•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Atik Infinity Color Camera - Initial Impressions

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#51 kuba_mysluk

kuba_mysluk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Warsaw Poland EU

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:08 PM

Optec .5 claim corrected field 17,5mm similar to Your Antares probably
Alan Gee mark II look interesting. Didnt found yet the field value, but seem to much bigger than celestron or antares, according to advertised values

#52 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:44 PM

I am very tempted to buy the Atik Infinity color camera after looking at the sample images and some of the videos. My DSO observing from home is impacted from living in a red light pollution zone but I enjoy using traditional eyepieces under dark skies. I have been enjoy playing with Lodestar live and a Loadstar X2C but the chip is rather small so a lot of objects don't fit. The larger chip in the Infinity will give me wider fields of view even if the sensitivity requires longer exposures. 

I also have a  Starlight Express SXVR-26C. I will have to give Starlight Live a try if the winter weather ever gives me some clear nights. It has been very cold 10-15 degrees  with a lot of storms and overcast. I have the C11 EdgeHD with the Hyperstar lens so I can use the EAA cameras at f/2.

#53 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:32 PM

I am very tempted to buy the Atik Infinity color camera after looking at the sample images and some of the videos. My DSO observing from home is impacted from living in a red light pollution zone but I enjoy using traditional eyepieces under dark skies. I have been enjoy playing with Lodestar live and a Loadstar X2C but the chip is rather small so a lot of objects don't fit. The larger chip in the Infinity will give me wider fields of view even if the sensitivity requires longer exposures. 

I also have a  Starlight Express SXVR-26C. I will have to give Starlight Live a try if the winter weather ever gives me some clear nights. It has been very cold 10-15 degrees  with a lot of storms and overcast. I have the C11 EdgeHD with the Hyperstar lens so I can use the EAA cameras at f/2.

I think it will work very well with the C11 + hyperstar. I am also considering getting a hyperstar.

• BLACKDRAGON likes this

#54 kuba_mysluk

kuba_mysluk

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:38 AM

This look like the best idea for color OSC, but many for us cannot spent next thou $ for it. So we need reducers. I digging in Web, but Im still not sure which one will my choice for 825 based camera.

Does Starizona provide Hyperstar fittings for Infinity? They have for Atik 4-series, is it the same?

Edited by kuba_mysluk, 04 January 2016 - 02:39 AM.

#55 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

I haven't worked out the details on Hyperstar with the Infinity camera. I don't know if the 1.25 inch nosepiece can be unscrewed and have another adapter threaded on. I currently have adapters for my SXVR-26C and my Canon 6D. 

#56 DonBoy

DonBoy

Apollo

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:16 PM

Here is the mechanical drawings for the Infinity:

http://3ainmfntxe31v...finity_mech.pdf

#57 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mauna Kea, Hawaii

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:30 PM

Based on Don's link, the camera mount is a T thread, so the HS adapter for the 4 series Atik should work.  I think the distance from the flange to the sensor is the same.

The Infinity was designed for use on a alt-az mount and isn't ideal for Hyperstar like the Atik 4 series or Ultrastar are, but it should still work ok.  I would only be concerned with the C6 though.

#58 DonBoy

DonBoy

Apollo

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:34 PM

Based on Don's link, the camera mount is a T thread, so the HS adapter for the 4 series Atik should work.  I think the distance from the flange to the sensor is the same.

The backfocus on the Infinity is 13.0mm and the Atik 414 is 13.5mm per Atik drawings.

#59 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:57 PM

For a C11 the 132mm obstruction compared to the C11 95mm secondary mirror shouldn't be a big deal. Much smaller than my Canon 6D. 

I am not in a big hurry. I am curious what other competitive products with excellent software will become available over the next year. I wonder if Atik will make the infinity software available for the cylinder shaped and cooled Atik 414? I wouldn't mind paying the additional amount for the Atik 414 if I could use the same software.

#60 DonBoy

DonBoy

Apollo

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:04 PM

I am not in a big hurry. I am curious what other competitive products with excellent software will become available over the next year. I wonder if Atik will make the infinity software available for the cylinder shaped and cooled Atik 414? I wouldn't mind paying the additional amount for the Atik 414 if I could use the same software.

You might want to keep an eye out for the next iteration of AstroLive which hopefully will provide Infinity like features for the Atik 414 color.

Here is a copy of message I received from Kyle the author of AstroLive:

DonBoy,

KGoodwin has replied to a personal conversation entitled "Atik 414 and AstroLive".

KGoodwin said:
I think that it is fair to say that the current AstroLive does nearly everything the Infinity software does plus a lot of other things like telescope mount control.  It is compatible with all the Atik 4-series cameras including the 414EX.  It does lack the automated hot pixel removal functionality.  The new AstroLive USB will support all of this plus much more advanced real time processing.  Nothing currently does anything close to what it will do real time.  The best comparison would be to what imagers do to process their images, but in real time.  It will also have lots of automatic settings so you don't need to fiddle with controls unless you want to get an even better result.

#61 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:53 PM

It will be interesting to see how the AstroLive USB product works out. I have looked at the product website a few years ago and thought it needed a little time to develop. Hopefully AstroLive USB will be a software package that competes well with the other offerings.

#62 ippiu

ippiu

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:57 PM

Yes, don you are right but.....astrolive costs 100 dollars....

The other softwares are all freeware: starlight live, sharpcap, firecapture, infinity, etc...

This is a big, big difference for me....

Edited by ippiu, 04 January 2016 - 04:00 PM.

#63 saguaro

saguaro

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:59 PM

This look like the best idea for color OSC, but many for us cannot spent next thou $ for it. So we need reducers. I digging in Web, but Im still not sure which one will my choice for 825 based camera.

Does Starizona provide Hyperstar fittings for Infinity? They have for Atik 4-series, is it the same?

Yes, Starizona does provide Hyperstar adapters for the Infinity. Just give them a call or send them an email if you want details. I did ask Dean at Starizona about the Infinity a few weeks ago. He sent me this Youtube link for the "Community Observatory" in Placerville, CA that is using the Infinity mounted on a C-14 with Hyperstar. They had just received the Infinity from Starizona and this is their "first light" video:

https://www.youtube....h?v=9gWOlBXf52E

I have a C-14 Edge and would like to get a Hyperstar and camera for casual live viewing (and stacking) of deep sky objects, using one software program that can do it all in real time.  I will be following this thread with interest.

#64 kuba_mysluk

kuba_mysluk

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:45 PM

Saguaro,
Thanks for the very interesting link and info.

Did someone tried Infinity on planets? Just curious...

#65 KGoodwin

KGoodwin

Viking 1

• Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:52 AM

Yes, don you are right but.....astrolive costs 100 dollars....

The other softwares are all freeware: starlight live, sharpcap, firecapture, infinity, etc...

This is a big, big difference for me....

I really wish it didn't. :(  Unfortunately it takes so much time to work on it, and the market is so small, that the cost has to be high in order to get any reasonable return on the investment.

• Relativist, JonNPR, StarMike8SE and 1 other like this

#66 kuba_mysluk

kuba_mysluk

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:10 PM

OK, I did it :) Just ordered Infinity, now waiting.

Kyle, I hope new AstroLive will support Infinity? Saw Atik 4-series on Your webpage.
  • saguaro likes this

#67 saguaro

saguaro

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:21 PM

Kyle, I hope new AstroLive will support Infinity? Saw Atik 4-series on Your webpage.

Did you decide on a focal reducer or Hyperstar for use with the Infinity?

#68 kuba_mysluk

kuba_mysluk

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:33 PM

As usually: the $$$ will decide. If I will find free thou USD it will Hyperstar in future. For now: celestron 6.3.

Or AlanGee if I will find it usefully on 2/3 CCD, somebody posted photos with AlanG as "comet generator", which made me not so enthusiastic about AG Mk II.

#69 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:55 PM

Congrats... Let us know how it goes. I can now officially hold you responsible for the bad weather... : )

#70 kuba_mysluk

kuba_mysluk

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:12 PM

Wasn't me. :)
It is not arrived yet, one/two weeks maybe.

Have You Alan Gee mk II used? I can reach Celestron f6.3 or it, no Optec, Antares, or Meade reducers here.

#71 mega256

mega256

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N of Tampa

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:49 PM

Well,,,,,,I got it...now for the Rain in Tampa.......

I have a 414EX that is on my C14F1.9(hyperstar) that stays on the C14 in the pod..

I like it a lot for eaa and long exposure. And I don't like to move it around on/off much!

It works great and im happy with the set up....

But I needed another camera for my other scope (portable) C8-C11  and a new 80mm

triplet from Astronomics.......maybe next week delivery..

So I decided on another 825 chip camera and just got my Infinity.....

The fit n finish is just as good as my 414ex,but I like the package very much....for my use

it just clears the evolution base.....(im using an original optec 3.3 reducer and holder)

The 414 is great for use in live viewing on NSN,,but when switching subjects,,can be a pain

to do....Lots of cpu power stacking in Astrotoaster...but nice results..

So now Iv got to use the Infinity software...wow...soo easy to do and stack....

Nice to have one program to do what is needed with a usb camera,,,im happy.

But the skys will take a few more days to clear...Ill start a new thread  after..

But after what I have experimented with ,now that I can run the software...I think ill be happy..

(BTW) if using win 10,,make sure u run it as administrator.....or the stacking wont display.

Stacking seams to work well...

Stay tunned

Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0884 (Medium).JPG
  • IMG_0883 (Medium).JPG

Edited by mega256, 08 January 2016 - 01:55 PM.

#72 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:15 PM

Bob, I'll bet that first swing of the Evo with the camera through the base area made you smile.  :grin:

#73 mega256

mega256

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N of Tampa

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:19 PM

Mark....yes I  was.....and still in balance...somewhat ....I could have a little more space by moving the scope up..but when I use the dew shield,,,balance would suffer...

By the way I took 2 dark frames (cover on scope)..30 seconds and 90 seconds.....

I am pleased at the outcome....The software just takes care of it on its own,,,some way...or

the electronics is doing it...

But I had to do Nothing !!  and I sure like that....

ist 30 seconds  then 90 seconds....

Infinity works great with  Artemis Capture,,,just like my 414,but no cooler...So u can use longer exposures.

seams to be faster downloads with infinity software vrs artemis...

Cant wait for some sky test..

You can Push the streatch and see some noise,but for practical stuff I think the

infinity software will be fine.

Attached Thumbnails

• dark 30 sec infinity (Medium).jpg
  • dark 90 sec infinity (Medium).jpg

Edited by mega256, 08 January 2016 - 03:38 PM.

#74 DonBoy

DonBoy

Apollo

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:38 PM

Congratulation Bob, looks like a sweet setup.  Will be interesting to hear and see a comparison between the two especially at 2 minutes for image quality and artifacts (noise, warm pixels, etc.)  Also would be interesting on how much time it takes to get to the finished image between the two cameras.

Also Bob have you tried AstroLive with the Atik 414? 

#75 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:21 AM

Some more captures and final takeaways.

Overall I think the 825 COLOR sensors are very well suited for longer exposure "casual" astrophotography and produce good quality images but I found the image acquisition to be relatively slow for EAA at F3.5 - F4.0. I think these sensors are best suited for a C11 or C14 hyperstar setup which should provide the ideal speed and image scale.

In my view at F3.5 to F4 and with exposures <2min the 825 Color sensors (Infinity, Ultrastar) are best suited for viewing large bright objects like the brightest nebulae, bright globulars and large galaxies.

Again the overall EAA user experience really differentiates this camera and ease of use is excellent.

All captures at f4.3. Filename has the stack size.

Attached Thumbnails

• pacman 5x60s.jpg
  • Running Man 3x60s.jpg
  • m82 8x30s.jpg
  • ngc2905 11x60s.jpg

• DonBoy, JonNPR, Don Rudny and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics