•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkyWatcher’s 20" goto truss dob!

• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

#1 Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:25 PM

I saw this recently posted to SkyWatcher Australia’s Facebook page  – SkyWatcher’s 20" goto truss dob!

https://fbcdn-sphoto...d69b22b9b63d954

Really exciting, absolutely love the concept, but the size (needing a mini latter etc. – even for an 18") is too big for me at least… hopefully Sky-Watcher bring out 12-16" versions at around f4/4.5 so one can keep their feet on the ground!

Edited by Alpha Centauri, 04 December 2015 - 09:40 PM.

• IVM and niallk like this

#2 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:49 AM

We've looked into a Stargate 14" and 16" dob. The problem is they were going to me more expensive than the current 14" and 16" collapsible dobs. So we pulled the plug until the 18" and 20" take off.
  • Alpha Centauri likes this

#3 Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:48 PM

We've looked into a Stargate 14" and 16" dob. The problem is they were going to me more expensive than the current 14" and 16" collapsible dobs. So we pulled the plug until the 18" and 20" take off.

Thanks a lot for the response, good to know the smaller 14/16" apertures are being considered (albeit in the distance). I think they’d be a real winner.

Do you have any idea if the Stargate goto dobs will reach focus / support a DSLR / other imaging equipment or binoviewing?

#4 Lance1234

Lance1234

Viking 1

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

The problem is they were going to me more expensive than the current 14" and 16" collapsible dobs.

And that is a problem because???

Not having seen one I'm guessing here but the stargate is potentially a far superior design. It is more compact, more robust, lighter, is a current state of the art design, and the thing is made of metal instead of cardboard. That's not worth more??? Why can't there be a market for a mid-level scope; something between the entry level scopes and the high end scopes? At least in the US market, there is simply nothing like the Stargate which is a shame.

Edited by Lance1234, 10 December 2015 - 01:24 PM.

• IVM likes this

#5 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:20 PM

I would love to do the 14" and 16" Stargates. There is a prototype 14" and it was beautiful little scope. We will see how the larger two are received which will hopefully help push the smaller two. We would probably be looking at around $3k my guess for a 14" model. 

The scope is much lighter and smaller than the current collapsible dobs. 

• wrvond likes this

#6 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:25 PM

Because others were asking. Here is the standard 20". 

Attached Thumbnails

• image1.JPG

• Jim Davenport, IVM, CounterWeight and 3 others like this

#7 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:30 PM

I would love to do the 14" and 16" Stargates. There is a prototype 14" and it was beautiful little scope. We will see how the larger two are received which will hopefully help push the smaller two. We would probably be looking at around $3k my guess for a 14" model. 

The scope is much lighter and smaller than the current collapsible dobs.

$3,000 for a 14" UC is a steal! It would eat Obsession and the like for breakfast! You have to push this through!
  • IVM and 25585 like this

#8 Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:37 PM

I agree… I think SkyWatcher would get a lot of sales volume on a Stargate in the 14-16" range... even though it costs more than the equivalent aperture Flextube, there are probably a lot more people that can afford a 14" Stargate at ~$3k vs a 20" Stargate at ~$6.5k.

But it also goes to practicality too, there is little doubt that the Stargete design would entice people to the brand that would not purchase otherwise (as Lance alludes). Where the weight and bulk of current 14"-16" designs on the market are too much, but they want a bigger scope where they can mostly keep their feet on the ground while observing, without going ‘premium’ (I’m in this group).

Edited by Alpha Centauri, 11 December 2015 - 08:39 PM.

#9 Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:44 PM

Thanks a lot for the picture of the 20" great to see the shroud included too ... it looks well thought out.

Is there any chance that you can post a picture of the 14" prototype? I'm really interested in the kind of size you’re considering for this.

Edited by Alpha Centauri, 11 December 2015 - 08:45 PM.

#10 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:36 PM

The 14" is currently in China. I saw it when visiting the factory back April.

#11 Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson

Voyager 1

• Loc: 33S , 151E

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:57 PM

How high off the deck are the eyepieces at zenith for the 14" and 20" Stargates ?

I take they are both f5 ish ?

Would be nice if they did a f4 version .

Googled and found Skywatcher STARGATE-450P - 458mm 18" f/4.1 , so maybe they are all f4 ish. 4800 Euro from T-E in Germany , so I guess double that in AUD landed here in Australia (if you are lucky) for the 18".

Skywatcher Skyliner 350P Synscan - 15 inch f/4.5 GoTo Dobsonian is 2500 Euro (again you can double that (at least landed here in Australia , I expect a Stargate 15" or 14" version will be considerably more - paying for a better structure and more engineering.

20" version is going to be a 2nd mortgage on the home proposition I expect and likely well over 15k in Australian dollars landed in Australia. Only cashed up superannuants and people on very big salaries will be able to afford one.

Edited by Ian Robinson, 11 December 2015 - 11:15 PM.

#12 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:19 AM

Just so everyone knows. There is only one prototype 14" Stargate. It hasn't been tested and does not exist currently outside of factory. It uses the standard 14" f/4.6 optics used in our collapsible model. I don't have any other specs on it.

The 18" is f/4.15 and the 20" is f/3.95. I only represent Sky-Watcher USA and can't say what these will go for via other branches of Sky-Watcher world wide. These will be more expensive than traditional Sky-Warcher dobsonians but these are the next generation of dobsonians from Sky-Watcher with many new improvements and technologies.
  • IVM and eurolad like this

#13 wolfli

wolfli

Ranger 4

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

Nice, really looking forward to it! 

#14 wolfli

wolfli

Ranger 4

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

Seems like this 20'' has go-to. Will that be available in the US anytime soon?

#15 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:18 PM

The Stargate series will be coming to the US. We are doing the final testing on the GoTo models. The standard models are pretty much good to go.

We field tested the 18" GoTo last night. Tracking seems smooth. We were able to capture pinpoint 6 second exposures of many objects off the scope last night. Overall I was pretty impressed with the GoTo on this. We are awaiting our 20" sample from the factory.
  • IVM and CounterWeight like this

#16 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:57 PM

Does it have the same closed loop electronics? Also, what is the glass material?

#17 wolfli

wolfli

Ranger 4

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:39 PM

The Stargate series will be coming to the US. We are doing the final testing on the GoTo models. The standard models are pretty much good to go.

We field tested the 18" GoTo last night. Tracking seems smooth. We were able to capture pinpoint 6 second exposures of many objects off the scope last night. Overall I was pretty impressed with the GoTo on this. We are awaiting our 20" sample from the factory.

Sounds good. How much weight/bulk does the goto system add? Can you control it with an ipad or any other external devices?

#18 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:30 PM

We haven't weighed the components yet. It's doable by one person when broken to segments.

We didn't test it with any wireless devises yet. I'm sure you will be able to however. We will test it before release.

Electronics are very clean and elegant. The scope is dual
encoders and can be moved manually without loss of alignment.

The glass is borosilicate.
  • IVM, CounterWeight and wolfli like this

#19 bamastar

bamastar

Messenger

• Loc: Childersburg, Alabama

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:24 AM

I'm really enjoying hearing this new,seeing I will be purchasing something in the 16"to 18" withing the next year with goto. I am like you, I can't quit get a premium custom scope of the same size, but could get something in. The mid quality range. One of the biggest issues I've looked at it weight. Like Orion with there xx16" goto coming in at right at 200lbs. I'm sure it's a very nice scope but man,,, 200lbs!! With the new skywatcher be under that?

#20 wolfli

wolfli

Ranger 4

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:07 AM

I'm really enjoying hearing this new,seeing I will be purchasing something in the 16"to 18" withing the next year with goto. I am like you, I can't quit get a premium custom scope of the same size, but could get something in. The mid quality range. One of the biggest issues I've looked at it weight. Like Orion with there xx16" goto coming in at right at 200lbs. I'm sure it's a very nice scope but man,,, 200lbs!! With the new skywatcher be under that?

I guess that's the whole point for this new line. It will be way lighter than xx16g.

#21 wolfli

wolfli

Ranger 4

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:11 AM

We haven't weighed the components yet. It's doable by one person when broken to segments.

We didn't test it with any wireless devises yet. I'm sure you will be able to however. We will test it before release.

Electronics are very clean and elegant. The scope is dual
encoders and can be moved manually without loss of alignment.

The glass is borosilicate.

Have you guys considered testing the figure of the mirror? After the scope is released, a number of people will do it themselves and come up with various results. If there's no official numbers/standard deviations, then one bad result posted online could make people suspicious and potentially ruin the reputation of this scope, together with all the endeavors that went into it. I think this is especially true given the new fused design of the mirror. 

Edited by wolfli, 14 December 2015 - 10:14 AM.

#22 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:52 PM

We have star tested these and did not see any defects. However we will be bench testing them to make sure. 

• wolfli likes this

#23 mark379

mark379

Apollo

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:01 PM

Will Jeff Simon be there at NEAF in 2016 with one of the 20" GOTO's? I'd sure like to see one of these in action.

#24 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:54 PM

Jeff will be at NEAF with the rest of the Sky-Watcher USA team. The Stargate GoTo dobs are still being tested. I am not 100% sure they will be at NEAF at this very moment. If they are ready then yes. We will most likely at the very least have the standard Stargate dobs there. 

• mark379 likes this

#25 Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:09 AM

We were able to capture pinpoint 6 second exposures of many objects off the scope last night.

Nice, was this with a DSLR camera attached to the focuser?

I suppose it supports the weight of the camera OK then? Is any special adjustment needed to make the scope come to focus for AP, i.e., adjusting the mirror upward towards the secondary?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics