•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cloudy Nights, Introduce yourself!

• Please log in to reply
4923 replies to this topic

#26 blackadder1620

blackadder1620

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Clarksville, TN

Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:53 PM

Hello, been doing this almost a month. I have a few post but, most questions i have have been answered before so no need to make another. So far is been a good fourm. Some of the pictures you guys take are breath taking. Seems to also be a older crowd, strange for me being a young one.
  • maugi88, QuintStiff, Chris K and 1 other like this

#27 Rusty Gunn

Rusty Gunn

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kotzebue Alaska

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:26 PM

Hi. Eskimo from northwest Alaska. My two daughters and are new to astronomy, having been botten since last year. We now have three telescopes, an Orion XT8 Dobson, an 80mm Orion tabletop refractor and a Celestron C90 Mak-Cass.
we do have dark skies indeed, but ugly cold when its clear.
  • maugi88, blackadder1620, UrsaMaatRa and 1 other like this

#28 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• Loc: SE MN

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:27 PM

Hi Blackadder1620, Rusty. It's great to have you both with us.

• Rusty Gunn and blackadder1620 like this

#29 blackadder1620

blackadder1620

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Clarksville, TN

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:50 PM

Hi. Eskimo from northwest Alaska. My two daughters and are new to astronomy, having been botten since last year. We now have three telescopes, an Orion XT8 Dobson, an 80mm Orion tabletop refractor and a Celestron C90 Mak-Cass.

i would love to have Alaskan dark skie. The cold though idk. Everyone i know that was stationed there loved it too.
  • Rusty Gunn likes this

#30 mogur

mogur

Soyuz

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:28 PM

i would love to have Alaskan dark skie. The cold though idk. Everyone i know that was stationed there loved it too.

It's not as great as you'd think. During summer it's light out all the time. :shocked: Winter is good but you have to put up with bright auroras a lot. Plus all the neat southern objects are too far south to see! I lived there for almost 7 years. Luckily before I was into astronomy.

• QuintStiff likes this

#31 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:49 AM

Blackadder & Rusty,

Welcome to this classy joint where we sip virtual margaritas / scotch / (insert favorite drink) and chat about the hobby when the weather is too challenging to let us go out and observe / image!

We are all a friendly bunch here - any questions you may have, feel free to start a new topic in the Beginners Forum and we will shower you with suggestions  :grin:

• CosmologicalConstant likes this

#32 deanc

deanc

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Philippines

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:25 AM

Hello from the Philippines!!

I'm Dean and I own a celestron nextar 90gt, an orange 8se, some x-cel lx eyepieces and a bunch of other things that I believe I do not need :)

Currently looking for goto mount for the 8se in the budget and hope to share some experiences with you guys....
  • Susan H likes this

#33 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:49 AM

Hi Dean,

We are all hoarders here whether we admit it or not so you are among like minded people  :grin: Welcome to the band of merry pirates here  :lol:

I would suggest you start a new topic either in the Beginners forum or the Mounts forum about the goto mount you need, advising if it is for visual and / or astrophotography and if visual, if you prefer Alt / Az or German Equatorial.

It will help make the responses more relevant to your particular requirements. Goes without saying that you should state the budget otherwise the sky's the limit...  :waytogo:

#34 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:07 AM

Hi Dean, I'm glad to hear a shout out from the Philippines. Welcome to cn.  

#35 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:41 AM

Hello, been doing this almost a month. I have a few post but, most questions i have have been answered before so no need to make another. So far is been a good fourm. Some of the pictures you guys take are breath taking. Seems to also be a older crowd, strange for me being a young one.

Welcome on board! As far as " being a young one" no need to apologize.... you won't be getting any younger. We all started out younger...a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Grey

• blackadder1620 likes this

#36 deanc

deanc

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Philippines

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:40 AM

Thanks guys for the warm welcome!!!

Still torn between the avx and exos-2

Edited by deanc, 04 November 2015 - 05:41 AM.

#37 Susan H

Susan H

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, FL

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:54 AM

Hi Dean and welcome to CN. I've owned an AVX mount. Awesome is all I can say. Good luck with your decision and clear skies. 

#38 Royedward

Royedward

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:33 AM

Hello, my name is Roy from Lancashire in England, where it is and has been dull, foggy and damp for the last week or so.
I'm returning to practical astronomy after many years absence. My first telescope ,a 4 inch reflector was bought way back in the sixties. I got a huge amount of enjoyment out of this simple cardboard tube arrangement. A few years later I decided to make my own. I had an early book on telescope making ,the author I think was a chap called 'Howard'. Very good book,much thumbed.
Spent months on and off grinding an 8 inch mirror. All went well  right up to the final polishing and figuring when disaster struck! Like most youths in those days I had a beard in which must have been hiding dust or grit. A large scratch appeared. Put it away and never had the heart to regrind.
Then came work,family and rubbish sky location.
But now I've retired and live in a rural part of country. I decided to treat myself to a Celestron evolution 9.25 telescope. Absolutely amazing how they've changed. Full control from my iPad ,fantastic.
Now as I mentioned above the weather here has been rubbish, only one or two very brief cloud openings so far No luck aligning at that time,which I have to put down to too few stars and my incompetence. So for now I just have to admire it standing in the corner of the room....waiting to go.
Because of this inactivity I have had plenty of time to dwell on what may look like a possible problem or an imagined one. What bothers me is a balance issue. I have to unbalance the tube for eyepieces  to clear the tray . Does this cause strain on the motor and wear to the worm drive I wonder?
Yours is the most excellent site where I have read a huge amount of info and have learnt a lot.  Really good to look at pictures of members set ups and experiences.
Cheers to all.

• Susan H and maugi88 like this

#39 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:35 AM

Welcome to CN Roy. So glad to have you here. You will find there are quite a few of your countrymen on this site. Very good people.

You have a very nice telescope there. Stick with it, you'll get it aligned and marvel at the views it will give you as long as you have realistic expectations. As far as balancing, I do that with my initial setup of my german equatorial mount. I set it up with the dew shield, diagonal and a mid size eye piece. I then don't rebalance with every ep change. It seems to handle the differences just fine. You may want to place a post in Cats and Casses or the beginner forum. There are a lot of really knowledgeable members here and I am sure you will get the answers you are looking for.

Good luck and enjoy your stay. I wish you good seeing as well, there are bound to be at least a few nice evenings for your enjoyment, even in your part of the world.

#40 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:56 PM

Hi Roy and welcome to CN !!!

We are clouded in as well over here - just spent invested an hour playing with sorting out my equipment and admiring it checking it for any issues.

May I suggest you head over to the Cats & Casses forum and ask the question? I am sure there's a bunch of people with similar scopes who can give you pointers on the balancing issue - I am a refractor / reflector kinda guy so can't really say much  :grin:

#41 Georgia Dawg

Georgia Dawg

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Atlanta Metro, Georgia

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:10 PM

New to the site and astro. I've spent the last several years researching and researching scopes and then some more. Started out drooling over Obsessions but there's no way I can even come close to affording those. Dang if this isn't a pricey hobby! Discovered some reads for beginner level scopes. Now things are looking relatively more affordable & more appropriate for a beginner to start with and learn the basics. So with that it looks like I've narrowed it down to two to decide on and finally snag within the next quarter. The Celestron CPC Deluxe 800 HD or the Meade LX200-ACF 8". Obviously I'm leaning to AP but that'll have to wait for additional future funding to occur and wanted to be well set up when it does. In the meantime it's read, read, read and learn, learn, learn. Eventually I'll find a viewing party somewhere here in Georgia to take the next step and learn, learn, learn some more. Thanks paid forward to the warm greetings. Now back to reading!

#42 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:59 PM

Hi Georgia Dawg,

I am glad to hear you have become excited about this great hobby. Careful, it can be addicting. :grin: Welcome to our family.  

• Georgia Dawg likes this

#43 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:49 AM

Welcome Georgia Dawg  :banjodance: ,

Astronomy can be very cheap, very expensive and everything in between - but it is a very educational hobby.

As long as you enjoy it and your finances can handle it, why not get what you feel is the best gear for you?  :waytogo:  :grin:

#44 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:10 AM

Roy

Welcome to our group! I remember Astronomy back in the 60's also. The stars were much brighter in those days.... or so it seems. Thanks for joining us.

Grey

#45 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:20 AM

Don't worry about being New to the world of astronomy G.D. after all look up the photons you see are just now reaching us, so are as fresh and as new as you. A perfect combination. Enjoy!

Grey

#46 mikmant

mikmant

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New Hampshire, USA

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:15 PM

After many hours of reading posts and watching dozens of you tube videos on equipment, I jumped in with both feet and bought a Zhumell Z10, a few accessories and joined this group.  We've had a few dark, clear nights in a row.  It’s given me the opportunity to fiddle with my gear and I've been able to view some neat stuff.

• maugi88 likes this

#47 unclebilly

unclebilly

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:29 PM

Hello from Bill (retired) in Houston. Haven't looked through a telescope in years, yet always looking up and feel familiar with the night sky. I recently bought, @ auction, an Orange tube Celestron C8. Package came with tripod, mount, ac/dc drive, several eye pieces. The instrument is in excellent condition and I DO plan on a "first light" event "soon ".  Although I bought the scope because I always dreamed of owning a Celesteon now that I have one how do I become "intimate" with the instrument? I am a bit over whelmed by focal points, focus length, single or dual axis mounts...........I understand this scope has an early to mid 70s for a birthday date. Is there a way to find out for sure? Also, have I bought outdated technology and wasting my time hoping to get any enjoyment from this scope? Although It is beautiful sitting next to my rock collections !!!! Your thoughts please,

Bill

• Susan H and maugi88 like this

#48 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:21 PM

mikmant

The Z10 is a great scope and will show you wonderfully detailed views of the Moon and many planets. DSOs will shine for you.   I had a GSO12" (same manufacturer as the Z10) I loved it!

Welcome to CN and share what you learn, please. I thought about moving to NH for the milder winters but I'd miss the cool Maine summers too much.

Grey

• mikmant likes this

#49 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:29 PM

Bill please visit our Celestron NexStar forum lots of very experienced folks there using the vintage Celestron scopes and mounts like my NexStar 5i, ca 2004 and yours. Welcome to the group!

Grey

#50 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:30 AM

Mikmant & Bill,

Welcome to CN  :breakdancing:

A 10" is a lfetime scope. Easy to move about as well, so good choice. I only wish the clouds were so easy to move about  :lol:

The C8 - a classic for sure. These things just keep on trucking for decades with no issues. Yours is probably fairing better than me (your scope and me have more or less the same age)  :grin:

• mikmant likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics