Hello. A little update here to my sad saga with the SW 20" dob.
So as can be read from this thread, I found my primary mirror to have a bad print-through problem and made a reclamation to the vender in March. It took then 4 months for the reclamation to proceed, first into the European distributor, and then further into the Synta factory. Some discussions followed and finally, in the beginning of August, I was told that I will get a new primary mirror! I was given an estimation of 6-7 weeks for the mirror to reach me. Now it has been 12 weeks, no mirror yet... Seems I have to wait some more, maybe it's the slowest camel in the silk road that carries my mirror. It's only 7 months passed on my reclamation, I am quite a patient man
Meanwhile, I have had the bright Finnish summer nights and lots of time to prepare the scope for the new mirror (old mirror is already packed, ready for the return). So I decided to build motorized collimation for my scope. I purchased some geared DC motors and small gogged belts & pulleys, capable of delivering 0,6 rpm rotational speed to the collimation screws that I modified from micrometer adjusters. I added stronger springs to the screws, but also left the original screws and spings in Place next to the new ones, to give additional guidance and spring force to the system. I only made motor adjusters for 2 corners, the 3rd corner doesn't need adjustment. I also made a hand controller with 3 meter cord and 9 volt battery inside. So now I have precise and easy adjustment for my empty mirror holder
Edited by Arctic eye, 30 October 2018 - 02:00 PM.