•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binocular Universe: Hunting Big Game!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:07 PM

Over the last few months, we have explored planetary nebulae and galaxies hidden in the far southern sky. This month, we head back north to tackle others gracing the December sky that are sure test your mettle. Be forewarned, as the title of this installment says, we are going after some big game.

Click here to view the article

#2 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: 802,701½ C.E.

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for coming back North, Phil.

Since you mentioned the Blue Snowball (NGC 7662) and are an asterism aficionado, I want to point out an asterism detected by CN member Philipp and reported on November 16, 2008 in the Deep Sky Observing Forum.

Heart Asterism near NGC 7662?

It remains a hit with me and it's a part of my sure-fire way to find the Blue Snowball with my binoculars.

Philipp's original observation was made with his vintage 15x50 binoculars (Zeiss Pentekarem).

His followup astroimaging of the Heart can still be seen here: http://www.salzgeber...eart/index.html

So what if it's not a perfect heart! What heart is?

Edited by Man in a Tub, 26 November 2015 - 05:28 PM.

• PhilH likes this

#3 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:48 AM

Thanks for coming back North, Phil.

Since you mentioned the Blue Snowball (NGC 7662) and are an asterism aficionado, I want to point out an asterism detected by CN member Philipp and reported on November 16, 2008 in the Deep Sky Observing Forum.

Heart Asterism near NGC 7662?

It remains a hit with me and it's a part of my sure-fire way to find the Blue Snowball with my binoculars.

Philipp's original observation was made with his vintage 15x50 binoculars (Zeiss Pentekarem).

His followup astroimaging of the Heart can still be seen here: http://www.salzgeber...eart/index.html

So what if it's not a perfect heart! What heart is?

Thanks, Todd.  I hadn't heard of that one before either.  Great way of finding 7662!  Another thing to view on my ever-growing to-do list.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics