•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pico-6 and Pico-8 - cutest little maksutovs ever!

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#176 andycknight

andycknight

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:27 AM

Hi,

A quick question if I may...

Is the 1.25" visual back removable on the Pico-6 ?? (i.e. does it unscrew)

I know you guys are going to hate me for saying this, but I'm wondering about using one with 0.965" eyepieces!! :blush:

(seems a better match [with regards to the compact size] to me)

Regards

Andy.

Edited by andycknight, 29 January 2017 - 06:27 AM.

• memento likes this

#177 eros312

eros312

Messenger

• Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:55 PM

Yes, it unscrews.
  • andycknight likes this

#178 andycknight

andycknight

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:50 AM

Thanks

Andy.

#179 Edwin

Edwin

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:30 AM

@ Omegon_tassilo,

Is there any progress on the autocollimation test? 

After years I'm still looking for the best travel scope. My Megrez with mount is too big. An earlier WO ZS70 showed to much colour and an earlier Celestron C70 was optically not OK and also lacked a possibility for attaching a finder. The Omegon 80 seems like a nice next trie.

#180 Classic8

Classic8

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Naperville, IL, USA

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:20 PM

@ Omegon_tassilo,

Is there any progress on the autocollimation test? 

After years I'm still looking for the best travel scope. My Megrez with mount is too big. An earlier WO ZS70 showed to much colour and an earlier Celestron C70 was optically not OK and also lacked a possibility for attaching a finder. The Omegon 80 seems like a nice next trie.

I wouldn't mind trying something like the Omegon 80. I have a 4" Mak but I'm not sure about the optical quality at this point, plus the 80 could go on just about any mount and might be very convenient for terrestrial stuff.

#181 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: Triton

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:20 PM

So where are we then with the following:

Cost of the 60mm mak and shipping to USA.

QUALITY of optics.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

#182 mwedel

mwedel

Goofing off

• Loc: Claremont, CA

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:36 PM

Regarding cost, it's probably fastest just to write to Mr. Kasai and ask. Mine was something like $160 shipped last year, but I haven't checked to see how the exchange rates have changed. Probably not enough to make a huge difference.

As for optical quality, I am very happy with mine. As I wrote here:

"The PICO-6 has a focal length of 700mm and a focal ratio of f/11.7, which makes it roughly equivalent to the 60mm refractors sold by any number of astro vendors. I actually tested the PICO-6 side-by-side with London’s 60mm f/11.7 Meade refractor. The refractor threw up a brighter image – no shock there, since it’s unobstructed and has no mirrors to reduce light-throughput. But much to my surprise, the PICO-6 was a hair sharper: it could resolve fine details and split close doubles beyond the reach of the refractor. The differences weren’t dramatic, but they were there."

#183 andycknight

andycknight

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:56 AM

mwedel, on 05 Feb 2017 - 12:36 AM, said:

As for optical quality, I am very happy with mine. As I wrote here:

Hi,

A very well written and thought out article... quite helpful indeed!

One Question, does the 32mm Plossl you were using, vignette when used on the Pico-6??

By "vignette" I mean does the edge of the FOV get "fuzzy" and black out completely, reducing the usable field to less than what the 32mm field stop can normally provide.

(I do like a hard and sharp field stop on my eyepieces. :))

I'm currently torn between a Pico-6 and a Omegon 60mm. From what I understand, they both come from the same original manufacturer. However reading here it appears the Pico-6 has a baffle removed, which may result in stray light/contrast issues and the Omegon (with this baffle) clips the light cone - reducing the effective aperture.

Hopefully the Omegon vendor will get back to us soon...

Regards

Andy.

#184 Edwin

Edwin

Messenger

• -----

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:40 AM

Any reports from someone on one of these cute maks, observations, other experiences ?

What strikes me is the price-difference in Europe between the Omegon and Kasai 80 mm. The Omegon sells for around Eur 140 ( incl. diagonal, eyepice and table-tripod) and the Kasai Eur 189 (bare OTA), that's a huge difference.

#185 telescopeguy238

telescopeguy238

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:27 PM

Aren't they the same scope?

#186 MortonH

MortonH

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:02 AM

Any reports from someone on one of these cute maks, observations, other experiences ?

What strikes me is the price-difference in Europe between the Omegon and Kasai 80 mm. The Omegon sells for around Eur 140 ( incl. diagonal, eyepice and table-tripod) and the Kasai Eur 189 (bare OTA), that's a huge difference.

Not sure where Omegon are based but Kasai are in Japan so you're paying the Japanese price converted to Euros. Then there's the possibility that Kasai consider their model superior and priced accordingly.

#187 MortonH

MortonH

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:03 AM

Aren't they the same scope?

Presumably the same optical set but not necessarily identical.

#188 MortonH

MortonH

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:07 AM

Having owned an Orion 90mm for a few weeks now I have to say I don't think I'd want to go to a smaller aperture in a Mak, even though these are ridiculously cute!

• Jaimo! and Terra Nova like this

#189 Edwin

Edwin

Messenger

• -----

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:47 AM

Omegon (Astroshop.de) dropped the price with Eur 20, I could no longer resist. An Omegon 80 mighty-mak is on its way.

• MortonH and gfstallin like this

#190 Exnihilo

Exnihilo

Apollo

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:55 PM

They would be appropriate for "tiny house" living, lol.

• Terra Nova and leemaisel like this

#191 Exnihilo

Exnihilo

Apollo

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:51 PM

It's spelled Lego. 

I actually built a model of a Vixen Polaris mount in Lego, when I was a kid. It helped me understand how equatorial mounts work. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Very nice!  I made a model of the Palomar 200 inch from an erector set when I was a teenager.  Now if I could have just had the mirror from that little Mak . . .

#192 Edwin

Edwin

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:35 AM

So, I received my Omegon Mighty Mak 80 yesterday. First impression: yup, a real scope, no toy. It is delivered as a full package including (steel) table tripod, nylon bag and (el cheapo) diagonal and K25 eyepiece. It is a very compact and light scope, ideal for grab-and-go and travellling.

Fit-and-finish is OK, what you can expect from a chinese telescope these days. Focusser is OK, smooth and no mirror-shift at all. At the bottom a Vixen-style dovetail with four holes for attaching a tripod and at the top a clamb for attachting a finder. At the back a removable 1,25" visual back with compression-ring. All very nice and no scratches or dust.

I have put the OTA on a First Horizon 8115 tripod and that is the perfect match for it: very sturdy and mobile. Looked to some houses and trees in the neighberhood with a Pan 24 (38x) in it. Everything OK, nice field of view with no signs of vignetting. Also tried a 16T5 and 11T6 with also OK views, snap-to-focus and not to dim. A big difference with the Celestron C70 mini-mak that I used to have: that scope dimmed out above 50x. The 16T5 showed a large amount of colour at the outer 5-10% of the field of view, result of vignetting I suppose. I've also compared the views directly with my 88mm FPL53 doublet and that scope shows a brighter and sharper image, as you can expect because of the lack of CO and the bigger aperture. I expected a little bit sharper image through the mak, but I have to check that further. If the weather cooperates the coming days, I will check the collimation and conduct a startest.

Happy for now !

Attached Thumbnails

• Mighty Mak 1 CN.jpg
  • Mighty Mak 2 CN.jpg
  • Mighty Mak 3 CN.jpg

Edited by Edwin, 12 April 2017 - 10:50 AM.

• ArizonaScott, MortonH, Live_Steam_Mad and 2 others like this

#193 thomasr

thomasr

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Greater Toronto

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:52 AM

So when do we get to see a picture of one of these on an eq-6 mount?

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk
  • andycknight and Augustus like this

#194 andycknight

andycknight

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:09 AM

EQ6?? - Way too unstable for the 80mm

Needs to be at least a Paramount ME lol.gif

Regards

Andy

• Augustus likes this

#195 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:46 AM

I had a little Lomo Astele 70mm Mak (the blue one with the star map on the tube) that was 'ridiculously cute' and small enough to fit in a shoebox, case and all. I gave it to my daughter who actually does live in a tiny-house and does a lot of camping and hiking. She loves it!

• Jaimo!, memento, andycknight and 3 others like this

#196 Edwin

Edwin

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:36 PM

The last two weeks had some clear evenings, so I could test the Mighty Mak. Long story short: I returned it today to the retailer.

As said in my previous post, the images at daylight objects were not as sharp as I expected. The views through my 3,5" APO were much and much sharper. Also the contrast was not overwhelming so to say, thereby strongly reducing its potential use as a spotting scope. This is being caused by, offcourse, the central obstruction, but also the shiny (little) baffletube and inside of the OTA. 

After these first impressions I checked the collimation and adjusted it, it was a little off. After that I've conducted some startests, using high quality eyepieces and diagonals (the included diagonal and K25 eyepiece are of low quality). The startests showed a large amount of coma (misalignment of the optical train?) and more spherical abberation then I wished for. It was very difficult to get sharp stars and a lot of fainter stars (e.g. in the Double Cluster) were 'missing'. Also the images missed brilliance and stars were very dull, not sparkling.

I decided to contact the retailer about my findings. The  answer I got  was that I'm expecting too much from this 'beginners-telescope', so swapping my OTA for another one wouldn't solve the problem. So, all-in-all I decided to go for the refund. Too bad, because with good optics, this could have been a nice travel-scope, although handicapped by its lack of contrast.

After my experiences with this Mighty Mak and a Celestron C70, I used to have, I will stay away form these tiny maks. Nice and compact, but optically not satisfying. Isn't William Optics coming with a nice 61mm FPL53 doublet this summer ?

Edited by Edwin, 25 April 2017 - 01:32 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics