•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Please Recommend me some Eyepieces! (Have a Nexstar 8SE)

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#76 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:12 AM

JMI makes counterweights that clip on the dovetail so you don't have to shove the scope so far forward when using a 2" diagonal and larger eyepieces.

pic: http://www.jimsmobil...ex_attached.jpg

That's good to know, but mine is balanced where it is so I don't need them. I know if I put a heavy camera on their I would, because I am pretty much all the way forward as it is. This is balanced with a astrozap dew shield on the front as well. As I also mentioned, it makes for better clearance of the longer focuser I installed. Which I highly recommend for anyone with this particular scope. The Feathertouch is a vast improvement over the stock focuser.

With regards to the focuser, I considered a Feathertouch but found this instead and saved myself over $250.  It provides the same functionality...

Focus Knob.jpg

• maugi88 likes this

#77 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• Loc: SE MN

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:17 AM

JMI makes counterweights that clip on the dovetail so you don't have to shove the scope so far forward when using a 2" diagonal and larger eyepieces.

That's good to know, but mine is balanced where it is so I don't need them. I know if I put a heavy camera on their I would, because I am pretty much all the way forward as it is. This is balanced with a astrozap dew shield on the front as well. As I also mentioned, it makes for better clearance of the longer focuser I installed. Which I highly recommend for anyone with this particular scope. The Feathertouch is a vast improvement over the stock focuser.

With regards to the focuser, I considered a Feathertouch but found this instead and saved myself over $250.  It provides the same functionality...

attachicon.gifFocus Knob.jpg

Is it as smooth as the feathertouch? I mean you can adjust the fine control with just the lightest roll of a finger, you don't even have to grip the thing. It's really remarkable how smooth they are.

Make? Model? Looks very compact. I still don't regret getting mine, I like it very much and it's worth every penny.

#78 fjh

fjh

Apollo

• Loc: Bessemer, AL 35022

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:27 AM

Dave, same question. What's it called and where did you get it?

Edited by fjh, 05 December 2015 - 11:28 AM.

#79 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

Yeah, I would like to know those things too as I asked in my previous post. Who makes it, what model is it and where did you get it. It's too late for me but others may be interested in the model you have Dave.

#80 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:46 AM

Is it as smooth as the feathertouch? I mean you can adjust the fine control with just the lightest roll of a finger, you don't even have to grip the thing. It's really remarkable how smooth they are.

Make? Model? Looks very compact. I still don't regret getting mine, I like it very much and it's worth every penny.

CN member ronpen makes them and sells them for $20 each.  

Like the Feathertouch (which I have used in the past), you can grab this knob and move it quickly for large focus but then, more importantly, you can simply touch it with one finger and gently move it back and forth to get fine focus.  It's large diameter makes this possible.   

• maugi88 likes this

#81 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:36 PM

Like the Feathertouch (which I have used in the past), you can grab this knob and move it quickly for large focus but then, more importantly, you can simply touch it with one finger and gently move it back and forth to get fine focus.  It's large diameter makes this possible.   

That's great! The maker really needs to raise their prices though. Not going to make any money that way. Still, what a great value and product. Thanks Dave. Does ronpen just make the 8SE model?

#82 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:54 PM

That's great! The maker really needs to raise their prices though. Not going to make any money that way. Still, what a great value and product. Thanks Dave. Does ronpen just make the 8SE model?

I don't know.  You'll need to contact him.  I agree it's a great deal for dirt cheap.  Here's a link to the ad he had in the classifieds a while back...

http://www.cloudynig...n-fine-focuser/

• maugi88 likes this

#83 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:13 PM

Thanks Dave. Hmm, that classified link makes me think that was a one off.

#84 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:29 PM

I don't think so.  As I recall he said he had made a few of them.  Best to contact him to see if he has any more

• maugi88 likes this

#85 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:37 PM

That is elegant, and simple.

You can make the same thing yourself with a block of styrofoam and an Exacto knife.

The key is to leave some of the regular knob accessible so fast focus can still be achieved.

Many years ago, I had a machined brass focus knob on my LX200 that was 2.5" in diameter.

It weighed so much it had a "flywheel effect"--you could spin it and it would continue to move until you stopped it with your fingers.

I had eyepieces that focused over an inch apart and I could go from one to the other in a couple seconds by flicking the knob.

FWIW, Starlight Instruments makes an elegant 2-speed focus knob replacement that is very nice, but expensive:

http://starlightinst...&product_id=244

#86 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

That is elegant, and simple.

You can make the same thing yourself with a block of styrofoam and an Exacto knife.

The key is to leave some of the regular knob accessible so fast focus can still be achieved.

Many years ago, I had a machined brass focus knob on my LX200 that was 2.5" in diameter.

It weighed so much it had a "flywheel effect"--you could spin it and it would continue to move until you stopped it with your fingers.

I had eyepieces that focused over an inch apart and I could go from one to the other in a couple seconds by flicking the knob.

FWIW, Starlight Instruments makes an elegant 2-speed focus knob replacement that is very nice, but expensive:

http://starlightinst...&product_id=244

Indeed this could easily be a home made item.  One interesting idea I read about was taking a couple (maybe three) zip ties and putting them on the focus knob.  You can still grab the knob for fast focus but then you can just push on either side of the zip tie to get fine focus with probably zero vibration.  

Yeah, that Feathertouch from Starlight Instruments is elegant but no way I could justify that cost.  lol

#87 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:04 PM

I don't think so.  As I recall he said he had made a few of them.  Best to contact him to see if he has any more

Ok, as I said I am happy with mine but it's nice to know this is available to the OP or others who've not replaced their stock focuser yet.

#88 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:45 PM

No, Ron will make more.  that ad (linked) was from the one I bought off him also so he most likely sold several under that ad.

Cheapest "useful" upgrade I've made to my 8" EdgeHD.

Mike

#89 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:25 PM

No, Ron will make more.  that ad (linked) was from the one I bought off him also so he most likely sold several under that ad.

Mike

So is this just a larger knob that fits right over the stock focuser knob? For some reason I was thinking it was an actual home made two speed focuser. Ok never mind, I guess the price is on point. I think it's a reach to say it's the same functionality as a feathertouch. Anyway, still a good improvement for better control on the stock focuser but not a two speed focuser. I can think of a couple ways to achieve this same effect without spending any money at all though. Sorry, I was confused everyone.

#90 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:25 PM

Mike

So is this just a larger knob that fits right over the stock focuser knob? For some reason I was thinking it was an actual home made two speed focuser. Ok never mind, I guess the price is on point. I think it's a reach to say it's the same functionality as a feathertouch. Anyway, still a good improvement for better control on the stock focuser but not a two speed focuser. I can think of a couple ways to achieve this same effect without spending any money at all though. Sorry, I was confused everyone.

Yes, it's only a knob but having used a feathertouch I STRONGLY disagree that it's a reach to say the functionality is the same.   In both cases, with one finger, you can make very small movements of the mirror.  

Sure, it doesn't look as cool as a Feathertouch and it won't impress like one either but hey, $220 is serious money to me. I'm not willing to spend that kind of dough to impress anyone.

#91 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:44 PM

Mike

Yes, it's only a knob but having used a feathertouch I STRONGLY disagree that it's a reach to say the functionality is the same.   In both cases, with one finger, you can make very small movements of the mirror.  

Sure, it doesn't look as cool as a Feathertouch and it won't impress like one either but hey, $220 is serious money to me. I'm not willing to spend that kind of dough to impress anyone.

Understood, I am the only one who uses mine and the only one who is impressed by it. I get what you are saying though and will have to take your word for it. :bow: I am sure it is quite an improvement.

#92 RC4U

RC4U

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Dakota

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:35 AM

I have and like this EP in my 8" evo {basically same scope N different mount} I bought that one new with scope but have gotton all others in my collection used..and have gotton very good deals on them...when you buy used at places like this forum you have rare chance of getting something bad or unusable...

I really like the Explore Scientific 24mm 68* in this scope for low power with a decent wide field, it has good eye relief as well. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics