•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cloudy Nights, Introduce yourself!

• Please log in to reply
6249 replies to this topic

#6151 DavesView

DavesView

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Pensacola, FL USA

Posted 22 January 2023 - 07:13 PM

New guy here. Back into the hobby after a 10 year pause. Quit when I got tired of the Meade 8" SCT UHTC fork mount. Couldn't go any further with that gear. Retired with entirely too much free time on my hands (you can only play so much golf). Got the fever revived recently and purchased a package for photography: WO FLT91, EQ6-Ri Pro, ASIair Plus, ASI imagers and other sundries. Mainly interested in deep sky. Pulled the 8" OTA off the fork, outfitted it for equatorial and plan to use it for galaxies. Currently getting UPS updates on the EQ6 and FLT91 as they travel from California to Florida while I sit here champing at the bit. I think I got the last FLT91 located in the US, lol. Anyway... clear skies!

Edited by DavesView, 23 January 2023 - 06:24 AM.

• AstroApe and beecee like this

#6152 Bionic Wi-Fi

Bionic Wi-Fi

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 22 January 2023 - 09:09 PM

Hello,
I’m Rocky in Portland, OR. I got a Celestron 5SE for Christmas and am now obsessed! I took a couple nice pictures of the moon by just pointing my iPhone into the eyepiece and patiently moving it around. Once I learn the sky and the visual observing techniques and technology,I’d like to eventually get into astrophotography - that is a few years down the road though, I imagine.
  • AstroPepper likes this

#6153 ZenithSys

ZenithSys

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 January 2023 - 09:32 PM

Hi all! I'm a complete beginner at astronomy and astrophotography - I recently got into it when I realized my new phone has a long-exposure camera setting. I was actually referred here through deerlickgroup.com after I was looking for some places to do astrophotography. I'll probably read more than I post, but either way, I'm super excited to be here (and to see a living, breathing internet forum in 2023, it feels like they all died proper somewhere around 2013).

Thanks for having me!!

• kevinrodgers22 likes this

#6154 toumeianswer

toumeianswer

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: DMV

Posted 24 January 2023 - 08:36 PM

I suppose I should stop lurking at some point and introduce myself. My name is Orion (purely coincidence, I promise) and I started really getting into astronomy in the fall of 2022. My interest leans toward astrophotography but right now I'm doing purely visual until I get the hang of things and then I may look into getting an AP setup. I joined my local astronomy club and they kept mentioning this forum so I thought I'd join in and see what it's all about. I'm still very new and have a lot of questions, but I'm very excited to be here!

Edited by toumeianswer, 25 January 2023 - 11:03 AM.

• AstroApe and Nankins like this

#6155 Domdron

Domdron

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Thogoto, Kenya

Posted 25 January 2023 - 12:20 AM

Hello. I've been interested in space all my life, real or unreal (sci-fi), but only got my first telescope a few weeks ago, a Skywatcher Heritage 150p. I was at my parents' home in Germany where there always was a complete cloud cover at night for a few days. But during the day it was better, so first light was the sun, and my profile pic is a photo I took of that (using a sun filter which I tinkered from sub filter foil).

I had resolved to finally get a telescope after more than a year of stargazing with binos, Olympus 10×50 Trooper DPS I, which were available at an ok price here in Kenya where I live. Those, in turn, I got after taking part in the monthly "Star Safari" run by the Travelling Telescope. They have a 14" Dob, and sometimes other guests bring their own scopes along. Just do a web search on "travelling telescope kenya" to find their homepage and some articles about their amazing work. And if you ever come to Kenya, I highly recommend attending one of these Star Safaris, which take place a bit outside Nairobi with reasonably dark skies (Bortle 3 according to some light pollution maps), and not much farther out it gets better still. 

But back to myself, I ordered the scope with some additional eye pieces, filters, an m4/3 and a phone camera adapter to start experimenting around. I'm having great fun with it so far, especially since I'm back home in Kenya, just south of the equator. Orion is almost right overhead right now around midnight, and I managed to take a nice (according to me and my untracked mount, haha) pic of the nebula which I'm going to post in the astrophotography beginners forum. Otherwise I got views of the current planets, a lot of open and globular clusters, Andromeda, the Southern Cross and surroundings, and the LMC and its surroundings (though the latter not very clear as it's low in the sky and there's a neighbour's security light interfering, need to talk to them lol).

While deciding on a scope and accessories to buy, this forum was of great help (me just reading), so thank you all for your contributions! I'm very happy to be here.

• beecee likes this

#6156 NeroStar

NeroStar

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 25 January 2023 - 12:57 PM

Welcome to CN, Bivanus, Inkie, Eamonn, Gary, Frisko Flash, David, Jeff, Richard, Amir and beecee! 

Sorry to hear about your dog, Amir.  Losing a beloved pet is the WORST, and I'm sure it's hard to observe without her by your side.  

#6157 AstroPepper

AstroPepper

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon Coast

Posted 27 January 2023 - 07:36 AM

I was looking for this kind of thread! Waves to all Hello everyone we (wife & I) just joined and started our journey a few days ago.

In Oregon coast with good dark skies (Bortle 4) not counting the annoying bright street light across the street and when the marine push comes in but otherwise very good. We can travel short distances for optimal dark viewing so we do have that. 

Thank all those who have welcomed us already in other threads and given many suggestions and tips (bows) We hope to be here a long time learning and sharing with all of you. Clear Dark skies to all of you.

Edited by AstroPepper, 27 January 2023 - 07:38 AM.

#6158 AstroPepper

AstroPepper

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 January 2023 - 07:47 AM

Hello,
I’m Rocky in Portland, OR.

Hi Rocky! We need to eventually start or join a club not any on the coast! Closest for me is Salem  frown.gif

#6159 NeroStar

NeroStar

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 January 2023 - 08:42 AM

Welcome to CN, AstroPepper!

#6160 SkyDuke82

SkyDuke82

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 January 2023 - 09:23 AM

Hello everyone my name is Josh I’m 40 years old from Alabama and I have been interested in Space and Astronomy ever since I was a child, I’m also an Artist and Photographer and recently bought a 8 inch go-to telescope to upgrade from 6 inch celestron 130 alt azm, and I’m hoping to blend my love of photography with my love of astronomy and begin my journey into astrophotographery. I look forward to learning from everyone here and being a part of this community and hopefully sharing some beautiful pictures some day

#6161 AstroPepper

AstroPepper

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 January 2023 - 12:08 PM

Welcome Josh. Fellow newb here also. Race you to great pictures! tongue2.gif

#6162 NeroStar

NeroStar

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 January 2023 - 02:04 PM

Hello everyone my name is Josh I’m 40 years old from Alabama and I have been interested in Space and Astronomy ever since I was a child, I’m also an Artist and Photographer and recently bought a 8 inch go-to telescope to upgrade from 6 inch celestron 130 alt azm, and I’m hoping to blend my love of photography with my love of astronomy and begin my journey into astrophotographery. I look forward to learning from everyone here and being a part of this community and hopefully sharing some beautiful pictures some day

Welcome, Josh.  Good luck in your astrophotography journey!

#6163 Jword808

Jword808

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 January 2023 - 09:03 PM

Josh,

I suggest you start going through posts here in the beginner's forum, and soaking in as much information as you can. Also, YouTube has tons of vids about beginning astronomy, and differences/strengths/advantages of different scope designs. Look for and join an astronomy club too. Houston's the 4th most populous city in the U.S., and home to so much space-related history, so I'm sure there's a club that thrives around there. You may be able to attend a local star party, and get some hands-on experience looking through the various scopes and eyepieces used by other club members.

Regarding the AVX: It's a capable mount (I also own one, and use it with my refractors), but the payload capacity is only about 29 pounds, so when you choose a scope, your optical tube assembly (OTA) should weigh no more than 12 to 15 pounds (and 15 is pushing it, honestly) maximum. There are two reasons for this. First, Celestron's rated maximum payload is hopelessly optimistic. Even when well-balanced, placing nearly 30 pounds of gear on that mount will make for shaky viewing, and will put excessive wear on your mount's drive motors and gears. Second, you will most likely eventually begin to add other items to your mount/scope, such as dew heaters, finder/guide scope, photo equipment, battery packs, eyepieces/filter sets, etc. So when you do select a scope, leave yourself some wiggle room for accessories.

Of course, opinions are like A-holes, and this A-hole would probably start with a 6-8 inch SCT, or a Maksutov for visual observation. A 80 to 100mm refractor wouldn't be a bad choice either. If youre going to be viewing close to the coast, a closed tube design would keep dew and salt out. The only mistake you can really make is jumping the gun and buying a scope that isnt suited for the tasks and goals you want to accomplish.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

#6164 Jword808

Jword808

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 January 2023 - 09:06 PM

Thanks NeroStar!

I’ve since acquired an 8” SCT as recommended and lucked up on a 10” dobsonian as well.

I’ve enjoyed some good sessions here at home and also been to several dark sky locations. I’m having a blast with it and appreciate the welcoming!

Clear skies
  • NeroStar likes this

#6165 Pirate

Pirate

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 January 2023 - 05:51 AM

ALL THE GEAR AND NO IDEA.

That sums me up.

G'Day All,

I am from Down Under - Sydney, Australia.

Encouraged by some result with a simple tripod and DSLR over a period I decided to do some research and it lead me to going all in. I will try to attach the photo I took with the above.  Far from perfect but was the image that made me want to go further.

I have bitten off far more than I can chew but am hungry and determined and still have all my own teeth.

My "all the gear" includes an EQ6r-Pro with an ASI Air Plus and 120mm 30f4. guide scope. Staying with my DSLR and lenses and lenses for the time being to see if I can get some results.  Coming from a photographic background I am hoping this might help me a little (lot).

MB 06 Mike Sea 221226 Astro Gibbon Beach Orions belt top.jpg

Image above was about 30x1s exposures and following a YouTube video for the processing.

Thank you for having me.

VERY happy to take on board and thoughts and ideas.

• BobSoCal likes this

#6166 NeroStar

NeroStar

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 January 2023 - 01:37 PM

ALL THE GEAR AND NO IDEA.

That sums me up.

G'Day All,

I am from Down Under - Sydney, Australia.

Encouraged by some result with a simple tripod and DSLR over a period I decided to do some research and it lead me to going all in. I will try to attach the photo I took with the above.  Far from perfect but was the image that made me want to go further.

I have bitten off far more than I can chew but am hungry and determined and still have all my own teeth.

My "all the gear" includes an EQ6r-Pro with an ASI Air Plus and 120mm 30f4. guide scope. Staying with my DSLR and lenses and lenses for the time being to see if I can get some results.  Coming from a photographic background I am hoping this might help me a little (lot).

attachicon.gifMB 06 Mike Sea 221226 Astro Gibbon Beach Orions belt top.jpg

Image above was about 30x1s exposures and following a YouTube video for the processing.

Thank you for having me.

VERY happy to take on board and thoughts and ideas.

Looks like you're already set for AP!  Welcome to CN and happy star hunting!

• Pirate likes this

#6167 jimmydemello

jimmydemello

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Kunming, CN

Posted 30 January 2023 - 10:04 PM

I am an American living in Kunming, CN with my Chinese wife. Retired programmer. Living in a 30 floor apartment building and I go to the roof to observe with a little 90mm Bresser 500fl refractor mounted on a video tripod and Sparta mount.

Not a lot of observing experience and have really just begun months ago. Light pollution here is awful, especially with New Year festival firewords.Like observing Saturn and Jupiter lately and will get into DSOs more when the planetary season is over. Interested in finding out what I can do with mobilephone as I have no DSLR.

Very new to this hobby but am a bit smitten.

#6168 NeroStar

NeroStar

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 31 January 2023 - 09:28 AM

I am an American living in Kunming, CN with my Chinese wife. Retired programmer. Living in a 30 floor apartment building and I go to the roof to observe with a little 90mm Bresser 500fl refractor mounted on a video tripod and Sparta mount.

Not a lot of observing experience and have really just begun months ago. Light pollution here is awful, especially with New Year festival firewords.Like observing Saturn and Jupiter lately and will get into DSOs more when the planetary season is over. Interested in finding out what I can do with mobilephone as I have no DSLR.

Very new to this hobby but am a bit smitten.

Welcome to CN, Jimmy.  I've seen some pretty impressive AP results with cell phones considering their limitations.  It's not going to match a dedicated AP camera, but it's good for casual planetary and moon shots.  If you don't already have one, a cell phone 'cradle' mount will help.  Anyway, good luck and starry skies!

#6169 Bruno Martens

Bruno Martens

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Ostend, Belgium 51.2N 2.9E

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:53 AM

Hi all,

Cleaning the attic and finding a plastic refractor from way back, got me excited for the stars again.

Restarting with binoculars and a 130/650 reflector, looking for good advice here.

Greetings from Ostend, Belgium!

Bruno

• NeroStar likes this

#6170 NeroStar

NeroStar

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 01 February 2023 - 09:53 AM

Welcome to CN, Bruno, and welcome back to astronomy!.  Clear skies!  

#6171 BobSoCal

BobSoCal

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Yucca Valley, CA, USA

Posted 01 February 2023 - 01:23 PM

Interested in finding out what I can do with mobilephone as I have no DSLR.

If you don't already have one, a cell phone 'cradle' mount will help.

I love the Celestron NexYZ cradle. I imagine many see it as the "Cadillac" of mobile phone mounts. I hope this doesn't violate the rules which I read long ago.

Also, take lots of pics and "stack" them in a stacking program, of which there are several.

Edited by BobSoCal, 01 February 2023 - 01:24 PM.

• NeroStar likes this

#6172 Tomba2023

Tomba2023

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 February 2023 - 01:51 PM

Hi;

Allow me to introduce myself.  My name is Tom Barnes AKA Tomba of www.tomba-images.com , I'm a Sports photog based in East Troy, Wisconsin shooting mostly professional boxing and MMA for various promotors as their staff photographer.  I have no gig's setup till the third week in February so it seemed like a good time to tackle a project that I have been putting off for twenty plus years. I'm rebuilding / cleaning up my Dad's 50 plus year old Celestron 8 orange tube f10 S/N 3376 . Please note "I know nothing" about Astronomy or telescopes so I'm going having somewhere to review information and ask question's is a God Sent .  Thank you for allowing me to join.

#6173 steelholder

steelholder

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 February 2023 - 05:44 PM

Hello all! New guy from California hoping to learn a lot.

#6174 pcoach4u

pcoach4u

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Far Northern California, USA

Posted 01 February 2023 - 10:07 PM

smile.gif Howdy, My name is David.  I have actually been a member of CN since about 2013 I think, but not active for awhile. My job changed and could not attend my local chapter club meetings and interest waned. Now I am back and ready to explore. I am a newbie. I live in Mount Shasta with excellent viewing. Gets cold and snow here. Looking to probably eventually do some astrophotography, but not in a hurry. Looking at a scope  purchase soon. Current budget probably around $2,000 or so. All input welcomed! 

Glad to be back!

#6175 NeroStar

NeroStar

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 February 2023 - 10:53 AM

Welcome to CN, Bob, Tom and David (In your case, welcome back)!  Clear skies for you all! waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics