•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Post pics taken with Celestron Evolution scopes

Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
404 replies to this topic

#1 Kate2015

Kate2015

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lancashire, England

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:06 AM

Hi everyone

I'm keen to see pictures which have been taken with Celestron Evolution scopes.  Please post pics from your 6, 8 or 9.25 scopes. 

It will be really interesting to see what the Evolution scopes are capable of and also the types of cameras used. 

Thank you 

Kate 

• AmyGP likes this

#2 Jim4321

Jim4321

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:31 AM

I'd been anticipating taking this set of shots all year, after seeing the event last winter.  I'm not really unhappy with this result, but with luck, I'll get to try again a few times this winter before the trees leaf out again.

5xsfex.jpg

dpg65u.jpg

Shot thru an Evo 9.25 with a Nikon D5200.  ISO 100, 1/60 sec.

Jim H.

• CelestronDaddy, Gary Z, Susan H and 4 others like this

#3 Kate2015

Kate2015

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:27 AM

Those pictures are wonderful - very artistic.  I haven't seen the moon contrasted with trees before - the overall image is beautfiul  :bow:

• Gary Z and Jim4321 like this

#4 lenrabinowitz

lenrabinowitz

Vanguard

• Loc: Risa

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:59 PM

The Evolution is primarily an observers scope, but here is my not very well done Dumbbell Nebula.  Canon 60D camera.  No processing- still figuring that out!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• CelestronDaddy, Gary Z, Susan H and 2 others like this

#5 Tel

Tel

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:53 PM

Hi Len,

Congratulations ! :waytogo:

Was the above a single frame ?

I've tried a little processing on it and I think it's turned out reasonably well if the above is true. If so, a few more frames, next time out, will indeed enhance your imaging in general.

There is a little star drift present but even that can often be removed, particularly if you keep the exposure times short which you will inevitably have to do so, operating as you are at the moment, from an Alt./Az. mount.

Keep 'em coming !

Best regards,

Tel

Attached Thumbnails

• LENS M27 MOD 1.jpg

• Gary Z, Susan H, Kate2015 and 3 others like this

#6 lenrabinowitz

lenrabinowitz

Vanguard

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:18 PM

Nice!  Yeah mine was single frame, maybe 15 second exposure, probably iso 1600 or so.  There are good registax YouTube videos.  I'm going to try some of that.  I'll post if anything is at all acceptable.

• Gary Z likes this

#7 Kate2015

Kate2015

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:26 PM

Tel, lenrabinowitz, love those two shots.  Very impressive to see what a Schmidt Cassgrain can do where DSO are concerned. 

• lenrabinowitz and Spacefreak1974 like this

#8 pastortim

pastortim

Messenger

• Loc: N.E. Missouri

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:41 PM

here are a few i have taken recently, very much a work in progress, not really happy with them but it is fun

orion 25s
Moon 151004 TAL 250K 2x ZWO174 350D dvmak 001
22 24 21
21 03 20
20 49 25

• Gary Z, Hikescdnrckys, Susan H and 5 others like this

#9 lenrabinowitz

lenrabinowitz

Vanguard

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:48 PM

I freaked the first time I saw the ring nebula!

• Gary Z, Susan H and tmaestro like this

#10 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Apollo

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:55 PM

Nice pictures!! :waytogo: :waytogo:

• Gary Z likes this

#11 lenrabinowitz

lenrabinowitz

Vanguard

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:18 PM

Tel, lenrabinowitz, love those two shots.  Very impressive to see what a Schmidt Cassgrain can do where DSO are concerned. 

It's not the sct so much as the alt az mount.  It's not really stable enough for dso's beyond after more then about a thirty second exposure.

• Gary Z likes this

#12 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Skylab

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:41 PM

Nice!  Yeah mine was single frame, maybe 15 second exposure, probably iso 1600 or so.  There are good registax YouTube videos.  I'm going to try some of that.  I'll post if anything is at all acceptable.

I think you will be better off watching Deep Sky Stacker videos. RegiStax is more for planetary imaging.

• lenrabinowitz likes this

#13 lenrabinowitz

lenrabinowitz

Vanguard

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:35 PM

Orion Nebula last night.  About a 15 second exposure.  Camera was attached to my Ultima Duo 21mm eyepiece with an lpr filter attached.  Getting there slowly but surely!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• Susan H and Kate2015 like this

#14 Kate2015

Kate2015

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:54 PM

These pictures are amazing... and they say Schmidt Cassegrain can't do deep sky? I will be so delighted if I manage to achieve some of the shots posted here with my scope!  Thanks so much for posting them all.

• Gary Z and lenrabinowitz like this

#15 lenrabinowitz

lenrabinowitz

Vanguard

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:11 PM

Thank you Kate!  SCT scopes are really not suited for it, but the Evo will hold steady enough for about 30 seconds of exposure.  The things shown here are some of the "easier" dso's to shoot as they are relatively bright.  Go for it- have fun!  It's a challenge!

• Kate2015 and Airlaflair like this

#16 hopskipson

hopskipson

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:21 PM

These pictures are amazing... and they say Schmidt Cassegrain can't do deep sky? I will be so delighted if I manage to achieve some of the shots posted here with my scope!  Thanks so much for posting them all.

SCT's are not ideal for deep sky but with a focal reducer can be very effective.  Many folks here and on other forums have captured very respectable results more often with EQ mounts.

• Kate2015 likes this

#17 lenrabinowitz

lenrabinowitz

Vanguard

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:44 PM

I think it's more the alt az mount.  The Evo is a nice mount but it will only track accurately for about thirty seconds.  I'm thinking I might get an eq mount for my Evo ota.  Anybody know if the VX mount would work with the Evo vixen rail?

• Spacefreak1974 likes this

#18 John59

John59

Viking 1

• Loc: Round Rock,TX

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:01 AM

Sorry for the quality but this a photo of the computer screen.
However as bad as this looks, in person it was great.
I used Astro-Video Systems MK IV Video Camera with the Vari-reducer set to .28 with the EVO 9.25.
This in my driveway in a red zone that is probably closer to white.
There is a fully lit school across the street and I was shooting over a street lamp.
I targeted the Horse Head Nebula as this has always been a big challenge from my driveway.
I used the latest beta from SharpCap at Matt's suggestion and I am really impressed with the results.
I set up the MK IV to only stack once internally with an integration of 254.

HH Stacked Post.jpg

• Susan H, Kate2015 and lenrabinowitz like this

#19 lenrabinowitz

lenrabinowitz

Vanguard

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

You have nothing to apologize for-  that is very difficult to get!  I think we Evo users are a little intimidated by some of the great amateur astrophotos we see.  Time for that to stop!  I am heartened by the fact that my photos don't seem to look too different from the other photos posted.  Keep at it troops!

• Kate2015, AmyGP and CosmologicalConstant like this

#20 pugsx

pugsx

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arlington, VA

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:34 PM

single frame shots

Attached Thumbnails

• Copy of IMG_7034.JPG
  • Copy of IMG_7065.JPG
  • Copy of IMG_7021 Orion Nebula.JPG

• Gary Z, Susan H, Kate2015 and 3 others like this

#21 lenrabinowitz

lenrabinowitz

Vanguard

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:02 PM

Are you guys shooting through an eyepiece or any filters?  I have begun experimenting with that.

#22 Tel

Tel

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:14 AM

You guys are to be congratulated on turning out some good shots, (above).  :bow:  :bow:

Perhaps bear in mind though, that "shooting" is only a lesser part of the overall technique where, if the captured image has potential, processing will pay a very major roll in exploiting this.

In my view, I think the essentials are:

1) Whether you take your shots at prime or a-focus is irrelevant, but try to accumulate a reasonable number of frames for stacking. This will increase your signal to noise ratio and thus produce a smoother, "cleaner" image for processing.

2) If possible, use a software package rather depend purely on any DSLR camera to accumulate your selected number of frames or video. By its use, .you can see now much better the image appears on the "widescreen" before capturing it, (i.e. its brightness, contrast, colour, focus etc.) and thus be in a position to adjust easily, any one or more of these properties should it be necessary.

3)  Decide and concentrate upon getting a good image of one perhaps two objects only on any given night. Flitting from object is not to be recommended as I recall to my own cost !

4) Learn the basics associated with stacking and processing.

Registax is an ideal tool for stacking and processing lunar and planetary frames, while DSS, (Deep Sky Stacker), is great for DSOs. Both of these packages are free while to enhance the final, stacked image, Photoshop offer their excellent CS2 version as an equally free download.

Registax and DSS however, do not offer any DSO capture capability unlike Amcap, Sharpcap, Craterlet etc. do for planetary and lunar landscape frames. For this purpose, I personally use "Nebulosity" supplied by Stark Labs. but I gather there are other programs available depending on how much one wants to spend. Nebulosity costs, I believe, about $60 nowadays.

So, exampling Pugsx's lunar landscape above, which includes the crater Tycho, the attached gives some indication of what CS2 alone can do.

I hope it meets with your approval and that the above post may help you to increase your skills in astrophotography.

Best regards and keep 'em coming ! :waytogo:

Tel

Attached Thumbnails

• PUGSY MOON MOD.jpg

Edited by Tel, 27 November 2015 - 08:20 AM.

• Gary Z, Susan H, Kate2015 and 4 others like this

#23 Susan H

Susan H

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, FL

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:39 AM

All of these images are so cool. Keep 'em coming, I'm enjoying this. I just might have to give this a try with my point and shoot Canon. I've taken an image of the moon that way. Thanks everyone for sharing and clear skies. 

#24 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:16 AM

I think it's more the alt az mount.  The Evo is a nice mount but it will only track accurately for about thirty seconds.  I'm thinking I might get an eq mount for my Evo ota.  Anybody know if the VX mount would work with the Evo vixen rail?

Len, Yes, of course it will. That's one of real benefits of the both the SE and Evo mounts, they use the standard CG-5/Vixen compatible dovetail bars/saddles so they have the ability to swap the otas both on the mount and onto another mount like a gem.

Before going out and buying a nice little gem mount (a nice thing to have) I'd suggest a few things. You can do an awful lot in 15-45s in alt az mode on an Evolution or similar mount.

- get an SCT f6.3 reducer and an SCT-T adapter and a T-Ring for your camera. Remove the DSLR lens and the eyepiece/diagonal and go with the T thread connection from the reducer to the camera.

- get BYEOS (for Canon DSLR owners) and a stacking program (DeepSkyStacker for example) and learn to take a bunch of shorter exposures and then stack and process them. 

Yes this is just like planetary lunar imaging but on DSOs (you'll be using relatively short but not really short subs - usually in the 5-15 second range). With a little post processing work (brightness, contrast, histogram stretches, curves, etc.) you'll soon be creating nice images of many of the brighter DSOs.

Another fun direction is to get one of the newer cameras that were designed for guiding or solar system work (Mallincam Skyraider AG, Altair Astro GPCSM, ZWO 120 series, etc.) and a copy of the SharpCap software. Add an inexpensive .5x 1.25" focal reducer and you can start going after many DSOs and also view them live. SharpCap now includes live stacking features and these little inexpensive cameras (they are in the $200-250 range) do a surprisingly good job.

If you already have a DSLR both options cost you about the same amount (SCT reducer, adapters, software vs. small camera, reducer, free software).

Afocal imaging of DSOs (camera and lens connected to an eyepiece) is fun to try but it's not what you want to do in the longer term. I would definitely not spend any extra money on that type of setup (more expensive adapters and camera holders and such) ... that money would be better spent on either of the two other options.

Edited by mclewis1, 27 November 2015 - 10:18 AM.

• lenrabinowitz likes this

#25 lenrabinowitz

lenrabinowitz

Vanguard

Posted 27 November 2015 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for the feedback Mark!  I already have all of that stuff.  I think I am actually just going to try the new Evo Wedge.  Any thoughts on that, or wedges in general?

I am just barely a beginner in this.  Taken me eight months to get anything even remotely worth looking at.  Just now starting to think about processing.

Are you sure that the Evo OTA would fit on the VX?  If you look at the VX on Celestron's website, the bar looks to me a lot larger.

Also, I'm not sure you can get the VX mount without the tripod, or if the mount alone works with the Evo tripod.

All feedback appreciated.  Thanks!

Len

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics