•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Windows 10 and MaxIm

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:57 AM

The MaxIm Forum says they had no problems with the Windows 10 upgrade. 

I seem to be having a problem---and it may or may not have to do with Windows 10. Maybe somebody has some ideas.

A month or so ago, I went to Windows 10. Had some problems with my Lodestar Drivers, but reset them well enough.

MaxIm (5.15) appeared to be working as it always had. 

Last week some time, I removed the Windows 7 installation to free up storage.

I tried to open MaxIm this morning, and it wanted me to type in my registration license info. Did that. And it started but "analysis" submenu was grayed out, as were many functions in other menus. I closed the program, and next time I tried to open it, I needed to put the license info in again. Then I put the information into the help menu portion, but it still would not stick.

I reloaded MaxIm download (I had from years ago when I first downloaded it). Same problems.

Do I need to re-register the license? 

Any ideas?

Alex 

#2 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Skylab

• ****-

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:31 PM

I have MaxIm DL 6 and it runs fine on the Swindows 10 on my desktop, I used it the other night. Contact Diffraction Limited with that problem. Have your license ready if you have kept the receipt and you have kept up the subscription.

Joe 

#3 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:50 PM

Yeah, I have contacted DL.....THey have not gotten back yet. 

Alex

#4 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:00 PM

I think that you need to reinstall as administrator (may need a right click when you install) and it will stick, but there's no reason why getting rid of seven would have caused that problem. I've now updated 3 different win7/8 configurations, gotten rid of the old stuff and MDL runs on all of them fine. It's fair to point out that I'm running 6.10 but still I think something is not installed with administration privileges.

Rgrds-Ross

#5 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:14 PM

And mine was running fine also until I deleted the Windows 7 files.  (You know how 10 installs itself, but keeps the 7 around just in case you want to go back?)

Have you deleted your previous windows installation?

I'll give it an administrative try.

Alex

#6 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Soyuz

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:37 AM

is possible that the registry got deleted?  if you have another MaxIm installed in another PC you can import the registry, that should fix the problem.

Hot Key local machine--->software---> wow6432Node---> replace a new Diffraction limited file registry from same location from another PC registry

:waytogo:

#7 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:34 AM

I tried the administrative route. No Joy. 

I deleted the whole installation, and re-installed from the old download. Also no joy.

I'll keep at it. 

No answer yet from DL itself. 

Alex

#8 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Soyuz

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:20 AM

Please try my suggestion and feedback :waytogo:

#9 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:03 AM

Thanks to Jose and the others who had some ideas here. 

I do not know which of them actually worked. I tried Jose's plan, but the registry items in my newer laptop matched those in my old. So, I do not know if that had anything to do with the improvement. 

I uninstalled MaxIm and reinstalled (again---I had done this before), and ran as an administrator.

And now it is happy. 

Again, thanks. 

Alex

#10 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Soyuz

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

Im glad it works! Ross already mentioned! :waytogo:

#11 vpcirc

vpcirc

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 28 October 2015 - 03:35 PM

Be careful many things are not compatible with windows 10 yet. I see it as Vista all over. I'm an early adoptor of tech, but not windows releases. I call 10 a pre-mature release trying to make ground in the tablet world at the expense of PC compatiblity. Got to ask yourself, when they've always charged for major upgrades in the past, what possible reason would they be giving this one away????

#12 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:09 PM

If you know of any specific incompatibilities that have to do with this hobby we'd like to hear about them. I've had no trouble using 4 different computers with any of my astro software and I upgraded immediately after the release came out. I made one of my computers part of the insider program for exactly this purpose - to test out all my software in advance of the release. In particular, the fast start up and shut down save me a few minutes with every observing session. I've not seen many (are there any?) reports of problems with drivers, etc. And remember there are always the compatibility modes if you really have trouble. What I have seen is that many folks are still running XP (can't blame them - it works) and if you go from that to Win10 some things are not going to work. They aren't exactly giving this one away, you have 8 more months and then you pay for it but it's getting hard to charge for OS upgrades when Apple keeps giving out free ones and linux lurks in the background.

Rgrds-Ross

#13 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:28 PM

>>>>>>f you know of any specific incompatibilities that have to do with this hobby we'd like to hear about them.

So far:

I had trouble with my MaxIm (5.15). It worked fine for three weeks after the upgrade. Then, after I cleaned out the old Windows installation, it would not work properly.  It was not as simple as just running as administrator. I tried that and it would start but not remember the password, and some of the functions (notable Pinpoint) were grayed out. I moved my old files from an old laptop to the new, ran as administrator, and it still not work. I uninstalled and reinstalled again and ran as an administrator again, and it did work. So, that may have been a glitch. But, as I said.....it is working now. 

I had trouble with my Lodestar drivers. A simple download and install remedied that. 

These are the only issues I have seen. However, both are now remedied. 

Alex

#14 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:33 PM

The upgrade didn't seem to cause your problems from what I'm reading, some cleanup weeks later was the culprit. Was the cleanup also responsible for your lodestar driver issue? (I have two Lodestar cameras and they worked as well as ever after my upgrades). I'd also be curious as to how you did the cleanup.

Rgrds-Ross

Edited by rgsalinger, 28 October 2015 - 11:33 PM.

#15 Per Frejvall

Per Frejvall

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:43 PM

Th eregistry fix has to do with 64-bit registry virtualization, and it is a common problem that actually surfaced in Windows 8. Windows 8 was the new Vista, while Windows 10 is the new Windows 7 (in line with the analogy above).

I have Maxim 5 and 6 running fine on my Windows 10 machines.

All the best,

Per

#16 vpcirc

vpcirc

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:47 AM

I can't recall each instance in regards to astro equipment, but I'll try to remember to point out issues as they occur. I think microsoft still doesn't get it, I don't want my PC to look or function like my phone. Apps are for phones, short cuts, start buttons are for my PC. I navigate the two totally differently. I guess I'm finally getting old enough they could care less :)

#17 Per Frejvall

Per Frejvall

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:44 AM

I agree, but 10 is OK. 8 was a total mess but 10 is OK. Most of the old stuff is there and even a more or less normal start menu à la W7.

/p

#18 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:51 AM

I haven't seen one astro app not work with Win 10 and I run the gamut from anything free I can get my hands on to the full CCDWARE suite and TSX Pro. Upgrading from 8 to 10 was about as seamless as it goes. But, I agree, I don't need my laptop to operate like my phone. 

#19 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:41 AM

>>>>>The upgrade didn't seem to cause your problems from what I'm reading, some cleanup weeks later was the culprit.

Yes, but cleaning up was, in my mind, part of the upgrade process.

>>>>>Was the cleanup also responsible for your lodestar driver issue? (I have two Lodestar cameras and they worked as well as ever after my upgrades).

Yes, the first time I used the Lodestar after the upgrade, it would not connect until I downloaded and installed new drivers. This was before the cleanup. 

>>>>>>I'd also be curious as to how you did the cleanup.

I cannot remember. I just finished the upgrade on my other laptop, and will give it three or four weeks, and then see what happens. If I recall correctly, the upgrade process said something that you have about a month before you need to decide on keeping ten, or reverting. If you keep, it is time to clean out the Seven. 

>>>>> I don't need my laptop to operate like my phone.

Yeah, All the little ikons and all are getting in the way. I immediately turned off much of that functionality in the Windows ten. Of course, these laptops are used only for imaging. I do not need news and contacts updated. I do not need them broadcasting my location, or shopping for me. As a matter of fact, I even keep automatic updates turned off because of limited bandwidth where I image. I do not want the computer going off to the internet to do things for me. I just need it to run SGP, PhD, and that is that.

Alex

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics