•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Universal digiscoping adapter and NVD Micro? Afocal work

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:43 AM

I was looking at some imaging accessories and ran across a Barska and Vixen universal digiscoping adapter for doing afocal work. Clamps to eyepiece and has platform for a camera (or in this case - a night vision monocular) to point at the eyepiece and get a steady mount that can be adjusted for distance and height.

I have my mak cass at F/12 that can get the magnification needed for faint galaxies, gobular clusters, and planetary nebulae, but using a Micro as the eyepiece is too noisy at F/12. If I use a standard eyepiece and then an adapter with my micro and its ENVIS lens pointed at the eyepiece, it should get the view of the eyepiece and then amplify that to gather much greater detail than my eye could alone, particularly if a low power 2" 42mm eyepiece with large eyelens is used, correct? I am assuming the view would be somewhat vignetted.

#2 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:47 AM

Of course I will try hand holding this first, but wondered if anybody already had tried it.

#3 cnoct

cnoct

Viking 1

• Loc: Hawai'i

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:08 AM

Works!

A good way achieve a greater image scale than the native image rendered by the Micro alone.

Best to use an eyepiece that has a FL less than the Micro (approximately 27.8 w/ENVIS objective). 

Have the old metal version of this http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B002SYHDIS

The legacy metal version is just okay, gets the job done but have heard from another hard core NV astro user that the new one Microstage II is really nice when compared to the legacy one. 

• Vondragonnoggin likes this

#4 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:57 AM

Very cool. Just ordered the Baader Micro II clickstop adapter and a RafCamera ENVIS filter adapter. This might be great. Would let me get some use out of my MCT, standard eyepieces, and let me see some of what that long focal length brings in close. A lot of globulars, galaxy chains, and planetary nebulae I would like to check out if it works. Can't see getting a bigger scope to do it. I have some good high power eyepieces for the MCT. Even if the view is vignetted, it will be better than amount of noise introduced barlowing or using native F/12 even.

Would also like to take advantage of the great seeing I have and zoom way in on the trapezium to see if I can spot more than E and F stars plus all that brightly lit nebulosity in Orion. I barlowed my 120ST the other night and it still looked amazing at F/10 because it is such a bright nebula.

Edited by Vondragonnoggin, 26 November 2015 - 10:00 AM.

#5 Rickster

Rickster

Viking 1

• Loc: NC Kansas Bortle 3 SQM 21.8+

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:49 PM

Curious to see how this works out.  Seems like it would add a lot of flexibility

#6 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:13 PM

Me too. My mak 150 is one of my favorite scopes and really good optics. If I can get more use out of it and my regular eyepieces along with NVD Micro, I'll be pretty happy. Not worried about how tall it will all be in the scope as I have used my PVS-4 in the scope frequently and even tried PVS-4 w/ 2" barlow. That wasn't a good combo, haha, but regular 2" eyepieces in 2" barlow are pretty good. It's weighted nice and handles heavy loads plus it came with dual speed focuser.

The Baader adaoter allows a quick flip out of the way to be able to focus the regular eyepuece, then flip device back to afocal position.

#7 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:29 PM

MCT is out cooling off right now. Supposed to be clear all night after 7:00 pm. I will be trying to handhold the Micro for afocal view through a regular eyepiece on my mak.

#8 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:31 AM

I had some interesting results tonight just holding the MVD Micro up to my Baader zoom. More on this later. Need my new adapters to come first. The short - it works. Not quite like I expected. Will update after adapters and a few more experiments with a couple scopes of mine. Good potential so far.

#9 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:46 AM

Ok, so a better description of results is in order. Bottom line - the Baader zoom was clearly a great choice for easy digiscoping just holding NVD micro to the eyepiece. I had to sit the outside of the Envis on the black surround material to the eyelens, but the view was unvignetted and almost no focus readjustment through range of magnifications. Still need Ha filter to bring stuff out the best, but also was working the mak at native F/12. The focal ratio kind of transfers similarly through digiscoping. I was getting dimming from magnification of the zoom, but also from focal ratio. Not as much dimming as just using the Micro as the eyepiece, and less noise, so that part worked out well. I also had it on the 8mm setting but was getting some seeing effects like a regular high power eyepiece. Normally so low powered when using micro as the eyepiece. 

At the end of the evening I waszooming in on Orion neb at 8mm and the trap split was huge. Also still brighter than using just the micro as eyepiece at F/12. I had my 3nm Ha screwed into the Baader zoom, so all finding had to be done by digiscope method. It was pretty spectacular as a close up of trap region and lots of nebulosity showing good. 

I need to try this with my 6" achro and focal reducer, but zoom in or even use higher powered eyepiece than an 8mm. Think it will be much brighter, but much greater image scale. If its nice tonight, I will try some more. My Baader digiscope adapter should be here next week sometime. I didn't think it would focus sitting right on standard eyepiece, but had no issues focusing.

• Sarkikos likes this

#10 cnoct

cnoct

Viking 1

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:33 AM

:waytogo: VDN, very good follow up report.

Afocal peeping gets you more access to various scopes at astro events, no need to convince the scopes controller to allow you to insert you unit in their scope, just covertly hold itup to the whatever eyepiece is in place. Bonus being you don't even need to mess with the scopes focus, just that of the NV device.

Only got my hand smacked once by the local astro society stazi for thinking I was trying to film through a strangers scope without written permission.

#11 outofsight

outofsight

Apollo

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:30 PM

I like this whole thread. Have you tried it with a PVS-7?

#12 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:05 PM

I like this whole thread. Have you tried it with a PVS-7?

Not yet, but would be just as easy. As long as there is a 1/4-20 hole, an adapter can be used to hold the NV device. Or you can handhold like I did last night. Just take off the c-mount and put the unity lens back on and butt up to the standard eyepiece field lens. You butt them up so no stray light comes in. Even without filters the background was dark in my mak. Of course I think it was focal ratio and focal length doing that. Probably the 120ST would be brighter and trigger more greenish view. You could even keep a small distance away if a little shroud was used to keep stray light out of the view. It was all pretty easy. Can't wait for the adapter to get here and try some zooming in without having to hold the micro. 

#13 cnoct

cnoct

Viking 1

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:50 AM

VDN, did you also put a pair of Fujinon image stabilized binoculars in the cart with the digiscope adapter?  Looking forward to your take on the budget NV image stabilized binoculars   :bigshock:

#14 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:00 AM

I actually though about IS binocs before but a PVS-7 with a 135mm F/2.8 lens is some good magnification and still easy to hold steady with two hands and blows the doors off any binocular in views under light polluted skies. I'm a bino nut too. I have the reclining deck chair that lays almost flat too just for looking up with binos. It has the armrests, so even a heavy lens like my Tamron 300 F/2.8 can be held while resting arms. Just the movement from your heartbeat disturbs it.

No neck ache looking up and some crazy good views.

but yeah, with digiscope adapter, IS PVS-7

;)

Edited by Vondragonnoggin, 29 November 2015 - 06:01 AM.

#15 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:10 PM

If your considering using a smart phone, then the snapzoom is what I'd recommend. It's what I use to do all my afocal work with my iPhone 5s, and fits basically any smartphone, and works with binoculars too.

#16 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:22 PM

I looked at some of those, but not doing afocal with camera right now. Doing the afocal with a night vision device instead of a camera. Now that one would work good using night vision eyepiece and getting iphone shots of what I'm seeing. Thanks for suggestion and I could probably go in to Mike's shop to make sure it fit. I think I need to go pick up a revolution imager before they sell out for future endeavors anyway. One of these days a powered mount will get employed....

I wonder if you could have a night vision eyepiece and afocal position an LN300 with extremely short integration time and pick up a ton? That would be an interesting experiment.

#17 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:49 PM

Yes, go in and see Mike, that'd be best. What phone do you happen to have? If you want to optimize camera selection more than likely you will want HDR capability so you can get closer to what you actually see. Newer smart phones have 4k video recording as well, giving any camera out there a run for it's money. 

#18 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:59 PM

I have a 5S iPhone. I also have a relay lens and a Nikon D3300. I can couple the nikon directly to my Litton M942 monocular. Probably get some interesting live video or quick shots. Of course exposure needs to be about a 1/2 second, but live video could be cool afocally on my baader zoom with a fast scope like my 120ST and a focal reducer + narrowband Ha used with the intensifier in the optical train.

Edited by Vondragonnoggin, 29 November 2015 - 04:59 PM.

#19 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:06 PM

Same phone I have, the trick will be which app makes most sense for you. Here's a recent thread where I mention the three apps that work for my use case.

http://www.cloudynig...lost-by-iphone/

Here's is my review from earlier this year.

http://www.cloudynig...arison-tonight/

#20 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:25 PM

Wow - Nightcap Pro looks very good!

Definitely going to get that one.

Edited by Vondragonnoggin, 29 November 2015 - 05:26 PM.

#21 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:40 PM

Yes, it's #1 IMO for low light with iPhone, the author is on CN as well.

#22 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:12 AM

Well, I tried digiscoping with 120ST and Baader zoom with focal reducer and 7nm Ha on baader zoom. Results were really impressive. Just handholding again until the adapter comes in. Zoomed in to 8mm setting everything still very bright. Trap split very clean. Even HH and flame and rosette looked great. Zoom is really useful for best framing and brightness although this does not dim like native focal length which would have required a barlow to get as close and then image would have been much dimmer.

Nightcap Pro was cool. Tried some shots while handholding phone and handholding monocular to baader zoom. Will be much steadier when I get the adapter, but results pretty good. 

Did not get time to play with settings because of handholding Micro against Baader zoom and handholding phone against Micro all at the same time.

Edited by Vondragonnoggin, 30 November 2015 - 05:02 AM.

• outofsight likes this

#23 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:59 AM

600EF9B6-7EE8-4575-8315-ED53066BE849_zps

• outofsight likes this

#24 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:00 AM

19E233C0-9F25-4590-A145-01D80FE55137_zps

#25 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:03 AM

AD06FBCD-31A7-4935-B151-1EDC59A0AC49_zps

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics