•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

If I only had $1800 to spend on a CAT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:23 PM

I would get this...

http://www.astromart....asp?cid=255578

#2 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:42 PM

I can hear it calling your name from 'way over here.... :grin:

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:48 PM

I like the idea that it's Supercharged, but I'd want to confirm that it has the latest firmware. Last I heard, Meade wasn't selling the update proms anymore. He's a little confused; the firmware ISN'T in the handbox. It's on the motherboard in the base.

I see OPT has a used one with standard accessories and latest firmware for $1900.

#4 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:59 PM

John, I'm only dreaming...

#5 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 09 March 2004 - 09:07 PM

John, I'm only dreaming...

There was a thread somewhere on here about scopes on eBay. I bought a 10" LX200 Classic there once for $1000! That was my portable scope for quite a while after I tore it down and cleaned the fingerprints off the inside of the corrector and put it together correctly. Wouldn't have been a very good deal for someone who wasn't willing to open 'er up, though. A local has it now and is having a ball with it.

#6 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 10 March 2004 - 11:02 AM

I would get this...

http://www.astromart....asp?cid=255578

Meade 8" LX200 GPS Price: $1,949.00
Demo. This is a demo we've had in the front office for some time. It is a GPS scope, but not the current Smart Mount version. It has EMC multicoatings, tripod, hand control, electric focuser, 26mm Super Plössl, 1.25" star diagonal, etc. It still has a warranty card and qualifies for the Meade $99 eyepiece offer. Regularly $2495. Quantity 1. Our part #8210G/D.
http://www.astronomi...&w=1#Telescopes

#7 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 10 March 2004 - 11:35 AM

Meade 8" LX200 GPS Price: $1,949.00
Demo. This is a demo we've had in the front office for some time. It is a GPS scope, but not the current Smart Mount version. It has EMC multicoatings, tripod, hand control, electric focuser, 26mm Super Plössl, 1.25" star diagonal, etc. It still has a warranty card and qualifies for the Meade $99 eyepiece offer. Regularly $2495. Quantity 1. Our part #8210G/D.
http://www.astronomi...&w=1#Telescopes

Interesting. It would be nice if someone would come out and say for certain that that Meade's current "standard coatings" are NOT the earlier EMC multicoatings. I believe the current standard coatings are a single MgFl layer but I can't prove it. If so, this EMC model would be a better perfomer than a current standard model. If SMT is desired it's an easy $99 addon.

#8 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 10 March 2004 - 01:09 PM

I don't put a whole lot of credit in the whole coating stuff. I think as long as they are coated and coated without flaws I think your set, anything extra is just fluff to add to the price...

Buts thats just my oppion...

#9 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 10 March 2004 - 01:15 PM

If I only had $1800 to spend on a CAT

So, you don't have a credit card? Dude, you've REALLY got to learn about those things... :yay:

#10 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 10 March 2004 - 01:41 PM

I don't put a whole lot of credit in the whole coating stuff. I think as long as they are coated and coated without flaws I think your set, anything extra is just fluff to add to the price...

Hi, Preston.

I dunno about the Starbright v. Starbright XLT or the EMC v. UHTC differences; I'd buy the enhanced coatings just to ptotect resale value.

I can say that I've owned plain MgFl C8's and Starbright C8's and I could see the difference. I have owned MCOG, EMC, and UHTC 10" Meades and couldn't see a difference, so I feel I can live with any of the multicoated setups. What concerns me is that Meade dropped the EMC label sometime after UHTC was introduced; I suspect the current choice is straight MgFl v. UHTC - if so, that's not much of a choice; I'm sure I'd see the difference.

#11 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 10 March 2004 - 07:18 PM

I would toss a used C-11 on my Atlas !!! I can't find many objects, but the ones that I can would sure look good with that combo.

Scott

#12 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 11 March 2004 - 02:40 AM

I would go new...for $1699.

http://telescopes.ne..._4-sgt__ad.html

#13 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 11 March 2004 - 10:05 AM

Hi, Preston.

I dunno about the Starbright v. Starbright XLT or the EMC v. UHTC differences; I'd buy the enhanced coatings just to ptotect resale value.

I can say that I've owned plain MgFl C8's and Starbright C8's and I could see the difference. I have owned MCOG, EMC, and UHTC 10" Meades and couldn't see a difference, so I feel I can live with any of the multicoated setups. What concerns me is that Meade dropped the EMC label sometime after UHTC was introduced; I suspect the current choice is straight MgFl v. UHTC - if so, that's not much of a choice; I'm sure I'd see the difference.

Your absolutely correct about resale... I shoulda mentioned that...

BUT Alan Dyer in his review of the LX200GPS for S&T stated that the visual observer would be hard pressed to see any difference in the coatings at the eyepiece... Being I'm visual observer, and I respect Dyers oppion, that was enough for me to hold off on the coatings... That and I had only $2100ish to spend LOL :bigshock:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics