•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Just got my QSI 683!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 tianzi9088

tianzi9088

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:38 AM

Hi folks,

So humm...I just received my QSI WSG683 from OPT yesterday.(Again, many thanks to Tanya and Rod for helping me placing the order)

I try to install the drivers for the first time, and since I've never owned a QSI  before so that I follow the instruction step by step.

After installing the camera software came from the CD-ROM, the instruction asks me to plug in the power and wait for flash green light and so I did.

However, the camera status indicator did not go the way as expected. :( So, what is happening:

1)I plugged in the power supply into the camera by using a normal wall outlet. After having a few seconds flash green light, it starts to beep at 3 times a row, like beep-beep-beep-------------beep-beep-beep-------------and with red flash light.

2)I don't know what that means and plug the USB cable. And windows new hardware found pops out and it does show QSI 600.

3) But right after that, the camera light goes off and windows lost connection.

4) When I try to start it all again, the camera status indicator just turns solid orange and few more seconds later, the light goes off. 

I've totally no idea what is going on. I did follow the procedure as the instruction says: install the software before plugging in power cable and USB to computer.

I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my procedures or the camera is defected. Hope someone could help me out with this. I mean, it's a $4k camera, right? :bawling:

Edit: I think I should've done more research before posting my question here. So I look up the Camera Soft Error State Indication and find this: 1 flash red + 4 flash yellow: The camera DC supply voltage is above the 14V maximum recommended operating level. This sequence will repeat every four seconds until the supply voltage is lowered below this threshold. 

But I've tried both wall outlet and DC power hub, the error sill remains. Is there something else I need to buy to solve this? Many thanks! 

Clear Skies,

Roger

Edited by tianzi9088, 07 November 2015 - 12:44 PM.

#2 StuartF

StuartF

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:37 PM

You're best bet is to ask QSI directly.  Send them an email at support@qsimaging.com and one of the guys there will help you out.  You can also call them during business hours.  Dave has helped me several times about various issues.  

You can also put in your issue directly to their website and it will automate an email for you

http://qsimaging.com/contactqsi.html

Stuart

#3 tianzi9088

tianzi9088

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:51 PM

You're best bet is to ask QSI directly.  Send them an email at support@qsimaging.com and one of the guys there will help you out.  You can also call them during business hours.  Dave has helped me several times about various issues.  

You can also put in your issue directly to their website and it will automate an email for you

http://qsimaging.com/contactqsi.html

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for replying. I just send an email to OPT tech support. But I'm also going to send QSI an email regarding this issue.

It seems so weird to me because all my other applications work fine with those power supplies. It's been driving me crazy this morning, but anyway it's cloudy here, i still have time. :crazy:

Roger

#4 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximénez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Administrators

Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:05 PM

Rats.

Definitely work with QSI. I mean, I love OPT, but this is a QSI tech-support issue. On the other hand, if you even think that you may need to return it, get OPT into that loop, quickly.

#5 tianzi9088

tianzi9088

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:25 PM

Rats.

Definitely work with QSI. I mean, I love OPT, but this is a QSI tech-support issue. On the other hand, if you even think that you may need to return it, get OPT into that loop, quickly.

Hi Ken,

Totally agree with you. I'll wait for their response. Even though I'm having this little issue with the camera, I still have faith in both OPT and QSI.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna return the camera or not since it's soft issue and probably I'm able to fix it by myself, but I'll still stick to this camera.

I mean, how bad could it go, I think I can get a replacement if it's really a defective, right?  :)

Roger

#6 StuartF

StuartF

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:19 PM

Yes, if the camera is truly defective, then QSI will send you an RMA. 

#7 Adam E

Adam E

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:53 PM

Just to confirm, are you powering the camera with the AC/DC converter that came with the camera?

#8 Renae Gage

Renae Gage

Apollo

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:14 PM

QSI service is great.  Ditto for OPT.  Frustrating to not get up and running right away, but this is going to turn out fine.

No worries (and I love my 683).

#9 tianzi9088

tianzi9088

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:40 AM

QSI service is great.  Ditto for OPT.  Frustrating to not get up and running right away, but this is going to turn out fine.

No worries (and I love my 683).

It won't stop me. I'm trying to be a positive guy haha.

Just to confirm, are you powering the camera with the AC/DC converter that came with the camera?

Yes, I'm using the converter came with the camera. It seems weird that most problems happened to me are related to power issue. It happened to my atlas eq-g as well until I bought the 12AC/DC converter from Orion.

#10 jaddbd

jaddbd

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:42 AM

Adam E, on 08 Nov 2015 - 6:53 PM, said:

I was wondering the same thing - QSI is pretty adamant about the that.  If you ever measure the actual voltage output of your power "bricks" you might be surprised how much they differ from the listed spec.

John D

#11 tianzi9088

tianzi9088

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:29 PM

I just sent a video of the flash lights to the tech support.
And here is the pic of power adapter.
Again, thank you all for looking into my problem. Million thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• image1.JPG

#12 tianzi9088

tianzi9088

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:19 AM

Just an update about this particular camera. :foreheadslap: I 'v got replies from both OPT and QSI, I really appreciate them: all lovely people, :D I was advised to test the power from the power supply, remove the filter wheel cover to check if the central wheel lock is tight enough. So I went to home depot(actually I asked my friend to do it cause I was at work :lol: ), bought a multimeter, and tested it. Please see the result at the attachment. Then I opened the filter wheel cover(actually it was quite easy to someone with no experience of QSI camera), tightened the central silver lock as the user guide advised, put the cover back and fired up the camera: as always, solid yellow light, a quick "chirp" sound and then I heard sounds of rotating filter wheel, I guess it probably rotates one round clockwise and one counterclockwise. After that, two quick "chirp" sounds and both fans starts to work, the indicate starts to flash green, but 4 seconds later, it starts to flash one red and four yellows as well as beeps at one long and four shorts, this pattern repeats around every 4 seconds. BUT this time, I also plug in the USB cable(indicator stays solid green) and open the firmware updater(indicator flashes yellow). On the screen, it shows:

Model: 683ws

Manufactered On: 08/04/15

Firmware: 07.01.01

FPGA Config: 0.2.1.2

PCB Version: 10.00.00

After about one minute, the connection loses and the indicator lights off. I think I'd better stop here before done any damages to the camera. I haven't head any followups from QSI yet, probably they are having veteran's day off as I am. Meantime I'm planning my next scope(when I received this camera I noticed it's very heavy, I attached it to my ES80ED which is mounted as L-bracket and no matter how, the camera side is always the heavier side. I know there are bunch tube weight system out there, but hey, I've upgraded from Orion G3 color to QSI 683wsg, why don't I just upgrade my Explore Scientific 80ED to something like new AT115EDT(thanks Fred, 130 weighs too much for my Atlas Eq-G) or a TPO 8'' RC, or the great looking WO 102GT? Or even something fancier like FSQ106EDIII when I go to Hk next time and grab one?(my credit card: yeah! why not!) I don't have plans for upgrading my mount yet because I like my atlas kind of weight. I have a Meade LX200 10'' in Shenzhen and I had barely used when I got about ten years ago(but also with that, I first time saw the Jupiter and Saturn, which seemed amazing to me as a city kid). To be honest, with all the money I'm making right now, astrophotography is NOT one of those hobbies that I can afford.  :bawling: But so what, I just like it. 

Clear Skies,(winter is coming to Boston)

Roger

Attached Thumbnails

• image1.JPG

Edited by tianzi9088, 11 November 2015 - 09:27 AM.

#13 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximénez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Administrators

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:10 PM

Agreed, QSI and OPT are both great companies with nice people. I would, however, have just returned it by now. Neither firm pays me enough to do warranty work on my own camera.

#14 WesC

WesC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:27 PM

Agreed, return it for a working model and let OPT send it back to QSI for repair.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics