•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Prism - new software

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#26 CHAPSKINS

CHAPSKINS

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:13 AM

Anyone know how to show a terresrial horizon view like a *normal* application would? That globe thing makes no sense what-so-ever to my mind.

• turtle86 likes this

#27 Steph949

Steph949

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:59 PM

Hello,

I am very new on this forum.

I use PRiSM from many years. As you can see, it is the version 10 … and the soft has begun at version 1.

I have used this software for example for curve light of asteroids: automatic session for 6 or 7 asteroids per night. All treatments and curves were made at this time by script in order to do automatic treatments. Now, there is a new module for curve light of exoplanet which can be adapted for asteroids. The automatic session is a real pleasure : talk with cloudsensor for clouds, automatics flat at the beginning or end of night, parking of telescope, close of the dome and if the user has some specifically needs, external (as Python or WBS) or internal script could be use during the session. Sincerely, I don’t know other software which can make such a complete session, with observation and treatments (maybe with ACP + MaximDL + The Sky for choice of targets). Some users use a lot of “little” free software … I know, I can see them. They need 2 or 3 PC in order to use one software to guide, one software for planetarium, one software for first camera and so on … I don’t tell that automatic session and don't know how communicate between soft 1, soft 2, soft 3 ...

At this time, I make automatic session for spectrum, always with PRiSM : gestion of three cameras for field camera, spectral camera and electronic finder if field is completely lost. PRiSM can find a field which is far the pointing coordinates. The goal is to point an object (from a file which can be obtain with PRiSM chart) on a slit of 23 µm, find a guide star, make all spectrum, read in an excel file to find a reference star which can be so treated as the object, and so on for all objects. Sorry, I haven’t yet find any software which permit me to have such freely automatic sessions. (PRiSM doesn’t make treatments of spectrum images … I always have ideas to complete a software …).

PRiSM is a software to use with telescope (mount + optical tube + CCD camera) : I find the chart very functional and I hope the chart will never be as those of stellarium or other softwares with trees, grass, houses … I don’t observe at naked eye  and in my desktop ! The goal is to see field as you can see on a CCD … not as naked eye. Moreover, I can define my horizon in order to know where it is not necessary to point telescope.

Use all Linux products in a virtual box : the strong of PRiSM is to access datas and configurations without to get your hands dirty. I don’t know how it is under Linux but if it needs to compile and compile again in order to find good parameters for your configuration, it is not for me …

Just try PRiSM and you can understand all subtleties of this software … But I can tell you even after 20 years of using, you can discover functions all the day.

Regards
Stephane

• GJJim and Hobby Astronomer like this

#28 Pak

Pak

Ranger 4

• ****-
  • Loc: The Great Arc

Posted 18 October 2015 - 01:20 PM

Where are you seeing a 60 day free trial? I see 45 days.

http://prism-america...ducts/download/

#29 cavadore

cavadore

Vendor (SkyVision)

• -----

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:37 PM

This is indeed 45 days. I confirm this.

"Anyone know how to show a terresrial horizon view like a *normal* application would? That globe thing makes no sense what-so-ever to my mind."

This is an orthographic projection, you have an AZ/EQ button as an icon (the last on from the left)

Then you can zoom with the mouse center roller. Also I have heard that video tutorials will come.

There is already a 550 page help file.

Cyril

Edited by cavadore, 19 October 2015 - 12:41 PM.

#30 CHAPSKINS

CHAPSKINS

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:27 PM

So I take this Prism doesn't show an horizon view/ earth view....

#31 starlight5

starlight5

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:42 AM

I guess this is what bothers me when a product like this comes to market.  It works in europe, so it has to work in the U.S.  The gui is something that most customers want to be comfortable with.  SB is still getting complaints about their gui and they could care less.  Now this software package comes here and you're expected to adapt.  Why don't the developers want to listen to customers on issues like this is beyond me.  I don't appreciate comments from the software developers telling me that I don't have an appreciation of how great the gui is

If the gui turns out to be the only thing that is problematic with Prism, I guess I live with it.  For now, I'll sit on the sidelines and watch the Prism forum and see how the beta testers are doing.  So far there is little input on how well the software is doing.  Problems that are noted in the forum seem to indicate a slow start.

I hope this package works and that the U.S. developers react positively in adapting to customer needs. 

• Hobby Astronomer likes this

#32 cavadore

cavadore

Vendor (SkyVision)

• -----

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:20 AM

"So I take this Prism doesn't show an horizon view/ earth view...."

Of course it does, have a sky chat window active

Menu Skychart | Sky Chart Settings

then 

General Display tab

and 

Horizon

#33 CHAPSKINS

CHAPSKINS

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:55 AM

"So I take this Prism doesn't show an horizon view/ earth view...."

Of course it does, have a sky chat window active

Menu Skychart | Sky Chart Settings

then 

General Display tab

and 

Horizon

I think we've got crossed swords here...

I've selected everything that the Sky Chart Setup menu offers and nothing makes anything remotely resembling anything I've ever seen before; just a ball filled with dirrerent coloured crosses. I would like a view the same as what i'm used to seeing in every other mainstay application out there, that being a view of the stars from earth looking into the heavens.

If that ball thing with a white line across the middle of it is supposed to be an horizon view, no wonder no-one is using this application...nice try but no cigar...

#34 CHAPSKINS

CHAPSKINS

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:05 AM

What is that all about?

Attached Thumbnails

• 13B45DC3-3FEE-4913-A683-4EF6E3B3A0D0.JPG

Edited by CHAPSKINS, 23 October 2015 - 11:06 AM.

#35 cavadore

cavadore

Vendor (SkyVision)

• -----

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:22 AM

You can zoom in and insert your own horizon profile.

This is a file that contains one column with azimuth figure, and the other is elevation.

#36 famax

famax

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:56 AM

Hello, nice presentation of this  software on the astro imaging youtube channel.

Seems  a good all-on-one solution :

https://www.youtube....h?v=tImeQGsLVpc

#37 mvollmer

mvollmer

Explorer 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:26 AM

I can't drop that kind of cash for a guiding software.  Can anyone tell me how to get PHD 2 to guide with my SBIG ST-4?

Mike

Tak FS102, Losmandy Gemini G-11, roll off roof observatory

#38 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

• Loc: US

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:04 AM

Don't know of anybody who's tried that old cam with PHD2, but the place to start is choosing SBIG and "on camera."

Prism does one hell of a lot more than just autoguiding...
  • Tonk and Hamzakt like this

#39 scopenitout

scopenitout

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mt. Belzoni

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:53 PM

Just had a look....

Sequence Generator Pro gives nothing away to Prism on the capture side, IMO.

Love my SGP!

Edited by scopenitout, 16 November 2015 - 07:53 PM.

#40 Hamzakt

Hamzakt

Prism v10 - Hyperion Astronomy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:14 PM

2016 update request 

I have been using the trial version and cannot come to a conclusion. Anyone has positive feedback on automation with Prism?

• Raginar likes this

#41 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:52 PM

I'd love to see a review of its automation too. 

• Hamzakt likes this

#42 Hamzakt

Hamzakt

• Vendors

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:11 PM

Chris

I will be making some videos about the software and will post the link here. I have been using its complete automation and go to sleep. In the morning, i find the following:

- Mount is parked in any position i want

- CCD warmed up and disconnected

- sky flats in their folder for my LRGB (20 each)

- a list of all the specifics of the subs: How many were executed, Seeing in arcseconds for each sub as well as a star elongation for each sub to know how my guiding did. Also, the guiding algorithms in it are adaptive and support recovery measures as well.

all in all, it is a marvel and a joy to use. Since i do not have an observatory yet, the King drift method can get you to less that 1 arcminute  off the pole in less than 10 minutes. so setting up and get going is short and can be done in the twilight so you are wasting no imagingtime.

This software has been out for more than 20 years so as far as time goes, it is vetted rather well.

Let me know if anyone needs more information.

• Tonk, R Botero and Raginar like this

#43 Chris W

Chris W

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Essex, UK

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:06 PM

Just had a look....

Love my SGP!

It must take a lot of work to do everything, in depth and keep it up to date. A very diverse expertise is needed.

On the acquisition side, I didn't see anything obvious that would make me move off SGP either. Sure, I have to use PHD2 - but the integration works well. My biggest issue right now is ASCOM interfacing thru TSX for my PMX but that would still be the case with Prism. OK- so it has some image processing capability but admittedly, from the quick overview, it seemed very similar to those processing functions in Maxim DL, which I left behind me a long time ago when I discovered PixInsight.

Having choice is good. It stimulates competition. There are lots of levels at which astrophotographers operate and we all probably pass through to our individual comfort/economic/obsessive level. I'm sure they will find a niche with many users.

Edited by Chris W, 28 August 2016 - 12:22 PM.

#44 Hamzakt

Hamzakt

• Vendors

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:26 PM

Just had a look....

Love my SGP!

It must take a lot of work to do everything, in depth and keep it up to date. A very diverse expertise is needed.

On the acquisition side, I didn't see anything obvious that would make me move off SGP either. Sure, I have to use PHD2 - but the integration works well. My biggest issue right now is ASCOM interfacing thru TSX for my PMX but that would still be the case with Prism. OK- so it has some image processing capability but admittedly, from the quick overview, it seemed very similar to those processing functions in Maxim DL, which I left behind me a long time ago when I discovered PixInsight.

I have been using SGPro and PHD2 for a while and i moved to Prism Advanced as most people know, i wanted a single solution that performs all tasks and is not prone to communication problems or update misfortunes. We can overly simplify this by saying an acquisition only software gives nothing away but that it is a seriously small portion of this one stop shop solution. It has a serious skychart built in ( no external soft needed) that helps you plan, research,etc....it can quantify your PE and PEC with its built in tools..The king drift method is the easiest  visual(=on screen that is, not through an eyepiece) drift alignment tool that i have ever used hands down. it will actually draw a starting box, calculate the centeroid to 1/100th of a pixel and draws a destination box of where you should move the star after a 10 minute drift. guiding is built in and is adaptive as well since it calculate the star flux and knows when there are clouds overhead and stop to recover later. It has a T-point based modeling that will either do all allsky model or differentiate East and West that can be saved and utilized the next time you start your gear up. Differential guiding based on this model is active the next time you start prism and is applied immediately.

Now, talking about automation. I set my custom parking inside prism ( not the driver) to park my mount at the end of the run (alt and AZ coordinates) and choose to take my morning flats. You can specify to Prism what sun elevation do you want to start shooting flats ( mine is -18) and it will shoot all your flats and save them in their designated folders when you wake up. Being a single solution, there won't be any communication problems between different software ( like acquisition and guiding), and these issues are common since i went through them myself.

If one is to inquire further about Prism, please let me know and i will give you all the info that i have. If an opinion is readily made about it, there isn't much to be done there. 

P.S: there isn't a single solution out there that does automation at this level which is standalone, almost every other software needs an external automation application to control it. In this instance also, you update one package as opposed to many which could break the functionality.

Hope this help,

• Tonk, R Botero, Guest7564635 and 1 other like this

#45 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for the post Hamza. I'm still waiting till I have some free time and clear skies to give it a shot. I'll let you know ☺️

#46 Hamzakt

Hamzakt

• Vendors

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:49 AM

You're welcome Chris, it is truly a fire-and-forget solution ( i know you saw what i did there  :grin: )

#47 love2dive

love2dive

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:26 PM

Sorry for being so late into this discussion.  Is Prism now being sold only through Optcorp?  So far, Optcorp seems like the only retailer that sells it.

#48 Hamzakt

Hamzakt

• Vendors

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:40 PM

Sorry for being so late into this discussion. Is Prism now being sold only through Optcorp? So far, Optcorp seems like the only retailer that sells it.

Hello

Actually we do directly and our vendors are:
OPT CORP
Woodland Hills
Tolga Astro
Teleskop-Express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#49 scubabri

scubabri

Mariner 2

• Loc: Alpine, Utah

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:10 PM

I've just downloaded and I'm going to give it a try. I watched several of the youtube vids and its very interesting. The photometry and astrometry capabilities seem very interesting. Also, I'm interested on how to sequence the 100 or so galaxies for supernova hunts and then automating the blink/discovery.

b

• Stu Todd likes this

#50 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:33 PM

We plan on looking seriously at this software in the next few months to run our 14" and 17" PlaneWaves on PW's new L-series mounts for astrophotography or scientific data capture when our new public observatory opens in 2019. It looks like a very nice all-in-one package. I spoke with Hamza at NEAF and he was pretty enthusiastic about his software's capabilities.

• Stu Todd likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics