•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon 13-30x/20-45x/25-56x MC (7mm-21mm) Zoom Eyepiece

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#51 YKSE

YKSE

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:05 PM

The ring with the small screw is threaded, so you will have to screw it off first. Once this is done the rotatable part should fall off.

:waytogo:  That's it.

The cealing ruber was glued there, made it tighter than simply screwing off.

It looks like 3D printer can make a suitable adapter. :)

• StarAlert likes this

#52 Piero DP

Piero DP

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge, UK

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:08 AM

...done! Now eyepeice goes much deeper into 1.25"eyepeice holders!

Thats very usefull for me. Also, removed rotatable part now does not bother/confuse which pat to rotate, while two rotatable parts are close to each other, while one rotatable part does not have any function for telescopes.. Now there is only 1 rotatable part, for Zooming, and second rotatable part sometimes could be confusing, especially in dark, IMO!

Thanks Dennis for your pictures and for describing the mod! 

I just ordered one of these together with a baader zeiss barlow for my TV60. 

• jetstream likes this

#53 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Umag, Croatia, Europe

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:45 PM

Hi Piero, you are welcome!
Its excellent eyepiece, and it will serve you well for sure!
  • Piero DP likes this

#54 Piero DP

Piero DP

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

To apply Dennis' mod, 1mm screwdriver works.

There is an internal rubber ring (see photo) which is sealed to the plastic ring holding the large ring. You can see this rubber ring from the bottom of the eyepiece. After removing the tiny screw, the rubber ring can be easily removed with a couple of small screwdrivers. Once removed, the plastic ring can be rotated and removed. It might require a bit of pressure, but it comes off eventually.

nikon_screw.jpg

• jetstream likes this

#55 Piero DP

Piero DP

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:18 PM

Here is my nikon after Dennis' mod. Thanks again! 

Nikon_13_30_a.jpg

#56 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Umag, Croatia, Europe

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:40 AM

Piero, good job!
  • Piero DP likes this

#57 george tatsis

george tatsis

Apollo

• Loc: Flushing, NY

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:08 PM

Denis,

Did you get to compare the zooms to any high -end orthos, or other designs as you were planning some time ago ?

George

#58 YKSE

YKSE

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:45 PM

I've done a review of my mod and observations here:

https://stargazerslo...oom-adaptation/

• Andy Howie and areyoukiddingme like this

#59 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Vanguard

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:15 AM

Sorry to bump this older topic, but I picked up a pair of these for binoviewing, and wow are they are clear and sharp with super tight stars. I only tried monoviewing with them tonight as I haven't modified them yet. I sort of force-threaded them a tiny bit into the 1.25" adapter and squared them as best I could. Seeing was maybe 8/10 throughout the observing session. 

I don't know if the lowest power setting is *truly* 21mm or not, but I was able to easily resolve E, and barely resolve F in Trapezium in my 12" dob, which is surprising for that magnification - 72x. E was maybe sort of there in my 21 Ethos, F was simply lost in C's bloat. Same situation for my 17 ES92 and 19 Pan. 18 Fujiyama showed E clearly, and a hint of F - mostly in the form of an elongated C. But the impression of the lowest power zoom level in the Nikon was "yep, that's E and that's F". I repeated this observation a few times to make sure it wasn't just due to a lucky bout of good seeing. 

The nebula was littered with tiny stars that are only intermittently visible in other eyepieces around this focal length. The only eyepieces that matched the persistence of visibility of those tiny stars were my 25mm Zeiss E-PL, 18mm Fujiyama, and 11mm TV Plossl. While they were visible in my other eyepieces, it was only intermittently so, and they were just super obvious and seemingly more numerous in the Nikon. They were obvious enough that you couldn't miss them, so if you didn't know they were there before, this eyepiece is the one that would show you. Most of my other eyepieces showed them only because I knew to look for them. 

The texture in the heart of the nebula was extremely well pronounced in the Nikon as well. As good as the 18 Fujiyama, which for whatever reason, really makes the texture in the nebula pop. I think the color cast of both this eyepiece and the Fuji lend themselves well to bringing out the texture in the nebula.  

I turned to my favorite planetary - the Eskimo Nebula, and zoomed all the way in to what is apparently a 7mm equivalent. The nebula was super bright, to the point where I was like "nah that can't be right". I popped in my 7 Fuji and 7 Nagler and they looked muted in comparison. I didn't do enough careful observing to see if the eyepiece is indeed 7mm when zoomed in, so it could be that it was lower power and thus just a brighter exit pupil, but that little nebula popped right out at me and I could plainly see the central structure even in direct vision. Ordinarly this nebula does not reveal any structural detail in direct vision at anywhere near this magnification - I typically need to double the magnification to see it. The central star was especially crisp and bright. 

Unfortunately the zoom isn't parfocal, and is quite stiff when it gets cold, but optically these are outstanding little eyepieces and eye relief isn't horrible.

Now I just need to apply the mod to get them to fit properly, and looking forward to more observing sessions with them!

• Mark9473, george tatsis and Peter Besenbruch like this

#60 ratnamaravind

ratnamaravind

Ranger 4

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:42 AM

Stupid question. How are the ergonomics for binoviewing when there are no clickable stops through the zoom range?

#61 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Vanguard

Posted 04 May 2019 - 11:15 AM

Stupid question. How are the ergonomics for binoviewing when there are no clickable stops through the zoom range?

Not bad actually. You just set the zoom position for one eye, and zoom the other until your brain can merge them. Surprisingly, you can be at slightly different zoom settings, and your brain will compensate.

• 25585 likes this

#62 ratnamaravind

ratnamaravind

Ranger 4

Posted 04 May 2019 - 06:12 PM

Gives me a headache to just imagine that. Amazing what the brain can do!

#63 Tank

Tank

Skylab

• Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:27 PM

I just turn them simultaneously
Easy and keep same mag
  • ratnamaravind likes this

#64 StarAlert

StarAlert

Ranger 4

• Loc: Claremont CA

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:47 AM

Based I what I read in this thread, I bought a used pair of these off EBay yesterday at a great price. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they’re as good as everyone says. 

#65 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:57 PM

Based I what I read in this thread, I bought a used pair of these off EBay yesterday at a great price. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they’re as good as everyone says. 

Which model did you get? Seems they vary in focal length range and a little on apparent field.

#66 StarAlert

StarAlert

Ranger 4

Posted 04 June 2020 - 02:55 PM

Two of these...

13D21F6D 5E50 4545 AA32 99AA753364FB

• areyoukiddingme likes this

#67 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:38 PM

Hmm, I can't only find examples for around $300. 

I have the smaller, older Nikon which may be 7-21. They came up for peanuts on ebay and are very sharp.

But I've been wondering lately about searching for one of the later examples with a wider apparent field.

What apparent field do these have? (sorry if I have missed it in this thread, but can't see it).

• Tamiji Homma likes this

#68 StarAlert

StarAlert

Ranger 4

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:10 PM

Supposedly 40o at 21mm and 60at 7mm. 

#69 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:03 PM

Supposedly 40o at 21mm and 60at 7mm. 

The 20-45X (yours) are actually 21mm - 9mm

The 20-60X are the 21mm - 7mm.

#70 ratnamaravind

ratnamaravind

Ranger 4

Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:19 PM

I just got a matched copy of the MCII for binoviewing. Will report how well it works.

If it works out, this Nikon MCII combination will replace most of my binoviewing pairs, with the exception of the Zeiss W-PL 10x/23 which have the most vibrant pop of any eyepiece pair I have ever seen. Even in a quick comparison, my poor 20mm TeleVue plossls didn't even stand a chance on color saturation- coatings do make a difference. I will conduct more in depth tests. 

Edited by ratnamaravind, 04 June 2020 - 06:39 PM.

#71 StarAlert

StarAlert

Ranger 4

Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:36 PM

The 20-45X (yours) are actually 21mm - 9mm

The 20-60X are the 21mm - 7mm.

Thats good to know. Thanks. 

#72 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:34 PM

This page has apparent field for lowest power in the MC and MC2 zooms as 38.5 degrees apparent field.

They don't give field at highest power, however (scroll to bottom):

https://imaging.niko...pes/mc/spec.htm

#73 StarAlert

StarAlert

Ranger 4

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:55 AM

I just got a matched copy of the MCII for binoviewing. Will report how well it works.

If it works out, this Nikon MCII combination will replace most of my binoviewing pairs, with the exception of the Zeiss W-PL 10x/23 which have the most vibrant pop of any eyepiece pair I have ever seen. Even in a quick comparison, my poor 20mm TeleVue plossls didn't even stand a chance on color saturation- coatings do make a difference. I will conduct more in depth tests. 

I cancelled my order for the MCs because I really need a BV pair that goes down to 7mm. My two most used EP pairs are 8.5mm and 7.5mm. So I’ll be placing an order for a pair of MC2s. It looks like eBay is the only place to order the MC2s. They all ship directly from Japan. 

Are you having any problems adapting them to fit into a 1.25” eyepiece barrel? 

#74 StarAlert

StarAlert

Ranger 4

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:00 AM

This page has apparent field for lowest power in the MC and MC2 zooms as 38.5 degrees apparent field.

I don’t think I’ll be using these much at low power. I’ve got 24 Pans for that purpose. I’m really interested in using them from about 13mm down to 7mm. If the AFOV in that range is above 50o, that’s plenty for me. 

#75 DRodrigues

DRodrigues

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 05 June 2020 - 05:43 PM

Nikon use ISO 14132-1:2002 to mention AFOVs on their spotting scopes eps, that result on lower values when compared to those used on astro eps. For instance their wide-angled fixed eps mention 64,3º and the APM site is showing 72-74º for the NAV SW eps that share the same optical design. This means that this zoom starts at >=40º AFOV, when using the astro-eps standard.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics