•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY's New PoleMaster

• Please log in to reply
670 replies to this topic

#101 NorbertG

NorbertG

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:13 AM

Stuart,James, thank you for the helpful information. Think I will order one soon.

#102 josh smith

josh smith

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: St Petersburg, Florida

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:24 AM

I've updated the independent PoleMaster mount design to add a little more rigidity.  Additionally, I do not like that you have to access the grub screws by using the short end of the allen key.  It makes accessing and seeing them difficult and worries me that you may strip them out.  So I added some easy access holes so that they can be viewed and accessed the long way.

24009481139_e11bd35f21_c.jpg

#103 Goofi

Goofi

Cosmos

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: Coastal Southern California

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:25 PM

Looks good, Josh ... is that available via thingaverse?

#104 rice224534

rice224534

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:15 AM

My PoleMaster on Celestron CPC equatorial fork mount.

I love its simple polar alignment procedure and accuracy.  :lol:

Koji

Attached Thumbnails

• polemaster_on_forkmount.jpg

• Ricky likes this

#105 Barnstorm

Barnstorm

Mariner 2

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:54 PM

I was able to use the polar alignment camera for the first time Monday night.

My experience with my C11 / CGEM-DX was similar to the previous account, except that I had no problem with alignment stars and green boxes, even though I too had a cloudy night. I think perhaps because of the initial gain/exposures adjustments I did during initial setup.

This is a Pre-pre-view as I do not have the data that I know many of you want such as the number of arcminutes out of alignment and such.

The conditions for my setup were -8F windchill wind gusting 10-15. I do have woods surrounding me so (for once) this was an advantage.

The software instructions caused some stress because of the poor translations but after going through it once I now feel quite confident I know how it works.

I did NOT try to get the best alignment I could with the software I was freezing my %#$# off and I was mostly Just curious about how it worked.

I also had some concern about the fact that Polaris is only just above the line of trees for my yard.

The software allows you to choose a star near Polaris for it's calculations so for my back yard that was great. The template overlay you use for alignment also allows for stars all round Polaris.

The entire procedure only took moments.

I did not have to get on my knees to peer through a polar scope, guess at the angles of cassiopea or other alignments, nor did I have to shine a light in my eye to see the polar scope overlay.

The next night had a sky clear enough to do some photography, so I fired up PHD2 and at f10 I was able to do "reasonable" guiding with no drift alignment.

My guess is that I was an arcminute or two off but PHD2 did not complain about my alignments and the guiding while not as good as it has been lately after doing a Drift Align was not bad and only about once a minute would a correction not be able to keep the guiding in the 1 arc min PHD2 scale.

I am VERY happy with the purchase. It is a GREAT replacement to a guide scope.

Will I be able to abandon ASPA or Drift Align once I bet better and take my time using the product? Perhaps, but most likely not, or I will at least check the guiding with Drift.

As you know the Drift Align is MUCH easier if you are already close which this method will certainly provide more reliably than a polar scope.

Attachements:

Screenshot PHD2 guiding at f10 with NO ADDITIONAL alignments after Polemaster quick setup.

Screenshot Polemaster software showing fine adjustment screen with lock onto alignment star through clouds.

Attached Thumbnails

• PolemasterPHD.jpg
  • PolemasterSoftware.jpg

Edited by Barnstorm, 19 January 2016 - 12:58 PM.

• Hobby Astronomer likes this

#106 pelinoc

pelinoc

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:37 AM

Hi, I'm considering purchasing the Polemaster, but I'm concerned about how it will work in light polluted skies. I live in an urban area, and the light pollution is pretty awful. Given the wide FOV of the Polemaster, I'm concerned about whether it will be able to resolve enough stars to work properly with so much background light? If anyone has similar experience, I would appreciate the advice.

#107 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:35 AM

I live in a red/orange light pollution zone and the PoleMaster works for me. However, it just happens that due north is just about the darkest part of my sky. I'd think that if you can easily see Polaris with the naked eye then you should be okay.

#108 Barnstorm

Barnstorm

Mariner 2

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:16 AM

Hi, I'm considering purchasing the Polemaster, but I'm concerned about how it will work in light polluted skies. I live in an urban area, and the light pollution is pretty awful. Given the wide FOV of the Polemaster, I'm concerned about whether it will be able to resolve enough stars to work properly with so much background light? If anyone has similar experience, I would appreciate the advice.

The software has very good adjustments for gain and exposure. I very, very seriously doubt if you will have any problem.

• Hobby Astronomer likes this

#109 Crazyguy

Crazyguy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Issaquah, WA

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

The software has very good adjustments for gain and exposure. I very, very seriously doubt if you will have any problem.

I initially tested the Polemaster from my home which is not too far outside of Seattle (near Issaquah) WA. I had plenty of stars to use even in this very polluted area.

One thing I will say however, is that there is a bug in the software. When you get to the second place where it wants you to rotate the red star markers and then asks you to move Polaris into the green box... Well if you don't actually change the angle (even just a tad then back), the green circle will NOT appear stopping you dead in your tracks. It's no big deal, just remember that each time it's showing the red alignment markers that you actually move them slightly.

#110 nwcs

nwcs

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:09 PM

It sounds like they've been doing a lot of small revisions lately. Do they have a bug reporting page? It would be worth submitting all the idiosyncrasies. Maybe people can volunteer to help them with their translation?

#111 entilza

entilza

Soyuz

• Loc: Oakville, ON, Canada

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:58 PM

I was just looking for this on our Canadian websites and I see iOptron put their name on one of these, and have their own version.

Maybe the documentation is clearer?

http://www.ioptron.c...duct-p/3338.htm

I assume it's the same thing..

#112 Crazyguy

Crazyguy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Issaquah, WA

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:08 PM

I was just looking for this on our Canadian websites and I see iOptron put their name on one of these, and have their own version.

Maybe the documentation is clearer?

http://www.ioptron.c...duct-p/3338.htm

I assume it's the same thing..

I downloaded this one about 2 weeks ago and it's exactly the same software, but 2 revs (minor) back from the current QHY software.

#113 entilza

entilza

Soyuz

• Loc: Oakville, ON, Canada

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:49 PM

I think it's a nice product, especially given the positive reviews. However you definitely need the right adapter. I see you can purchase the correct one from OPT for your mount. I would need the AZ-EQ5 one, I can't order that from Canada yet and would be very costly with the current US$ I will have to wait. Otherwise it comes close to $500 Canadian. I will just have to struggle with drift alignments in the meantime.

#114 ekallgren

ekallgren

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern Nevada, Reno

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:29 PM

I think it's a nice product, especially given the positive reviews. However you definitely need the right adapter. I see you can purchase the correct one from OPT for your mount. I would need the AZ-EQ5 one, I can't order that from Canada yet and would be very costly with the current US$ I will have to wait. Otherwise it comes close to $500 Canadian. I will just have to struggle with drift alignments in the meantime.

Or you could order from:

http://www.cyclopsoptics.com/

#115 QHYCCD

QHYCCD

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:32 AM

Hello everyone,

We have a V1.14 beta testing version. It can be download from http://note.youdao.c...9C2&gid=7195236

This version fixed some bug and add some new features, includes the the Southern Hemisphere support, the astronomical refraction calibration and so on.

If you want to try the astronomical refraction function .Please install the PoleMaster as the request in our online manual. Otherwise the horizon direction will be wrong.

Best regards,

Qiu Hongyun

• Robin Lee, Barnstorm and WesC like this

#116 whitfieldp

whitfieldp

Lift Off

• Loc: Yorkshire, UK

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

The AZEQ5 adapter isn't quite there yet - the holes aren't drilled properly for the AZEQ5 polarscope mounting (wrong size, not tapped and slightly off position). Haven't got a clue where it would go on the mount otherwise without drilling holes....

I got my Polemaster from Cyclops Optics & Robin Lee is on the case. It's probably the simplest adapter of the lot so it's not a difficult fix with the right tools (which I don't have).

I'm looking forward to giving the Polemaster a workout. I have to travel to get decent skies so reducing setup time and improving alignment would make a big difference.

Pam

#117 pilotlc

pilotlc

Sputnik

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:24 PM

I was hoping those of you who have been able to try the PoleMaster out might be able to post a clear description of how you went through the alignment procedure. I was lucky enough to get one but like others have said, I find the instructions almost impossible to read. I know it has been said and it does look like it is a simple procedure but I'm just not sure I'm doing things correctly. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lance

#118 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:27 PM

I was hoping those of you who have been able to try the PoleMaster out might be able to post a clear description of how you went through the alignment procedure. I was lucky enough to get one but like others have said, I find the instructions almost impossible to read. I know it has been said and it does look like it is a simple procedure but I'm just not sure I'm doing things correctly. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lance

Lance,

I'd suggest that you download the new beta driver. Instructions are now better translated to English and some bugs were fixed. It can now be used on South hemisphere too.

http://www.cyclopsop...era/polemaster/

#119 pilotlc

pilotlc

Sputnik

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:31 PM

Lance

Lance,

I'd suggest that you download the new beta driver. Instructions are now better translated to English and some bugs were fixed. It can now be used on South hemisphere too.

http://www.cyclopsop...era/polemaster/

Thank you very much for the quick response. I will download it and try it out.

#120 QHYCCD

QHYCCD

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:54 PM

The AZEQ5 adapter isn't quite there yet - the holes aren't drilled properly for the AZEQ5 polarscope mounting (wrong size, not tapped and slightly off position). Haven't got a clue where it would go on the mount otherwise without drilling holes....

I got my Polemaster from Cyclops Optics & Robin Lee is on the case. It's probably the simplest adapter of the lot so it's not a difficult fix with the right tools (which I don't have).

I'm looking forward to giving the Polemaster a workout. I have to travel to get decent skies so reducing setup time and improving alignment would make a big difference.

Pam

Hello,  The AZEQ5 hole size is to replace the spirit canoe that on the AZEQ5. You can take off the it and then you can find the two screw holes of it. 

Qiu Hongyun

Edited by QHYCCD, 24 January 2016 - 10:54 PM.

• whitfieldp likes this

#121 whitfieldp

whitfieldp

Lift Off

• Loc: Yorkshire, UK

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:46 AM

Pam

Hello,  The AZEQ5 hole size is to replace the spirit canoe that on the AZEQ5. You can take off the it and then you can find the two screw holes of it. 

Qiu Hongyun

Qiu

Thanks for the quick reply - I received the email from Robin earlier.

I've used the bubble occasionally in the past so I didn't consider taking it apart. :blush:  

If I

1. had a workshop and

2. wasn't so lazy

I might think about making something to attach directly so I can put the level back. However putting a spirit level in my bag is rather easier...

A 90 degree adapter for the cable would be handy at some stage, but making the cable less secure would probably be one step forward and one step back.

I look forward to giving it a try, hopefully the clouds will hold off long enough this evening

Thanks

Pam

• Robin Lee likes this

#122 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:44 PM

So what are my odds of a clear night in the next couple of weeks to try this out myself????!!!!

Polemaster.jpg

• Ricky, Robin Lee, kraegar and 1 other like this

#123 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:08 PM

Rigel123, is there a reason why you've taken the lens shroud that has the QHY identification off of the lens? Are you expecting to adjust the focus?

#124 Barnstorm

Barnstorm

Mariner 2

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:29 PM

Rigel123, is there a reason why you've taken the lens shroud that has the QHY identification off of the lens? Are you expecting to adjust the focus?

I was wondering that also.

#125 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:30 PM

Just wanted to see what it looked like without it!  Curious by nature!

• Barnstorm likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics