•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexus DSC user experiences?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#26 seattlepete

seattlepete

Viking 1

• Loc: Uh...seattle.

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:46 PM

I will try with my android tablet tonight.....sky safari observing list, save hopefully to micro SD and then into the Nexus.

Thanks.

#27 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:31 PM

I'm still enchanted with the Nexus.  If I only could get some clear skies!

Serge: Observing lists are stored in the unit in .db format?

If I create my own lists in a .db format, can they be uploaded to the Micro SD card, or is there a particular column sequence to follow?

#28 astrodevices

astrodevices

Vendor-Astro Devices

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:05 PM

I'm still enchanted with the Nexus.  If I only could get some clear skies!

Serge: Observing lists are stored in the unit in .db format?

If I create my own lists in a .db format, can they be uploaded to the Micro SD card, or is there a particular column sequence to follow?

Hello Don,

No, observing lists need to be in SkySafari's format. They can be generated using either SkySafari or observation planning programs like SkyTools, Astro Planner, Deep-Sky Planner. Some planetarium applications can also export observing lists in SkySafari's format.

There is however one limitation with those lists - the objects on the list must be present in one of Nexus DSC's databases (objects not present in one of the databases will be ignored).

Best Regards,

Serge.

#29 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:26 PM

Ah.

What about adding a new database?  Easier just to forward to you for a future update?

#30 astrodevices

astrodevices

Vendor-Astro Devices

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:43 PM

Ah.

What about adding a new database?  Easier just to forward to you for a future update?

Probably it is easier to forward me the data.

I can certainly make a utility that I use to create databases publicly available but it is not user friendly and it is a command line utility for Windows (I could probably build it for Mac OS X as well).

Best Regards,

Serge.

#31 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:44 AM

Understood.  Well, then adding observing lists is easiest.

And certainly with such a large database, finding things to look at is not hard. :lol:

#32 ireneusz

ireneusz

Lift Off

• Loc: usa, nj

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:15 PM

Excellent product. Push-to with dobs.12" +mobile SkySafari.

Love that setting. 

#33 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:59 PM

I now own 4 of them for concurrent use of several scopes when observing with family. Excellent product. I love how well the battery retains charge even when inactive for multiple months.

I have a Webster D14, a DM6, a FTQ, and a pair of FTX mounts all setup for with encoders to use with the Nexus DSC.

Edited by JMW, 22 March 2016 - 03:01 PM.

• George N likes this

#34 seattlepete

seattlepete

Viking 1

• Loc: Uh...seattle.

Posted 22 March 2016 - 04:59 PM

I'm receiving an encoder kit for my Z12 and I also use the Nexus with my AYO Digi 2.    Very nice unit!!!

Edited by seattlepete, 22 March 2016 - 05:00 PM.

#35 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Skylab

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:32 PM

I just got another unit today. Serge is just down the road, so he phoned me up. He is going to NEAF this year if anyone is interested, so you can meet him and buy your Nexus DSC from one of his U.S. dealers while there.

#36 scarubia

scarubia

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada.

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:59 PM

My only complaint is that it doesn't make espresso! Serge?

It works wonderfully on my scopes, one push to, the other with Starmaster's Skytracker goto system. Love the keyboard! Intuitive operation and the other things folks mention here. A no brainer if you need a new DSC.

Edited by scarubia, 22 March 2016 - 05:59 PM.

#37 astrodevices

astrodevices

Vendor-Astro Devices

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:22 PM

I thought about that but decided against it as it would require a much larger battery  :lol:

Best Regards,

Serge.

• George N likes this

#38 astrodevices

astrodevices

Vendor-Astro Devices

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:21 PM

I thought about that but decided against it as it would require a much larger battery  :lol:

Best Regards,

Serge.

#39 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:50 PM

I'm a bit confused. I see there's a Nexus and Nexus II. I assume they have no DSC capability and just take the info off of the SkySafari via WiFi?

#40 astrodevices

astrodevices

Vendor-Astro Devices

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:41 PM

I'm a bit confused. I see there's a Nexus and Nexus II. I assume they have no DSC capability and just take the info off of the SkySafari via WiFi?

Hello Don,

Sorry about the confusion.

Both Nexus and Nexus-II have a two star alignment built-in. However that is used only when Nexus/Nexus-II is coupled with a motor controller - ServoCAT or SiTech servo controller. It can be used in other cases but it is much easier to use SkySafari's two star alignment.

In all other cases SkySafari Plus/Pro is used as a DSC with a very nice interface. Nexus/Nexus-II provides a WiFi interface to encoders in that case. Also, the latest SkySafari Plus/Pro allows for up to 10 alignment stars.

Nexus DSC in difference to Nexus/Nexus-II is a fully featured digital setting circles computer that can be used standalone or with SkySafari Plus/Pro (when ordered with the WiFi option).

Best Regards,

Serge.

• Don W and George N like this

#41 Don W

Don W

• Administrators

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:55 PM

Ok, I almost have it. LOL

So can I use the Nexus or Nexus II with SkySafari Plus/Pro on my Televue Gibraltar mount that has encoders?

#42 astrodevices

astrodevices

Vendor-Astro Devices

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:57 PM

Ok, I almost have it. LOL

So can I use the Nexus or Nexus II with SkySafari Plus/Pro on my Televue Gibraltar mount that has encoders?

Hello Don,

Yes, you can use Nexus, Nexus-II or Nexus DSC with your Televue Gibraltar mount equipped with encoders. Nexus or Nexus-II require a smartphone/tablet running SkySafari Plus/Pro.

Best Regards,

Serge.

• Don W likes this

#43 Don W

Don W

• Administrators

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:06 PM

That's what I needed. Thanks again. So what is it about Sydney and excellent DSC systems? I met Gary Kopf (Wildcard, Argo-Navis) in my 1st trip down under in 2005 and went observing with him and Dave Kriege from Obsession in Coonabarabran. Spent 2 more weeks with him in 2007.

#44 yann

yann

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:42 AM

Love mine. I use it as a push to on my Mewlon 210 :

http://yfournereau.p...iels_astro.html

IMG 5466lt
IMG 5462

• rockethead26, havasman and outofsight like this

#45 Shopaholic

Shopaholic

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Bay, California

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:55 AM

Hello all,

instead of starting a new thread, as I was searching for an answer, thought would post in this old thread.

The 2 start alignment error is quite variable even with extreme precision. However still able to find objects! Last night tried the iPad WiFi alignment and able to track, but it did not show what the error was. Is it normal or did I miss something. Thanks 

#46 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:55 PM

The alignment error (warp factor) flashes on the screen of the nexus for a few seconds when you finish alignment on the 2nd star.

You can see it one of the menus as well.

Try a crosshair eyepiece--that helps.

Also try seeing if anything is loose, like the altitude pivot bolt, or if the mirror box is free to move laterally in the rocker box.

I was having horrible alignment errors until I tightened the altitude axis and used furniture pads to prevent any lateral motion of the mirror box.

I've gotten as low an error as 0.02 since then, where before it was difficult to get under 1.0.

Edited by Starman1, 09 April 2018 - 03:55 PM.

#47 astrodevices

astrodevices

Vendor-Astro Devices

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:38 PM

Hello all,

instead of starting a new thread, as I was searching for an answer, thought would post in this old thread.

The 2 start alignment error is quite variable even with extreme precision. However still able to find objects! Last night tried the iPad WiFi alignment and able to track, but it did not show what the error was. Is it normal or did I miss something. Thanks 

If you use SkySafari for the alignment then the alignment error is not shown on the screen. You can check it by going to Align->Alignment Status. You still need to perform the altitude reference when you use SkySafari for the two star alignment with Nexus DSC.

Best Regards,

Serge.

#48 Shopaholic

Shopaholic

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Bay, California

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:15 PM

Hi Serge, I did  start by doing the encoder check in the vertical position before doing the iPad 2 star alignment. I will  check today the alignment status as you suggested to see what the error is. Thanks.

#49 moshen

moshen

Apollo

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:24 AM

I really love my Nexus DSC but does it bother anyone else UI wise when scrolling alphabetically through a named list that the Up and Down arrows seem backwards in action? Meaning if I am at 'A' pressing down should go down alphabetically until 'Z'. Instead you press up arrow for that.

My mental model is such that the items are ordered A-Z from up to down so pressing Down arrow should move down the list not pressing Up.

Drives me crazy every time I use it. But I love everything else about it.

Edited by moshen, 11 April 2018 - 01:38 AM.

• Roger Corbett likes this

#50 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:33 AM

I agree with you, but try to remember that the UP arrow is the next object or catalog in the list, while the DOWN arrow is the last object or catalog in the list.

They should be labeled NEXT and BACK.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics