•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pier-Tech TeleStation 5?

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#51 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:27 AM

Pics??? :)

Lots. Unfortunately I can't get them to post directly from my iPhone 😫.

Tan veer, you could totally figure this out. The only pieces that aren't straight from the catalog is the roof and the mounting setup to bolt the garage door opener to the wall/roof.

I think I can get it operational tonight. We'll see!

#52 torsinadoc

torsinadoc

Apollo

• Loc: Fayetteville AR

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:28 AM

Do you feel the equipment will be secure? I have no neighbors and am off the road. Its hard to tell how sturdy the door is from images.

Alan

#53 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:21 PM

No. It's not. The doors come off with 3 Allen wrench screws. I need to figure that one out. 😐

#54 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:58 PM

Added the door stops and the door is definitely better off. But, it's still held on with Allen bolts.. Which you
Could just remove and remove the door. I dunno what you
Could do to fix that.

I got a lot done today. The shed has power and it is smoothly moving. I need to finish drilling all the tie downs and install the scope/computers/cameras tomorrow.

Should be fun!

#55 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Vanguard

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:58 AM

You said:

But, it's still held on with Allen bolts.. Which you Could just remove and remove the door. I dunno what you Could do to fix that."

Hmmmm.

Where there is a "Allen Bolt", you have a hole started. Drill through. Use Nuts and Holts to secure the door. All a steel "plate" (available at a hardware store" on the inside to provide strength. Use "aircraft" or "locking" nuts on the inside.... also available at a hardware store.

Be sure to use "carriage bolt" type bolts that do not provide a wrench head....

#56 Chucke

Chucke

Viking 1

• Loc: AZ

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:44 PM

Try something like these

http://www.mcmaster....screws/=13trynb

#57 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:50 PM

I can't drill through the frame. That'd be good, but it just isn't going to happen. Any other ideas?

Chuck,

Try what?

Chris

Edited by Raginar, 21 August 2016 - 08:52 PM.

#58 Chucke

Chucke

Viking 1

• Loc: AZ

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:36 AM

Sorry.  I guess the link didn't work right.  You could try the Tamper Resistant Button Head Socket Cap Screws.  Look at the bottom of the page in the section of button head screws. They are like an Allen head screw except with a pin in the center.  You use a special Allen wrench to install them.  On the same page are similar screws that use a special Torx driver or a high security version that uses a special non symmetrical wrench.  I have seen the Allen versions used in public restrooms to attach the partition walls between stalls.

• Raginar likes this

#59 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:06 PM

Chuck,

That's awesome! Good idea!!

#60 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:30 PM

Roof is moving 🙃.
  • torsinadoc likes this

#61 jerryyyyy

jerryyyyy

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stanford, California

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:00 AM

Hello everyone, Have my observatory in hand!  Starting the complex install this weekend. 

Chris, think you recommended using silicone on every joint as you install.  Is that the common practice.  Seems logical to me. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Truck.jpg

Edited by jerryyyyy, 17 September 2016 - 01:08 PM.

#62 jerryyyyy

jerryyyyy

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:59 PM

Parts up on the roof. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_17601.jpg
  • Overview.jpg

Edited by jerryyyyy, 17 September 2016 - 07:03 PM.

• torsinadoc likes this

#63 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

Posted 18 September 2016 - 01:00 PM

I dunno if it's common, but I don't have any leaking :).  I got the advice from a telestation 3 guy in Panama City.

#64 jerryyyyy

jerryyyyy

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 September 2016 - 09:27 AM

Thanks for the reply Chris,

Well, worked a lot yesterday and here we are up.  Today will get the motor running I hope.  I siliconed all the roof connections :)  Looks like the rectangle on top will need a heavy dose. 

I could have arranged things a bit better on the inside as I did not plan for the 1' taken up by the roof motor!  It is OK as I was advised not to raise the scope above where it could be hit by a rogue roof closure.  So top of the scope will always be below the rood edge.  In that situation it misses the motor by 2". 

The motor control panel lights up but I cannot test it until we properly affix the roof edges to the ramp. 

Chris, is there any Pier-Tech support group anywhere?  Looks like my controller will run to the computer via a serial port USB converter and I have the drivers, but flying the the seat of my pants here. 

Cheers,

JY

Attached Thumbnails

• Box_Up.jpg

#65 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:36 PM

Hey Jerome,

No. I haven't found a user group or a website for Pier tech owners. All the advice I've received has been from one guy in Panama City and what I've been able to glean (not much) from forums.

Did you get the cheaper controller or the really expensive one? I could show you my setup. I have IR sensors to make sure it won't close on the scope. It's pretty easy to do. I use a foster systems roof controller too.

#66 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:12 AM

I have wire diagrams for the controller btw. If you need them.

#67 torsinadoc

torsinadoc

Apollo

• Loc: Fayetteville AR

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:15 PM

Are there concerns with post sale customer support for technical issues?
  • Raginar likes this

#68 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:49 PM

I haven't tried calling. I've got zero response via email. On the plus side all the parts are easily found online.

It is really slick and just works.
  • torsinadoc likes this

#69 jerryyyyy

jerryyyyy

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:24 PM

Well, I have the roof working back and forth using the "expensive" controller.  I called Vito and he responded from his personal cell and helped me with adjusting the sensors.  Basically works.  Their drivers allows me to hook it up to ACP and have been able to open the system from ACP but cannot close it as there are so many internal controls in ACP I cannot figure them out yet by myself... I have a thread over there.

I also have the matched pier.  Roof will not close unless pier down.  Sensor in pier. 

Will see what happens which I run the scripts to collect data tonight.  Collected images last night. 

For someone like me without a lot of time this just seems to work. 

I had 50 emails with Vito before I bought this.  Took longer to build than anticipated, but it is well-designed and as you can see just works... at least so far. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Roof_Open.jpg

Edited by jerryyyyy, 20 September 2016 - 08:30 PM.

• torsinadoc likes this

#70 jerryyyyy

jerryyyyy

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:48 PM

Today I have the roof working from ACP.  Talked to Vito this AM and I am missing a cable between the controller and the pier, which sends a fault to the controller when it tried to lower the pier.  If I clear this manually it closes from ACP after ACP parks the scope. 

• R Botero likes this

#71 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:53 PM

Looks good Jerome! I'm pretty happy with mine too.
  • torsinadoc likes this

#72 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:11 PM

Jerome, you should do a build thread and document everything.  I don't necessarily do it for people on here; I often take quite a few pictures of nit noid things as a reference.  It's really useful when things break or you need to remember why you did something.

#73 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:24 PM

As far as customer service is concerned, it can be good or bad for reasons that cannot be explained. I recently bought a pier. It arrived with the wrong plate for my mount. I got no response to email for about 3 days. Then I called and got Vito on the phone. He offered a new plate or to pay me to have one made. I had one made locally, and he refunded the cost, no questions asked. All in all I give him a B+ for service but it really looks to me as if email is not the way to go with Pier Tech. To amplify that, as I was putting the pier together (it's the one that goes up and down) there was no direction as to which of the three plugs in the controller to use. I called him at around 630 his time and got the answer. So, in the future I'd call rather than rely on email.

Rgrds-Ross

• Raginar and torsinadoc like this

#74 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:59 PM

Thanks Ross, good to know! I really appreciate it.

#75 jerryyyyy

jerryyyyy

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:45 PM

This is cross-posted from DC3 dreams hoping for a touch of insight here:

Have made considerable progress with the help of the folks at Pier-tech. This is I am afraid rocket science. My current status is that the roof opens and closes reliably using their control panel or their remote software, which communicates through COMM 16.

Where things get a but hairy is when I try to integrate this into ACP. If I engage Dome control the roof opens nicely but when it closes it first parks the mount (I like this as it parks well below the roof), then closes but then the system locks up. I am using APCC and APCC hangs solidly enough I have to reboot.

Things I have to learn include the scripting language and I am just using the standard shut down script that came with Expert Scheduler.

I do not want to divorce myself from APCC since that software gives me nice modeling slews and great guiding performance....

Any insights appreciated as I am about to go off the high dive into scripting (I think).

As I write this, probably a first step is to disable APCC and just do a direct connect to the mount with APC and see if everything closes correctly.

Thanks for the support here...

Attached Thumbnails

• Tak above small.jpg

• Raginar likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics