•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

White tube Celestron C5 info

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 Martin

Martin

Viking 1

• Loc: South Dakota

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:44 PM

I would take the corrector off very carefully and inspect the baffle tube to see if there is enough lube on it or maybe its completely dried out. When you remove the corrector be sure to notice any alignment marks so that you get it put back together properly. Mine has a red mark on the glass corrector and a red mark on the rim of the tube. If the baffle tube is completely dried out I would think you could add a little lube to it. Just be careful not to get any on your mirror. A little lube will go along ways. Then you will have to run the focus all the way to the left side until it stops and then all the way to right side until it stops so that the grease gets distributed evenly. Or perhaps something is binding in the focuser itself? Is the focuser shaft bent perhaps or maybe something is binding inside there?  Also, you could ask uncle Rod on the SCT forums what he thinks. He has lots of experience with SCT's. Hope you get it fixed.

Martin

• memento and Jacka6 like this

#27 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:48 AM

Your clicking feeling is more likely the ball bearing races in the focuser spindle.  Look on the side of the focuser knob for a recessed set screw.  loosen that.  Slide the knob off.

Then you can remove the three cap screws around the focuser shaft and get the cover off.  That will let you get to the bearing races and slide the mirror to the rear to see a bit of the threaded rod protrude out the back.

The bearing races and spindle are captive on the threaded rod with a little screw and washer or a C clip around the end of the threaded rod.  You can see that if you screw the spindle all the way back towards the rear cell of the tube while the cap and knob are off and the mirror is fully to the rear.

Note to keep the tube pointed upwards when you remove the spindle, most models had a clip around the baffle to keep the primary from sliding forwards off the baffle tube but not all or could be missing.

That typically gets you all the access needed to wipe old grease off the threaded rod and inside of the spindle.  Dripping a little 3 in 1 oil between the two ball bearing races and spinning relative to each other also helps.

When re installing, don't over tighten the cap screws on the spindle and do them round robin while checking for feel of the focuser as you go, getting it centered and not binding is a bit of trial and error.  Also leave a little clearance when you reinstall the knurled knob as that can add a rough feel if it is up against the bearing race.

Dave

• Martin, memento and Bagwell like this

#28 Jacka6

Jacka6

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 January 2022 - 08:40 PM

The front glass on my white tube c-5 is cracked, can I find a replacement.

#29 Jacka6

Jacka6

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 January 2022 - 02:23 PM

Is ther any source for replacement of the corrector plate?

#30 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 17 January 2022 - 12:48 AM

I have one of the White C5 (pro's) with the original plastic carrying case. The optics are better than any other C5 I have owned OR looked through.
Zero image shift, Corrector, and Mirror Starbright coatings are wonderful.
My scope runs off of a single 9v DC battery, It has a hand control AND dec motor.
  I would love to find a table top tripod for it.
If you have a chance to buy one, GRAB IT! Early C5's have great optics (smooth orange paint) but the Starbright coatings case, and ability to adjust the tube with accys by sliding the tube, the fairly massive single arm plus adjustable weight (to counter the single arm) was a Celestron Grand Slam!
  OH YEAH! The cheap batteries last a long, long time! 

Thanks for reading this.... But to be very honest.... I love the C5..
Duane

• Bomber Bob likes this

#31 Jacka6

Jacka6

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 January 2022 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for feedback I have been trying to decide about sending mine to Celestron to get Corrector plate fixed and was concerned I would be better off looking for a replacement
It is so nice to have a lightweight scope that has such good optics
Jack

#32 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 17 January 2022 - 01:09 PM

The Celestron Experts will have to chime-in...  but, I don't think you can simply swap correctors, and get the same performance as the original.  Is the secondary mirror OK?  That'll help, as it's more critical.

#33 Borodog

Borodog

Soyuz

Posted 17 January 2022 - 03:55 PM

The front glass on my white tube c-5 is cracked, can I find a replacement.

This might sound crazy buuuut . . . How cracked is it? Like, in danger of falling to pieces? If not, you might be better off just leaving it. Get some matte black paint and a small paint brush from a model or hobby shop and just paint over the crack. You will never notice the difference optically.

#34 Jacka6

Jacka6

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 January 2022 - 04:39 PM

Thanks will give it a try

#35 Martin

Martin

Viking 1

• Loc: South Dakota

Posted 17 January 2022 - 06:16 PM

Yes, Borodog might be right. Try using it and see how bad it is. The only other option I can think of is to send it to Celestron and they will replace the optics. Probably the mirror as well. Not sure if just replacing the corrector would be an option. You would have to check with Celestron.

Good luck. 

Martin

#36 Jacka6

Jacka6

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 January 2022 - 07:38 PM

Thanks kind of afraid what the cost would be at Celestron. They do not want to give me any estimate of min max
Jack

Edited by Jacka6, 17 January 2022 - 07:39 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics