. It has an extensive amount of options and the Wunderground weather data input ( through WU API) feature is just priceless. As noted above, the whole software costs exactly $0 and the developer is online around the clock (wonder when he sleeps :grin: ). I am a believer in this suite and will attempt to help them out. Please visit the link below for further information.

http://indilib.org/

Edited by Hamzakt, 16 October 2015 - 11:57 PM.

• psandelle likes this

#22 CHAPSKINS

CHAPSKINS

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:08 PM

I downloaded Prism's wares. I couldn't find a way to make the application show an horizon view :shrug:

I"m not a fan of the icons that they"re using...maybe it's a windows thing. I think that the layout is very logical and it's nice to have one window pop up that you can get to change preferences.

As much as I dislike TheSky X for it's sloppy layout and buttons that bleed into one another, I think I'd pass up Prism's warez...

#23 michastro

michastro

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:51 PM

Hello,

I am a french user of Prism since more than 10 years. I can tell you that I have tested a lot of programs, but this one is the best. As photoshop, you will never use every possibilities of this program, but all you need are inside.

My 20" is used in remote, and Prism makes that perfectly. I program the scope before the night, and I have my images on the next morning.

I can only say: "try it"

Regards

Michel Meunier

• GJJim and Hobby Astronomer like this

#24 telfish

telfish

Vanguard

• Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:40 PM

Tried out the evaluation. Got an exception error stacking my calibration files form a Canon T3i Not exactly a rare camera. And found it does not support Eqmod! A ridiculous omission!

#25 cavadore

cavadore

Vendor (SkyVision)

• -----

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:58 PM

"And found it does not support Eqmod! A ridiculous omission!"

This is not true, I have ran Eqmod (and also many other people).
You need to go to the telescope setup and pull down ASCOM telescopes. Of course you need to have the Eqmod ascom driver installed.

Edited by cavadore, 18 October 2015 - 12:05 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics