•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cloudy Nights, Introduce yourself!

• Please log in to reply
5335 replies to this topic

#5326 callardgreens

callardgreens

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 April 2021 - 09:08 AM

Hey, I am callardgreens. I am very much a forum and thread reader and will post occasionally. Definitely a beginning astronomer and to this point, I have only used a set of Nikon 10-22 x 50 binoculars. I recently purchased a Celestron NexStar 6SE as a first scope with motorized mount.

I found the cloudy nights forums through some google searching for help with trying to get my NexStar aligned. These 2 links have been super helpful:

https://www.cloudyni...ty-nexstar-6se/

https://www.cloudyni...s/?hl=alignment

I had been having problems getting it to align and go to proper star that I selected with hand controller. I have tried all the usual stuff listed here on cloudy nights and several other forums and resources. Anyway, I am pretty sure I have my issues figured out and wanted to point out these 2 forum threads as being helpful.

While poking around the Beginner Forum, found Dave Mitsky totally awesome info post and have started going through this forum post:
https://www.cloudyni...ur-astronomers/

I have managed to get some decent pictures of the sun, using a solar filter obviously, as well as some pics of the Moon and Sirius/Procyon, on my NexStar using my smartphone. Anyway, just wanted to drop in and introduce myself.

• blakestree and Ben the Ignorant like this

#5327 Ben the Ignorant

Ben the Ignorant

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: At the center of the exploding Universe, where it is safe

Posted 03 April 2021 - 10:41 AM

I recently purchased a Celestron NexStar 6SE as a first scope with motorized mount.

150mm is a good diameter for a starter scope, it's got enough light grasp and resolving power to keep things interesting for a long time. I began real stargazing with a C5 only because it was the only tabletop to be had; they didn't make a C6 back then.

If I was a beginner today, not sure of the mount I'd put it on, but the C6 tube would be my primary choice as a compact tube. Sometimes I even think of selling the 5-inch optical tube and placing a 6-inch on the same mount. Anyway, welcome to the biggest astronomy resource in the world.

Edited by Ben the Ignorant, 03 April 2021 - 10:42 AM.

• Voilam and callardgreens like this

#5328 Gbarr56

Gbarr56

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Hernando, FL

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:00 PM

New to Astrophotography. I own a Fujifilm X-T3 DSLR camera and a 100-400 lens. I just ordered a Sky Watcher EQ6R Pro and an ASI Air pro bundle. I thought I get a telescope and Astro camera in. Year or so. I shot my first Orion Nebula last week. Now I am obsessed with learning about how to get the best Image. I worked at Fujifilm for 32 years.

#5329 Gbarr56

Gbarr56

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Hernando, FL

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:00 PM

New to Astrophotography. I own a Fujifilm X-T3 DSLR camera and a 100-400 lens. I just ordered a Sky Watcher EQ6R Pro and an ASI Air pro bundle. I thought I get a telescope and Astro camera in. Year or so. I shot my first Orion Nebula last week. Now I am obsessed with learning about how to get the best Image. I worked at Fujifilm for 32 years.
  • callardgreens likes this

#5330 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:07 PM

Howdy, I'm a relatively new member - joined here 2 months ago - and never introduced myself so I figured I'd go ahead and post here.

I'm from North Texas and live in a rural Bortle 4.5 area.  2 years ago I moved from a suburban Bortle 8 area and the first clear night out at the new place I knew I had to get a telescope.  It's been 50 years since I used my father's 6" newtonian but I've been researching and looking at scopes and mounts for the last 10 years or so.

After looking around for the last couple months I finally pulled the trigger today and placed an order with Astronomics.  Well, actually a month ago I placed an order with B&H but I cancelled that order after the status went from "Shipping April 5th" to "backordered".  Plus, over the last month I found out that Astronomics actually owns CloudyNights (sometimes I think they do too good a job staying "hands off" of this forum laugh.gif ).  I called Astronomics today and was very impressed with their knowledge and honesty - they were up front that I could be in for quite a wait.

A friend with a 10" Meade SCT (he lives in the same Bortle 8 area I moved from) came up this weekend and it was good getting to look through a scope again.  Here's hoping the time until my order arrives flys by...but in the meantime I'm sure my friend will want to come by several times. smile.gif

Edited by jpengstrom, 05 April 2021 - 06:08 PM.

#5331 dbrb

dbrb

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:07 PM

Hi All.

My first exposure to astronomy was in the early 70s in college.  We used C8s provided by the university. I took some pictures using a c8 to guide my camera with a 400mm lens on it. 

I became an optometrist and have had a strong interest and technical background in many forms of optics.

In the 90s I took occasional pics of a few brighter comets. 

In the 2000s I bought a celestron 76. Although it looked neat I only was successful in imaging the moon. 

In 2009 we moved to a more rural area and the nearest city of 5000 is 12 miles away. Most neighbors don't use electric lights. We have spent many an evening gazing at the milkyway.

In 2019 I went out and did some pictures of other comets using my Lumix with a 50mm f1.4. Eventually learned how to use programs splice a lot of pictures into one. Last summer designed a motor drive using Fusion 360 and a stepper motor. Also made a longer exposure box so I could exceed the 1min maximum of my camera. 

Turning 70 in a month and wife decided that I need to get back to using a better telescope. Looked around and all the vendors are out of most of their stock there seems to be a real shortage. We did find and order a GSO 12" tube.  I think it is borderline large but available. Going to have to make a mount. 

Well that is more info about me than is logical.

Edit: I should add that as a teenager, our HS science club did a field trip to Yerkes Observatory in probably 1966 or 67, it was on a Saturday morning. So we didn't see it doing anything, but was mighty impressive.  Polished brass and big dome.

Dave

Edited by dbrb, 07 April 2021 - 10:33 AM.

• blakestree, Voilam, CltFlyboy and 1 other like this

#5332 AppeeG

AppeeG

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:32 AM

I am brand telescope assisted star gazer. My scope comes in the mail today and I already have my Hyperion zoom and barlow ready. I must be strong and not rush out and buy accessories like crazy. Looking forward to this new hobby and sharing my experiences/asking questions.
  • blakestree likes this

#5333 callardgreens

callardgreens

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 April 2021 - 02:28 PM

Hey, I am callardgreens. I am very much a forum and thread reader and will post occasionally. Definitely a beginning astronomer and to this point, I have only used a set of Nikon 10-22 x 50 binoculars. I recently purchased a Celestron NexStar 6SE as a first scope with motorized mount.

I found the cloudy nights forums through some google searching for help with trying to get my NexStar aligned. These 2 links have been super helpful:

https://www.cloudyni...ty-nexstar-6se/

https://www.cloudyni...s/?hl=alignment

I had been having problems getting it to align and go to proper star that I selected with hand controller. I have tried all the usual stuff listed here on cloudy nights and several other forums and resources. Anyway, I am pretty sure I have my issues figured out and wanted to point out these 2 forum threads as being helpful.

While poking around the Beginner Forum, found Dave Mitsky totally awesome info post and have started going through this forum post:
https://www.cloudyni...ur-astronomers/

I have managed to get some decent pictures of the sun, using a solar filter obviously, as well as some pics of the Moon and Sirius/Procyon, on my NexStar using my smartphone. Anyway, just wanted to drop in and introduce myself.

Forgot to add - I reside in Mid-Atlantic region of US

• CltFlyboy likes this

#5334 sidfallon

sidfallon

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 12:02 PM

Hello hello. Complete noob getting into all of this. Wife and I recently purchased our first telescope -- Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT. I've already gotten a lot of answers perusing the forums, and figured I should say hi. :)

#5335 JamesGang

JamesGang

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 10:54 PM

Hi, I am in Austin TX. I have an Orion Mak127 ordered. I know it has a 45 degree correct-image diagonal, but I have a ninety degree diagonal at home. My oldest son has a Celestron 70 refractor (Walmart). I dug it out for the great conjunction. It was missing the 90 degree diagonal and he did not know where it was. He is overseas (military) and obviously could not look for it at home, so I ordered one. I will use that one with the Mak. Even with the 70mm cheap refractor, I was able to see Jupiter w/ 4 of its moons and the rings of Saturn. So that got me interested in upgrading. On the advice of ****, who is in the Austin Astronomy Club, I ordered the Mak. I have made reservations at Davis Mountain State Park (near the McD Observatory) for August. Both Saturn and Jupiter are at opposition in August 2 and 19 respectively. I am splitting the difference in days and will be arriving 8/10. I will be there for the Perseid Meteor Shower. I may go to the McD Observatory if they are having a Star Party (been there 3 times before).

I have been ghosting Cloudy Nights for a few months, so I decided to join. I am still deciding on a mount, but am leaning toward the  Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Altazimuth Mount or the Astro-Tech Voyager 2 Altazimuth Mount. I am not sure if there is any difference between the two, but they look the same. I will try to do that mod that others have done to help with stabilization. 

Thanks,

Leading member of the James Gang

#5336 Ben the Ignorant

Ben the Ignorant

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: At the center of the exploding Universe, where it is safe

Posted Today, 04:02 AM

I am still deciding on a mount, but am leaning toward the  Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Altazimuth Mount or the Astro-Tech Voyager 2 Altazimuth Mount. I am not sure if there is any difference between the two, but they look the same. I will try to do that mod that others have done to help with stabilization.

Hi. What is that mod?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics