•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Criterion dynascope deluxe owners?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
106 replies to this topic

#1 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:23 PM

Ok, so I'm about to become the owner of a criterion dynascope 8 inch deluxe in rough shape......I have posted it in the ebay/craigslist finds thread here....can't help myself, as I am more excited about this scope than just about any others I've acquired....im probably crazy even since I've posted so much about it and have yet to pick it up!.......anyway, I would love to hear from anyone who has one, had one, restored one, or any information I can get!......it looks to be complete, but everything will need to be restored......while I have lots of telescopes, this is my first newt.....I want to do it right, any and all advice is welcomed.....

while I'm confident I can do the resto of mount justice, I will need lots of help for the optics.....assuming the mirror is not junk, who can help with evaluating the optics, re coating etc?.........I want to do this right!.......

lots of rambling here....but figured I would go ahead and start the restoration thread now!

bob

#2 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:37 PM

Bob, as I told you privately, I'm so happy for you!  I was happy to bow out for someone passionate about it.  It's a great scope.  As I said, I have many fond memories using one just like it.

i strongly suspect everything on this scope is going to simply tired, but otherwise excellent.  You may need to recoat the optics, but nothing wrong with that.  Can't wait to see it!

#3 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:45 PM

Don't worry about it - we're here to help :)

Before considering sending the mirror off for a refigure, it would be best to test out the optics first.  Chances are it may just need a recoating or nothing at all.  Depends, it'll need an inspection and star test.  Familiarize yourself with how to collimate a Newtonian.  There's good info over in the Reflector Forum. 

The scope will need a careful touch when you start taking it apart.  Best advice I have is to document everything and take lots of pictures (and post them in your thread!).  There have only been a couple of threads about the Criterion Dynascope 8" Newtonian here and hopefully the folks that have them will speak up with help from their experience.

#4 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:46 PM

Thanks George!.....you are a great example of folks working together here on this site!

I want to publicly thank you for your kindness and respect when I said I was serious about pursuing this telescope....George simply acknowledged it and said he would bow out and help me get the scope anyway he could......it just doesn't get any better than that.......

bob......

#5 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:49 PM

Here's some pics from the ad to start the resto thread.....

ok, maybe not, had to remove as rules say you can't post pics that don't belong to you......I'll take some pics later today and post.....

Edited by TexasSky, 26 September 2015 - 05:59 AM.

#6 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:54 PM

awesome looking scope

#7 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Vanguard

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:02 PM

A work of art! Good luck!

#8 jim kuhns

jim kuhns

Viking 1

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:09 PM

Remember seeing theses scopes back in the 60's in SKY & TELESCOPE and getting a  information about the scopes.  .  The company also made the RV-6.  Looks to be F/7 or F/8.

#9 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:35 PM

Bob, Nice find! I've had a couple of these and currently have an unrestored OTA in the garage. Don't know if you're aware but if you remove the mount from the bell housing base,there should be three short legs attached, some were wood others aluminum. That's one of the scopes that I've enjoyed using the most. I remember dialing in Messier objects with the excellent setting circles it has.

Edited by rolo, 25 September 2015 - 11:36 PM.

#10 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:51 PM

A thread about my 6" model. I had many nice nights this summer with this scope...

http://www.cloudynig...23-364mm-to-125 diagonal-to-6-dynascope 

Nice color coordination, right?

Attached Thumbnails

• 0.jpg

#11 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:48 AM

I had the 6 and 8 back around 1980 and both had super optics.

Chas

#12 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:56 AM

I remember seeing one of those scopes in the old Hayden Planetarium in NY.

Rich (RLTYS)

#13 Gil V

Gil V

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:00 AM

Oddly enough, when I joined the company in 1979, there were barely any traces of the Dynascope line in the shop. I think they left it all behind when they moved from the Church street location.

I did buy the last remaining 12-1/2" mirror and secondary that we had in inventory, though. Which I have since sold.

I'll be virtually no help to you but for in spirit.

#14 tim53

tim53

Hubble

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:53 AM

ok, maybe not, had to remove as rules say you can't post pics that don't belong to you......I'll take some pics later today and post.....

Ask the seller if you can have his permission to repost the pics from the ad.  I've done that several times in the past.

-Tim.

#15 tim53

tim53

Hubble

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:56 AM

I think the biggest challenge to restoration won't be the optics, but the wrinkle gray finish on the tube, if it needs repainting and not just a good cleaning.  You'd have to find a paint shop that could match the color and mix the paint for you, since I've never found any source for wrinkle gray anywhere (Optical Craftsmen piers were wrinkle gray).

-Tim.

#16 tim53

tim53

Hubble

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:57 AM

So, if the scope works and looks decent after you've cleaned it and recoated the optics (if they need it), I wouldn't take it apart.  Just use it as is.

-Tim.

#17 gelkin

gelkin

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:18 PM

Very classy scope you are getting Bob.  :bow:  :bow:  I had one like it for a couple years. Fortunately my ota was in excellent shape. The mount and pier needed lots of work. My thread is here.  http://www.cloudynig...scope-8-deluxe/

DSC_9019.JPG

DSC_9015.JPG

#18 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:38 PM

My word thats a beautiful scope.

I have always loved the looks of  that model.

Robert

#19 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 September 2015 - 06:06 PM

I never get tired of seeing that picture Gerald!

#20 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vendor - Portable Observatories

• Vendors

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:28 PM

Ok, so I'm about to become the owner of a criterion dynascope 8 inch deluxe in rough shape......I have posted it in the ebay/craigslist finds thread here....can't help myself, as I am more excited about this scope than just about any others I've acquired....im probably crazy even since I've posted so much about it and have yet to pick it up!.......anyway, I would love to hear from anyone who has one, had one, restored one, or any information I can get!......it looks to be complete, but everything will need to be restored......while I have lots of telescopes, this is my first newt.....I want to do it right, any and all advice is welcomed.....

while I'm confident I can do the resto of mount justice, I will need lots of help for the optics.....assuming the mirror is not junk, who can help with evaluating the optics, re coating etc?.........I want to do this right!.......

lots of rambling here....but figured I would go ahead and start the restoration thread now!

bob

Glad you got it.  I would have bought it when I found it if my scope fund was not "tapped out" at the moment..  Looking forward to the restoration pictues.

John  CCD-Freak

#21 TCW

TCW

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:47 PM

I think the biggest challenge to restoration won't be the optics, but the wrinkle gray finish on the tube, if it needs repainting and not just a good cleaning.  You'd have to find a paint shop that could match the color and mix the paint for you, since I've never found any source for wrinkle gray anywhere (Optical Craftsmen piers were wrinkle gray).

-Tim.

Maybe this will work - http://www.amazon.co...nkle grey paint

#22 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:19 PM

Thanks all......whewwwwww,......what a day!.....I picked up the scope......it is very tired....and will definitely need a complete restoration......but, it is all there, and under the grime and peeling paint, in very good shape......It is missing it's wood legs though.......no big deal as I'm better at wood working than metal!......

mirror is intact, but with fungus/coating issues......no prob, I anticipated this......all in all, it met my expectations, which was"awesome"  :waytogo: ......I'll get some pics and post ASAP......

oh, btw, for the tube paint......could one spray with wrinkle finish black first and then add the correct color?

bob

#23 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:32 PM

Absolutely awesome Bob!  Next time I'm planning on being in the area, I'll ping you.  Can't wait to see it!

#24 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:25 PM

Very classy scope you are getting Bob.  :bow:  :bow:  I had one like it for a couple years. Fortunately my ota was in excellent shape. The mount and pier needed lots of work. My thread is here.  http://www.cloudynig...scope-8-deluxe/

attachicon.gifDSC_9019.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_9015.JPG

Holy Cow!.....wow Gerald......now I have an example to aspire to!.......thanks!......

i do notice a difference though between your example and mine......your RA housing is "straight" .....while mine is a tapered design.....hmmmm....interesting.......i set the scope up in my shop tonight and literally just sat and stared for quite sometime......it really is awesome.......man, I'm beat.....long day.....pics tomorrow......

bob

#25 TexasSky

TexasSky

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:27 PM

Oh, one last observation.......mine only has 3 counterweights versus the 4 I've seen in most pics......not sure if one disappeared or if original......seems to balance well though.......good night!

bob

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics