•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher - EQ6 Polar Scope and Polar Alignment

beginner
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

Hi there, I am trying the polar alignment on EQ6, a lot of instructions over here and over the web mention about the Polaris circle but I do not see it in the mount's polar scope, am I missing anything? Here's one of the screen shot from a person who shows how to polar align the scope (http://www.stevebb.c..._alignment.html). So how do I polar align the scope if I do not have the polaris circle? Complete newbie with eq mount. Please help. 

The second screen shot is how it looks in the mount

Attached Thumbnails

• Sky Watcher - Polar Scope.PNG
  • Sky Watcher - New Polar Scope.PNG

Edited by charotarguy, 26 December 2015 - 07:47 PM.

#2 Billy Bl.

Billy Bl.

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North of 49

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:18 PM

The Polaris circle is the small circle next to the "s" in "Polaris". Are you saying your mount does not have this?

Edited by Billy Bl., 26 December 2015 - 08:21 PM.

#3 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:36 PM

The Polaris circle is the small circle next to the "s" in "Polaris". Are you saying your mount does not have this?

Bill,

The polar scope I have in the mount do not have that circle, the second screen shot shown in black is how it looks when I look through the polar scope.

#4 Billy Bl.

Billy Bl.

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North of 49

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:40 PM

OK. Sorry, I cannot help. Your mount is much newer than mine and likely requires computerised adjustment.

• LBurg likes this

#5 waysta

waysta

Explorer 1

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:05 PM

This might be the answer:

polar-alignment-with-eqmod-and-the-new-polar-engraving

(accidentally posted this to the wrong thread before) I recently saw a similar pattern where the polar scope is used in association with a Polaris finder program or app.  Here is an example: http://www.takahashi...nder-1.5-en.htm

These seem to follow the design of the Astro-Physics, Inc. Polar finders (was reading about them last night at their website)

Edited by waysta, 26 December 2015 - 11:48 PM.

#6 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:09 PM

Seems more confusing to me.  Why can't they just leave "good enough" alone!?!?

Mike

#7 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:10 PM

It looks like your polar alignment reticle is one designed for the Southern Hemisphere. Contact your vendor and find out if you can get a Northern hemisphere reticle or exchange the polar scope.

If the vendor won't help you, put up an ad in the sale forum for a swap with someone in the Southern Hemisphere who would gladly swap their Northern polarscope for a Southern one.

#8 olivdeso

olivdeso

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Paris France

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:16 AM

No this is the new polar scope, for both hemispheres.

For northern emisphere, it works like the AP Rapas : you don't have to turn it nor enable the sideral tracking.

It works like a clock : just put polaris at the right hour on the clock.

- Just level your mount
- Set the 0 at the top like shown on the firt post
- use a software to get the current polaris hour of your location (polaris finder on PC, there are several apps also for smartphones)
- adjust the alt-ae screews to set polaris at the right hour on the clock reticle
- at the right of the recicle there is a schematic zoom in view which explains the circles arangment vs the years : the outer circle corresponds to 2012. For instance. The second circle corresponds to 2016, you will have to put polaris on this one and at the right hour.

I make a short explaination here (in French, but you get the idea and pictures). In this exemple, the polaris clock was 1h40

http://www.webastro....73&postcount=26

Edited by olivdeso, 27 December 2015 - 07:16 AM.

• David_Ritter and charotarguy like this

#9 David_Ritter

David_Ritter

Viking 1

• Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:15 AM

Olivdeso is right, this polar scope pattern will work in either hemisphere.

One more thing to add, the EQ6 hand controller will report the Polaris hour position during the power up sequence once it knows the date, time and location. You can also find the current Polaris hour angle from one of the menu items in the hand controller at any time after power up.  I think its under Setup but might be Utilities.

Edited by David_Ritter, 27 December 2015 - 09:59 AM.

#10 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:33 AM

Thank you guys for the answer, I will try out this method and see how it goes.

#11 GrandadCast

GrandadCast

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hill Country, Texas

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:23 AM

The iPhone app, Polar Scope Align Pro, has what appears to be your new scope "Orion/Skywatcher New 2012-2032". I use the app for either my CG5-GT or iEQ45. It changes to whatever etching the mount uses and has quite a few mounts to choice from. It has replaced two other, more dedicated, apps that I was using. You can see where to put Polaris (yellow dot) and you can zoom that section to see better, which is very useful. I am not sure if you may find it useful.

Jess

IMG_0386.PNG

• waso29, charotarguy and StPeter like this

#12 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:40 AM

No this is the new polar scope, for both hemispheres.

For northern emisphere, it works like the AP Rapas : you don't have to turn it nor enable the sideral tracking.

It works like a clock : just put polaris at the right hour on the clock.

I wonder if Skywatcher sells replacement reticles? I'd like to have one that shows Polaris' location corrected for the current year.

#13 SteveInNZ

SteveInNZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:51 PM

I wonder if Skywatcher sells replacement reticles? I'd like to have one that shows Polaris' location corrected for the current year.

Wait a couple of days and the 2016 line will be the correct year.

#14 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:12 PM

I meant that my reticle is the old one, that doesn't show corrections for precession. Of course, it also didn't include documentation stating what year it actually matched Polaris' distance from the NCP. I suspect somewhere around 2000.

#15 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

• Loc: Clarkson, N.Y.

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

Hi Charotarguy. Hope this helps. Believe it or not this new reticle is easier then the other with the Polaris bubble. Just consider it like a clock, with 12 o clock up. Now when you check the Polaris position most apps, even EQMOD will show the position of Polaris on a circular clock. Simply after your in the HOME position adjust your Altitude and Azimuth bolts to get Polaris in that same position on the circle. You can still use EQMOD to refine Polaris's position accurately. Here is a video that may help if you are also using EQMOD "click" 

Below is what I did to make life visually easier with the new reticle. Hope this helps.

1) First I most importantly leveled my tripod with a level very precisely. Next I found my home position by using a level for the RA & Dec axis...again as accurate as I could get. Now that my mount is in its home position I marked both axis with lines (I used electrical sticker tags and used the letter "V" to act as a pointer. Now I can easily align my RA & Dec axis to home position once my tripod is leveled.

2) While the tripod and mount are in home position, I decided to adjust the position of the reticle in my polar scope. First I made sure that the polar scope was good snug in the mount. I noticed the Longitude Index Marker Line was not centered with the Date Scale Indicator (silver metal arrow with 2 screws mounted to the mount) ... no prob, I simply loosened the single grub screw on the Index Marker Ring and turned it till it was lined up with the Date Scale Indicator Metal Arrow. All good now...

3) Next I unscrewed the polar scope out. I then loosened the 3 grub screws so I can turn the reticle so the "0" - "6" o clock line is vertical by lining it up visually with the Longitude Index Marker Line right above it. You can turn the reticle easily once the 3 grub screws are loose and I used a broken Q-Tip stick to turn it. Then I equally tighten the grub screws just enough to hold the reticle snug.

4) I then screwed the polar scope back in the polar axis bore and snugged it up. Now the reticle "0" - "6" o clock line is vertical and in line with the Longitude Index Marker Line & Date Scale Indicator Metal Arrow. All in the Home Position.

5) Next I will align the Polar Scope using the 3 grub screws so it is aligned with my polar axis. I can use the star Polaris or during the day use a distant terrestrial object. Once this is done I believe its just a matter of setting up at night by leveling tripod, then putting RA & Dec in home position using the marks I made on the mount, then simple find where Polaris is at my time and position on Earth and just using my Altitude and Azimuth bolts, put Polaris on the correct spot of the reticle circle which has lines every 10 minutes. I should be pretty close at this point to Polar Aligned.

Cheers

Don

• charotarguy likes this

#16 ecuador

ecuador

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Stockport, UK

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:57 AM

I meant that my reticle is the old one, that doesn't show corrections for precession. Of course, it also didn't include documentation stating what year it actually matched Polaris' distance from the NCP. I suspect somewhere around 2000.

Hi. I develop the aforementioned Polar Scope Align for iOS and in the course of supporting all the mounts I got requests for (it was originally just for my iOptron) I measured a couple of mounts with that reticle and indeed it seems to be epoch 2000 (at least for 5-year old or so mounts I tried). If you have an iOS device and you can use Polar Scope Align, the display will show you the epoch-adjusted and also refraction-adjusted polaris location in relation to that small circle, so you can do an as accurate as possible alignment. You will also get the exact RA rotation from vertical to get the position shown in the app.

#17 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:55 PM

Hi. I develop the aforementioned Polar Scope Align for iOS and in the course of supporting all the mounts I got requests for (it was originally just for my iOptron) I measured a couple of mounts with that reticle and indeed it seems to be epoch 2000 (at least for 5-year old or so mounts I tried). If you have an iOS device and you can use Polar Scope Align, the display will show you the epoch-adjusted and also refraction-adjusted polaris location in relation to that small circle, so you can do an as accurate as possible alignment. You will also get the exact RA rotation from vertical to get the position shown in the app.

Thank you, I will check it out.

#18 StPeter

StPeter

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Central Maine

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:17 PM

The iPhone app, Polar Scope Align Pro, has what appears to be your new scope "Orion/Skywatcher New 2012-2032". I use the app for either my CG5-GT or iEQ45. It changes to whatever etching the mount uses and has quite a few mounts to choice from. It has replaced two other, more dedicated, apps that I was using. You can see where to put Polaris (yellow dot) and you can zoom that section to see better, which is very useful. I am not sure if you may find it useful.

Jess

attachicon.gifIMG_0386.PNG

Thanks a bunch Jess, this is a great App!

peter

#19 ecuador

ecuador

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Stockport, UK

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:24 PM

Guys, if you are using Polar Scope Align with a Celestron / Orion etc mount with the new reticle like the OP has and your reticle is at a random orientation compared to your CW shaft, I added a new feature on the newly released version that might help out with orienting the the reticle. I haven't heard back from any users about it, so if you try it do tell me if it works out, but the idea is that you only find the position for an upright reticle once (the app's help suggests a couple of methods) and at that point you enter the RA from your hand-controller readout in the app (making sure your hand controller has the correct date/time) and the next time you set up your scope the app will tell you what RA you have to slew to in order for the reticle to be upright again. It also assumes you always set up with your scope reasonably level  (always leaning exactly the same way will work too!).

• charotarguy likes this

#20 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:57 PM

Guys, if you are using Polar Scope Align with a Celestron / Orion etc mount with the new reticle like the OP has and your reticle is at a random orientation compared to your CW shaft, I added a new feature on the newly released version that might help out with orienting the the reticle. I haven't heard back from any users about it, so if you try it do tell me if it works out, but the idea is that you only find the position for an upright reticle once (the app's help suggests a couple of methods) and at that point you enter the RA from your hand-controller readout in the app (making sure your hand controller has the correct date/time) and the next time you set up your scope the app will tell you what RA you have to slew to in order for the reticle to be upright again. It also assumes you always set up with your scope reasonably level  (always leaning exactly the same way will work too!).

Great idea!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics