•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkyWatcher’s 20" goto truss dob!

• Please log in to reply
292 replies to this topic

#26 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:51 AM

All of our dobs have a good amount of in focus. Adapters are needed to actually use eyepiece (which we include with all our dobs). This in focus allows cameras to come to focus so these are good for planetary, lunar and very short deep sky images. 

I had no problem bringing a 60Da to focus using our f/4 imaging coma corrector which provided a pin point field. I will try posting an image shortly. 

#27 Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:38 AM

That's fantastic to hear. Thanks, I'd be really keen to see the result!

#28 mark379

mark379

Apollo

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:03 AM

Adapters to use with eyepieces...

I have a suggstion: can you guys develop a diffrent adapter setup that incorporates compression ring focuser for both the 1.25" and 2" versions? I know the version you currently use ( and has been around for 10+ years and used on the old Clestron c8n and 10n) just have the set screw and no compression ring.

I have a work around  on my 10 SW dob that I happen to enjoy; I use a 35 mm 2" extension with compression ring and the 1.25 adapter which is also compression ring.

Comes to focus perfectly , and won't damage my TV eyepieces...

This may become even more important with the larger scopes16"+, as most of us in that market already have epensive EP's that we dont want to "mark up"  the barrel with setscrews.

Just my 10 cents of input... ;)

All of our dobs have a good amount of in focus. Adapters are needed to actually use eyepiece (which we include with all our dobs). This in focus allows cameras to come to focus so these are good for planetary, lunar and very short deep sky images. 

I had no problem bringing a 60Da to focus using our f/4 imaging coma corrector which provided a pin point field. I will try posting an image shortly. 

Edited by mark379, 15 December 2015 - 10:04 AM.

#29 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:10 PM

Here are some images through the scope. 

All are 6 second exposures, ISO3200, Canon 60Da, F/4 Coma Corrector on the 18" Stargate GoTo.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6481CN.jpg
  • IMG_6525CN.jpg

• Relativist, CounterWeight, mark379 and 5 others like this

#30 bamastar

bamastar

Messenger

• Loc: Childersburg, Alabama

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:00 PM

That's a very good pic of. The Orion Nebula for a dob and just 6 secs of exposure! I've seen longer exposures not come out that good.

#31 Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:17 AM

Here are some images through the scope. 

All are 6 second exposures, ISO3200, Canon 60Da, F/4 Coma Corrector on the 18" Stargate GoTo.

Awesome shots, impressive!

#32 Lola Bruce

Lola Bruce

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:29 PM

I saw the 16 at Pierce College and liked it.

Bruce

#33 glend

glend

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:44 PM

Having recently sold my 16" dob I will offer the following:

Aperture fever drives alot of these decisions. Many buyers find larger dobs to be initially wonderful views but get jaded about them over time.  Weight, Weight, Weight, kills enthusiasm for these larger dobs; the ordeal of transporting these big dobs to dark sites, astro parties, etc becomes old pretty quickly. People use them less and less due to the 'management and assembly issues, and eventually sell them off at a considerable loss just to be rid of the problem. If your looking a dob to just stick in an observatory then ok they are great for that use. 

• Lance1234 likes this

#34 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:27 PM

Aperture fever drives alot of these decisions. Many buyers find larger dobs to be initially wonderful views but get jaded about them over time.  Weight, Weight, Weight, kills enthusiasm for these larger dobs; the ordeal of transporting these big dobs to dark sites, astro parties, etc becomes old pretty quickly. People use them less and less due to the 'management and assembly issues, and eventually sell them off at a considerable loss just to be rid of the problem. If your looking a dob to just stick in an observatory then ok they are great for that use. 

I find this is really more of a personal decision. some have no problems with these larger dobs and are more than willing to put up with the required effort in using them. Others not so much. 

• GeoAstroRV.com likes this

#35 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:28 PM

Really? That has not been my experience with 10 years of ownership of a 20-inch Dob. I love the thing and have certainly not had my "enthusiasm killed off" by transportation (use my trailer or pick-up truck) or mass or the ladder (and I'm nearly 70 years old)! It is by far the best scope I've ever owned for visual, and I still find the views wonderful, especially at a place like Cherry Springs Dark Sky Park. Whenever I use or look thru a smaller scope, I find myself thinking "wish I had my 20 here right now" and whenever I look thru a bigger scope I think ".....maybe I should go bigger". I use the 20 about 60% of the time at home, and the rest of the time transported to dark sky locations.

So I guess it is really up to the owner/observer if they can deal with the size - but in my mind, bigger is always better.

• turtle86, JimMo, nirvanix and 8 others like this

#36 sn1987a

sn1987a

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Western Australia

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:37 PM

I have a similar sized 20" f4 Ultralight. Easy setup and strip down, fits in the back of my 4WD.

Bigger is better though :D

https://www.youtube....h?v=nh00nv9wtqQ

Attached Thumbnails

• 20 ultra 2a.jpg
  • 20 ultra 1a.jpg

• denis0007dl, rowdy388, bamastar and 2 others like this

#37 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 17 December 2015 - 01:33 AM

I saw the 16 at Pierce College and liked it.
Bruce

That was the 18 I believe.

#38 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:12 AM

I apologize if this was mentioned already, but what is the eyepiece heights for both the 18 and 20 inch models?

#39 wolfli

wolfli

Ranger 4

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:17 AM

I have a similar sized 20" f4 Ultralight. Easy setup and strip down, fits in the back of my 4WD.

Bigger is better though :D

https://www.youtube....h?v=nh00nv9wtqQ

Who made this scope?

#40 sn1987a

sn1987a

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Western Australia

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:31 AM

I bought the scope body from Bruce Mills in the UK and the mirror I found on an Astromart auction. I have made some changes to in order to improve performance and efficiency alas however it has changed its original character a little.

Gives an idea of how a 20" f4 Ultralight looks in a car I guess, it's my easiest big dob travel scope.

http://brucemills.we...f4telescope.htm

• wolfli likes this

#41 mark379

mark379

Apollo

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:19 AM

Do you happen to know the projected price of the 18" goto in the US vs the 20" goto?

Thanks!

#42 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:21 AM

18": mid $6000
20": mid $7000

This is for the GoTo models.
  • IVM and mark379 like this

#43 wolfli

wolfli

Ranger 4

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:17 AM

I guess the most important info for me is:

1, Would the lower assembly fit into the trunk of my car?

2, How good is the optics?

#44 Gabor Kiss

Gabor Kiss

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:22 AM

I am curious as well, any news about the optical quality of the 20"?

#45 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:28 AM

The 18 or 20" GOTO model is really interesting. Sure there's other full truss dobs with GOTO but some cite quirkyness as they are home built electronics. I've seen the Orion goto dobs electronics in action and they are really intuitive and relatively accurate. GIven that they are using Synta Synscan my guess is that Skywatcher would have equal intuitiveness. I think most importantly is something that's reliable in the field and I think that's why Kevin is citing a lot of testing that needs to happen.

Others have cited the scenario of weight on larger dobs making it not "the scope you use the most is the best scope", but if someone on the mass production mid range pricing front would sell something like this I think folks who desire portability would certainly go for it. I would even venture to guess that a 12" or 14" would sell well also.

I've seen big dob folks fight time and time again in the dark with Digital setting circles from JMI, etc only to abandon them, shut them off and go back to star hopping. It has to be simple and they want to make it right

Jon

• IVM and mdowns like this

#46 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:14 PM

Nexus is now designing attachment systems so the Nexus DSC can be used on these large SkyWatcher scopes.

That would radically expand the database options for such a large scope. 

#47 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:24 PM

We displayed both the 18" and 20" GoTo Stargate dobs at TSP this year. We got a lot of positive feed back on these scopes and we are excited to release them. However, as I have stated before, we want to make sure these are 100% before we release them.

We have a lot of really good competition in the US market so being prepared for all aspect of the market are important. We want to make sure the optics are good, having the ability to add GoTo to the manual models, making sure coma correctors work properly, having a DSC system that can work on them and all accessories are good. 

Stargate will be the first of their kind and we do not want to back track. We want to ensure these are perfect on all levels before they are 100% released. 

• fnowat, bamastar and bigstape like this

#48 fnowat

fnowat

Vostok 1

• Loc: N.W. Houston suburbs- TEXAS

Posted 25 September 2016 - 04:46 PM

Hey skyward Eyes,

I would love to know of any other "promotional" or public "field testing" like the display you had at the TSP 2016.  I am patiently waiting for more information on the scopes.  I want to quell the regret of not viewing through the 20" at night while attending the TSP.  With my wife and I discussing future telescope purchases for us, the fever is being fanned into a burning fire.  Love to hear more information when available.

Frank

#49 TonyStar

TonyStar

Viking 1

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:39 PM

I'm in France for work and run across a small astronomy shop. The shop has a very large telescope selection on display (for being so tiny) including a SW Stargate 18". I had the chance to rock this beast for the first time but not to look through the eyepiece although the owner said he would let me try under the sky a similar second hand model he had for sale at about 3300 euros. He was surprised these are still not available in the US.

The model I saw had the ribbed primary mirror (similar to the current SW 16 and 14 dobs) and it was probably an earlier version (it had been at the shop for about a year). It was a bit stiff to move around and the oscillations of the UTA damped in about 5 sec (without eyepiece and finder). Also the joined trusses seemed a bit too flexible.

The shop owner told me that the Stargate 500 (20") was reviewed in this month "Ciel et Espace" magazine and the verdict was quite positive. I'll try to get a copy of the magazine before I leave (out of curiosity, I'm not really interested in buying it).  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2744.JPG

Edited by TonyStar, 26 October 2016 - 07:48 PM.

• denis0007dl likes this

#50 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:01 PM

That appears to be the older model. The white focuser at 45 degrees is the giveaway. The newer models (and what you will see in the US) have a black focuser near 80 degrees as well as improved stiffness. 

• Tyson M likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics