•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

INTES-MICRO M603 or TAL 200K ???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 March 2004 - 11:42 AM

Hi all,

New member here, about to get my first scope, after hundreds of cybernetique surf, came to this 2 last choices.

In your opinion wich one should i get, consedering performance/design/price

Really appreciate your help

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 March 2004 - 02:25 AM

nobody? really??

#3 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 14 March 2004 - 07:40 AM

It is a tough call. If you want to do 35mm film imaging, the Tal will not produce an image to fill the entire frame. And it cannot use 2" eyepieces for the same reason. This is not an issue for digital imaging. There is little information on the Tal 200K. The only one I have seen was on Cloudy Nights.

I have a M503 and really like it. It can take 2" eyepieces. And because of that it is a very versatile scope. I can go from 25X on up. The down side of the Mak is it must cool down.

The Tal is of course 2" larger. And has the benefit that those 2" bring. Being in Sweden you may have less of a dew problem with the Tal because it does not use a corrector. The scope should cool down better as well.

I have no idea about the quality of the Tal mount. But a good mount is very important. You can buy the best scope in the world, but it does not mean anything if you put it on a shakey mount.

As far as pricing, the Tal I understand is a complete package. The M603 is an OTA only. You will need to get a few accessories: eyepieces, diagonal, star chart, stool, etc. I would try to estimate the real cost of the M603.

But this is a tough call. What do you want to use this scope for?

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 March 2004 - 03:26 PM

Well, since i live in Stockholm, it´ll have to be used mostly on planets, moon , sun, comets, a few Messier´s and maybe some NGC´s, oh! and naked neighbors showering of course :-)

But once in a while i´ll bring it to the country to watch galaxies, clusters, stars, etc etc

ALAIN//

#5 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 15 March 2004 - 11:55 PM

Well, both these scopes have too long a focal length of comets. For deep sky, the 8" Tal will have the edge. For planets and the moon and sun, it would be close tie. But if you need to travel to the observing site, portability will be important. I'm not sure which would be lighter and easier to manage in the dark.

The Tal 200K is rare. Not many reviews, but the one I saw gave it high praise. The Intes Micro has a good reputation. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I think the biggest issue would be cool down of the OTA since you are in Sweden.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 March 2004 - 03:26 AM

I don´t believe it !
Now that i was more or less decided on the M603, just found out that the M615 is coming out anytime now...the M615 will be:
150/2250/f15 approx same size and weight and price.
Should be quite a good scope on planets i guess.

#7 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 17 March 2004 - 04:21 AM

Yes, the slower focal ratio will give better high-power views. I would assume the secondary would be smaller, so the contrast would be improved. Downside would be on low power views which are better for deep sky.

You can do some number crunching to decide which will be more useful. Find out magnification and exit pupil for a given set of eyepieces.

Magnifiction = Scope focal length / eyepiece focal length
Exit pupil = eyepiece focal length / focal ratio of scope

There is going to be a limit to magnification because of sky conditions and object brightness. I can rarely go over 200X on the planets, but I've been up to 370X on the moon. With deep sky targets I use between 25X and 100X most of the time.

Before I bought my first scope, I didn't realize the benefits of being able to use low powers. And while the f/15 version looks very tempting, the f/10 may be more versatile. I originally was going to get an Intes MK-67, but before I did, I bought an 80mm f/5 refractor to play with. The first thing I noticed was how little of the sky I could see. This was only a 400mm scope, I could not imagine what 1800mm would be like. I then decided to by the M503 and I am very happy with that. Now I use the M503 and 80mm side by side on a GEM. It is a very nice combination.

Of course another solution would be to get the f/15 Mak and mount a wide-field refractor next to it. That way you can buy more stuff.

By the way, what are you going to mount it on? The mount can be more important that the OTA.

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 March 2004 - 12:58 PM

Thank you,or should i say "aligato" Wilash, for your comments.

You may be right, the M603 would probably allow more versatillity, but then again i live in town and will be using the scope from here, meaning that i would be observing mostly planetary/moon.

That´s why i am a little tempted by the M615, and the M615 will have less obstruction as well 25% v 36% i think it is.

But what your saying about exit pupil is of course a new argument to consider...god this is difficult! i´d never have thought getting a first scope would be so complex...

As for the mount, i thought i´d start with something simple,
EQ5/HQ5 since i´m not planning to photograph seriouslly w/it.(yet)

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 March 2004 - 11:14 AM

:bow: :bow: :bow:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics