•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binoculars Trumped Telescope For Granddaughter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Steve F

Steve F

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SE TX

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:21 AM

I took my eleven year old granddaughter out to observe this afternoon with her 4 inch dob. I made the telescope for her. I set out a pair of 7X35 Bushnell Sportview binoculars and an old deactivated Android phone with SkEye installed. We aimed the telescope at the moon and that was a hit but what she really got into and spent most of her time doing was looking at stars with the binoculars and identifying them with SkEye. This child is intrigued by stars, she will pass up Jupiter and Saturn to hop from star to star; the brighter the better. She spent about an hour with those binoculars and that old phone. What really made me bust with pride was when she asked for a spiral notebook so she could journal what she was finding in the sky. Later in the afternoon she overheard me telling her mother that I was going to give her the binoculars; her head snapped around and in a tone of disbelief she said I can take home the binoculars? I said yes sweetheart you can take home the binoculars and the phone to which she replied in disbelief "I can take the phone home!?". She proved she was interested, she proved she could successfully use them, and she demonstrated a very good attention span for her age; what kind of Grandfather would I be if I did not send the binoculars and the SkEye phone home with her?

I am sure that these binos will do double duty. Her father is an avid hunter and she often goes with him. In the past she has used her Dad's binoculars and she knows how to properly adjust and focus them; now she will not have to share. 

Yes she is aware that 911 is the only number you can dial on a deactivated phone.

Edited by Steve F, 24 December 2015 - 01:28 AM.

• hallelujah, Man in a Tub, ianatcn and 2 others like this

#2 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:27 AM

:applause:  What Grandpa's are for...  :waytogo:  :bow:

#3 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:58 AM

Good job Grandpa.  I am sure the interest in the 4" scope will follow.

I had a similar experience with a buddy.   I set up an 8" dob and an 80 mm refractor.  But the thing he liked the most was my 10X50 binoculars. 

I offered to loan him a 76 mm reflector but he declined, opting to borrow the binoculars.   So I sent them home with him on loan. 

Edited by aeajr, 24 December 2015 - 01:59 AM.

#4 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:33 AM

I took my eleven year old granddaughter out to observe this afternoon......

I set out a pair of 7X35 Bushnell Sportview binoculars and an old deactivated Android phone with SkEye installed.

We aimed the telescope at the moon and that was a hit but what she really got into and spent most of her time doing was looking at stars with the binoculars and identifying them with SkEye.

This child is intrigued by stars, she will pass up Jupiter and Saturn to hop from star to star; the brighter the better.

She spent about an hour with those binoculars and that old phone.

What really made me bust with pride was when she asked for a spiral notebook so she could journal what she was finding in the sky.

Later in the afternoon she overheard me telling her mother that I was going to give her the binoculars.........

Excellent! Good for you.... :waytogo:

This week I picked up a vintage Bushnell Sportview 7x35, with a 10 degree FOV, from back in the 1970's,

at my local ARC thrift store, for only $15.00.

It is a very nice Porro binocular with very good glass. :like:

In the past I have given a couple of vintage Bushnell Sportview 7x35 binoculars to my Grandchildren.

They are small & lightweight and fun to use for all occasions. (and the price has always been very inexpensive)

Stan

#5 ianatcn

ianatcn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:52 AM

I was nine or ten when my Grandpa first introduced me to the night sky. His enthusiasm for the subject was infectious and has remained with me through my life. It is a wonderful thing to introduce a child to the wonders of the night sky but even more rewarding to see that initial spark grow through the ensuing years. 

Even before my Grandpa took me outside to show me the summer milky way I had my curiosity sparked by the previous December's Geminid meteors. My mother told me what l was seeing was shooting stars, and that I should ask Grandpa about them. He lent me his two astronomy books The Story Of The Heavens and The Story Of The Sun both by Ball. I never thought that I would end up owning a telescope that could show me solar prominence as illustrated in those books.

Steve, I wish you and your Granddaughter many years of shared pleasure in the night sky.

#6 MartinPond

MartinPond

Aurora

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:21 AM

Wonderful story.

I like to say each instrument and each power show you different things.

For exploring, finding, and discovering your own order to things, binoculars are a great start.

Many old Sportviews have very clear optics and solid mechanics.

A good pair is a reliable friend, day or night.  Perfect if you are scouting for Daddy too...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics