•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PVS-4 Gen 3 Astronomy

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:45 AM

I wanted to put out some info on PVS-4's with MX11620 Gen 3 tubes. PVS-4 is a variable gain device. The trick to variable gain is being able to turn down the gain a little and greatly reduce noise. As a result, contrast is improved by the cleaner background space afforded by less background noise.

These are large devices and come with 4x catadioptric lenses with very good mirrors. The lens section can be completely removed though and an adapter put in place to fit various SLR lenses or a nosepiece fitted to go in a larger telescope able to balance heavy 2" eyepieces.

The tubes are 25mm and offer a much wider view than 18mm devices.

Adapters - c-mount adapter would need to be custom made. NAIT has designed a T2 adapter I just tested tonight. This is a flush fit adapter with deep enough threads to accomodate any T2 accessory.

The good - so close a fit that putting 2" nosepiece with 2" .5x reducer still leaves plenty of focus room.

The temporarily bad - SLR lenses do not come to focus as it is too close a fit

The solution - I used a 5mm + 10mm T2 extension coupled with T2 to Nikon F mount adapter. This put the 135mm F/2.8 lens I was trying right at perfect length to allow both close focus and infinity with spare focus room on either side of close or infinity. 

The Ability to add by extension to achieve focus is great, provided you have some extensions lying around like I did, or order some up. Much better to need to add vs out of luck because you can't take away length. This is a great adapter. Custom contoured to match the shape of the PVS-4 and uses the same screws that you take out to remove catadioptric lens. Anodized in black. 

I am going to email NAIT tomorrow to let him know this adapter coupled with some T2 extensions for SLR lenses or without for work in a scope with focal reducers, is a great design. Flexible and very professional looking.

These devices are very good for astronomy. They have enough oomph to handle narrowband filtering also. 

#2 jdbastro

jdbastro

Viking 1

• Loc: W. Coast

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:19 AM

Vondra,

Could you post a pic of this NAIT T-mount adapter, coupled to your PVS-4 midsection?

TIA.

-J

#3 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:37 AM

Sure. I had a T2 adapter that was too long to come to infinity focus but would focus in a scope, but no reducer could be used. I have the old one pictured with the bew one on the PVS-4

8FD68676-0A45-4F0A-8749-E9B8816E5654_zps

#4 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:39 AM

Here is top view

1288967F-AD7E-4FAB-9E41-4D667FF8708C_zps

#5 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:40 AM

When I put the 5mm + 10mm extensions on it, it was still a good deal shorter than the old one.

#6 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:45 AM

I have a c-mount adapter on my other gen 3 PVS-4 that has that 4" wide biocular eyepiece. It is close enough fit to use focal reducers also.

#7 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2015 - 04:02 AM

C-mount w/biocular eyepiece, T2 with SLR 135mm lens and extensions and monocular eyepiece (still has shutter guard on it while not in use)

0951F764-D359-415F-9342-869B8926CE4D_zps

Edited by Vondragonnoggin, 20 November 2015 - 04:03 AM.

• jdbastro and outofsight like this

#8 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:49 AM

NAIT did a good job on the adapter.  Very nice.  

Too bad there is not a ready supply of Gen 3 tubes because I think he could sell a very nice package.  The much larger true field offered by the 25mm tube would make it an attractive alternative or supplemental device.

Pleased to hear that you like the adapter.

Edited by Eddgie, 20 November 2015 - 08:49 AM.

• Vondragonnoggin likes this

#9 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:32 AM

Looks like a camera adapted a colleague designed for 3D printing! Looks a weighty blob too!

Cheers

Peter

#10 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:48 AM

Looks like a camera adapted a colleague designed for 3D printing! Looks a weighty blob too!

Cheers

Peter

Haha - most definitely a weighty blob! Think as much as a 31mm Nagler.

#11 StarMike8SE

StarMike8SE

Apollo

• Loc: Florida

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:44 AM

Great info.  Thanks for sharing

#12 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:30 AM

Credit to Eddgie for his discussions with Ken at NAIT to prompt this adapter build too!

Eddgie is highly influential to a lot of people! Ken and Kaleb at NAIT are going to be attending some star parties now. This is fantastic news for us that use night vision.

When you couple interest in astronomy with incredible knowledge of night vision, you get good results. 

This is why cnoct is awesome to have come around here giving valuable info all the time. Avid astronomer, incredible amounts of night vision knowledge!

Hopefully Ken and Co. will be zapped by the astronomy bug too.

#13 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:33 PM

Credit to Eddgie for his discussions with Ken at NAIT to prompt this adapter build too!

Eddgie is highly influential to a lot of people! Ken and Kaleb at NAIT are going to be attending some star parties now. This is fantastic news for us that use night vision.

When you couple interest in astronomy with incredible knowledge of night vision, you get good results. 

This is why cnoct is awesome to have come around here giving valuable info all the time. Avid astronomer, incredible amounts of night vision knowledge!

Hopefully Ken and Co. will be zapped by the astronomy bug too.

I did encourage Ken to go out and try some night vision astronomy in fact and I hope that he can rustle up a good Gen 3 PVS-4 tube and take it out to some star parties.   

He really stepped up and took a chance when he made 10 of these adapters.  It may take him years to sell them without getting some eyes on them.

Of course the money for him will not be in the Adapters, but rather if he can sell complete devices.

I am happy the adapter turned out so well.   It looks pretty great in the pictures.

• Vondragonnoggin and outofsight like this

#14 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:43 PM

He has a complete Gen 3 PVS-4 on ebay now for $1950. Add the $150 for the adapter and total $2100 is a great price for gen 3 PVS-4 with a ready to go T2 adapter. Just need people with scopes that don't have issues with something as heavy as a 31mm Nagler eyepiece.

#15 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:41 PM

Right.  The good news is that there are plenty of people with dobs that can handle heavy eyepieces.

If he goes out to a few star parties, he may both grow to appreciate astronomy, and expose people to image intensified astronomy.

That is a pretty good price if the tube is in good shape and what I really loved about it when I was working to develop the adapter was the really big field and the great eye relief.  It is very comfortable to use.

He needs to get them out in front of people

#16 cnoct

cnoct

Viking 1

• Loc: Hawai'i

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:13 AM

Nice systems VDN.

No other NV eyepiece has quite the physiological impact as a PVS-4 with those massive bi-ocular eyepiece, really let's those around know you mean business!

#17 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:31 AM

I like to think of it as a serious bowl of space soup....its about the size of a smallish bowl. Thats one unfortunately I probably will not take to an outreach event. The temptation to touch the big inviting glass would be too great for someone inevitably.

:wow:

https://www.youtube....h?v=NITBfc1EOBo

#18 Herr Ointment

Herr Ointment

Cosmos

• Loc: North of 64

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:10 PM

Space Madness takes many forms.

#19 cnoct

cnoct

Viking 1

• Loc: Hawai'i

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:29 AM

The temptation to touch the big inviting glass would be too great for someone inevitably.

It'll be Full facial contact for little ones!

Big ole snail trails depending on the snot level! 

The snail trails the little ones leave are well worth their reaction to the views, they just love looking into the celestial fish tank. 

• Vondragonnoggin likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics