•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone using Filter Slide on Tubed Scope?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chucky

Chucky

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:45 AM

Any folks successfully using a filter slide on a tube Newtonian...... especially on a 12 inch tube.  I have a 10 inch F6.  If so, do you like it?  Glad you installed it?  Where did you buy it?  Easy to install?  Pictures appreciated of your installation.

Chuck in Ohio

#2 Brian Carter

Brian Carter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:44 AM

I don't have a tube scope now, but I did. And I had a filter slide in it. Astrocrumb or Moonlite are both good. And yes, easy to install and use. And it made me use my filters a lot more.

#3 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:46 AM

I really like having a filter slider, I got sick of screwing filters in and out of eyepieces. Also I wanted to do some comparisons and that's very hard to do without a slider.

I use a Moonlite heated filter slider and can say the quality is very good. There was a considerable amount of work to get it integrated into my dob. I have the SIPS on mine, so I got Wayne at Starlight to machine up a top plate for the SIPS to mount into. Basically the whole setup is connected by bolts running through the top plate, through the base plate that came from Moonlite, through the tube and then into the filter slider.

Once you get the slider, I'm sure you will nut out the best way to fit it.

I will try and post a photo in the next day.

#4 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:49 AM

My Astrocrumb filter slide was the best upgrade I've made to my scopes. Filter use is a dream.

To install the slide, You have to rotate your spider. This sounds scary but is not difficult at all.

#5 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:02 AM

I just bumped the "Mega-Mods for Zhumells" thread to help the OP. Post #330 has my installation instructions.

#6 John rombi

John rombi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:21 AM

Hi Chuck, I've heavily modded my 12" Lightbridge over the years, and a Moonlite filter slide was a must. No more fumbling in the cold trying to attach filters to the e/p.

The slide also comes in handy when "blinking" objects, or seeing planets in different wave lengths.

Attached Thumbnails

• FS.jpg

#7 Chucky

Chucky

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:58 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies.  Need a Winter project.  Have started exploring the subject in detail.

#8 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:19 PM

Chucky, I bumped the spider rotating thread in the ATM Forum for you just now (it took a while to find).  Included are the easy-peasy instructions for marking the new holes.  You can rotate the spider now even if you don't have a filter slide yet.  Good luck.

Edited by kfiscus, 28 November 2015 - 06:20 PM.

#9 synfinatic

synfinatic

Viking 1

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:07 PM

I've got an Astrocrumb filter slide on my Apertura 12".  Love it.  Totally worth it.

#10 Chucky

Chucky

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:06 AM

I have a Protostar Curved spider in my 10 inch F6 tube.  Need to assess the situation for feasibility.  

#11 Old Rookie

Old Rookie

Viking 1

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:42 PM

I put a Moonlite filter slide on my Apertura a couple of months ago.  Had to rotate the spider but not a real big deal.  My prior 18" had a filter slide.  Once I used it I was hooked.  This one had to have it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics